Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

You're reading poo poo into it that I didn't say. Yes, Susan B. Anthony was an abolitionist who supported equal rights for African-Americans. She was also a suffragist who opposed the first Constitutional Amendment to ever explicitly reserve voting rights only for "men", a word which previously did not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Turns out history is more complicated than a game of Civilization!

Mostly I saw a bunch of blog posts/facebook/twitter stuff being really mad at flaming racist trash woman susan b anthony after that thing this week where woman put their "I voted" stickers on her grave, and it seems like it came out of absolute no where and is so ahistorical for like, the least racist woman from 1820 imaginable. And I'm wondering where "susan b anthony: well known super racist" is coming from as a meme since I don't feel like I ever saw it before this year.

cat tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hahahahahaha they do realize how many of them would fail a basic civics test right

No, they're talking about a "civics" test because that'll go over better than the "literacy" tests they want to implement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

peep the clips in the replies.

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1060925298781446149

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lock up who you complete dipshits?

I love how Hillary lives rent free in all chud brains.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I "love" how most of the "leftists" in the Dems are bad Brigade rely largely on repeating and reinforcing Right Wing Framing. Here's a hint, there is a reason why the Right absolutely hates and uses Nancy Pelosi as their political chew toy of choice and it's not because she's too centrist. It's because she's effective and the last loving thing the left needs to be doing at this point is jettisoning effective leaders because the Republicans say poo poo.

We're currently fighting a war for the survival of the Human species. It's well loving past time for people to drop petty differences and focus on the common foe, that foe is the regressive forces of ignorance that characterizes the political right. Know your loving enemy and stop engaging in friendly fire. We're running out of time and all of the time and energy that's devoted to the circular firing squad is energy and time that could be focused on that actual enemy.

We're what maybe 10 years from experiencing food shortages as a result of climate change? 20 from mass famine and migrations world wide. Hell if anything Climate Change advocates and scientists are not being alarmist enough regarding how bad things are going to be. This crisis would be bad enough if it just came down to arguing over the best way to address and mitigate the issue, yet we're still stuck fighting against people who not only don't accept it as a threat but are actively encouraging more of the activities that created and intensify the problem to begin with for no obvious reason than to upset those of us who do believe in it.

I'm sorry this is more important than whatever you think is the most important issue facing us politically because if we don't address this particular problem there won't be anyone around to even experience those other issues. At this point you are either a part of the solution or you are part of the problem. If your answer to Trump and the GOP is to blame the Democrats and sit on your rear end or actively undermine Democrats then you are a part of the loving problem and are just as bad as the Republicans. Whether the Democrats are good is irrelevant. because as imperfect as they may be they are currently the most effective weapon that we in the United States have that can be used to thwart the suicide pact that the Republican Party is.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hahahahahaha they do realize how many of them would fail a basic civics test right

Yeah but their grandpa had the right to vote so they are in

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

i think that's florida

at least i remember some extremely sketchy looking florida statute being posted about mandatory cutoffs for counts where anything uncounted is just ignored

i am assuming from your post that i should have looked up where Pima county is, and that it's in Arizona not Florida?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, nobody mentioned the "corrections" industry!

Also what I was saying is that it can change, so my conceptualization might be able to as well, hopefully for the better?

Sorry if I misunderstood, hazard of jumping in on fast-moving conversations, I saw your question about whether the FBI and DOJ were indelibly corrupted, and figured I’d point out that yes, some people do believe they’re fundamentally corrupt institutions that should not be relied on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Deified Data posted:

If it's this cut and dry how do democrats ever win anything in red states? Surely they'd all be overturning elections if they could?

If officials flaunt democracy too openly, the people might just lose faith in the legitimacy of the government. When all the voters think you're a corrupt shithead who stole the government, things can get pretty messy pretty fast. One prominent example is a Tennessee political machine which was so openly corrupt that their vote-rigging attempt was disrupted by an actual armed uprising by the angry voters, who stormed the police station, blasted their way in with dynamite, and took back the ballot boxes by force for a public ballot counting.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I jokingly thought to myself “Watch them call for the property requirement to be reinstated” and boom, here the chuds are. drat near 3/4 of the bastards would fail their self-imposed voting restrictions unless they put a “Whitey Clause” in effect.

Also I hope that guy realizes that he’s named himself after an abusive rapist who is brutally killed by having his trachea ripped out through his mouth by a woman sacrificing herself and position to protect other women.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a reason why the count is taking so long?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Thaddius the Large posted:

Sorry if I misunderstood, hazard of jumping in on fast-moving conversations, I saw your question about whether the FBI and DOJ were indelibly corrupted, and figured I’d point out that yes, some people do believe they’re fundamentally corrupt institutions that should not be relied on.

No worries. :) I thought the Trump thread was turbocharged.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Kirs Kobach going down was such a huge personal victory. It really cracks me up because I think if Colyer had won the Primary he probably would've won the general, but Laura Kelly did such a great job of tying Kris K. Kobach to Sam Brownbacks policies that most people couldn't stand voting for the regressive piece of poo poo.

Yeah, anti-austerity candidates tend to do pretty well in a lot of red states. Take note, Dems!!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skex posted:

I "love" how most of the "leftists" in the Dems are bad Brigade rely largely on repeating and reinforcing Right Wing Framing. Here's a hint, there is a reason why the Right absolutely hates and uses Nancy Pelosi as their political chew toy of choice and it's not because she's too centrist. It's because she's effective and the last loving thing the left needs to be doing at this point is jettisoning effective leaders because the Republicans say poo poo.

uh except they're attacking her from the left and not the right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skex posted:

We're currently fighting a war for the survival of the Human species. It's well loving past time for people to drop petty differences and focus on the common foe, that foe is the regressive forces of ignorance that characterizes the political right. Know your loving enemy and stop engaging in friendly fire. We're running out of time and all of the time and energy that's devoted to the circular firing squad is energy and time that could be focused on that actual enemy.

i have some sympathy for the argument that pelosi isn't a political benefit in elections, but (a) we just won the house with her as the "face" of the party so there's no need to worry about the past; and (b) in the next election, the "face" of the party is gonna be whoever the nominee is, not pelosi, so who gives a poo poo

that said, i do think that the house leadership needs to let in new people and start grooming younger reps, and that this should probably be pelosi's last term and she should spend these two years grooming successors

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Florida has until tomorrow to count all the votes from Tuesday.

Machine recounts have until next Thursday.

Manual recounts have until next Saturday.

I'm working off memory, so please correct if wrong.

Edit- and if the machine recounts come up even closer, they have the additional 2 days to manually recount, lol

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 9, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Majorian posted:

I, too, believe that Broward County is the part of Florida that's a banana republic.

Will we learn from 2000 and have a bunch of counter-protesters show up?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's a stereotype at this point but it's amazing how little the conservative members of my family understand about civics. My uncle was arguing the senate was elected every two years and that's why we need term limits.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Watching the Democrats be dragged even further to the right into an outspokenly white supremacist party really was inevitable, wasn't it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

that said, i do think that the house leadership needs to let in new people and start grooming younger reps, and that this should probably be pelosi's last term and she should spend these two years grooming successors

Any new person would also get attacked by fox news then also get attacked by "leftists" that are "we yell all the stuff as fox news but when we use liberal as an insult we mean it different in our hearts" it's not like changing to someone new would change either of those.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Will we learn from 2000 and have a bunch of counter-protesters show up?

I wish I could say yes, because holy poo poo, that's absolutely what needs to happen. Buuuuut I'm not holding my breath.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

pacerhimself posted:

Who is paying these thugs to interfere with the recount?

Memories!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

This too. Actually getting people out protesting and not just engaging in slacktivism or whatever is good. Entryism works.

there was a DSA lady from Houston who chatted with literally every single individual person at the 70 ish person protest I attended yesterday

I bet at least one or two people are going to be more amenable towards the DSA than they were before

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Taintrunner posted:

Watching the Democrats be dragged even further to the right into an outspokenly white supremacist party really was inevitable, wasn't it.

