Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sulecrist posted:

Topical content: I didn’t want to want to buy Blackstone Fortress but now I want to, discuss.

I'm kind of there with you. But I'm able to dissuade myself because I'll literally never play it and "someday my son will be old enough to appreciate it" is a flimsier and flimsier excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sulecrist posted:

Farting dickogres* am I right?

Ettin please deal with this filth

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The models are nice but the warhammer quest games are mediocre at best, so

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sulecrist posted:

Topical content: I didn’t want to want to buy Blackstone Fortress but now I want to, discuss.

You should, it has the best Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath mini on the market

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Going to be the one to be a bit of a Debbie Dwner and say that it does really bug me that they've made the robot chap a Man of Iron. To me, at least, it feels wrong -- out of place. It simply doesn't sit well with me.

The Men of Iron are a relic of an age long past, a foundational part of the setting, one that's passed beyond mere history and into myth. Their war with mankind is a mythological, galaxy rending one -- heard of only legends and hearsay with rare exception -- their might, power and destructive potential beyond that what we see in the galaxy today: potential that was fully realized in the space-time eating mechanivores, the sun-snuffers, and the microscopic omniphages that we have heard about in Perpetual. Perhaps once or twice a millennium a Rogue Trader will find a component of one of these terrible and destructive artifice of the Iron Men, in a state beyond functionality, on a distant ruined world, but to have a member of this ridiculously powerful race -- rivaled perhaps, by the Necrons -- in a time that no longer belongs to them seems wrong.

This argument may sound familiar to those that have been around for a while -- about ten years ago, this is exactly the argument that would have been, and was, by many, made against expanding into the lore of the Horus Heresy. Those of you who know me know I'm into the Heresy a bit, so why the hypocrisy? Why make this argument against the Men of Iron when this same argument can be made against this thing you would defend to your death? What sets the Heresy apart?

The Heresy is set apart by the fact that it has, for a good chunk of 40k's history, been within living memory for major players within the setting, if not the Imperium itself. Members of the Traitor Legions may have personally experienced the Heresy, and the Fall of the Eldar burns bright still. The Horus Heresy has direct repercussions on the galaxy of the 41st millennium: it is the driving force for the motivation of the Chaos Space Marines and the scars that the Heresy left on the Imperium have not yet faded -- nor could they ever. So long as the Imperium stands, what happened in the 31st millennium will still be relevant, for the necessity of the Golden Throne and the beginning of their war with their most insidious and constant enemy. Not so the Men of Iron: no faction yet known in 40k could claim the Cybernetic Revolt as a component of their history that affects them today, save perhaps as the raison d'etre for the Imperial prohibition against the silica anima. It is a critical element of the setting that serves to enrich the setting, but it belongs to the world of 40k rather than any individual presence within it.

For me, at least, part of the attraction of 40k, part of why it feels so much more visceral and real than many other fictional settings is the mystique and uncertainty of history. It is neither afraid to address what happened to lead to where things are in the future, but nor does it make the mistake of filling out its history. The most studious fan could study the setting in its entirety and know of everything that happens, but he will never know everything that happened -- and this is reflective of reality. No matter how long one studies the history of the world, there will be gaps -- there will always be gaps -- in knowledge, there is no finite sum to aspire to achieve. And there will always be gaps in one's knowledge of 40k.

When I was first trying to find the words to articulate how I feel about this, I found myself writing that it tears at the curtain hiding the mystery in 40k. But that's not strictly true, I feel. To say that there's a curtain implies that there are secrets behind it that can or should be revealed. This does more than that. Any artist knows the importance of negative space, and every musician the necessity of rest, silence. This is a intrusion into the emptiness, a discordant note. An extension, if you will, of "show, don't tell:" there is a time when vagueness is golden, ignorance a thing of beauty, and implication over statement in worldbuilding. And at least, for me, this upsets the balance in 40k.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gripweed posted:

You should, it has the best Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath mini on the market

This badass lookin' mini reminds me, I've heard that the Tau are way less idealistic now, how did they wreck my favorite blue hoof robot people??

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Man of Iron looks a bit like a Starman from Earthbound

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Agreed. A lot of the majesty and mystique of the "ancient" 40k lore is lost when one of these ancient, galaxy shattering robots just appears one day and has a boring and mediocre statline. I do like the idea of it being a sentient machine pretending to be little more than a tool of the mechanicus, but it's executed so poorly in this instance.

It would have been far more interesting if it was more subtle approach, if it was written as just openly a mechanicus robot but maybe theres a little more to it? Let the fans theorycraft that maybe it's a Man of Iron, rather than explicitly stated.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Agreed. A lot of the majesty and mystique of the "ancient" 40k lore is lost when one of these ancient, galaxy shattering robots just appears one day and has a boring and mediocre statline. I do like the idea of it being a sentient machine pretending to be little more than a tool of the mechanicus, but it's executed so poorly in this instance.

It would have been far more interesting if it was more subtle approach, if it was written as just openly a mechanicus robot but maybe theres a little more to it? Let the fans theorycraft that maybe it's a Man of Iron, rather than explicitly stated.

