Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I haven't heard a male candidate called a "shill" in a pretty long time, but if you guys disagree with me, go hog wild. I don't think it was worth jumping down my throat about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1060924696923959302

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

yeah, she does, but she'd end up killing less americans and people abroad because she's not obsessed with war and bombing the middle east. take the good with the bad.

This is some of the dumbest analysis I've ever seen, and you should stop posting.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

It's a shame the word "shill" has essentially become a gendered insult, because Jill rhymes with shill, and Dr. Stein is 100 percent a sell-out to the conspiracy elements of her party. Her earlier career is indicative that she's smart enough to know better, which means, ironically, that she's just the kind of politician people who are voting for her hate the most: a cynical opportunist.

You're gonna have to explain yourself here.

I think it just uniquely applies to people with "ill" in their name, not women specifically

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's Friday why isn't Jacob Wohl in jail yet

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How long before Jeff Sessions is officially in the #Resistance?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Didn't she scam a bunch of "recount" funding?

Yes, she did, but from suburban liberals who were angry that Hillary lost to TRUMP. Stein isn't The Best, but she's better than panera bread democrats.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

quote:

Thus far, there’s no evidence Stein or her campaign took funds from any Russian or Kremlin-linked actors, nor that she or her campaign, contra Trump’s campaign, sought compromising material on Hillary Clinton from any Russian operatives. As Stein said earlier this summer, “I am certainly not aware of any ties whatsoever, financial or otherwise, to the Russian government.”

ok

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bicyclops posted:

I haven't heard a male candidate called a "shill" in a pretty long time, but if you guys disagree with me, go hog wild. I don't think it was worth jumping down my throat about.

Just searched "is a shill" on Twitter and yeah you're wrong

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gat drat that woman is a dynamo.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

:woop: :woop: :woop:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

PPJ or LK, can we get a ruling on when a poster has a take so profoundly stupid that we're allowed to insult them mercilessly until they leave the thread in a meltdown of shame and/or trollgasmic bliss?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Yes, she did, but from suburban liberals who were angry that Hillary lost to TRUMP. Stein isn't The Best, but she's better than panera bread democrats.

Sorry, that means she's a scam artist and does not have any credibility. I don't care about supposed progressives that can't be trusted.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

A "shill" is someone who is being paid to espouse a particular viewpoint that they don't actually believe themselves. It applies equally to anyone who does it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

CuddleCryptid posted:

Shill is absolutely not a gendered insult, what are you talking about

i think bicyclops is thinking of 'shrill'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

The Mueller investigation is loving brain cancer to rich liberals. The fact that that's what gets them out of the house is so damning.

The issue is that the Mueller investigation, and protecting it, is basically at this point a proxy fight for the rule of law. By tradition (because the Constitution doesn't really do a good job here) the DOJ is independent of Presidential control to a large degree, to try to keep prosecutorial decisions independent of politics, both to avoid politically motivated prosecutions and to avoid politically motivated blocking of prosecutions. The problem, of course, is that's just tradition: the Constitution isn't set up to wall off the DOJ from the President.

Allowing Trump to use the DOJ the way he wants to use it - a shield for his allies, and a sword against his enemies - would be a huge step towards authoritarianism. It's also why Trump's pardons to date have been so dangerous - it's not a threat to the country that Joe Arpaio didn't spend thirty days in jail, but it's a threat to the republic that he didn't spend thirty days in jail that he deserved to spend in jail because he is an ally of the President.

That's why people consider it so important to protect the Mueller investigation: not because it's going to produce some earth-shattering result that will fix America by banning Trump forever. It's because allowing Trump to end the Mueller investigation implicitly cedes to him the power to end prosecutions for politically motivated reasons, which will rapidly be followed by the power to start prosecutions for politically motivated reasons. And that's a disaster for the country.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How long before Jeff Sessions is officially in the #Resistance?

Countdown to a Jeff Sessions book deal and NY Times opinion columnist position

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TheScott2K posted:

Just searched "is a shill" on Twitter and yeah you're wrong

Pretty sure it's an inadvertent/unconscious mixing of the connotations of "shill" and "shrill" in his mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what kemp is doing in georgia and scott is trying in florida are worse than firing sessions and it's insane that isn't what people are getting worked up about to this degree.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The issue is that the Mueller investigation, and protecting it, is basically at this point a proxy fight for the rule of law. By tradition (because the Constitution doesn't really do a good job here) the DOJ is independent of Presidential control to a large degree, to try to keep prosecutorial decisions independent of politics, both to avoid politically motivated prosecutions and to avoid politically motivated blocking of prosecutions. The problem, of course, is that's just tradition: the Constitution isn't set up to wall off the DOJ from the President.

Allowing Trump to use the DOJ the way he wants to use it - a shield for his allies, and a sword against his enemies - would be a huge step towards authoritarianism. It's also why Trump's pardons to date have been so dangerous - it's not a threat to the country that Joe Arpaio didn't spend thirty days in jail, but it's a threat to the republic that he didn't spend thirty days in jail that he deserved to spend in jail because he is an ally of the President.

