Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kweh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

gently caress

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In Training posted:

They should make a Spirits Within 2

would unironically be into this tbh

wouldn't be into the bankruptcy so much

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

We may not ever get an actual ending, but, at least we have the Second Annual Lestallum Assassin's Creed™: Origins Festival.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the game has an actual ending, noob

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

KWEH
Legendary Mount

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

Don't bother, he's retarded now

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

It's real good, too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

This, it’s a really good ending too

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Everything after you get on the train to Niflheim felt really off and disjointed to me, and the last few chapters were where the game's time in development hell became a lot more apparent. There's that story beat about Prompto actually being some kind of magitek robot that doesn't have much of an impact at all on the story and it seemed like something that was originally meant to be more important, but got shelved. I was buttmad that you never actually got to visit that pretty floating forest island kingdom that Luna comes from and it basically exists to get blown up in a brief cutscene. I was expecting Insomnia to be a lot more of a challenging and sprawling final dungeon than it ended up being, especially since most of the dungeons you go to earlier in the game were longer and felt more coherent. There were bits and pieces of some subplot that suddenly popped into the story about some old war between Shiva and Ifrit that seemed interesting, but it also felt like yet another thing that was meant to be more important but got mostly scrapped. You don't even get to find out if your friends survived or if they died offscreen fighting a bunch of mid level enemies, which really REALLY irked me. Overall, the entire last act felt like some kind of weird alpha build with chunks haphazardly cut out at random intervals... But at least the last fight with Ardyn was cool, and that mid-credits scene with the flashback at the camp was really really good.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Everything after you get on the train to Niflheim felt really off and disjointed to me, and the last few chapters were where the game's time in development hell became a lot more apparent. There's that story beat about Prompto actually being some kind of magitek robot that doesn't have much of an impact at all on the story and it seemed like something that was originally meant to be more important, but got shelved. I was buttmad that you never actually got to visit that pretty floating forest island kingdom that Luna comes from and it basically exists to get blown up in a brief cutscene. I was expecting Insomnia to be a lot more of a challenging and sprawling final dungeon than it ended up being, especially since most of the dungeons you go to earlier in the game were longer and felt more coherent. There were bits and pieces of some subplot that suddenly popped into the story about some old war between Shiva and Ifrit that seemed interesting, but it also felt like yet another thing that was meant to be more important but got mostly scrapped. You don't even get to find out if your friends survived or if they died offscreen fighting a bunch of mid level enemies, which really REALLY irked me. Overall, the entire last act felt like some kind of weird alpha build with chunks haphazardly cut out at random intervals... But at least the last fight with Ardyn was cool, and that mid-credits scene with the flashback at the camp was really really good.

I don’t really think doing all the story filler would make sense. The game is about noctis and I think leaving aspects of the story to interpretation makes it more enjoyable and keeps it well paced. I think explaining everything in detail is lazy storytelling. XV actually does storytelling and character development really well imo

The ending was great and the final parts of the game moved along quickly outside of the niflheim parts.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I thought the broad strokes storytelling was really cool, it was like playing a game version of a tone poem where all the emotional content is there but in the most extreme compact form. It also made it so that all the meaningful interactions you see in the game are just these four guys bullshitting with each other, which is a real powerful philosophy for storytelling in my opinion

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The ending made me cry like a bitch so the game def did its job well on making me care about the characters. The story seemed ... good? for what was there. Noctis' journey was well done but the broad strokes are def lacking. It's a very obviously unfinished game that still somehow manages to get its main job done well imo.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's crazy how they made a good new mainline FF game and sunk it in a mire of bad management fueled by greed. FFXV is a good game, it doesn't need 30 spinoffs. The world also doesn't need a FF7 remake but that didn't stop them from bleeding money into it.

agreed. although i would play the remake if it ever comes out

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

what the gently caress

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God I forgot how horrifying that camel chocobo looks.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This is worse than tall Mario

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I kind of agree with Lumpy that the main story of XV feels needlessly depressing and rushed, particularly the weird time jump. I mostly played it because the camping and hunting was fun, all the stuff about the magic ghost dads just didn't work for me, I dunno. It has an ending, it just feels rushed, and the tone of the story didn't match what you spent most of the game doing.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think it has a better ending than most other Final Fantasy games. I didn’t like Chapter 13 from a gameplay perspective the first time through but my stance on it has softened since then.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The mid credits scene is probably my favorite moment in any FF game. For a series that usually operates at a scale of maximalist melodrama it was surprisingly muted and earnest...I loved it

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In Training posted:

The mid credits scene is probably my favorite moment in any FF game. For a series that usually operates at a scale of maximalist melodrama it was surprisingly muted and earnest...I loved it

Yeah that scene was so understated yet evoked a strong response out of me. The back half of that game certainly had some issues but 15 was a fantastic surprise as a whole.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If you're still wondering if your friends are alive after that final campfire scene then I don't know what to tell you

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

:cry:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Galaxy Brain watching 2001: Cool so they're just not gonna explain anything huh. Awesome.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Waiting for the Twin Peaks dlc to hopefully explain this mess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you're still wondering if your friends are alive after that final campfire scene then I don't know what to tell you

It's less about it being unfinished and more about it feeling rushed. There's an unearned tone shift in the third act

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I haven't played it in 2 years so idk for sure but I'm fairly certain poo poo hits the fan about halfway through the game and only gets worse. Isn't Ignis blind for most of the 2nd half? Not remembering the neck breaking tonal shift you're talking about

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I haven't played it in 2 years so idk for sure but I'm fairly certain poo poo hits the fan about halfway through the game and only gets worse. Isn't Ignis blind for most of the 2nd half? Not remembering the neck breaking tonal shift you're talking about

All of that happens in like the last 10 percent of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Not really...it seems unbalanced because you can spend 50 hours doing whatever you want in between story bits, but that happens to all open world games.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Highly doubtful of this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

noctis was sent off to marry his girlfriend to be protected from the horrors of the potential war, hes living in a daydream in a decaying world, it makes sense it all falls apart once the marriage is ruined

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Not really...it seems unbalanced because you can spend 50 hours doing whatever you want in between story bits, but that happens to all open world games.

It all happens after the point of no return at least. After the game stops being open world.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

like then entire point of the plot is he needs to step up and be the true king the world needs of him lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Chapter 3 lasted 30 hours but the last chapter only lasted 30 minutes. What gives?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

It all happens after the point of no return at least. After the game stops being open world.

That's like chapter 8 of 14 or something. I really don't get this issue but maybe I will if I ever replay the Royale with Cheese edition

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
To be fair, the whole snowy area of the empire was originally planned to be another explorable region as was, I think, the setting for the final few chapters. They added stuff for the actual final chapter in the Royal Edition so it's longer than it once was but it's still tiny

I like the final parts a lot but it's certainly pretty clear a bunch of stuff was cut when you play through it

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 9, 2018

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

15 is one of the few FF games where I really felt like we were preventing The End Of The World in the end game.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

15 is one of the few FF games where I really felt like we were preventing The End Of The World in the end game.

The timeskip into darkworld is amazing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tao of lmao posted:

Same. DQXI gave me similar feels on a smaller scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the timeskip is actually my primary complaint, but I guess I'm quibbling with a series that frequently uses amnesia as a plot point, so w/e. it's a good game either way.