Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Dems did well enough for me to turn away from "lol @ Dems" nihilism. I know it's kind of hosed up that this hinged on them doing adequately but just being honest here.

The most effective pragmatic solution to stall Trumps bullshit is to vote Dem, not kooky Green people

Still making fun of centrism / triangulation though, in this era it is appropriate

the dem gains this time around were mostly from actual progressives, the establishment democrats themselves did the usual dem thing and crash and burned hard

when we say "dems bad" we generally mean the centrist skeletons who want to be republicans very badly, not the progressives that are slowly replacing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

There's been some controversy lately over whether or not Jim Acosta assaulted a White House staffer, complicated by the fact that the video used by the press appears to have been edited.

I'm happy to report that I managed to find the raw footage so that everyone can judge the situation for themselves.

https://youtu.be/DVoIffoKHac

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

I wonder if they have any rankings other than A or F.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

the dem gains this time around were mostly from actual progressives, the establishment democrats themselves did the usual dem thing and crash and burned hard

when we say "dems bad" we generally mean the centrist skeletons who want to be republicans very badly, not the progressives that are slowly replacing them

Right, this was the most encouraging thing.

I mean I look at that woman in Kansas...the first Native American, LGBT woman voted into Congress ever, and she's from Kansas..and she could kick literal rear end MMA style...I mean just the sheer DIFFERENCE of someone like her vs who she replaced is something I want to see tons more of. Enough of the all old white man poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VH4Ever posted:

Right, this was the most encouraging thing.

I mean I look at that woman in Kansas...the first Native American, LGBT woman voted into Congress ever, and she's from Kansas..and she could kick literal rear end MMA style...I mean just the sheer DIFFERENCE of someone like her vs who she replaced is something I want to see tons more of. Enough of the all old white man poo poo.

One of the biggest things that the party needs to get is that we should stop running rich dudes who can self-finance because its cheaper for the party. Cool, just run another rich generic empty suit because you're not interested in focusing on some state, I'm sure the voters will totally get motivated by that poo poo

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

One of the biggest things that the party needs to get is that we should stop running rich dudes who can self-finance because its cheaper for the party. Cool, just run another rich generic empty suit because you're not interested in focusing on some state, I'm sure the voters will totally get motivated by that poo poo

Very true. Related: seeing how explicitly classist some fuckers are wrt: AOC having trouble swinging rent on a pad in expensive DC when she won't start getting paid for months was really loving revealing. Granted I think this was mostly Fox News CHUDs but the mere fact that you're just PRESUMED to be rich to be in DC and sort of need to be just as a price of entry to that market is pretty goddamned gross.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1061044494865358848

:f5:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sinema is up 21k

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VH4Ever posted:

Well and I think that's needed. It's a favorable map next time, right? All the more reason to make sure they run quality Dems!

I thought I read somewhere that these Dems trying to run squishy Centrist-type campaigns are the ones that underperformed their polling estimates whereas the more Progressive ones tended to do pretty well against their forecast.

I think that's maybe a bit of a simplification that then gets caught up in debates like "Beto lost because he was too center/Beto did so well because he was so progressive."

I think a more useful lesson to take might be that generally it seems like candidates who ran on issues such as health care and voter rights did well (win or lose) and candidates who got mired in triangulation over stuff like Kavanaugh or the Caravan struggled. The lesson I'd take is that we should run more sincere, authentic (at least seeming) candidates who run unapologetically on the issues we know matter.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

https://results.arizona.vote/#/featured/4/0

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arturo Ui posted:

I wonder if they have any rankings other than A or F.

