Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I have lived here for all of my nearly 30 years and I still don't actually know where the border between Bloomington and Normal is. But I saw Rich Evans of Red Letter Media wearing a Corn Belters hat in a video and I did a fist pump so I've got that going for me.
It's mostly Division Street ;)

(But seriously, I have the same issue once you go east of Main.)

We mostly do Thunder Aces games instead of Belters, but that's pretty rad.

I am bummed that Nikita Richards didn't even come close. Kathy Michael is awful.

ArgaWarga posted:

I went to IWU and feel pretty much the opposite :waycool:
Hey, me too! Graduated in '97. I don't even recognize campus anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

vyelkin posted:

Also despite losing the governor and senate races in Florida, the most important vote there passed and now 1.4 million former felons are re-enfranchised which could make a huge difference in future elections.

I have a feeling that this is actually going to be the most significant result of the entire election cycle in the future

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Someone I followed long ago on Twitter got really salty after JB was immediately called as the winner last night.

Went on and on about how he should flee the state like everyone else he knew.

I told him to "do it, you pussy."

He blocked me shortly thereafter.

He's not going to do it.

Edit: Bonus tears, his tweets an hour after he blocked me were about grown adults unfollowing people because their political opinions differ. lol

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 7, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao Jeanne Ives is big mad

Ives posted:

Congratulations Chicago!
Now the bailout of your junk rated government will accelerate in earnest as your favored sons and daughters use the rest of the state as an ATM to pay for your bloated, inefficient and corrupt institutions.
That’s really what last night was about.
In case the rest of you willfully uninformed voters across the state were confused about what is next.

Facebook

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 7, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Republicans from the burbs always forget that Chicago and to collar counties are the ones paying for the rest of the state. I imagine she runs again in 4 years, I don't know who else the Republicans send up for governor, but it's a long ways away.

Unrelated, but I was looking up various results and I found that the IL Senate 21st district is currently separated by 12 votes.

Laura Ellman DEM 47,464 50.0%
Michael Connelly REP (i)47,476 50.0%

That, and for all the talk about how much Republicans hate Madigan, they don't even bother to run anyone against him. I know it's a lost cause, but you would think they would at least make him work for it.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 7, 2018

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

All of my Republican friends (not the ones that work in politics but the everyday ones) have been going on and on about how the last two Democratic governors went to jail so Pritzker will too.

Dear god....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be fine with that, we should do it for all politicians. Take an office, spend time in jail proportional to how long you sat there.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

All of my Republican friends (not the ones that work in politics but the everyday ones) have been going on and on about how the last two Democratic governors went to jail so Pritzker will too.

Dear god....

insha'allah

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Ives is one to talk when her career is mostly funded by one rich rear end in a top hat.

Speaking of Republican money, is Rauner still going to keep cash flowing down the ticket or is he done completely?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Republicans from the burbs always forget that Chicago and to collar counties are the ones paying for the rest of the state. I imagine she runs again in 4 years, I don't know who else the Republicans send up for governor, but it's a long ways away.

Aren't their idiots pushing to break Cook County off from the rest of the State? Not realizing that without Cook County, you're basically the poorest state in the country.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thwomp posted:

Edit: Bonus tears, his tweets an hour after he blocked me were about grown adults unfollowing people because their political opinions differ. lol

This is what I find most detestable about Republicans this decade. They consistently do something bad and then accuse everyone else of having done it while stridently claiming that they didn't. Even my previously reasonable family members and coworkers have started doing it.

Dexo posted:

Lmao Jeanne Ives is big mad

Ives posted:

Congratulations Chicago!
Now the bailout of your junk rated government will accelerate in earnest as your favored sons and daughters use the rest of the state as an ATM to pay for your bloated, inefficient and corrupt institutions.
That’s really what last night was about.
In case the rest of you willfully uninformed voters across the state were confused about what is next.
What does that even mean? She's so mad half of those sentences aren't even coherent. It would be laughable if people like her didn't keep getting elected. At least we've been spared her for the next 4 years.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Thwomp posted:

I made a local CHUD bitch look stupid on Facebook so she went to my "employer's" page and wrote a complaint about me in the reviews section. The employer listed is Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company of Scranton, PA.

When I roasted her for trying to doxx me at a fake employer, she tried the Pee-Wee Herman "I meant to do that" defense and then when that didn't work, she blocked me.

On three occasions since, I've had people send me screenshots of comments she makes that people who block others on Facebook are... wait for it... "snowflakes".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

Aren't their idiots pushing to break Cook County off from the rest of the State? Not realizing that without Cook County, you're basically the poorest state in the country.

Yes, most proposals I see are for anything south of I-80 to be broken off. Downstate Illinois would be as poor as Mississippi without the Chicago area.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

But their moral wealth will break the bank!