Those signs are ironic. It’s the most obvious thing in the world.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

i have to assume you're posting in bad faith because you can't be stupid enough to think those protests were because they support his policies

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

So white land owners. Really reaching to replay history.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Any new person would also get attacked by fox news then also get attacked by "leftists" that are "we yell all the stuff as fox news but when we use liberal as an insult we mean it different in our hearts"

i'm not saying that she should do that because of what fox news thinks, but because it's important to have more youthful leadership. fox's views are irrelevant because they'll always be the same. but the biggest knock on pelosi's leadership is that she's been bad about introducing younger members of the caucus to leadership, all the leadership roles are filled by very old people and one or more of those should have been filled with a younger up-and-comer to learn the ropes four years ago.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Taintrunner posted:

I literally do not understand how this could be any sensible person's takeaway from that picture.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
God, I can’t imagine attempting to defend the integrity of loving Rick Scott. Ghouls.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

That's not what's happening. The Dems are way too far to the right, but it's nothing compared to where they were ten years ago.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Skex posted:

I am not on the anti-Pelosi train (or at least not on the "she cannot be speaker" train) but we used this narrative to justify HRC to ourselves as well only for her campaign's utter incompetence to be laid bare after the fact. And granted, Pelosi is a tested known quantity while Clinton's campaigning ability was not, but I'd recommend you follow your own advice and not allow the right's reaction to someone shape your perception of them. The right hates Pelosi because she's a woman and a California arch-liberal, it has nothing to do with her qualifications.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Rinkles posted:

The system is designed so large counties don’t have the resources to count as quickly as smaller counties. The longer it takes the more likely they won’t get counted due to suspicion of making up votes. Cut resources to that county. Repeat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right wingers know democracy will be the end of them so of course they abandon it. without voter suppression georgia and florida are purple and possibly blue.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Susan B Anthony literally helped harriet tubman work on the underground railroad and had fredrick douglass live in her house for a while and her first political action ever was running antislavery petitions at 16 because they were made illegal.

I feel like at some point in the last 6 months some podcast or something merged elizabeth stanton and susan b anthony because I feel like I've seen a weird recent uptick in 'woke' blogs being like weirdly negative on susan like she has a dark racist side, which like, no. For someone born in 1820 she is like BFFs with every anti-slavery person from your 5th grade text book and like got yelled at for trying to bring up black teachers at the women teacher's conference she went to.

this is from 1910

Emma Goldman posted:

The American suffrage movement has been, until very recently, altogether a parlor affair, absolutely detached from the economic needs of the people. Thus Susan B. Anthony, no doubt an exceptional type of woman, was not only indifferent but antagonistic to labor; nor did she hesitate to manifest her antagonism when, in 1869, she advised women to take the places of striking printers in New York. I do not know whether her attitude had changed before her death.
There are, of course, some suffragists who are affiliated with working women – the Women’s Trade Union League, for instance; but they are a small minority, and their activities are essentially economic. The rest look upon toil as a just provision of Providence. What would become of the rich, if not for the poor? What would become of these idle, parasitic ladies, who squander more in a week than their victims earn in a year, if not for the eighty million wage workers? Equality, who ever heard of such a thing?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rinkles posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Kemp and DeSantis are personally sitting on a pile of paper ballots, guarding them with a gun, and people have to sneak in and grab a few every couple of minutes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Taintrunner posted:

Jesus Christ, the bottom sign is a joke. They aren’t defending him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Kemp and DeSantis are personally sitting on a pile of paper ballots, guarding them with a gun, and people have to sneak in and grab a few every couple of minutes.

"Hey look! An interracial couple!'

*Steals a handful*

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Skex posted:

I "love" how most of the "leftists" in the Dems are bad Brigade rely largely on repeating and reinforcing Right Wing Framing.

Criticizing her for not grooming successors, whiffing on the DACA gambit, and saying poo poo like "We're capitalist and that's the way it is," is in no ways repeating/reinforcing Right-Wing Framing, you dingus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that sign aint "if hillary was elected i'd be at brunch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ummel posted:

Florida has until tomorrow to count all the votes from Tuesday.

Machine recounts have until next Thursday.

Manual recounts have until next Saturday.

I'm working off memory, so please correct if wrong.

Edit- and if the machine recounts come up even closer, they have the additional 2 days to manually recount, lol

What the hell is the rush? Are there actual positions where people are set to take office this year?