Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I mean, he’s not entirely wrong. Flake is a weak guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

that is correct, as currently the Democratic Party leadership includes neither a President or a Majority Leader of the Senate. but as to the President, we will be having a primary to determine who should be put forward as our potential President, and that person will be the most important member of the Democratic Party for those questions. so we'll have to think hard about who the best nominee will be, and make sure they will be willing to do what needs to be done. hooray! we've figured it out!

you heard the man. kick back and trust the system.

after all, when has that failed us. no don't look back. looking back wouldn't be decorous.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

Trump's NLRB recently ruled union picketing illegal

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/21530/trump_nlrb_union_pickets_illegal_labor_joint_employer

I would like to believe that #resistance liberals will take this up and make it a major issue, but I know in my heart they wont

This is a severe misreading of the ruling.

I mean, it's still a bad ruling, but it's nowhere near "union picketing declared illegal".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

The federal government cant do anything, votes are certified on the state level. As far as the state goes, just tossing highly publicized votes would be lawsuit heaven

Would Trump-packed courts present an issue here?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

I mean, he’s not entirely wrong. Flake is a weak guy.

It's fun to see deeper and deeper depths of self-unawareness though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060949297900834816

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

This kind of stuff goes back a long time. For example, many suffragettes were quite pissed at the Reconstruction Amendments, which guaranteed equal rights to all men regardless of color - but excluded all women regardless of color, sometimes explicitly. Some, like Susan B. Anthony, refused to support them unless women's right were addressed too.

Susan B Anthony literally helped harriet tubman work on the underground railroad and had fredrick douglass live in her house for a while and her first political action ever was running antislavery petitions at 16 because they were made illegal.

I feel like at some point in the last 6 months some podcast or something merged elizabeth stanton and susan b anthony because I feel like I've seen a weird recent uptick in 'woke' blogs being like weirdly negative on susan like she has a dark racist side, which like, no. For someone born in 1820 she is like BFFs with every anti-slavery person from your 5th grade text book and like got yelled at for trying to bring up black teachers at the women teacher's conference she went to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nemo Somen posted:

Hasn't the Mueller investigations already led to some indictments? Like Manafort, Papadopoulos, and Flynn? Claiming that the investigation won't do anything is ignoring what it has already done.

While I think the media and libs overhype mueller, they have done stuff and they probably will find poo poo, whether poo poo happens. Who knows. I think the house will impeach but hosed if I know what the senate will do.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Who is paying these thugs to interfere with the recount?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

The federal government cant do anything, votes are certified on the state level. As far as the state goes, just tossing highly publicized votes would be lawsuit heaven

in a 5-4 decision...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Deified Data posted:

look up who the Attorney General for the State of Florida is.

and remember. Rule Of Law will save us! we just have to believe.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Because they KEPT COUNTING VOTES, YOU MORON.

Donny Goodbrains, everyone.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

While I think the media and libs overhype mueller, they have done stuff and they probably will find poo poo, whether poo poo happens. Who knows. I think the house will impeach but hosed if I know what the senate will do.

Likely nothing, but that's not the worst outcome. If the investigation does turn up something juicy and the House votes to impeach, forcing the Senate Republicans to outright say "We don't think someone guilty of X, Y, and Z should be held accountable" is A Good Thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Susan B Anthony literally helped harriet tubman work on the underground railroad and had fredrick douglass live in her house for a while and her first political action either was running antislavery petitions at 16 because they were made illegal.

I feel like at some point in the last 6 months some podcast or something merged elizabeth stanton and susan b anthony because I feel like I've seen a weird recent uptick in 'woke' blogs being like weirdly negative on susan like she has a dark racist side, which like, no. For someone born in 1820 she is like BFFs with every anti-slavery person from your 5th grade text book and like got yelled at for trying to bring up black teachers at the women teacher's conference she went to.

who is the sufferagete whose name is attached to one of the conservative anti-abortion groups because they want to claim they're not anti-woman (without that person's approval because they're dead, obviously)? i thought it was susan b anthony, and if so i could see people being negative on her based on the assumption that if republicans want to tie themselves to her then she must be bad in some way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Susan B Anthony literally helped harriet tubman work on the underground railroad and had fredrick douglass live in her house for a while and her first political action ever was running antislavery petitions at 16 because they were made illegal.

