Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He's tired and cranky and ranting. Mostly this is just bluster and irritation at having to do things like "talk to reporters" and "be a big boy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Part of the thread freakout was that the early blue dog deaths were due to them severely underperforming their polls (most of which had them up a few points or tied). If that same shift was a national trend as opposed to confined to those races Tuesday would have been significantly less rosy.

Add that to 2016 PTSD and yeah, things got twitchy. Most were able to dig in and settle down once things stabilized though.

Edit: VV That remains to be seen now that literally 40% of black men have been re-franchised. If only 100K of the 1.4M actually vote that likely shifts the margins from "nail biter/close losses" to "nail biter/nervous close wins"

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 9, 2018

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Tibalt posted:

:thunk:

Is it just a 'thing' now to compare senate races to governor races across vastly different states?

I mean, by what possible metric could you meaningfully compare Heitkamp's performance in North Dakota to Gillum's performance in Florida? If anything, that comparison makes the 'leftist' Gillum (what?) look worse than the 'centrist' Heitkamp (what??) - at least Heitkamp has an excuse for why a Democratic senator couldn't compete in a deep red state like North Dakota, but a supposedly strong candidate like Gillum shouldn't struggle so hard in the eternally purple state of Florida.

Florida is red as gently caress, I don't know why people think we're a swing state anymore. It hasn't been true for 20 years.

Obama doesn't count,because Obama.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Phobic Nest posted:

Mr. Bigfoot Erotic Fanfics won too, what a world.

That’s not shocking. That whole race was gross. Cockburn getting into a dick waving fight over who was the REAL war veteran (he sat in a chair! She was a REPORTER!) simply left everyone rolling their eyes.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress off Putin.

Uh oh! An actual leftist candidate speaks up, and you have to go for the russian shill angle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Part of the thread freakout was that the early blue dog deaths were due to them severely underperforming their polls (most of which had them up a few points or tied). If that same shift was a national trend as opposed to confined to those races Tuesday would have been significantly less rosy.

Add that to 2016 PTSD and yeah, things got twitchy. Most were able to dig in and settle down once things stabilized though.

When we won in Kansas I think everyone perked back up. Everyone was gravedancing on Kris Kobach; it was awesome.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

What...what's her point? Of course something stinks. Who's fault does she think it is...?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mordaedil posted:

Bernie should have been spending his time grooming a successor who is young, appealing and capable in carrying forward his ideas. Bernie isn't going to survive a presidency, it would be the last thing he did.

His ego is too large for that. If bernie cant save america, nobody can. He'll make sure of that

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Deified Data posted:

What...what's her point? Of course something stinks. Who's fault does she think it is...?

She get her check in the mail from the loving Kremlin yet?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ben_hameen/status/1060770457241047040?s=21

lol

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

Agreeing with Trump is a shibboleth. It's something that only a complete sycophant or an insane person would do, and he doesn't seem to mind the crazies either so there's basically no downside for him.

reminds me of that time Gov. Bredesen aired an "I am a reasonable person" ad with the quote "if he has an idea, and is pushing some things that I think are good for the people of Tennessee, I'm going be for it. It doesn't matter where it came from." Then he approved of the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh, on the grounds that a president should have the right to appoint an ideologically identical SCOTUS justice, because he wanted to cast himself as a principled moderate on rape

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody tell president smoothbrain that Mueller was senate confirmed back when he was fbi director and let's see what happens.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Calibanibal posted:

His ego is too large for that. If bernie cant save america, nobody can. He'll make sure of that

fuckin lol

what is bernie gonna do to "make sure of that"?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

Weird how none of the things in that list are "ban the Nazis"

Conflict drives engagement.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Robert Mueller isn't the FBI director anymore, and while the hammer and sickle is kinda hokey it's a useful rhetorical cudgel against the right in this case, because it showcases their hypocrisy on Russia.

What's this guy's problem?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Uh oh! An actual leftist candidate speaks up , and you have to go for the russian shill angle.