Bernie Sanders has vacillated between D and F for awhile so they theoretically do.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/phoenixnewtimes/status/1061046331630702592

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Piell posted:

Sinema is up 21k

where's that dipshit telling everyone maricopa wasn't going to help the dem

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait

The green candidate's name is Green?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sweeper posted:

He graciously recanted. Be nice.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

This is amazing.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Be still my beating heart

Also: assume nothing, ease on hope

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sweeper posted:

I've heard cautionary mentions of maricopa that there's some chuddy bits to it (so as to not inflate expectations) but I haven't seen anything that said "maricopa=mcsally country"

That said, REALLY good news. 21K is starting to get into "hard to catch up" territory for McSally.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
A few months ago it looked like Bredesen would win - he was a seemingly great candidate vs a seemingly terrible candidate. In the end he did about as well as the 3 big losers Democrats, though admittedly without incumbency. He was just stomped.

Jumping into the Kavanaugh thing was such an unforced error, but it looks like it was a desperation play from being down in the polls rather than the thing that caused him to lose.

I never thought Beto really had a chance but he came very close and pulled up so many downballot candidates.

https://twitter.com/LovToRideMyTrek/status/1053091712711774208

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Unfortunately in the Arizona SoS vote the Republican is still 10k votes in the lead. Would need another favorable drop like this one and no countervailing drops to barely eke out a dem victory there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1061047154133876736

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is the most bizzare election

first we go into it confident but, of course, with 2016 ptsd. then of course nate loving silver's model breaks and tells us ALL IS LOST, 2016 REIGNS SUPREME, HOPE IS DEAD and then after an hour of hyperventilating "oh actually nm everythings fine dems gonna win the house" and then we wind up at the high end of the range. but the senate map is an unbelievable disaster, complete wipeout.

except we wake up the next day and suddenly instead of losing montana, we won it

and the next day waking up and midday finding instead of arizona, we won it

and there is still a chance that tomorrow we will wake up and find instead of losing florida, we won it

what the hell man

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ague Proof posted:

A few months ago it looked like Bredesen would win - he was a seemingly great candidate vs a seemingly terrible candidate. In the end he did about as well as the 3 big losers Democrats, though admittedly without incumbency. He was just stomped.

Jumping into the Kavanaugh thing was such an unforced error, but it looks like it was a desperation play from being down in the polls rather than the thing that caused him to lose.

I would argue it's likely the Kavanaugh thing probably hosed him, it reportedly cost him all his volunteers which means no GOTV and probably obliterated his standing with Democratic women.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

With how long you guys drag out elections Im honestly kind of surprised heart attacks and liver failure arent way more prevalent, especially in young people.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rosenstein: "please take this burden from me. Trump keeps subtweeting me and leaving signed pictures of himself in my car. It's driving me insane"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

I never thought Beto really had a chance but he came very close and pulled up so many downballot candidates.

https://twitter.com/LovToRideMyTrek/status/1053091712711774208

He was definitely a Grand Master of something

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

evilweasel posted:

this is the most bizzare election

first we go into it confident but, of course, with 2016 ptsd. then of course nate loving silver's model breaks and tells us ALL IS LOST, 2016 REIGNS SUPREME, HOPE IS DEAD and then after an hour of hyperventilating "oh actually nm everythings fine dems gonna win the house" and then we wind up at the high end of the range. but the senate map is an unbelievable disaster, complete wipeout.

except we wake up the next day and suddenly instead of losing montana, we won it

and the next day waking up and midday finding instead of arizona, we won it

and there is still a chance that tomorrow we will wake up and find instead of losing florida, we won it

what the hell man

I want off this rollercoaster of emotions.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol it must be nice to be able to just ignore subpoenas by saying "sorry i'm busy"

quote:

When the FTC subpoenaed Whitaker for his records related to the company in October 2017, he failed to provide any information, telling investigators that he was busy at that time moving from Iowa to Washington for a new job, according to people with knowledge of the case.

At the time, Whitaker was preparing to assume a new post: chief of staff to then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Another advisory board member who also did legal work for the company, New York-based attorney Eric Creizman, said he also received a subpoena from the FTC and turned over records regarding the company.

“I thought you kind of had to respond to subpoenas,” he said. “If you’re busy, that doesn’t give you the right to avoid a subpoena.”

