Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

These days, it seems like everyone online is very online, all the time. And since that now includes the elderly (like us) I wanted to know if anyone else has seen their family members become Very Online lately.

My stepfather is constantly trying to make me watch leftist Youtube videos, talking about Jimmy Dore and Majority Report, and sending me 5-year-old memes but now they're about Trump (my mother does this too, but they're 10-year-old memes and they're just about how animals are cute). I don't know how or when it happened, I didn't tell him about any of this. He's very C-SPAM and it's off-putting in a 60-something man.

Anyone else getting emails from grandma about Q or rare pepes from their uncle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
seems like a fairly political thread op

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

seems like a fairly political thread op
Yes, that's what it is. Not that it's hilarious when a 65-year-old asks if you've "seen this great meme" then shows you the "one does not simply walk into Mordor" picture.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get into mordor then?

Did they say?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robin Williams posted:

How do you get into mordor then?

Did they say?
It doesn't go into any further detail, I'm afraid. That's the kind of "surrealist/surrealism" humor that is popular now.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Recently my mum keeps telling me about YouTube videos she watches. She had an extremely animated and enthusiastic conversation at me about those videos where colourblind people are given chromatic glasses for the first time. She likes baby laughing videos but also watches a lot of self help stuff so I can only pray she doesn't wander into anything political since she is the most naive credulous rube imaginable concerning politics so her ideology is whatever she has last been exposed to.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The internet sucks and makes normal people horrible. It should be dismantled and burned.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

Recently my mum keeps telling me about YouTube videos she watches. She had an extremely animated and enthusiastic conversation at me about those videos where colourblind people are given chromatic glasses for the first time. She likes baby laughing videos but also watches a lot of self help stuff so I can only pray she doesn't wander into anything political since she is the most naive credulous rube imaginable concerning politics so her ideology is whatever she has last been exposed to.
A friend of mine started watching Youtube videos "from both sides" to "learn the issues" because she doesn't really follow the news, then excitedly texting me everything she'd learned, which was a mishmash of half-formed Youtube blogger ideas.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The thing about the internet is that everything people type is always about you and you only.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Moon Atari posted:

I can only pray she doesn't wander into anything political since she is the most naive credulous rube imaginable concerning politics so her ideology is whatever she has last been exposed to.

show her those autogenerated Elsa/screaming baby videos but tell her it's a series of intricate metaphors about the pros and cons of the gold standard vs. fiat money, then take notes on what her politics becomes and report back. I'm super curious.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
yes but for fortnite

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018
I liked 00s internet.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I don't do Facebook so I miss out on all the weird family stuff.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
my mum is VERY ONLINE

Very
Excited
Regarding
Your

Overly
Niche
Learning
In
Nightly
Emissions

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Woden posted:

I don't do Facebook so I miss out on all the weird family stuff.
Me neither, but I have a phone and they have a lot of free time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Linux Pirate posted:

The internet sucks and makes normal people horrible. It should be dismantled and burned.

This. Gobekli Tepe is where the internet was first discovered and that's why they buried it.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Linux Pirate posted:

I am starting to come to this point of view.

I have an old friend who somehow discovered 4chan and it's actually destroyed his mind. Not that he was all that stable to begin with but now I can't really even talk to him, it's like a mind virus has taken him over and turned him into a creepy conspiracy person. This is someone that I've know for decades and the shift in his personality was so dramatic that it actually scared me.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

My dad has started dropping phrases like "Liberal Elite" and "The Donald" into conversation which I think suggests he's a bit too internet these days. When he said liberal elite I laughed and asked what site he'd picked that up from, and he told me actually it was a concept he had invented himself.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
My mom loves watching 'Top 10 amazing X-factor audition' compilations. At least she's stopped sharing minion memes, but my aunts still do.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
my parents were on again off again drug addicts when they were younger. after getting a smartphone a year ago my father started a pretty bad coke habit. something about scrolling through facebook just put his addict side in overdrive.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
My grandma likes to troll people for the keks.

Edit: I don't even know if I phrased that joke correctly. I'm probably using "keks" wrong.

The Dennis System fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 9, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gently caress Face Book

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Internet Makes You Stupid™

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
When I saw my sister a few months ago she had bought Zootropolis along with a bunch of other dvds from a second hand store and I referred to it offhand as the "furry Disney movie". From her puzzled response I inferred that she did not know what furries are, which was surprising to me but also endearing as I had suspected she was at least internet enough to know what a furry is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shin00bie posted:

My dad has started dropping phrases like "Liberal Elite" and "The Donald" into conversation which I think suggests he's a bit too internet these days. When he said liberal elite I laughed and asked what site he'd picked that up from, and he told me actually it was a concept he had invented himself.

i think your dad is the donald then

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

how many of your family members are 9-11 truthers

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
on the other hand, my brother is a bit too online for my comfort and occasionally uses terms like "SJW" in real life, which I pretend not to understand. so maybe my sister was doing the same thing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my mother was addicted to an MMO 10 years ago. now she trolls people on facebook

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nah. i've got a healthy family and a good relationship with them, op

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
my mum just does crosswords online and occasionally buys stuff. i think the only other websites she visits are to cheat on her crosswords lol

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Jose posted:

i think your dad is the donald then

This is most troubling.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

"easy D"

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Goon project: let's fabricate some weird YouTube personality ala Jimmy Dore or Sargon of Akkad or whatever, but with only the bizarrest of niche political ideas to share with our idiot parents. Even being just plain loving weird is better than being extremely online

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My mum first became online well before I did, through dedication to a forum for women obsessed with the Outlander/Cross Stitch series of novels. I believe it was called The Ladies of Lallybroch forum (or LoL forum). The worst argument I have had with her in recent years concerns facebook. She is obsessed with it and has a large group of friends who manage to get into embarrassing online teen style drama despite being in their fifties. The argument was that I had neglected her on mother's day. I had sent her flowers the day before, then taken her out to lunch and given her a decently expensive gift. She was upset and felt neglected because I hadn't posted a photo and comment about how I love my mum, like some of her friend's kids. She knows I don't use my facebook account but to her not engaging in it isn't a perfectly acceptable personal choice, it is a serious faux pas equivalent to showing up at a party and not talking to anyone. She was outright crying that I never post about her (I haven't posted anything on facebook in at least five years).

Whereas my dad has a Facebook account for the purpose of organising events with his cycling team, but he doesn't have any interest in friending me or any other family member.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
oof that guy deep dicking your mom on the reg sounds like a real loser, but is this really the right venue to work through your unresolved oedipal issues?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol that another mod pulled the trigger, for face reasons

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

do you think mods chat to each other via third party email totally circumventing forum private messages?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That’s just a crazy conspiracy theory. Now get back to your posting, citizen.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

numberoneposter posted:

do you think mods chat to each other via third party email totally circumventing forum private messages?

They all live together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is this a Two Worlds thing?

Go away, Two Worlds.

• Locked thread