Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sedisp posted:

The ability to pack up and move to a different country without having to deal with a Coyotaje or equivalent human trafficker is pretty bourgie in and of itself.

lol dog you literally called it white flight

you know what else is bougie as gently caress? using a computer to post on the internet in a forum for making fun of weirdos who spent too much on a videogame but here you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

babypolis posted:

you know what else is bougie as gently caress? using a computer to post on the internet in a forum for making fun of weirdos who spent too much on a videogame but here you are

98% of American homes have fridges new survey says.

And I'm doing the most working class thing of all posting at work.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i like the map that says these areas will be lost to rising sea levels that then forgets mexico exists and labels the entire southern border

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
I really love being a high school physics teacher. I get to introduce kids to a way of looking at the world that they probably haven't been exposed to before.

Fortunately we're given the funding to provide labs and to print notes and worksheets that allow the kids to practice the skills we've taught them--

Oh...right.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
There was a bumper sticker...

Wouldn't it be nice if schools had all the money they needed
and the Air Force had to have a bake sale to buy a bomber.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

i like the map that says these areas will be lost to rising sea levels that then forgets mexico exists and labels the entire southern border

maybe they realized that the border wall was infeasible and assumed we'd just extend canals across the land to connect the pacific with the gulf via the rio grande in order to demarcate it

and obviously sea level rise would gently caress all that up because there's no locks because it's not a navigational canal but instead a border security "moat" canal

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
bougie babies getting into slapfights over who is more bougie

like the guy who makes 2x median income is a problem while there are literal parasites at the top who contribute nothing to society and control 99% of the wealth

Malachi Constant posted:

I really love being a high school physics teacher. I get to introduce kids to a way of looking at the world that they probably haven't been exposed to before.

Fortunately we're given the funding to provide labs and to print notes and worksheets that allow the kids to practice the skills we've taught them--

Oh...right.
this isn't real right?

Homocow has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Nov 10, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sedisp posted:

lol dog you literally called it white flight

Yes? I'm not denying it's privileged as gently caress to even be able to consider it in the first place, it absolutely is, that's why I said that. My point is claiming we're running away from a problem "of [our] own creation" is hella bullshit.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Everyone who wants to post about what is or isn't bougie has to include a photo of their most recent bank statement and everything inside their wallet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you have a bank account

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/billybarrett123/status/1061186225879609345?s=19

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Yes? I'm not denying it's privileged as gently caress to even be able to consider it in the first place, it absolutely is, that's why I said that. My point is claiming we're running away from a problem "of [our] own creation" is hella bullshit.

Your wife might not have a hand in its creation but if you're white and privileged yeah you hella do.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Everyone who wants to post about what is or isn't bougie has to include a photo of their most recent bank statement and everything inside their wallet

Wallet includes one credit card my hralth insurance card my time card my driver's license and my union card to remind new people of their Weingarten rights.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lambert posted:

"Leaving the country is racist" is the dumbest possible take. This is some real "manifest destiny" idiocy.

The threats of "I'm going to Canada" that liberals make after every election are the ultimate privileged FYGM bullshit. Congrats on your new life, and on leaving all the less privileged people behind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shame Boy posted:

I didn't personally cause or contribute to any problems, so I don't see why I should care about them. Coincidentally my wealth was spontaneuosly created one day, and most definitely has nothing to do with being part of the system (to which I do not contribute).

Goddamn Yanks are just giddy to ruin other countries after getting tired of one giant homemade ;hellscape

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

The threats of "I'm going to Canada" that liberals make after every election are the ultimate privileged FYGM bullshit. Congrats on your new life, and on leaving all the less privileged people behind.

No one owes you anything. Politics in the US aren't going to be fixed, as the problem is foundational and there's no appetite to do anything about it.

Expecting others to stay in a bad situation for your benefit sounds like some FYGM bullshit.

Is this also what you tell refugees at the border? "You should have stayed, you're leaving all the less privileged people behind. Fleeing is the ultimate privilege, refugee go home!"

Lambert has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Nov 10, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Lambert posted:

No one owes you anything. Politics in the US aren't going to be fixed, as the problem is foundational and there's no appetite to do anything about it.

