Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh. Pretty sure that's not going to be the case, dipshit.

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1060458050312491008

okay so this is an example of how i'm confused about how this poo poo is going. because I'll see EU statements like "oh, yeah, we're going to reach a deal" and then there'll be a statement like this saying "NAAWWWWW! NO! N.... NOOO!" and every loving time i glance at this story its something like chequers or northern ireland or something. and i have no idea what the gently caress is going on, because there's no coherent thread to any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

okay so this is an example of how i'm confused about how this poo poo is going. because I'll see EU statements like "oh, yeah, we're going to reach a deal" and then there'll be a statement like this saying "NAAWWWWW! NO! N.... NOOO!" and every loving time i glance at this story its something like chequers or northern ireland or something. and i have no idea what the gently caress is going on, because there's no coherent thread to any of it.

the UK thinks it's bargaining from a position of power, it is very much not

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

the UK thinks it's bargaining from a position of power, it is very much not

Surely May is aware of that by now, given the number of times the EU has publicly laughed in her face. It's just the rest of the Tories who are completely disconnected from reality.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've watched with an outsider's interest for months and I honestly can't decide if the Tories are too stupid to understand the implications of a no deal Brexit or if they somehow think they'll profit from the disaster.

For a long while I was leaning towards "profit" but watching that Calais video makes me lean back towards "absolute morons".

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
It's both

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Tories stand to benefit from Brexit, or at least believe they will, and one of the perks of this belief is that it precludes needing to learn anything that might contradict it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lol

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've watched with an outsider's interest for months and I honestly can't decide if the Tories are too stupid to understand the implications of a no deal Brexit or if they somehow think they'll profit from the disaster.

For a long while I was leaning towards "profit" but watching that Calais video makes me lean back towards "absolute morons".

They're unable to think of their country in realistic terms. Their self-image is still of an empire, wounded but still powerful, not playing with the big boys but smacking them around. It's national narcisism. Add utter incompetence to the mix and voila.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybre they thought they still owned the Pale of Calais

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Without denying for a moment that they are absolute morons of the highest caliber, I also suspect a lot of it comes from the hopefully misguided conviction that whatever the outcome ultimately is, they personally won't end up feeling the pinch.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they are probably right

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zeroisanumber posted:

the ones who think they can profit are smart enough to put the absolute morons in positions of power, secure in the knowledge it will be hosed sideways without implicating them

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1060794623998738432?s=19

So May has finally picked which group to screw. I'm eagerly awaiting a DUP confidence vote and a January election.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

tarbrush posted:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1060794623998738432?s=19

So May has finally picked which group to screw. I'm eagerly awaiting a DUP confidence vote and a January election.

a very good sequel tweet to https://twitter.com/thejeremyvine/status/1046458734841655296

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Border in the Irish sea you say?

tiocfaidh ár lá

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I mean, unified Ireland would be a nice thing to come out of this whole cluster gently caress, and the DUP making it happen would be even better, but I'd rather not tank our economy for a generation to make it happen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it slaps that there is no accountability in the UK government and no-one knows where power or legitimacy flows from because we never wrote it down and we've been LARPing a functional country

it loving rips bro

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

If any kind of referendum or general election is forthcoming, let's wait till after winter.

I keep reading that as Starvation Poll. Which is absurd because you guys will have adequate food

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there will be starvation?
no, adequate food!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I've always worried about what the Tories consider is 'adequate' food for what they consider the riffraff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

tarbrush posted:

I've always worried about what the Tories consider is 'adequate' food for what they consider the riffraff.

some sort of cake

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
What would it take for Wales to want independence, after Scotland and Northern Ireland eventually break away?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

What would it take for Wales to want independence, after Scotland and Northern Ireland eventually break away?

Some form of a functional economy that didn't depend in every way on England.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Some form of a functional economy that didn't depend in every way on England.

Based on recent events, I don't think a functioning economy or the desire to retain one would necessarily prevent an independence vote. For an example: Brexit.

twoday
May 4, 2005

What is the Welsh economy based on? Leeks?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

twoday posted:

It's sheep, my dude. Obviously. :jerkbag:

twoday
May 4, 2005

The Welsh economy is built on

information

Information

INFORMATION

https://twitter.com/WelshIndyMemes/status/1017861906894376961?s=19

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twoday posted:

information

Information

INFORMATION

Who is "him"?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lmfao

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

twoday posted:

a surplus of consonants

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Border in the Irish sea you say?

tiocfaidh ár lá

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

twoday posted:

information

Information

INFORMATION

bonnie Prince Charlie

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

No-deal plan ‘will include new border in Irish Sea’, Theresa May letter leaked to the Times suggests

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

prefect posted:

Who is "him"?

Owain Glyndwr. One of our three national heroes. Set up the first Welsh parliament in Machynlledd, killed a bunch of Anglos for cool and good reasons. Actually existed, which ranks him just above King Arthur. And namesake for Meibion Glyndwr 'Sons of Glyndwr' who are the group responsible for burning a handful of empty, anglo-owned summer homes.

So a pretty decent legacy all around. I wouldn't do anything for him though. Not unless he paid me to, I guess.

skaboomizzy posted:

a surplus of consonants

Well Ws and Ys are vowels. DD, LL, CH, RH, NG & FF are singular consonants and there's no J, Q, X or Z so actually I think we the same number of consonants as your filthy pig language. :eng101:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Saith posted:

Well Ws and Ys are vowels. DD, LL, CH, RH, NG & FF are singular consonants and there's no J, Q, X or Z so actually I think we the same number of consonants as your filthy pig language. :eng101:

My eye is twitching.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://twitter.com/NevilleSouthall/status/1060994814609711105

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

twoday posted:

information

Information

INFORMATION

Also: Nissan

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

twoday posted:

Cheese.

The Welsh make the best cheddar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dragons and dragon accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates