Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
January is a great time to hit up the various Palermo areas in BA for the trendy bars that are usually too crowded to get in.

That said, for years now long weekends have become the norm in Argentina so the city doesn’t empty out in January like it used to.

It’ll be hot and humid, though, be ready for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Any idea what the turnaround time is on the evisa? Is it one of those things where I can apply online at the airport and it's waiting for me when I land on the other end, or is it a couple of days?

I really loved Brazil and have always wanted to go back but the visa situation just makes it impossible to plan travel there less than 2 months in advance.

I just did the new Brazil evisa last month in order to do both sides of Iguazu Falls. It took 36 hours from applying until they emailed me my visa. And that was applying at 2 in the morning Brazil time. So it's super quick.

Also did Colonia 2 days ago, and yeah, it's cute and quaint and you get to visit a new country, but you can easily do the whole thing in an afternoon. Caught the late ferry to arrive at 12:15pm and left at 8pm and it was PLENTY of time (watched some World Cup to kill 2 hours even), plus got to watch a drop dead gorgeous sunset by leaving after dark.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Yeah I would echo that Colonia is pretty meh. I'd spend more time in Montevideo instead. Definitely rent bikes and ride down La Rambla on the coast. Easily one of my favorite things there. BA is awesome. Spent a month there last November and loved every minute of it. Good call on San Telmo on a Sunday. The market rules. I think you have most of the main attractions covered. If you want the best steak of your life: Don Julio in Palermo.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Awesome, thanks all for tips. I'll skip Colonia, then, especially having already been to Portugal and seen similar architecture.

Altogether spending 5 nights in BA, split between Palermo and maybe Recoleta. Spend 2 nights in Montevideo, then rent a car and drive to the coast for 2 nights in Punta del Este.
Plus, Uruguay Carnaval should be going on during my stay in Montevideo.

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 22, 2018

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^ Sounds solid! Enjoy.

SixPabst posted:

If you want the best steak of your life: Don Julio in Palermo.

God drat they make good steaks. And for like the equivalent of €10 too. (Might be more now that the peso has collapsed, but possibly less too.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Girlfriend found us a pair of tickets round trip to costa rica for $380 so I guess we are going there over labor day weekend. Looks like Friday through the following Saturday so six full days on the ground and two travel days.

We are both experienced travelers in our 30s, each with ~25-35 countries under our belts over the last 10 years, we traveled for three months in se asia last year etc. I have probably 100 200 posts in this thread going back to 2009.

Costa Rica is often touted as an easy first trip so I am expecting a lot of the experiences to be taliored toward wide-eyed, 22-24 year old college students on their first trip

What should I avoid as a couple in their mid 30s? Any deserted beaches we should check out? We both have hammocks ready to go.

Looks like we are definitely doing Monteverde Cloud Forest, that is the girlfriend's #1 thing, specifically their red cable bridge.

I've always wanted to visit that island inside the big lake in Nicaragua, is it reasonable to try and travel there on this trip? Day trip from cloud forest? 3 day trip?

I've always kind of avoided Costa Rica because it is so on the beaten path, never really researched it in earnest, so now that I'm headed here, trying to avoid the more obvious tourist traps (besides Cloud Forest) and maybe rent a car and do something different? Thoughts?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
You can visit Lake Nicaragua but it is a 3 day trip minimum. It is a minimum ± 6 hours to get from Ometepe Island to Liberia, and probably more like 8 because you have to deal with scheduling the chicken buses, the ferry, border delays, etc.

I really liked Ometepe but it is a LONG way from Costa Rica because public transport in Nicaragua is hot garbage, even worse than Costa Rica's. Essentially you have to get to Liberia, get a bus to Rivas, then get a transfer to the port, then get a ferry to Moyogalpa, and then rent a 4x4 to get to where you actually want to go on Ometepe Island (which is large and definitely requires a 4x4 or scooter if you're good enough to drive with 2 people on a scooter).