Expecting others to stay in a bad situation for your benefit sounds like some FYGM bullshit.

Is this also what you tell refugees at the border? "You should have stayed, you're leaving all the less privileged people behind. Fleeing is the ultimate privilege, refugee go home!"

Literally seen right wingers make this argument about Syrian refugees.

Would not be surprised if right wingers had made the same argument about Jews before WWII.

I know the Daily Mail campaigned against letting jewish children in to stay with relatives when people were trying to get their kids out of Nazi Germany.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

ITT we make our loved ones miserable to score internet warrior points

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MizPiz posted:

Do we get more points if it's negative?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lambert posted:

You aren't fleeing a war that destroyed your livelyhood, lol.

Anyway, I was talking about white affluent liberals who are the ones who always bring up immigration (because they are the ones who can afford it), not about those in danger of feeling the effects of reactionarism (who can't afford it). And it's in pretty poor taste to use the plight of the latter to legitimize the actions of the former. If somebody is in existential danger, then yes, maybe get out.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Nov 10, 2018

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

boy it sure is weird how every european leftist immediately turns into a frothing nationalist when immigration comes up

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bro Dad posted:

boy it sure is weird how every european leftist immediately turns into a frothing nationalist when immigration comes up

Poor Americans, truly the victims of immigration bias worldwide. But yes, I would prefer not having more of them closer.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Bro Dad posted:

Yankee go stay home

Please don't give your idiot government an excuse to intervene on your behalf when the government of the country you flee to raises the rate of corporation tax

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

yep there you go

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dead Beef posted:

this isn't real right?

It's real.

And I'm putting Lockheed Martin stickers on my kindergarten class's take home folders because corporations can pay for advertisements in the classrooms.

(i'm not bullshitting here.)

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Nov 10, 2018

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Dead Beef posted:

this isn't real right?

What does your heart tell you?

edit: Fortunately, though, we had time this week we were able to interrupt class to attend a veterans day assembly where we learned that all of the rights we have are solely thanks to the existence of the military. We even got to listen to a youth pastor who served four years in the marines!

Malachi Constant has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Nov 10, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

You aren't fleeing a war that destroyed your livelyhood, lol.

Anyway, I was talking about white affluent liberals who are the ones who always bring up immigration (because they are the ones who can afford it), not about those in danger of feeling the effects of reactionarism (who can't afford it). And it's in pretty poor taste to use the plight of the latter to legitimize the actions of the former. If somebody is in existential danger, then yes, maybe get out.

Maybe let people judge for themselves if they're in a situation they want to get out of? And yes, the US isn't an active war zone, it's not Syria. But that doesn't mean individuals aren't allowed to say "gently caress it" and leave whenever they want. They don't owe you to stay in a situation they deem bad for themselves just because you think it isn't "bad enough".

American journalists couldn't even band together when Trump yelled at and expelled one of their colleagues this week. But sure, things would be soooo much better if a few people didn't leave.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Nov 10, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MizPiz posted:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

if you had the chance to move to a better place and decided to stay for some nebulous concept of white guilt/infinitesimal chance your personal contribution would amount to anything, congratulations you are a loving moron

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
White liberals loving off to scandinavia or something while minorities are left to deal with turbo fascist america is loving lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sedisp posted:

Your wife might not have a hand in its creation but if you're white and privileged yeah you hella do.

He said to the man who makes a living driving a bulldozer at the local landfill.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Also gently caress anyone who leaves their lovely spouse instead of staying around to fix the marriage.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Writing climate change think pieces from my lakefront condo in Finland while a few miles away private military companies mow down hordes of black and brown refugees at the border

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wealthy liberals fleeing America to escape persecution is lol, because Trump loves rich people. Wealthy liberals fleeing American to not have blood on their hands when Trump initiates his genocide is ok though.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sorry my love even though i can afford it i cannot pay for your cancer treatment. you see it would be a slap in the face to every american who doesnt have healthcare

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I thought you guys all moved to Canada during the bush years anyway

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Probably moved back because of Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MizPiz posted:

Yesterday was pay day and out of $500 I have about $70 left over. though I made about 80 in tips.