In the end, FTC investigators did not obtain evidence or internal communications showing Whitaker knew about the company’s phony promises to help investors patent and market their ideas, according to people with knowledge of the case.

This week, court receiver Jonathan Perlman, who oversaw details of the settlement, told The Washington Post that he has “no reason to believe that [Whitaker] knew of any of the wrongdoing.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1060942435893829632

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sweeper posted:

That was me, and I said I was hoping I was wrong and I’m very much happy to be so.

OAquinas posted:

I've heard cautionary mentions of maricopa that there's some chuddy bits to it (so as to not inflate expectations) but I haven't seen anything that said "maricopa=mcsally country"

That said, REALLY good news. 21K is starting to get into "hard to catch up" territory for McSally.

Yeah, my optimism is growing more. For reference, Maricopa hasn’t voted blue for a senator for 30 years I believe, and even in 2016 when the state narrowed further, it was still a large decisive win for McCain.

Also, I think Pima is counting their votes faster than Maricopa, so they could be pulling it a bit more toward Sinema at the moment but if Maricopa even holds 50:50 the rest of the way it should be good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Furnaceface posted:

With how long you guys drag out elections Im honestly kind of surprised heart attacks and liver failure arent way more prevalent, especially in young people.

Good news, most of our young people don't vote or care. We are thrilled that their voting surged to like 40%.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The Arizona SoS is actually closer than the senate race, and you'd think any Sinema votes would go to help the dem...could actually pull it off, maybe!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1061012945499512837

I think Sinema may have just :decorum:'d her senate seat away...

So not only was this the morally right thing to do, politically smart thing to do (because the rurals aren't gonna get any serious amount of votes and its best to be on the side of count every vote, every time); this was legally a VERY smart thing to do. Why? Bush v. Gore. Bush v. Gore, technically, was a ruling that counting ballots in different ways in different precincts violated due process.

In other words, trying to stick with the "count my ballots, not theirs" gives an absolutely ideal opportunity for the Supreme Court to step in and "but actually, in a 5-4 decision..." a Republican victory. The roadmap is all right there, Republicans would have made that argument and under the Bush v. Gore precedent they'd have a good shot at winning. Giving Republicans a tiny handful of ballots in exchange for SCOTUS-proofing this ballot count is a great win.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

farraday posted:

Lie cheat and steal if you think you can get away with it because everyone else is doing it as well.

MSDOS KAPITAL, future wall street banker.
I want leftists to take control of the government and I'm not particularly picky how it happens, especially considering the people opposed to it happening will absolutely break every rule that exists to hold on to power.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
This thread sometimes...

"Every vote should count and everyone should have the opportunity to vote" is both the morally correct position and beneficial to Democrats. There's no need to make some kind of devil's bargain here.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
It looks like they're still updating the counts on that site, though the gap still seems to be holding.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He was definitely a Grand Master of something

I believe you are thinking "Wizard" friend

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lightning Knight posted:

I would argue it's likely the Kavanaugh thing probably hosed him, it reportedly cost him all his volunteers which means no GOTV and probably obliterated his standing with Democratic women.

Right. Maybe he would have done much better but probably not enough to win if he had just kept his mouth shut? He was trailing in the polls at that point and in the end it wasn't even close.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

OAquinas posted:

The Arizona SoS is actually closer than the senate race, and you'd think any Sinema votes would go to help the dem...could actually pull it off, maybe!

People vote in weird, stupid, ugly(racist, sexist, you name it) ways. Look at Gillum being down by more than Nelson, Or Baldwin winning by 11 and Walker losing by 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ague Proof posted:

Right. He would have done much better but probably not enough to win if he had just kept his mouth shut? He was trailing in the polls at that point.

I don't think we could argue the counterfactual but he would've certainly had better GOTV. He perhaps could've chosen to campaign on something else actually useful, instead. We shall never know. :iiam: