Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

It's trivially easy to prove that he was a big fuckwit, and that he deliberately stoked macho bullshit and homophobia, and that his antisemitism was deliberate and preplanned, and that he didn't just 'go a bit mad', but people continue to believe that he had some kind of redeeming quality.
He had an eye for theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh, vid of the Phil Hammond thing I posted earlier:

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1060608722999959554

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm already an apostate, how much worse can it get?

Is there anywhere good for learning how to do crosswords? I'm trying to teach myself with the Guardian cryptic. I can manage a fair few on the easier days, and then with the answers revealed I can at least work backwards to figure out the moon-logic, but I can't even understand half of today's answers.

"Sugar hit cut in size" (7) Glucose That's only half the clue! Where does "cut in size" even come into it?
"He, locked in by me, capitally does the job in the kitchen" (5) chefs Okay, it's "he" in the middle because it's "locked in" but cfs isn't "me, capitally"

I'd take the first one as referring to cutin, which is a biopolymer that makes up the waxy coating on leaves, which produce glucose, the sugar hit, from photosynthesis, but I find it can be easy to come up with all sorts of tenuous poo poo when working clues backwards.

e;

Tesseraction posted:

there I was thinking it was because sucrose is the common table sugar and "cut in size" is it breaking into glucose and fructose

but then I loving hate cryptic crosswords

Or yeah, this.

Still B.A.E fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 9, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah, there's no actual book learning in there, it's all wordplay and punnery.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He had an eye for theater.
He was a better painter than George W Bush. I'll give him that one.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Every time someone praises an aspect of Hitler just tell them he was a zionist and see how they react. :kensay:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hitler wanted to give all the Jews a nice home in Israel but then a 10 year old Arab boy with a rock forced him to murder them. :bensay:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"He, locked in by me, capitally does the job in the kitchen" (5) chefs Okay, it's "he" in the middle because it's "locked in" but cfs isn't "me, capitally"

Yes, it is. CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the more commonly known name for myalgic encephalitis, or ME.

E: Have sex with a dyslexic household goddess, is what I just did (4, 6)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 9, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jimy Savile?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Sugar hit cut in size" (7) Glucose That's only half the clue! Where does "cut in size" even come into it?

The sugar is your hint their, the cryptic element is 'hit cut in size" which will mean a word for hit cut (probably a letter or two trimmed off) inside a word for size.

Cosh is hit, take off the h for cos. Not sure how Glue is size but assume it's some weird arachic thingy

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

I'm gonna be honest I envy that a bit. My parents are extremely racist and homophobic and I always have to hold myself back a bit when calling them out on their bullshit because you know, they're my parents, and also because they're getting more and more senile every year and they might die at any time now so I don't want to have any bad blood between us. It's a bit frustrating I guess. Some of my best friends are gay and I have to hide this from them.

I remember in kindergarten I was basically a child nazi because I fully took in my parents' views. I literally said stuff like "Hitler went a bit too far but he had the right idea, he was a military genius" when I was 4 Jesus loving Christ

Military genius what the loving christ.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

Yes, it is. CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the more commonly known name for myalgic encephalitis, or ME.

But the structure of the sentence means that he is capitalised, not me.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's a cryptic clue, so the punctuation is misinformation by design.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, you have to pretty much ignore the sentence structure/punctuation.

"He, locked in by me, capitally does the job in the kitchen" (5)

'he' locked in by (me, capitally) / 'does the job in the kitchen'

'he' inside ME, ME = CFS, gives you CheFS which means 'does the job in the kitchen'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And meanwhile the coffee break crossword has the clues "does job in kitchen (5)" and "sugar (7)" without all that other poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
cryptic clue (7, 4)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Do English crosswords do that thing Israeli ones do where occasionally the clue will just be something crazy obscure and dumb like 'a river in asia' or '16th century composer'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

people continue to believe that he had some kind of redeeming quality.