That's why people consider it so important to protect the Mueller investigation: not because it's going to produce some earth-shattering result that will fix America by banning Trump forever. It's because allowing Trump to end the Mueller investigation implicitly cedes to him the power to end prosecutions for politically motivated reasons, which will rapidly be followed by the power to start prosecutions for politically motivated reasons. And that's a disaster for the country.

No, they just want Detective Mueller to put the bracelets on Trump. I mean, you might have a few powdered wig types in there, but on the whole it's just a bunch of NPR tote bag havers speaking their native language.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I'm not sure that attacking people for trying to say that Robert Mueller's investigation should be protected because "YOU DIDN'T PROTEST OTHER THING" is a great idea. If we allow Trump to get away with killing off an investigation into himself we're essentially saying "Nixon was right, the rule of law doesn't apply to the President." It's a horrendously dangerous precedent to set.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Tibalt posted:

I'd argue that there's a fundamental disconnect between pointing to state government trifectas as a qualifier for Red/Purple/Blue state status.

For example, MA and VA.

Our Republicans are just as bad as the national ones though. But you make a good point. We're not Alabama yet.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Robert Mueller isn't the FBI director anymore, and while the hammer and sickle is kinda hokey it's a useful rhetorical cudgel against the right in this case, because it showcases their hypocrisy on Russia.

This "hypocrisy!" cudgel has never worked to achieve a single meaningful political goal in the past 18 years.

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-53-the-increasingly-dull-edge-of-hypocrisy-takedowns

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

No, they just want Detective Mueller to put the bracelets on Trump. I mean, you might have a few powdered wig types in there, but on the whole it's just a bunch of NPR tote bag havers speaking their native language.

honestly you could at least try to respond to people putting some effort into their posts with something other than ignorant dismissal

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not sure that attacking people for trying to say that Robert Mueller's investigation should be protected because "YOU DIDN'T PROTEST OTHER THING" is a great idea. If we allow Trump to get away with killing off an investigation into himself we're essentially saying "Nixon was right, the rule of law doesn't apply to the President." It's a horrendously dangerous precedent to set.

The rule of law stopped applying to the President when Ford pardoned Nixon. This is extremely old news.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Tibalt posted:

PPJ or LK, can we get a ruling on when a poster has a take so profoundly stupid that we're allowed to insult them mercilessly until they leave the thread in a meltdown of shame and/or trollgasmic bliss?

it's you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Ok.
No, she's not, because grift no matter the target isn't ok.

Grift leads to corruption, corruption leads to systemic failure.

System failure leads to electoral college.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

When was the last time the rule of law did apply to the President?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Does anyone think that Session was instrumental in all the terrible poo poo this administration has been up to? All of that poo poo happens anyways under anyone else that got the job. All Sessions being replaced does is ensure friendlier-to-the-administration oversight of an investigation of this administration.

Also, when are we going to get a lawsuit that Whitaker cannot be the acting AGUS? He's legally incapable of being appointed to this position.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Told ya. The woman is made of steel. :colbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

eke out posted:

honestly you could at least try to respond to people putting some effort into their posts with something other than ignorant dismissal

Sometimes it's just that simple. Like how a 5,000 word think piece about "heartland voters" having "economic anxiety" really only needs to be replied to with "Actually they're just racist."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

When was the last time the rule of law did apply to the President?

the first three iterations of the travel ban, all of the iterations of the military trans ban, DACA (still enjoined years later), the keystone XL pipeline (once again enjoined nationally as of yesterday), multiple convictions and guilty pleas of top campaign officials?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jefferson “Racist Keebler Elf” Sessions, welcome to the Resistance

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

RGB could do more push ups than Trump

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

That's because "shill" is generally a term used to describe a person beholden to someone with power of them.

Mostly we call pundits and spokespersons shills. Lindsey Graham is definitely a shill for the Trump administration, as are basically all republicans at this point.

"Shill" has no gendered connotation, and historically, it's been used to describe mostly men, so... like I have no idea where you're coming up with this.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's a list put out by House Democrats and Pelosi about what the first new House priorities will be in January.

So basically, infrastructure, prescription drugs, working with Trump, and investigating Trump. I can't say I'm thrilled, given that there's a lot missing from that list and that the last two items have a rather obvious conflict. But given the current makeup of the Senate and the fact that the election votes haven't even finished being counted yet, I'll save most of my complaining for later and give them a little time to see how these develop first.

My major concern is that this entire list is pretty obviously just laying groundwork for 2020, but it's awfully short and conservative by campaign-trail standards. But like I said, it's still quite early and a lot will depend on how things develop in the next few months in response to these first steps.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

RottenK posted:

it's you
nou

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
If Bush can join the #TheResistance I don’t see why Jeff Sessions couldn’t.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Didn't she scam a bunch of "recount" funding?

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Sometimes it's just that simple. Like how a 5,000 word think piece about "heartland voters" having "economic anxiety" really only needs to be replied to with "Actually they're just racist."

it's weird you even bother posting, since you've already got politics all figured out. thanks for sharing your wisdom, though