:chanpop:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1060913096120786944

:hmmyes: Totally normal democracy we've got here.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1060906163112337408

Dogs in my neighborhood are going nuts

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Uh oh! An actual leftist candidate speaks up, and you have to go for the russian shill angle.

dude

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

ahahah, this is the good poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1060908243705384961

Kellyanne is in the corner singing into a cucumber.

Someone's going to retire earlier than she thought.

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I cry as I sing into a cucumber

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

ummel posted:

Florida is red as gently caress, I don't know why people think we're a swing state anymore. It hasn't been true for 20 years.

Obama doesn't count,because Obama.
First of all, lol

Second of all, North Dakota is redder than Florida regardless

Third of all, looool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

OAquinas posted:

Edit: VV That remains to be seen now that literally 40% of black men have been re-franchised. If only 100K of the 1.4M actually vote that likely shifts the margins from "nail biter/close losses" to "nail biter/nervous close wins"

Yeah, Donnelly sucks and we can say that easily, but his race was polled to be very close and he got destroyed immediately

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

She get her check in the mail from the loving Kremlin yet?

I voted for her in 2012 (in Indiana, don't kill me)

and there will always be a special place in hell for me because of that. Hopefully not the same circle of hell Jill is in but still.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He's either trolling (badly) or dumb as hell if he thinks Jill Stein is some great leftist savior.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Agreeing with Trump is a shibboleth. It's something that only a complete sycophant or an insane person would do, and he doesn't seem to mind the crazies either so there's basically no downside for him.

It is one for leftists too. If you agree with Trump, you immediately go into the "garbage human" category in my brain.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Here's a list put out by House Democrats and Pelosi about what the first new House priorities will be in January.

quote:

- House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi is poised to work with House Democrats to set up a special committee focused on climate change in the new Democratic-led Congress, a panel that would allow the party's members on Capitol Hill to draw attention to the threat posed by of global warming.

- Representative Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) has already begun contacting forensic accounting, law, and private investigative firms to begin hiring investigators and lawyers to aid in multiple investigations under the purview of the Judiciary Committee.

- Pelosi plans to ask House Democrats to set up select committees that would be similar to the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, which operated from 2007 up until 2011 when Republicans took back control of the House from Democrats. These special committees are not permanent new House committees and don't have the ability hold or push legislation, but they will have the authority to hold public hearings and summon witnesses to give congressional testimony. Other than the committee on climate change and a committee on racial bias, terrorism, and hate crimes, she did not detail what other areas would receive a select committee.

- Incoming chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.) has begun hiring lawyers and said his committee will waste no time before beginning inquiries into how the White House, the State Department and even the Trump Organization have been conducting foreign policy.

Engel said he intends to hold hearings on Russia, the Trump Organization’s international conflicts of interest, Saudi Arabia, the war in Yemen, the management of Pompeo’s State Department and many other topics. Pompeo has only testified once before the committee since taking office, and Engel will press him to appear again soon.

- Democratic leaders say they would use their first month in the House majority to advance sweeping changes to future campaign and ethics laws, requiring the disclosure of shadowy political donors, outlawing the gerrymandering of congressional districts and restoring key enforcement provisions to the Voting Rights Act.

They would then turn to infrastructure investment and the climbing costs of prescription drugs, answering voter demands and challenging President Trump’s willingness to work on shared policy priorities with a party he has vilified. The idea, said Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the Democratic leader, is to show voters that Democrats are a governing party, and to try to score legislative victories on Democratic priorities where the President has expressed differences with congressional Republicans. They will either be able to score meaningful policy victories with a President desperate for a "win" or they will have an affirmative action to point to in 2020 to justify asking voters for a potential unified Democratic government. She added of the prospect Mr. Trump would collaborate, “I don’t think he himself knows what he is going to do, but we have options for whatever he decides to do."

- Democrats have also prepared detailed, more liberal approaches for a $1 trillion infrastructure package and how to slow the increases in prescription drug costs, but indicated that they would steer proposals through the regular committee process in an effort to try to build a consensus with Republicans first. Mr. Hoyer said Democrats and Republicans would disagree over how to fund infrastructure spending, but they could bridge the gap with Mr. Trump’s help. "We are going to restore normal order to the house and go through the regular committee process. Our ideal scenario is a bipartisan solution that will be signed into law, but we will pass plans out of committee with no Republican votes if we have to. The priority is getting things done to show the American people that electing Democrats had a meaningful impact and outlining our vision for America."

- In an echo of actions they took in 2007, the last time they assumed House control, Democrats plan to use a package of rules governing the chamber prepared by Mr. McGovern to take unilateral steps that they say will tighten ethical standards, including — in a nod to a continuing ethics scandal roiling Republicans — a ban on House members’ sitting on corporate boards.

- Together, Ms. Pelosi said, putting those efforts first would “caffeinate” the Democrats’ agenda, even if Republicans in the Senate do not take up the legislation.

“When people know the priority that we are giving to the integrity and government piece, it increases the confidence they have that we can do what we said,” Ms. Pelosi said.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, if I had to choose between someone who wanks it to Sasquatch and someone who can't take a joke, I'm going with the Sasquatch wanker

Depends on if Sasquatch wanker can watch Cry Wilderness and laugh.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

marshmonkey posted:

This thread perfectly illustrates why it’s futile to debate conservatives, chiefly that their “beliefs” will shift to suit their need to troll you: https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/1060511898347692032

"Tribal epistemology" like this is definitely a feature of what's been happening on the right over the past decade
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/22/14762030/donald-trump-tribal-epistemology

quote:

Over time, this leads to what you might call tribal epistemology: Information is evaluated based not on conformity to common standards of evidence or correspondence to a common understanding of the world, but on whether it supports the tribe’s values and goals and is vouchsafed by tribal leaders. “Good for our side” and “true” begin to blur into one.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

My mom had dinner with her 6 year old grand-niece across the street from the club in Thousand Oaks the night before last (but was gone hours before poo poo went down, thankfully), and now she's getting evacuated from a wildfire.

The world literally will not stop sucking, y'all. We need to do what we can to fix it as best we can

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Get a load of this moron who thinks Jill Stein is an actual leftist.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

galenanorth posted:

reminds me of that time Gov. Bredesen aired an "I am a reasonable person" ad with the quote "if he has an idea, and is pushing some things that I think are good for the people of Tennessee, I'm going be for it. It doesn't matter where it came from." Then he approved of the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh, on the grounds that a president should have the right to appoint an ideologically identical SCOTUS justice, because he wanted to cast himself as a principled moderate on rape

Shorter Bredesen: "What do you mean? What am I supposed to read in this room, I don't see any banners?"

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

man that sure looks like a list of things to do if you're trying to stop the slow slide into fascism and/or the sea.

huh.

who'd thought.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Noted savior of the left, Jill Stein

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress is her problem? She's not even from this state. Does she caucus with the GO now?

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Deified Data posted:

Dems finally figured out that bussing in voters was less efficient than trucking in votes?

Or out? Yesterday the accusations seemed to be of adding more votes but now it's shifting to destroying them? I can never quite put myself in the conspiracy theorist mindset, which may be a good thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a shame the word "shill" has essentially become a gendered insult, because Jill rhymes with shill, and Dr. Stein is 100 percent a sell-out to the conspiracy elements of her party. Her earlier career is indicative that she's smart enough to know better, which means, ironically, that she's just the kind of politician people who are voting for her hate the most: a cynical opportunist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

galenanorth posted:

I imagine if you like the feel of having power over people, and Trump clearly does, there's no greater feeling than saying something literally and obviously wrong and having people go insane trying to say it's correct.

It's like that thing where he tears up all his documents. News agencies were portraying it as him being dumb and lazy, and I'm sure he is, but he probably also gets a kick out of making some poor civil servants tape his stupid papers back together because they have no choice but to do it

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/TotallyAllen/status/1060575889723875328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
jill stein is more left than the centrist decorum dem's, leftist "savior" is a bit far fetched, she's hardly AOC, but i'd rather have Jill stein than any Bad Dem. calling her a russian shill is peak facebook liberalism tho.