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
The Onion is quick: Bored J.B. Pritzker Brainstorming New Hobbies To Blow Money On After Winning Election

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Gov.-Elect J.B. Pritzker Backs Off Temporary Tax Plan

Goddamnit.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Maybe JB will be good.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

omg this video made me so angry

i'm renewing my call to impeach him immediately after he legalizes cannabis

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

“Instead I think we’ll focus on what it takes to balance a budget right away,” he said when asked when he’ll introduce a proposal. “We’ve got to work with the legislature and listen to people. Because we’ve got to get 60 percent of the House and the Senate to support a constitutional amendment and then 60 percent of the people of the state to vote for it. And so in order for that to happen we need to make sure that all the ideas are incorporated here. Including the ideas of Republicans.”

No you don't you disingenuous motherfucker you have veto-proof supermajorities in the House and Senate, you don't have to do anything Republicans want ever. God damnit.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

vyelkin posted:

No you don't you disingenuous motherfucker you have veto-proof supermajorities in the House and Senate, you don't have to do anything Republicans want ever. God damnit.

But partisan rancor :ohdear:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Goldurn it. I'm so loving tired of the weakness of rich white democrats.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

In Pritzker’s case I doubt its weakness. He just said whatever to make it palatable for him to win and now that’s that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
ah, i am very surprised that the rich white man is actually not very progressive, and may, in fact, be in league with other rich white men

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I liked that he addressed getting people out of prison , although who knows how long this will take

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Npr pundit saying it'll take years to get the votes for recreational weed

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Npr pundit saying it'll take years to get the votes for recreational weed

Huh? Hasn't every non-binding referendum on the ballots passed with overwhelming support? Am I missing something?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/craignewman/status/1060738178699718657

The last time the Democrats had this much power in Illinois, their main rival was the Whig PArty

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Will County and Lake County turning dem-controlled. Chicago collar counties shifting blue.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

The last time the Democrats had this much power in Illinois, their main rival was the Whig PArty

I'm glad of it

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like having absolutely nothing to say to the majority of the state's population leaves you with no political legs to stand on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Great, cool, glad to hear that in this situation the governor-elect is talking about how what's really important for him is getting Republican buy-in

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Everyone talks about loving bipartisanship right after an election. Normal people love to hear it. It hardly ever means anything.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Sure, everyone talks unity and bipartisanship, but generally, it's in vague generalities, and not starting to slow walk a major campaign promise.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bipartisanship is just one of those meaningless words that exist only for marketing/hype. Like synergy, or yield.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
We're gonna need a new thread title soon. If I might suggest: "Don't blame me, I voted for the OTHER billionaire".

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

A con-con is going to need bipartisan support. 60% is a lot of people. Pritzker won by a landslide and only got 54%. Even 2012 Obama only got 57%. If we start talking about raising taxes or cutting pensions you're going to lose quite a bit of Dem support off the top as well.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Look at the murderer's row of establishment douchebags on his transition team:

TRANSITION COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Chair, Lieutenant Governor-elect Juliana Stratton

Co-Chair, Barbara Bowman

Co-Chair, Mike Carrigan

Co-Chair, Former Governor Jim Edgar

Co-Chair, Sol Flores

Co-Chair, Marty Nesbitt

TRANSITION COMMITTEE STAFF

Chief of Staff, Anne Caprara

Transition Director, Nikki Budzinski

Deputy Transition Director, Sean Rapelyea

Senior Advisor, Former Comptroller Dan Hynes

Senior Advisor, State Representative Christian Mitchell

Senior Advisor, Michael Sacks

Counsel, Jesse Ruiz

I'm still applying for a job.

https://www.jbpritzker.com/jb-pritzker-announces-transition-committee-and-chief-of-staff/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The X-man cometh posted:

This is tragically too long for the thread title, so I went with the other suggestion.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

TRANSITION COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Chair, Lieutenant Governor-elect Juliana Stratton

Co-Chair, Barbara Bowman

Co-Chair, Mike Carrigan

Co-Chair, Former Governor Jim Edgar

Co-Chair, Sol Flores

Co-Chair, Marty Nesbitt

TRANSITION COMMITTEE STAFF

Chief of Staff, Anne Caprara

Transition Director, Nikki Budzinski

Deputy Transition Director, Sean Rapelyea

Senior Advisor, Former Comptroller Dan Hynes

Senior Advisor, State Representative Christian Mitchell

Senior Advisor, Michael Sacks

Counsel, Jesse Ruiz

I'm still applying for a job.

https://www.jbpritzker.com/jb-pritzker-announces-transition-committee-and-chief-of-staff/

:lol: at even letting Jim Edgar stay in this state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The marijuana stuff seems like a no-brainer. It has massive support within the public. It would bring in some new revenue and jobs. Help rural areas that are hurt in the traditional farming industries. Help urban areas by providing new retail business. Probably enhance tourism too.

Then the massive affect it has on the law side. Getting rid of bullshit stops and searches because you "smell some weed". No more bullshit arrests over having a little weed. Unclogging the courts and prison system.

I know it comes down to Madigan who has been on the fence (and likely just looking to whoever will line his pockets first). But if the Democrats in this state would like to garner some goodwill right away with a lot of people, this should be a priority.

With that said it won't happen.