Disagree with you guys. A lot of this stuff may as well not exist at all unless there is *some* representation in a game somewhere. 30k games is what makes most people care about Horus Heresy area. Putting cool dudes in a board game where they can touch base with stuff like Navigators, Ratlings, Priests, etc is a great idea. None of this stuff is worth making into a full fledged army, but accomplishes a great deal when use sparingly like this. Old sentient robot showing up in a board game is cool.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Having to have rules and set lore for literally everything thats even slightly mentioned is why you have action figures of Willrow Hood.

Some mysteries are better as mysteries, and lose everything interesting about them once someone starts to dive in and explain it.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Having to have rules and set lore for literally everything thats even slightly mentioned is why you have action figures of Willrow Hood.

Some mysteries are better as mysteries, and lose everything interesting about them once someone starts to dive in and explain it.

Nothing was explained, so its all good homey.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I thought for certain that Safety Factor's post was a copy/paste from Reddit or something but a quick google search doesn't turn anything up.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
There are a million ways you could interpret a Man of Iron not being an absolutely monstrous mindless killing machine (ignoring the fact that it’s larger than a normal human and has a gun for an arm). Legends are often only a grain of truth, so having a real one be a more subtle and intelligent operative offers the option that perhaps the legends are wrong? Or perhaps this robot is only a particular model and others are/were worse? One robot does not shatter the entirety of the legends of the past but it does make for interesting conversations and open new possibilities.

whoops i effort posted in the death thread

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Agreed, don't explain the magic. One of the reasons the prequel films suck

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

That's like saying that the door ding is one of the reasons the car is totalled when it's been wrapped around a tree at 200mph

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

That and Star Wars is a licence to print money so long as there is stuff to sell.

I'm kinda relieved I had to Google the character.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

That's like saying that the door ding is one of the reasons the car is totalled when it's been wrapped around a tree at 200mph

that is a very strange :iiaca:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Opening the car door while/and driving at 200mph raise questions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My group is playing SWRPG with a bunch of these side characters. I’m actually playing as ice cream maker guy, what Willrow hood is known as.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Moola posted:

Noooooooo I agree with Moola

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hixson posted:

Noooooooo I agree with Moola

Battle Droids tho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Battle Droids tho

Battle Droids are like Scrappy Doo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Battle Droids are like Scrappy Doo

terrible?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

terrible?

:hmmyes:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Roger Roger.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thankfully it's lunch time and I"m the only one who doesn't go out to eat because this had me laughing way too hard

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Moola posted:

terrible?

Ban this sick filth.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Moola posted:

that is a very strange :iiaca:

Nah, he's right. The prequels aren't bad cause they explained mysteries. They're bad because they're poorly written and directed nonsense. And also they go out of their way to explain things that aren't even loving mysteries. Like Nobody was ever like "oh man I wonder how Han got the last name 'Solo' that is probably a really cool story and not just his name"
"oh man he has dice on his dashboard I wonder where those came from"
"oh wow there was a way to blow up the death star I wonder how that got there"

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nah, he's right. The prequels aren't bad cause they explained mysteries. They're bad because they're poorly written and directed nonsense. And also they go out of their way to explain things that aren't even loving mysteries. Like Nobody was ever like "oh man I wonder how Han got the last name 'Solo' that is probably a really cool story and not just his name"

Lol nice post. IDIOT.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

Lol nice post. IDIOT.

I would watch the movie about how you got brain damage from eating chunks of resin tho

That's not so much a mystery as it is the feel-good comedy of the year

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I didnt say that was the only reason they sucked, just one of them

oh god please dont talk about Solo, I'm trying to erase it from my mind

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Moola posted:

I didnt say that was the only reason they sucked, just one of them

oh god please dont talk about Solo, I'm trying to erase it from my mind

Sorry, I watched it on the plane back from London for the first time today so it's still fresh in my mind. Holy poo poo how do they ruin the basic premise of "make a star wars heist movie"

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sorry, I watched it on the plane back from London for the first time today so it's still fresh in my mind. Holy poo poo how do they ruin the basic premise of "make a star wars heist movie"

Honestly it's one thing to be like "hey he has the dice he still has later" and a much more ron howard thing to make sure you see every single time it changes hands all the way to the end of the movie.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would enjoy a star wars oceans eleven film I think

I don't need loving baby Han Solo in it though

e; actually I would rather no Star Wars films ever be made again

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Moola posted:

I would enjoy a star wars oceans eleven film I think

I don't need loving baby Han Solo in it though

e; actually I would rather no Star Wars films ever be made again

The closest we got was Rogue One which really should have been "Dirty Dozen in Space." The good news is, if you want a really good execution of that, you can play Mass Effect 2

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Solo was good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best part of Rogue One is that it established that the flaw in the Death Star was intentional sabotage. In the original, the exhaust port was the only weak spot, and to attack it was a desperate gamble. A shot that experienced pilots thought was impossible, and in the end required literal magic to pull off. But after decades of "Why didn't they just put a grate over it?!" Cinema Sins morons, Disney decided that it had to have been an intentionally designed secret Achilles heel. Mads Mikkelson engineered a flaw that wouldn't have been a flaw at all if the Rebellion hadn't had a literal secret wizard flying one of their X-Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
And also that a space station the size of a moon was designed by a team of like a dozen guys