Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Opentarget posted:

Speaking of primer, I was looking at paints and talking to my friend about primers and paint schemes at the hobby shop the other day and some dude chimed in to say that GW Base paints have primer in them so you don't need to prime your models if using GW paints.

I ignored him, but he's not right, is he? I'm mostly curious about the composition of the GW paints. I just figured the Base paints were thicker than the Layer paints so you could have a good, you know, basecoat.

The GW base color rattle cans are/have primer, but not the pots.

That's a great looking marine condolezza. What chapter is it, or none?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Skails posted:

The GW base color rattle cans are/have primer, but not the pots.

That's a great looking marine condolezza. What chapter is it, or none?

Thanks! It's a Blood Raven.
I've ordered decal paper to print my own water slide decals, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive, so I'm done for now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

panascope posted:

Is there a good tool or method for cleaning the airbrush needle?

Sorry this is so far back, but:

I use Hoppe's Number 9 gun oil and an old needle that you're no longer using in the airbrush.

The brass tip is almost always the cause of blockages or reduced air pressure for me, and I find dipping an old out-of-comission needle into the gun oil and then poking around the brass tip is basically fool proof.

The gun oil is used to clean and lubricate gun rifle barrels, so it's pretty great at Airbrush barrels too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
And if you don't have any old needles, or want something a bit more robust, there are dedicated nozzle cleaners out there. Just google "airbrush reamer", and there are a ton out there for cheap. They generally look the the below image. Great for getting out dried bits in the nozzles and other fine areas of the airbrush.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And if you don't have any old needles, or want something a bit more robust, there are dedicated nozzle cleaners out there. Just google "airbrush reamer", and there are a ton out there for cheap. They generally look the the below image. Great for getting out dried bits in the nozzles and other fine areas of the airbrush.

That looks awesome! Thanks for that :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

You succeeded extremely on both points. I'd love to know how it was done.

The metal is super simple. Paint black, draw thick patterns with a dark metal color, then draw thinner lines on top of the dark metal with a lighter metal. I used Scale 75 Black Metal, Heavy Metal and Speed Metal.

The marble starts with a medium light grey.
To get the base grey to have random light and dark spots, I thin Vallejo black primer with a lot of water and add in some Vallejo white primer. You don't want to mix it into a solid grey, but just swirl it around so you get a lot different greys ranging from white to black. The primer should still be so thin that you can "lay" different greys onto your marble base and drag them into each other, in a way so you'll end up with tidemarks in different colors on your marble base.
Now use a light grey to paint thin lines across the marble. Choose a direction and make all the lines follow that direction, but either roll the brush between your fingers, or grab it so hard that your hand shakes, so the lines jump around a bit.
Now highlight parts of the lines with pure white, mostly where the lines join. I like to add a few gold lines as well.
Highlight the marble with light grey and white as usual.
That should give you a very clean marble, that's somewhere between light and dark grey. I glazed it with a brown ink to make it look a little warmer.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hoppe's Number 9 works great for this and won't damage brass or chrome.

It shouldn't bother Teflon seals either.

The first time I used it to clean out my 105's nozzle i was shocked at the amount of shmutz that came out.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Excoriators 5th company, brother Athamas.

Mostly done, may go back an touch up Excoriator badge.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Did a test Gaslands car, converted from a cheap Matchbox scale car I got from the supermarket, some plasticard, and some Ramshackle Games bits.
Sort of nice to not have to bother about being too neat about the whole thing, since it's supposed to be Mad Matchbox Max.

There's a magnet under the divot on the roof, and under the skull plate covering the engine. I've got some guns, turrets, and gunners that I'm going to paint up and magnetise.

EDIT: That car started out yellow

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 11, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I really like the spiderwebbing and here in the bottom-right you've really reinforced (...heh) that it's ceramic plate not metal which I think is too-often forgotten?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Cross posting some Tyranid Genestealers I finished up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Duct Tape posted:

Cross posting some Tyranid Genestealers I finished up.

Give one of them a tongue stud.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Schadenboner posted:

I really like the spiderwebbing and here in the bottom-right you've really reinforced (...heh) that it's ceramic plate not metal which I think is too-often forgotten?

Thanks, on that bottom right one I used an image of real ceramic armor that had been shot. I think the bone/ivory base color works well to carry the effect.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My Gaslands stuff

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How sensitive is the trigger on an airbrush supposed to be? My Sparmax Max-4 is either no air or all of the air. I have no control at all over the amount of air flowing through it. And yes, I do have the dual-action valve on.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have never managed a non-binary airflow. I am sure there is some way to not push it all the way down, but ... maybe I am doing it wrong.

If the trigger has 4mm of travel, I am sure it must be possible to only depress it 2mm and get a reduced airflow.

I just handle that by messing with The Airbrush Equation.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

DJ Dizzy posted:

How sensitive is the trigger on an airbrush supposed to be? My Sparmax Max-4 is either no air or all of the air. I have no control at all over the amount of air flowing through it. And yes, I do have the dual-action valve on.

