Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dross posted:

Right, it's not so much my concern for their feelings, it's that I've only been in this role for 5 months and I'm concerned I'll be risking my current job (in the eyes of both the recruiter and the client) in the process.
I'll reiterate: which is all to say that any employer or recruiter working with contract employees (who aren't, like, high-paid consultants) should expect those employees to be taking time off for interviews for big-boy jobs. And if they are giving you poo poo for that, that is a problem with their expectations, not your work ethic. If they want an employee who isn't looking to bail as soon as possible, then they need to be paying an employee to not do that, which is to say they need to be providing healthcare and PTO.

After five months, I highly doubt they are going to fire you for someone they're going to have to retrain because you took time off for job interviews. And even if they do, and you know that they're going to do that, what are you going to do, stop going to job interviews? No, gently caress that. Get thee to a jobbery! :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm almost out of college and about to ditch this wack rear end job that has no benefits and am about to start returning recruiter messages. How does one negotiate for benefits? I'd like me some sweet vision insurance for instance.
Vision insurance is cheap & common. I think family coverage through VSP is something like $40 a month? Most places that give you health & dental are gonna give you vision, too.

Price out a private plan ahead of time, and if for whatever reason the employer doesn't offer it, ask for the cost plus 20% (since you'll need to pay for it with post-tax money) during your salary negotiation.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 7, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The HR vp who left the company earlier just poached the gently caress out of me. I will get an avp title and all the salary, stock options, and everything else that would be expected. For me personally there wasn’t even issues that affected me to want to look elsewhere but this fell into my lap.

They even gave me start a date that would help me secure my bonus payouts at my current place.

:feelsgood:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

The HR vp who left the company earlier just poached the gently caress out of me. I will get an avp title and all the salary, stock options, and everything else that would be expected. For me personally there wasn’t even issues that affected me to want to look elsewhere but this fell into my lap.

They even gave me start a date that would help me secure my bonus payouts at my current place.

:yotj:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

lol, imagine i posted screenshots of your recent posts with "a story in 3 acts"

Congrats man, that's awesome.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

That’s amazing, congratulations!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Has anyone used any inventory management with Service Now? It's something it sounds like my office is going to be implementing in the next year or so, but I need a temporary solution a little faster than that. I'm mostly curious as to how it works so I can come up with something that wont be too drastically different than the eventual end product.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Has anyone used any inventory management with Service Now? It's something it sounds like my office is going to be implementing in the next year or so, but I need a temporary solution a little faster than that. I'm mostly curious as to how it works so I can come up with something that wont be too drastically different than the eventual end product.

They deployed ServiceNow on the business side of the house here and my only contribution to the service now discussion is

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
A friend of mine said Servicenow was an accounting program disguised as support software.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I recently flattened and reinstalled my Server 2016 file server and I just remembered that there was a powershell script to run that would prevent or minimize the blast radius of a crypto variant.

Can anyone remind me of the name/link to that script/software/installer?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was it this?

https://fsrm.experiant.ca/

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

A cool and good powershell script that will possibly save your rear end from an obnoxious windows file server restore from backup at some point

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lucid Nonsense posted:

A friend of mine said Servicenow was an accounting program disguised as support software.

ServiceNow can do practically ANYTHING you can IMAGINE!! Badly

The other element is that none of it is easy and it's super common to end up off the rails with a lovely process in SN because you didn't plan and implement correctly. Enjoy!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What do I do on a resume when I’ve done the exact same job in the same place but I got handed from contractor to in house?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

What do I do on a resume when I’ve done the exact same job in the same place but I got handed from contractor to in house?
Personally, I wouldn't bother mentioning it. Put your start date as your start date as a contractor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I’ve had to deal with that (more of company got purchased then that company got purchased). I usually put:

JOB TITLE COMPANY C
$DATE_1 to Present (As company A, $DATE_1 to $DATE_2) (As company B, $DATE_2 to $DATE_3)

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Lost one of my peer managers today. Head of our EA team. Dude got a dream job working at Microsoft as a PM.

Really knocked the wind out of my sails. I had my disagreements with him, but he was one hell of a technologist and our company is poorer for losing him.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://www.icecubecon.com

Dot com work is pretty cool.

I already had my tickets and now I get to see cube live.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

Lost one of my peer managers today. Head of our EA team. Dude got a dream job working at Microsoft as a PM.

Really knocked the wind out of my sails. I had my disagreements with him, but he was one hell of a technologist and our company is poorer for losing him.

Yeah, I've lost several people I really liked working with at my current company. It always sucks.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

PBS posted:

Yeah, I've lost several people I really liked working with at my current company. It always sucks.

Follow them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

I've swapped back and forth between regular employment and contracting so many times my CV started to have more details about who I contracted for than what job I did.

I removed all mentions of contracting from it and just kept the work I did, and now it looks tons nicer.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Signed my contract that turns me into a permanent employee, earlier this week.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

skooma512 posted:

If you've been there long enough, I'd list them as two separate jobs if you can do it without being suspicious. For example, I've been at the same place for 7 years, but have been through some mergers. They'll show as different jobs on my resume, because otherwise my 2nd job on my resume has to be 7 years old, and there's simply nothing I did 7 years ago which is relevant anymore. The way I do it, I can divide up the last 7 years worth of bullets between a few different employers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sefal posted:

Signed my contract that turns me into a permanent employee, earlier this week.

