Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As I recall the bad jokey codex entries weren't even limited to FC3, I remember Black Flag having a similarly dreadful journal around the same time. I'm glad they eventually dropped the "humor" from these sections because man did it not land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah it gets really bad in the middle AC games.

Speaking of which why is the codex text box so loving small in most of those games?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I know 1-2 of the AC games had the stereotypical annoying douche english guy making GBS threads up a bunch of the codex entries, like ah yes, I love characters from the metaplot that I try very hard to ignore being forced into the usually cool little history snippet entries, very nice thank you ubisoft.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You meet the (very unhinged) dude that writes the entries later in the game and it all makes sense.
I don't need to play the game further to know they're written by an rear end in a top hat

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

The bow is one of the best weapons in the game when upgraded IMO. I still carry a sniper rifle and a mid range assault gun for if I need to go loud or see heavies, but when you're sneaking around the bow covers both roles and then some - between that and takedowns I could clear camps without having to stop for breath.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FC3:Blood Dragon chopped out all the crafting poo poo and replaced it with laser-shooting dinosaurs, which is a good substitution imo.

Any bow shooting where you have to lead and lift to get a long shot makes you feel like king poo poo when you pull it off, more of this in games pls.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

MisterBibs posted:

e: oh yeah, and there's a really annoying-as-poo poo bug in Blast Pit. You know how the tried-and-true way of distracting the tentacles was throwing a grenade? Doesn't work any more because the game treats you throwing a grenade as a sound that the tentacles can hear.

Oh gently caress is that what the issue has been? Whenever I play through I just loving noclip/godmode past them because it's so frustrating. Hopefully the big Xen update (haha like that'll ever happen) fixes it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Yardbomb posted:

I know 1-2 of the AC games had the stereotypical annoying douche english guy making GBS threads up a bunch of the codex entries, like ah yes, I love characters from the metaplot that I try very hard to ignore being forced into the usually cool little history snippet entries, very nice thank you ubisoft.

Totally redeemed in AC:Syndicate, however, with the beer descriptions, as well as some of the weapons, my favorite being the Jaw Tenderizer, a hand-crafted, artisanal piece of wood what got nails in.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Simply Simon posted:

Also, why even have weapons in shops when they unlock for free after you climb enough radio towers? Why have MONEY when you can just get all the weapons for free? I guess you can use it to buy maps (I got all, the rest is still plotlocked) and signature weapons, the latter of which seem to just be...better than anything you get normally. So why customize and paint a normal machine gun when you can just use the "signature" one that's vastly superior? Also, why use weapons at all when you have a flamethrower? What's the point of the bow (and specific bow skills), when you can use a silenced sniper rifle from a bazillion miles away instead? It's such a weird and unfocused game.

I'd say all the gear's good for variety. I started off sniping each outpost with a silenced rifle, but that gets boring, so then I could switch to getting in closer and take them out with a bow, then stealthing around with just the knife, then going rambo with the biggest machinegun I could carry.

It's pretty easy to just find something optimal and play the whole game that way, but the variety gives the game some more longevity it would otherwise be missing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a mod for Far Cry 4 (and probably for 3) that unlocks the whole skill tree from the beginning. Made replaying much more fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An aspect of Arkham Origins that I liked was the writing, like when you save the girl from the Mad Hatter and his exchange happens:

"It's over... everything's going to be ok."
"No... it won't :smith:"

They don't dwell on it, or explore it, just a small implication that you were just a little too late. It's a shame the collectible text stories in the series are so poorly written, because the games themselves are fine if a little overly theatrical IMO. The Text stories are so overwrought that you just get bored of all the rape and child murder. They just aren't fun to read.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ro5s posted:

I'd say all the gear's good for variety. I started off sniping each outpost with a silenced rifle, but that gets boring, so then I could switch to getting in closer and take them out with a bow, then stealthing around with just the knife, then going rambo with the biggest machinegun I could carry.

It's pretty easy to just find something optimal and play the whole game that way, but the variety gives the game some more longevity it would otherwise be missing.
Oh, I do switch playstyles all the time! Maybe the bow was a bad example. My bigger issue is that there's three SMGs in the shop where one is obviously the best (like, one of the other ones has "is mediocre" in its description), but all of them are outclassed by the signature weapon you unlock with a quest. And again, I unlocked all of that one fourth of the way through the game (counting by radio towers/outposts gotten). Why ever use anything but the signature thing?

Also, I just played a session and found a memory card which was like "we developed this super drug we're gonna sell on the eastern european market despite its side effect: it makes people poo poo from their dick! lol!"

