Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
LMFAO the Florida ballot resolution owns. They banned vaping indoors and also offshore drilling in one measure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like the republican platform is monstrous evil on racism, sexism, homophobia, etc but like, even britebart or something would be seen as being pretty progressive if you time traveled it back a pretty small number of generations.

Eh, I kinda disagree here. Your point is arguable but even in the late 70's / early 1980's marijuana legalization and gay rights were popular positions, they just were not politically acceptable positions -- much like single payer health care today, they were broadly popular but no one in political power was willing to advocate for them.

In contrast, though, outright racism was the reverse; systemic racism had strong support from political elites, but *nobody* was outspokenly, brazenly nazi racist in the way many are today. There's a reason Nazis are the villains in Blues Brothers -- they were ridiculous.

The open acceptance of outright white nationalism by large swathes of the right is a dramatic backslide towards reactionary right-wing authoritarianism that would not have been even remotely acceptable in any public forum at any time from the 40's to . . poo poo, just like five or ten years ago.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

kidkissinger posted:

This is complete bullshit. Demand evidence.

Wait wait, is literally the only evidence of the claim "Brenda Snipes withholding information" is via Rick Scott's lawsuit?

Is there any legal reason why a conservative lawyer might assume the claim is true from the lawsuit being filed?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1060900532481679360

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

His best role may be texas dem party chair or DNC chair.

Jesus, please don't take him away we need him

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

1337JiveTurkey posted:

This is the first Friday after the elections and with the new acting attorney general. A big indictment today would make killing the investigation in the short term downright radioactive, especially if it requires the acting AG to straight up say "No, we're not going to prosecute Donald Trump Jr. for reasons we're not going to disclose."

DOes the new acting AG have to approve any new indictments?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Beto sucks and is a centrist dem , he only didn’t suck in comparison to TED CRUZ. Did this election not show you that you can’t win on being the slightly less heinous republican ? People want leftism .

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait wait, is literally the only evidence of the claim "Brenda Snipes withholding information" is via Rick Scott's lawsuit?

Is there any legal reason why a conservative lawyer might assume the claim is true from the lawsuit being filed?

they actually did gently caress with the primary vote

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

Jesus, please don't take him away we need him

His planet needs him

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Beto sucks and is a centrist dem , he only didn’t suck in comparison to TED CRUZ. Did this election not show you that you can’t win on being the slightly less heinous republican ? People want leftism .

Bring back the Trump thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Koalas Massacre posted:

I think it's a big (and dangerous) mistake to lean too much on the "young people are more progressive" trope. Especially when it seems to be more like "they support progress for white people"

Yeah, this has been some "conventional wisdom" that has gone around a lot but I don't think it's bearing out at all.

Young people are moving to cities in high numbers, and that does tend to lead to a group becoming more progressive, but in a lot of cities (like my own, Madison), it's a version of pseudo-progressivism that mixes together a generous helping of "support causes that mostly benefit white people" with a dash of "NIMBY."

But young people who don't move to cities are staying as conservative as their parents, and that means they have a lot of guns, love it when black people get shot, and keep wielding a disproportionate amount of electoral power.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Beto is a progressive; he supports M4All, explicitly.

That said yes that's why he did so well in texas, because he was explicitly progressive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

I'm sorry that Beto O'Rourke failed to win the extremely vulnerable Republican Senate seat of Texas

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1060903143184257024

This press conference sounds loving great.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Bring back the Trump thread.

Yes.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ahahahaha what?!

Can he really not remember a year and a half ago?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Parents posted:

LMFAO the Florida ballot resolution owns. They banned vaping indoors and also offshore drilling in one measure lol

Wait how the gently caress did those end up as part of the same amendment? That's loving hilarious

Also I'm glad it passed

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

they actually did gently caress with the primary vote

Yes that's not in contention, the conservative I'm talking with just claimed and presented as true the claim that Brenda Snipes (iirc the Broward County election official?) is withholding information regarding how many ballots remain to be counted. However after the initial response to my post here I went and googled it and so far the only evidence that exists of this is Rick Scott.

Is Rick Scott the sole source of this claim or is there anything else?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

axeil posted:

As the Pod Save America guys pointed out Beto, Abrams and Gillum all did way better running leftist campaigns than Heitkamp, Donnelly and McCaskill did running mushy centrist campaigns.

Manchin and Tester were the only centrists that won and I think that was more about them knowing their states well than their positions.
:thunk:

Is it just a 'thing' now to compare senate races to governor races across vastly different states?

I mean, by what possible metric could you meaningfully compare Heitkamp's performance in North Dakota to Gillum's performance in Florida? If anything, that comparison makes the 'leftist' Gillum (what?) look worse than the 'centrist' Heitkamp (what??) - at least Heitkamp has an excuse for why a Democratic senator couldn't compete in a deep red state like North Dakota, but a supposedly strong candidate like Gillum shouldn't struggle so hard in the eternally purple state of Florida.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Beto is a progressive; he supports M4All, explicitly.

That said yes that's why he did so well in texas, because he was explicitly progressive.

He also did well because the Tea Party is slowly losing popularity in Texas even among Republican voters. Tea Party candidates generally did, like, 5-10 points worse than establishment GOP ones

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I’m going to assume the Trump can’t help but lie about everything rule applies here.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Quorum posted:

I think I agree and that's why these discussions are ultimately so circuitous and recurrent, especially in a roughly two-month period where no new data is coming in about how one should interpret a statement of Pelosi's, so every new statement of Pelosi's just gets interpreted according to our baseline beliefs and then we yell at each other when the output differs.