I can think of at least one of his actions that were mind-blowing.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Miftan posted:

Do English crosswords do that thing Israeli ones do where occasionally the clue will just be something crazy obscure and dumb like 'a river in asia' or '16th century composer'

Not the cryptics, no. That's pretty much how american crosswords work though.

Edit: favourite clue: 'Push off, Dorothy, he isn't coming' (5)

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Not in the cryptic ones, but in the general big ones yes. Cryptic would have "composes a wank into a sock, baroquely" or something like that.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Miftan posted:

Not really but the sunday times has a General Knowledge one like that I do

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
No idea what people get out of cryptic crosswords. Absolutely the most masochistic and least fulfilling way to spend an evening.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

No idea what people get out of cryptic crosswords. Absolutely the most masochistic and least fulfilling way to spend an evening.

Excuse me I'm pretty sure that's watching Only Connect, which I also do...

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kustomkarkommando posted:

Only Connect is ridiculously hard, but I <3 Victoria Coren Mitchell

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Only Connect is ridiculously hard, but I <3 Victoria Coren Mitchell

I love her delivering jokes to deathly silence

there's something about her pausing for laughter that never comes that makes it funnier

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bad for Corbyn? (10)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just blew through half of a G "quiptic" (easy cryptic) crossword while waiting for a meeting to start, now worried that I might be a crossword guy

I still struggle to start with properly cryptic ones though

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

The convoluted missing vowels ones are the best. Especially last years final, where all the categories could have contained an Only Connect related answer ("hard things" "walls" etc.) but none of them did.

Or "movie titles reduced by one" Ocean's Ten, Six Samurai, Ninehundred and Ninty-nine thousand nine-hundred and ninety-nine dollar baby.

Or "pairs of homonyms" where you have the teams trying to very quickly, and very carefully, say stuff like "polish and Polish" "August and august"

It's wonderful.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Chucat posted:

Military genius what the loving christ.

Yeah, my parents, just like every single fascist idiot, just repeat things they never actually verified as if they were absolute truth. Growing up was both funny and sad, let me tell you.

A bit of critical thinking would do the world a whole lotta good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

[Israeli puzzles]

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The convoluted missing vowels ones are the best.
Now I know they do that one!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I've come up with some poo poo clues for you guys to guess!

Tackles cockney lies head on. (7)

Christ! Too many gay frogs! (6)

Bad for Jeremy Corbyn. (9)

Plucking, but not in the garden room. (9)

Untruths, spread like butter. (5)

It snows indoors, again. (7)

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

this thread has taken a dark and terrible turn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

brian posted:

a dark and terrible yarn (4, 6)

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

gently caress you

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Unkempt posted:

Not the cryptics, no. That's pretty much how american crosswords work though.

Edit: favourite clue: 'Push off, Dorothy, he isn't coming' (5)

Godot

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Humiliation for loser:

Pre chlorinated pre avian.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I'm gonna be honest I envy that a bit. My parents are extremely racist and homophobic and I always have to hold myself back a bit when calling them out on their bullshit because you know, they're my parents, and also because they're getting more and more senile every year and they might die at any time now so I don't want to have any bad blood between us. It's a bit frustrating I guess. Some of my best friends are gay and I have to hide this from them.

I remember in kindergarten I was basically a child nazi because I fully took in my parents' views. I literally said stuff like "Hitler went a bit too far but he had the right idea, he was a military genius" when I was 4 Jesus loving Christ

Personally people dying knowing you hate them is actually quite satisfying.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pochoclo posted:

A bit of critical thinking would do the world a whole lotta good

Basic loving compassion as well. It's amazing how lacking it is with a lot of people, and further, that they consider that a genuine positive

EDIT - like, how sociopathic do you have to be to think 'bleeding heart' is an insult?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Bad for Corbyn? (10)

Hmm. "This is" doesn't fit, I'm stumped

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hmm. "This is" doesn't fit, I'm stumped

Everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MrTundra posted:

It's a cryptic clue, so the punctuation is misinformation by design.

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, you have to pretty much ignore the sentence structure/punctuation.

And this is why cryptic crosswords are the most tedious wastes of time on the entire planet.