I don't know about the Sparmax, but every airbrush I've used has an all or nothing air trigger, I've seen a few that have a dial to adjust air flow at the brush but I've never seen one that had a trigger that adjusted air flow (pushing down), only paint flow (pulling back).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

My Gaslands stuff

Well, this is what pushed me into buying the Gaslands rulebook

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DJ Dizzy posted:

The Sparmax Max 4 comes as a dual action (down for air, back for paint) but it comes with a single action valve. Did you happen to install that?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

As stated in my post, I have the dual-action valve on. The single action valve is a constant airflow.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

My dual-action Sotar 2020 is air on/off only. If you want adjust the airflow do it at the regulator

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, this is what pushed me into buying the Gaslands rulebook

Yay!

When you get it, if you want any advice on starting out, or have rules questions hit up the Gaslands thread.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DJ Dizzy posted:

As stated in my post, I have the dual-action valve on. The single action valve is a constant airflow.

:hmmyes:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
My badger Patriot is dual action and very easy to manage flow. Pressing a little gives a little air, pressing more gets more air.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I've never been able to manage the trick of partial pressure on the air part of the trigger. I just fiddle with the DPI on the regulator and accept that I'm going to be working at mostly 15 or 30 DPI, and am careful about how much paint I introduce.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

I've never been able to manage the trick of partial pressure on the air part of the trigger. I just fiddle with the DPI on the regulator and accept that I'm going to be working at mostly 15 or 30 DPI, and am careful about how much paint I introduce.

PSI not DPI

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Booley posted:

PSI not DPI

Well with an airbrush one kind of determines the other, right?!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You should really set your airbrush to render at no less than 600 DPI these days, to future-proof your paint jobs.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Well with an airbrush one kind of determines the other, right?!

Not in any usage I've ever heard. Even if you wanted to try to apply DPI to airbrushing, it's a secondary characteristic rather than an actual adjustable one, so it wouldn't make sense in that context. A regulator adjusts PSI. I think DPI for an airbrush would be more of a measure of how finely the paint atomized, which would be based on PSI and paint thickness.

grassy gnoll posted:

You should really set your airbrush to render at no less than 600 DPI these days, to future-proof your paint jobs.

Renders are at pixels per inch, not dots per inch. DPI only applies to printing.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Booley posted:

Renders are at pixels per inch, not dots per inch. DPI only applies to printing.

DPI is used analogously with PPI in a lot of fields. Strictly speaking you're correct, but you can walk into any given archive or web developer's office, express resolution of digital product in terms of DPI and get a cogent response.

But come on, man, :thejoke:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

grassy gnoll posted:

But come on, man, :thejoke:

This but for me too.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Aight, thanks for all the replies! Seems I just misunderstood something.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Caved and got some stuff commissioned for a KT while I keep on trucking with these death guard. God bless typhus corrosion and agrax

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DJ Dizzy posted:

Aight, thanks for all the replies! Seems I just misunderstood something.

There's definitely something to what you're trying; there are airbrush artists who can half-depress the air button to vary the airflow. But that's Advanced Technique for people who've developed very precise finger control from doing regular airbrush work constantly for years.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of airbrushes, maybe y'all can help me.

I have every part of the Iwata Workstation in this video. But I bought them all separately, and the packaging I bought the Regulator/Moisture Trap bit in -- though it does seem to be official Iwata-Medea packaging -- did not have the "Part of the Iwata Workstation!" branding on it, and it didn't come with the little metal mounting bracket you use to connect it to the airbrush holder. For lack of that little metal bracket, I can't connect the regulator to the conveniently placed airbrush holder, and so I'm still using the regulator on my compressor, which is awkwardly placed behind my table -- I need to get up any time I want to adjust DPI PSI, whereas what I want is to be able to easily reach over and adjust PSI casually.

I've contacted Iwata-Medea about getting that mounting bracket, and they have never replied to me or acknowledged receiving anything I've sent them. Google and eBay searches for variants on "Iwata workstation mounting bracket" don't produce useful results.

What do?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, maybe y'all can help me.

I have every part of the Iwata Workstation in this video. But I bought them all separately, and the packaging I bought the Regulator/Moisture Trap bit in -- though it does seem to be official Iwata-Medea packaging -- did not have the "Part of the Iwata Workstation!" branding on it, and it didn't come with the little metal mounting bracket you use to connect it to the airbrush holder. For lack of that little metal bracket, I can't connect the regulator to the conveniently placed airbrush holder, and so I'm still using the regulator on my compressor, which is awkwardly placed behind my table -- I need to get up any time I want to adjust DPI PSI, whereas what I want is to be able to easily reach over and adjust PSI casually.

I've contacted Iwata-Medea about getting that mounting bracket, and they have never replied to me or acknowledged receiving anything I've sent them. Google and eBay searches for variants on "Iwata workstation mounting bracket" don't produce useful results.

What do?

Buy this regulator, use either the entire thing or just the bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00171BFKK

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Just chiming in after my previous questions to say that I picked up some windsor and newton flow improver and the mix I tried thats roughly 1/10 is like night and day compared to just using water. Extremely blessed.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

Buy this regulator, use either the entire thing or just the bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00171BFKK

Ha!

Yeah, that looks like it might do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mr Teatime posted:

Just chiming in after my previous questions to say that I picked up some windsor and newton flow improver and the mix I tried thats roughly 1/10 is like night and day compared to just using water. Extremely blessed.

It's great stuff.