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Oh, I do switch playstyles all the time! Maybe the bow was a bad example. My bigger issue is that there's three SMGs in the shop where one is obviously the best (like, one of the other ones has "is mediocre" in its description), but all of them are outclassed by the signature weapon you unlock with a quest. And again, I unlocked all of that one fourth of the way through the game (counting by radio towers/outposts gotten). Why ever use anything but the signature thing?

I wound up not using the signature weapons because they were all ugly as hell. They had the paint job equivalent of a brand new tribal barbed wire tattoo around a 46 year old recently divorced dad's synthol bicep.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I didn't play more than 5 hours of Shadow of Mordor and I hated how the player-character is thinly-disguised Aragorn clone in a bog-standard revenge-story.

Shadow of War fixed this so well, mostly by making him just a good dude who actually has a motivation, ie, the very big very bad thing is waking up and maybe I can stop it if I'm lucky.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Simply Simon posted:

Also, I just played a session and found a memory card which was like "we developed this super drug we're gonna sell on the eastern european market despite its side effect: it makes people poo poo from their dick! lol!"

Krokadil is a real drug, and really does cause limb and tissue necropsy. There are over a million estimated users in Russia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Krokadil is a real drug, and really does cause limb and tissue necropsy. There are over a million estimated users in Russia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine
I know that, but get this: the "poo poo from their dick" is a quote (okay, "fecal matter" would be), not an exaggeration, that's my issue.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Companies like Ubisoft that realised that voice logs are cheaper than fully animated scenes so you get to collect a shitload and they're all twice as long as they should be.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Something that always drove me crazy in Civ 5 is how city/terrain/resource generation works.

To maximize resources you want to settle cities within 3 tiles of as many resources as possible, almost completely disregarding rivers/coastline/defensibility. The way the game generates terrain mean its not at all uncommon to settle one tile away from the coast because you can reach a few more resources that way, when in real life the vast majority of cities are located right next to water. This also affects your naval projection because you can only build ships from cities right on the coastline, so that's another consideration of whether you want to project naval power on that coast or would you rather have a city that doesn't suck.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I didn't play more than 5 hours of Shadow of Mordor and I hated how the player-character is thinly-disguised Aragorn clone in a bog-standard revenge-story.

Weird how that is incredibly obvious but they tried to muffle it a bit in a random dialogue where he claims boldly that he has no Numenor blood running in his veins and cared little for Gondor and everything related to it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Genji and Tracer having been allowed to remain as stupid as they were (And still are in Tracer's case) for so long makes me really not put much faith in this idea.
There's nothing wrong with Tracer. That's her whole thing. But they need to stop giving escape options to so many other characters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's way better reasons to hate him.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I always found genji and widow the most egregious cases of escape mechanics. Mostly since skilled players of both would decide matches on their own.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Simply Simon posted:

I know that, but get this: the "poo poo from their dick" is a quote (okay, "fecal matter" would be), not an exaggeration, that's my issue.

No it's not. Here's the quote closes to what you are describing:

“Our Russian contact remains an asset of dubious value. We now have data on the manufacture of this meth-like substance. It generates extreme, cheap highs but also causes severe tissue damage. Users are known to have muscle and bone exposed from injecting krokodil, forcing the amputation of limbs. Markets are exclusively Eastern European, with the side effects too extreme to consider for worldwide distribution.”

Here's a complete list of all the memory card quotes:
https://vgfaq.com/far-cry-3-memory-cards-locations-guide/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I love playing healer/support class. My favourite character by far in City of Heroes was my defender, who hovered about (literally) buffing and healing the team, periodically shooting exploding arrows into the fray when everything else was cooling down.

CoH's take on support classes is still a high water mark. That said, power creep, bad balance, and godawful endgame design combined to ultimately make a lot of them worthless.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

“The recent acquisition of numerous drug patents that failed FDA or European Medicines Agency standards shows promise. Most of the compounds are highly addictive. We just need to minimize the side effects. One of the compound is causing test subjects to expel a fecal-like material from their urinary tracts. Further testing continues.”

Excuse me for conflating the Eastern European thing with this one, I guess :confused:? My point is that the whole game's writing is crass and often disgusting just for the sake of being disgusting like this, and I'm not buying the "that's the point" thing. Like, I get that the drug dealers are evil. And that everyone is terrible. It's just not funny or clever.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Simply Simon posted:

My point is that the whole game's writing is crass and often disgusting just for the sake of being disgusting

Welcome to FarCry, hope you make a better purchase next time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Is FC5 more of the same? I’ve played all the others and liked the core gameplay if not the story beats overall.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is FC5 more of the same? I’ve played all the others and liked the core gameplay if not the story beats overall.