Because people who write those blogs don’t know poo poo about history and negative poo poo gets more views.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

in a 5-4 decision...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

look up who the Attorney General for the State of Florida is.

and remember. Rule Of Law will save us! we just have to believe.

If it's this cut and dry how do democrats ever win anything in red states? Surely they'd all be overturning elections if they could?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So what will be your guys's drink of choice when Don Jr gets indicted?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deified Data posted:

IANAL but not on a federal level. SCOTUS deals with issues involving the constitution and such, while state voting laws are written into their own constitutions. I imagine that issues there would be settled within the state.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You're reading poo poo into it that I didn't say. Yes, Susan B. Anthony was an abolitionist who supported equal rights for African-Americans. She was also a suffragist who opposed the first Constitutional Amendment to ever explicitly reserve voting rights only for "men", a word which previously did not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Turns out history is more complicated than a game of Civilization!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Likely nothing, but that's not the worst outcome. If the investigation does turn up something juicy and the House votes to impeach, forcing the Senate Republicans to outright say "We don't think someone guilty of X, Y, and Z should be held accountable" is A Good Thing.

That’s a great point and honestly what will probably happen.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/senyorreporter/status/1060927904614297600

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

"How come they never find republican votes"

lol well ya see...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

White Russian

(i'm not making a joke here that's usually just what I make as a mixed drink)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RJGatorEsq/status/1060948350542008320

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

When we won in Kansas I think everyone perked back up. Everyone was gravedancing on Kris Kobach; it was awesome.

Kirs Kobach going down was such a huge personal victory. It really cracks me up because I think if Colyer had won the Primary he probably would've won the general, but Laura Kelly did such a great job of tying Kris K. Kobach to Sam Brownbacks policies that most people couldn't stand voting for the regressive piece of poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Christ. This is terrifying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deified Data posted:

If it's this cut and dry how do democrats ever win anything in red states? Surely they'd all be overturning elections if they could?

the 5-4 thing actually happened for florida before which is why i was making the reference.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Majorian posted:

It's also likely going to take down many members of his family and fuel plenty of state investigations as well.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hahahahahaha they do realize how many of them would fail a basic civics test right

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

pacerhimself posted:

Who is paying these thugs to interfere with the recount?

They get paid in Trumpy bears. Or at least they were told they'd be getting Trumpy bears.

Also I love how leftist protests, which generally happen at night or on the weekend, are met with "Get a job, losers :smug:" from chuds, but all chud protests seem to always happen between nine and five on weekdays.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Deified Data posted:

bush v gore 2000, my man. they overturn elections whenever possible. thankfully they are still afraid of the consequences of stealing Literally Everything.

they have no illusions about the threat law poses to them, but they are worried about what happens if they wave that fact in people's faces too aggressively.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I think this is really scary. The GOP talking point here is literally "they're stealing the election by trying to count all of the ballots". That's nuts. That's one step from just saying that Democrat's votes don't count.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deified Data posted:

i mean, there was bush v. gore. but my biggest concern is that i think the senate gets to judge who the legitimately elected senator is if there's dueling claims to be the legitimately elected senator, so if nelson wins and scott declares no, actually, he won and shows up at the senate in january, i think the Senate gets to decide who to seat, and that has obvious problems given who controls the senate now and who will control it then

i don't actually know all of the details on those rules though, but I do recall the House and the Senate are empowered to judge the elections of their respective members by the Constitution

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

No voting without taxation. We shall call this the “Poll Tax”

Disenfranchise the poor, blacks, women, and disabled!

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/scottheins/status/1060720310838837250

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Clearly this person is marching because they just LOVE Jeff Sessions and in no way is their sign an ironic protest slogan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

This one is worth breaking out the good scotch for. If the investigation hurts the Trump family's eternal real estate scam, it will have been worth it. If nothing else, they're going to be monitored for fraud by people who actually care to monitor them after Trump leaves office.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i thought that i read somewhere they had to finish by saturday? did that mean next saturday, not tomorrow?

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Because the republican's suppressed the, Donald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i thought that i read somewhere they had to finish by saturday? did that mean next saturday, not tomorrow?

i think that's florida

at least i remember some extremely sketchy looking florida statute being posted about mandatory cutoffs for counts where anything uncounted is just ignored