Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mahasamatman posted:

One movie I almost bought the other night then ended up putting back on the shelf was Mike Leigh's Naked. I watched that last year and it's a very good movie but it's so dark and cynical. I don't know that I could own something like that. When do you pull something like that off your bookcase and watch it?

The easy solution is to also buy Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky and always watch the two films together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Toebone posted:

I stopped by B&N without anything in mind and just ended up grabbing the Monterrey Pop set to give my dad for Christmas. I think I'm gonna stop by again and grab something for myself, what're your top blind-buys?

Godzilla

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Lone Wolf and Cub was my favorite blind buy. I'm still working my way through the Zatoichi set as well which could be a contender.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub was my favorite blind buy. I'm still working my way through the Zatoichi set as well which could be a contender.

Seconding either of these. LW&C is easily my favorite Criterion.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Branded to Kill was a blind buy for me and I love it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker, Sword of Doom, and A Touch of Zen are probably my biggest blind-buy hits. I've rewatched all three since buying them and enjoyed them even more than the first time.

Also the Apu trilogy. Those movies are timeless and I can see myself going back to them every few years.

Apu Trilogy might be the highest quality item Criterion has ever produced.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
A Touch of Zen was dope, thanks for the recommendation!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Toebone posted:

A Touch of Zen was dope, thanks for the recommendation!

Hell yeah. King Hu is so good. Dragon Inn is less weird but just as great and essential. Legend of the Mountain (kino put out the blu this year) is another weird long one that is amazing, though it’s less of an action movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was near a B&N and picked up Shoah, Andrei Rublev, and The Princess Bride.

They also had the compact edition of Taschen's The Stanley Kubrick Archives for only $14.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

I was near a B&N and picked up Shoah, Andrei Rublev, and The Princess Bride.

They also had the compact edition of Taschen's The Stanley Kubrick Archives for only $14.

That sounds like an incredibly depressing film festival.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Couldn't help myself and went back for The Killing, Jubal, and Night and The City.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I picked up Andrei Rublev and The complete Lady Snowblood today. I also signed up for a membership so I have a feeling I'll be back.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Couldn't help myself and went back for The Killing...

Make sure you watch Killer's Kiss on the same disc. It's not the same quality as The Killing, but it's drat impressive visually and has this nice PRC sleaze to it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's always amazed me that Criterion decided to include Killer's Kiss as a supplement. They could have very reasonably made it a stand alone release.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do you fella's think that A Brighter Summer Day is worth a blind buy?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
For the small Australian contingent in this thread, Amazon AU has the Bergman boxset pricematches to the US store, for one (they don't usually pricematch Criterion sales for the Australian storefront in my experience). Cancelled my Barnes and Noble order, because with similar shipping it worked out about $20 cheaper; if you use something like CashRewards and go through that there's another 8% off, so it's getting down to an even better bargain.

E: I'm watching The Hidden Fortress and man, this is nowhere near as smooth a watch as other Kurosawa flicks. I could watch Seven Samurai endlessly, but this is just a little less...kinetic? It's good, but it's not immediately gripping me like all of his other films I've seen.

E2: alright Mifune has charged around on horses and had an awesome spear duel and I'm back on board

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 9, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yes

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yes.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ll just watch the drat thing on filmstruck then.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

If you're comfortable with a 4 hour film with no intermissions, then yes. By all means, watch this movie.

It is hard to summarize, just because there's so much going on. There's a teenager joining a gang and dealing with that, there's the political situations going on at the time, there's all these things going on.

Like, it's a commitment, but I'm glad I got it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there even enough time to watch all of A Brighter Summer Day before Filmstruck dies?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ordered the Ingmar Bergman set from Best Buy. Had them price match Amazon. Figured this might interest one or two folks

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Depends, how do you feel about long films intermixing political history and personal relationship drama? It's akin to Doctor Zhivago or Farewell My Concubine, but much more understated than either of those. If that sounds appealing, by all means, go for it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ill watch Yi Yi tonight. I just saw Paul Dano talk about it and Edward Yang just seems up my alley.

e: what the gently caress Yi Yi is hella long too!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 9, 2018

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
The Terrorizers is on Amazon Prime and I think Taipei Story is on Filmstruck, both less than two hours.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Antisamitism posted:

The Terrorizers is on Amazon Prime and I think Taipei Story is on Filmstruck, both less than two hours.

And they are both very good. Prime also has In Our Time and he directed a segment in that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh, we still have until the 29th. The way you guys were talking, I thought you literally meant this was the last day.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Ill watch Yi Yi tonight. I just saw Paul Dano talk about it and Edward Yang just seems up my alley.

e: what the gently caress Yi Yi is hella long too!

Yang always went like right at two hours or he just went “thwippppp” and made movies that scrape three or four hours. No real in betweens, like he never aimed for two and a half hours in an edit ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I was making a crack about how long it is earlier but I watched A Brighter Summer Day today.

Guy who was asking if he should buy it should just buy it. That last 20 or so minutes is just utterly devastating.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yojimbo and Sanjuro perhaps remains the best double feature ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I rewatched ABSD today with the excellent commentary track.

Between that really informative commentary and just seeing the movie again I'm convinced ABSD really is just a flat out masterpiece.

I, Butthole posted:

Yojimbo and Sanjuro perhaps remains the best double feature ever.
I've never done them in a double feature before but both movies are just so good. I just love the final duel in Sanjuro in particular.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 11, 2018

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Will the sale still be going on when Magnificent Ambersons comes out or do I have to pre-order?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Will the sale still be going on when Magnificent Ambersons comes out or do I have to pre-order?

Ambersons is out on 11/20, the sale goes til 12/3, so you’re good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

November releases have been pushed back a week except for Bergman.

Also, looks like a Berlin Alexanderplatz is getting an upgrade.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

February announcements:

Death in Venice
To Sleep with Anger
La vérité
Shame (1968)
Berlin Alexanderplatz

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Never seen this, it looks interesting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, drat, Berlin Alexanderplatz is coming on blu-ray? Guess that's as good an excuse as any to finally watch the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I've never seen it, but as a fan of Charles Burnett, I'm glad To Sleep With Anger will be available on disc in the US.