Honestly its worse if only because the villains aren't even half as charismatic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Simply Simon posted:

I'm currently finally playing Far Cry 3 after a friend gifted it to me like years ago
:smug:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Honestly its worse if only because the villains aren't even half as charismatic.

Every time I go to play FarCry 5, I have no memory of it until I start playing it. Then I remember that only the bad guy is half decent.
If I could just play without plot or missions, it might be fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

FC5 is considerably worse than 3 and 4, since it forgot that the series traded heavily on charismatically evil villains.

e: not to mention that in a series not known for writing actually coherent or plausible stories to begin with, it poo poo the bed to a catastrophic degree in that regard anyway

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Nov 10, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

FC5 is considerably worse than 3 and 4, since it forgot that the series traded heavily on charismatically evil villains.

Far Cry 4's biggest sin is that it's too short, and doesn't have a villain. Your bus gets shot up, the leader executes the guy who did it, has you over for supper, executes the terrorist spy, then you have shrimp ragoo for 15 minutes until he returns and explains the whole plot. Bit of a letdown, really. But hey, it's not like a wannabe drug lord or child-marrying cultist are ruling the country or anything.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wasn’t forgetting how terrible the phony rear end moral choice was between “pedophile advocate” and “drug lord” when I said FC5 was worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samuringa posted:

The preceding far cry game wasn't written that way though.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Gauntlet Dark Legends: The powerups you can buy from the shop only ever last for one minute, meaning you are wasting money if you don't save up for the permanent stat increases.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
2 was the best far cry. Fight me.

I loved navigating by looking down at a map while driving and switching out guns as they wore down. The malaria thing was a misstep but it was the game that really delivered on an open world where everything was out to get you with moments of beauty and some real fun exploration added in.

I did play on PC with save anywhere, though. I can’t imagine doing it on console with limited save locations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Instincts Predator was the best FarCry. Fight me!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blood Sally posted:

Instincts Predator was the best FarCry. Fight me!

I actually never played the console revisions of FC1 but it seemed like a lot of them went in directions that were really cool. FC1 had a really good thing going (once they patched in quicksaving) that got ruined by trigens. The fact crytech didn’t learn their lesson with the aliens in Crysis was kind of dumb, but Crysis 2 absolutely delivered on the promise of Far Cry.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

2 was the best far cry. Fight me.

I loved navigating by looking down at a map while driving and switching out guns as they wore down. The malaria thing was a misstep but it was the game that really delivered on an open world where everything was out to get you with moments of beauty and some real fun exploration added in.

I did play on PC with save anywhere, though. I can’t imagine doing it on console with limited save locations.

2 definitely had some significant faults and I never actually finished the story because I always end up getting bored but I think it's still my favorite Far Cry too. It's a very experimental game and I respect the heck out of those sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Away all Goats posted:

Something that always drove me crazy in Civ 5 is how city/terrain/resource generation works.

To maximize resources you want to settle cities within 3 tiles of as many resources as possible, almost completely disregarding rivers/coastline/defensibility. The way the game generates terrain mean its not at all uncommon to settle one tile away from the coast because you can reach a few more resources that way, when in real life the vast majority of cities are located right next to water. This also affects your naval projection because you can only build ships from cities right on the coastline, so that's another consideration of whether you want to project naval power on that coast or would you rather have a city that doesn't suck.

One of my favorite mods for Civ (5 I think?) added outposts you could build on resources that'd give you their benefits even if they weren't in your city's collection area.

Attestant posted:

I always found genji and widow the most egregious cases of escape mechanics. Mostly since skilled players of both would decide matches on their own.

Boiled down, that's my issue, yeah. There's more than a few characters in OW where unless someone on the other team either a: plays that character better or b: can play one of their few 'hard' counters better, they win. Good pharahs in low silver are my bane because I can't aim for poo poo, and if nobody else on the team can then we just lose because there's no countering a good one because they won't let themselves get into a situation where anything other than a good hitscan shooter can stop them. :suicide:

My favorite Far Cry game was Blood Dragon because it was still a stupid loving story, but one done in a way I enjoy. The other ones since FC3 started the formula just feel edgy for the sake of it, because ~edgy~ is what makes a game Mature For Mature Gamers, which sucks because they have genuinely fun gameplay cycles imo.

Also Crysis 2 and 3 were actually really fun, fight me.