Can't disagree. I think for people anywhere to the left of Democratic Centrists though, you're kind of anticipating that they will suck and it's just a question of degrees. In my mind the best case is that they'll eat up 2 years with useless dithering on Russiagate and Trump's tax returns to finally prove that Trump did crimes and isn't a real rich person which will ultimately have all the impact of a fart in a hurricane. In a less ideal scenario, I could see the Democrats "reaching across the aisle to achieve bipartisan consensus solutions" and gut Medicare, Social Security, and other programs to offset the whole blown in the budget by Trump's tax cuts in an effort to prove themselves the real smart, reasonable, financial conservatives.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

He also did well because the Tea Party is slowly losing popularity in Texas even among Republican voters. Tea Party candidates generally did, like, 5-10 points worse than establishment GOP ones

actual real progressive policy can drive out fascist bullshit because it's a real answer to people's problems and fascism is a fake answer. Of course people don't always listen but :shrug:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Donny Goodbrains, everyone.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

By the way, do you think Beto would have won if Texas didn't have straight ticket automatic voting and voters would have to go out of their way to mark Ted Cruz?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Eh, I kinda disagree here. Your point is arguable but even in the late 70's / early 1980's marijuana legalization and gay rights were popular positions, they just were not politically acceptable positions -- much like single payer health care today, they were broadly popular but no one in political power was willing to advocate for them.

Uh... I think you might be misremembering here.

In the early 80's, the response to the question:

quote:

Do you think gay or lesbian relations between consenting adults should or should not be legal?

was 35% Yes and 57% No.

Make sure to read that again.

That is not gay marriage. That is "should it be illegal to be in a consenting gay relationship?" and nearly 6 in 10 Americans said it should be a crime.

79% of people said pot should be illegal in 1982.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

:thunk:

Is it just a 'thing' now to compare senate races to governor races across vastly different states?

I mean, by what possible metric could you meaningfully compare Heitkamp's performance in North Dakota to Gillum's performance in Florida? If anything, that comparison makes the 'leftist' Gillum (what?) look worse than the 'centrist' Heitkamp (what??) - at least Heitkamp has an excuse for why a Democratic senator couldn't compete in a deep red state like North Dakota, but a supposedly strong candidate like Gillum shouldn't struggle so hard in the eternally purple state of Florida.
Honestly I take more issue with comparing senate races to governor races than comparing North Dakota to Florida.

Governor races are almost always Hideously Local, to such an extant that I don't feel like you can draw meaningful conclusions from comparing Gillum to Abram.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm sorry that Beto O'Rourke failed to win the extremely vulnerable Republican Senate seat of Texas

What are the best parts of Beto O'Rourke's political platform? What are the policies that have led people to vote for him, as opposed to voting against Ted Cruz?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Uh... I think you might be misremembering here.

In the early 80's, the response to the question:

was 35% Yes and 57% No.

Make sure to read that again.

That is not gay marriage. That is "should it be illegal to be in a consenting gay relationship?" and nearly 6 in 10 Americans said it should be a crime.

79% of people said pot should be illegal in 1982.

Your numbers seem reasonable, but you can't just give numbers with no source

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is liberalism right here, to dismissively write off an entire state as somehow too underdeveloped and/or dumb to vote for anything other than a Republican, myopically ignoring a history of racism, disenfranchisement, and abandonment by the Democratic Party.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

twice burned ice posted:

Your numbers seem reasonable, but you can't just give numbers with no source

Gallup with historical gay rights questions:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx

Pew with pot question:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/08/americans-support-marijuana-legalization/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060907238024507392

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder if the spineless democrats, known for their ability to be very tough on Trump, will do anything about this. I'm sure Nancy and Chuck are working on it right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

By the way, do you think Beto would have won if Texas didn't have straight ticket automatic voting and voters would have to go out of their way to mark Ted Cruz?

I don't know. I guess we'll find out in 2020 how straight ticket voting affects things

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Trump just appoints people he doesnt know so that its not a lie when he says "barely knew him" when they get indicted.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

I wonder if the spineless democrats, known for their ability to be very tough on Trump, will do anything about this. I'm sure Nancy and Chuck are working on it right now.
What would you like them to do. Right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

This is liberalism right here, to dismissively write off an entire state as somehow too underdeveloped and/or dumb to vote for anything other than a Republican, myopically ignoring a history of racism, disenfranchisement, and abandonment by the Democratic Party.

I'm not dismissing the loving state. I live there! What I mean is that he did literally 15 points better than the last (much more centrist) Democratic senate candidate. Maybe someone more left or right would have done better, I don't know, maybe a full on DSA candidate would have won (was there one? I don't remember), but it's pretty silly to look at that and all the success in down-ballot races and say, well, he hosed up, what an rear end in a top hat.

Texas demonstrably has a lot of Republicans and also has a lot of disenfranchisement and low voter registration among many groups and he still managed to do that!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what? seriously, what the hell. is he that loving dumb.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mueller, who headed the FBI, wasn't confirmed by the Senate.............

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060908243705384961

Kellyanne is in the corner singing into a cucumber.

Someone's going to retire earlier than she thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what? seriously, what the hell. is he that loving dumb.

Yes. There answer to "Is Trump really that dumb?" is ALWAYS yes.