Congrats!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have an interesting position.

I did my annual appraisal with my boss, who I basically told I have done everything, we know I'm your best dude and I'm ready for the next opportunity.
There is a big job shuffle about to happen down in the office he works so I think he knows that I will be putting my hat in the ring, should the right job come up.

So I also have what I refer to as a 'step boss' I report to a senior manager in the site I work at, mainly for logistical stuff like annual leave and not a lot else.
However, she told me today that they do an annual talent review after the appraisal process and she said I was excellent promotion material which is basically top marks.

What makes that interesting is this process is always a bit of a misnomer where management tell you how great you are, knowing there isn't that much scope for you to actually go anywhere unless someone leaves. However, on this occasion, one part of the company have documented that I am very much ready to move up. Another part of the company is about to release appealing job opportunities but there is an element of left hand hasn't told right hand that it basically looks likely I am about to make a move.

I flipping hope it will anyway!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

Follow them.

Yeah, I think I'm going to.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
6 months ago, when I was just starting this gig: "Ha, school's closed today, so that means I'll barely have anything to do with no one around to call in tickets."

Today: "Schools closed today, HOLY gently caress I have so much poo poo that I can actually get done now that there are no loving people in the way."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Working as a student worker in college exposed me to enough politics that I swore off working in educational institutions if I could help it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nominal posted:

6 months ago, when I was just starting this gig: "Ha, school's closed today, so that means I'll barely have anything to do with no one around to call in tickets."

Today: "Schools closed today, HOLY gently caress I have so much poo poo that I can actually get done now that there are no loving people in the way."

This is me on Black Friday and in late December.

devmd01 posted:

Working as a student worker in college exposed me to enough politics that I swore off working in educational institutions if I could help it.
I think the only place worse for office politics than academia is actual politics.

Maybe.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to.

Uh

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

I have an interesting position.

I did my annual appraisal with my boss, who I basically told I have done everything, we know I'm your best dude and I'm ready for the next opportunity.
There is a big job shuffle about to happen down in the office he works so I think he knows that I will be putting my hat in the ring, should the right job come up.

So I also have what I refer to as a 'step boss' I report to a senior manager in the site I work at, mainly for logistical stuff like annual leave and not a lot else.
However, she told me today that they do an annual talent review after the appraisal process and she said I was excellent promotion material which is basically top marks.

What makes that interesting is this process is always a bit of a misnomer where management tell you how great you are, knowing there isn't that much scope for you to actually go anywhere unless someone leaves. However, on this occasion, one part of the company have documented that I am very much ready to move up. Another part of the company is about to release appealing job opportunities but there is an element of left hand hasn't told right hand that it basically looks likely I am about to make a move.

I flipping hope it will anyway!

Be pro-active about it, tell all of your bosses that you want to take your two glowing reviews and jump into one of the positions which is opening up, and make sure whomever is opening those positions knows how much your bosses want you to move to those positions. You're in charge of your promotion.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

I'm angry and burnt out at the moment. Too many 7 day weeks in a row.

It'll probably pass.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanatosian posted:

This is me on Black Friday and in late December.

Yep. Or it used to be.
I'm a contractor now, and can't even come in when the office is officially closed, plus not getting paid for holidays - all 12 of them this company takes. 3 days for Thanksgiving this years! I'd be ecstatic for the time off if that didn't blow my paycheck to hell and gone. loving 24 hours just gone, and zero chance to make up more than 2-4 hours by coming in early, because weekly paychecks.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Yep. Or it used to be.
I'm a contractor now, and can't even come in when the office is officially closed, plus not getting paid for holidays - all 12 of them this company takes. 3 days for Thanksgiving this years! I'd be ecstatic for the time off if that didn't blow my paycheck to hell and gone. loving 24 hours just gone, and zero chance to make up more than 2-4 hours by coming in early, because weekly paychecks.

This is by far the worst thing about contract jobs. I'm lucky my agency pays for the official holidays now but not for the Day after Thanksgiving the 24th or the 31st or fuckin Good Friday for whatever reason.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

People blaming the network is a form of gaslighting.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

If you’re at kubecon anyway.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

jaegerx posted:

If you’re at kubecon anyway.

I am not and now I wish I was

Looking forward to seeing who Amazon pays to perform for a shitload of very drunk and very disinterested nerds at re:Invent in a few weeks, though! Last year was some EDM person I'd never heard of (but I don't listen to EDM so maybe they were the Beatles of that genre for all I know).

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

my bitter bi rival posted:

People blaming the network is a form of gaslighting.

This one iPad isn't connecting to Google. It's definitely the entire network, and I won't be conducting any further investigations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s either that or everything is “the server”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I took over running a video production house, and everything was the SAN. Can’t log in cause you locked out your account by banging your password in too many times with your sausage fingers? It’s the SAN. Printer not working? “The SAN isn’t letting me print!” Final Cut crashed because you made a 15GB project file in a 32bit program? “It’s the SAN, gonna go home ‘cause I can’t work :shrug:” Adobe Premiere crashed because Adobe? It’s the SAN.

I ended up hanging an LCD in the break room with a realtime status readout of all the infrastructure using stoplight-style indicators. Didn’t help.