I just checked my photos and wife’s journal from the day when we did it going north and the day going south, and it was about 11 hours door to door from San Jose to our bnb just outside Moyogalpa. We had a direct bus from San Jose to Rivas, which took about 7 hours (including border, also it took us almost 2 hours to get the loving tickets, god drat buses in San Jose are the most disorganized trash I have ever seen or heard of and I have been to a lot of poor countries by public transport). Then from Rivas we took a taxi with 3 randos to the port, which took like 20 min and we told the guy to step on it so we could make the ferry. Ferry took about an hour and I was half-sure the thing was going to sink it was listing so badly either because the boat was built in 1915 and never maintained, or because it was badly loaded. Anyway it was clear skies. Then we got to Moyogalpa and dealt with rear end in a top hat taxi drivers for 10 min before one would charge a not insane rate to drive us for 10 min to our place just outside Moyogalpa because it was almost sunset so we didn’t want to walk it and get lost.

On the way back we started in San Juan Del Sur and went to Liberia and it only took 5 hours. ~20 min taxi from San Juan to Rivas, then chicken bus from Rivas to Liberia. Border took about an hour on both inbound and outbound.

E: But I will say, I really liked Ometepe but it might not jive with your schedule if you only have 8 days, especially if you fly in/out of San Jose instead of Liberia.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 12, 2018

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Ixian posted:

Any advice for Sao Paulo? I've been to and around Rio before but never SP. I have to go there for 4 days on business in June. I get in early Sunday so I'll have a day to fart around, at least, plus evenings.

Staying in the Jardines area, which I'm told is one of the better areas of the (enormous) city. Anything specific to look out for/check out? No time to explore the broader area obviously.

Going up to Rio after that but I'm pretty familiar with it, at least.

Seconding this request for info.

I'm going to Brazil for a week in September, spending a couple days each in Campinas, Sao Paulo, and Rio.
I like architecture/interesting neighborhoods, museums, and hiking/nature. Any recommendations in those areas or must-see attractions actually worth the hype? I'm open to day trips too.

Also, is Uber/Lyft a viable option in Brazil? I'm not opposed to public transit or taxis, but I'm trying to minimize my use of cash.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Hadlock posted:

Girlfriend found us a pair of tickets round trip to costa rica for $380 so I guess we are going there over labor day weekend. Looks like Friday through the following Saturday so six full days on the ground and two travel days.

We are both experienced travelers in our 30s, each with ~25-35 countries under our belts over the last 10 years, we traveled for three months in se asia last year etc. I have probably 100 200 posts in this thread going back to 2009.

Costa Rica is often touted as an easy first trip so I am expecting a lot of the experiences to be taliored toward wide-eyed, 22-24 year old college students on their first trip

What should I avoid as a couple in their mid 30s? Any deserted beaches we should check out? We both have hammocks ready to go.

Looks like we are definitely doing Monteverde Cloud Forest, that is the girlfriend's #1 thing, specifically their red cable bridge.

I've always wanted to visit that island inside the big lake in Nicaragua, is it reasonable to try and travel there on this trip? Day trip from cloud forest? 3 day trip?

I've always kind of avoided Costa Rica because it is so on the beaten path, never really researched it in earnest, so now that I'm headed here, trying to avoid the more obvious tourist traps (besides Cloud Forest) and maybe rent a car and do something different? Thoughts?

Esterillos este is my favorite beach in CR, although I was last there 10 years ago so YMMV, huge long flat beach on the pacific side, almost totally deserted, a few little hotels/guesthouses etc, barely any restaurants or nightlife though so stay away if you like that kind of thing. Flor de esterillos was the good one to stay at if I remember.
Monte Verde is weird, but the cloud forest is wonderful, as is the the dairy, which has the second best milkshakes in CR. (The best are at a place called "The Patio" in Manuel Antonio, chocolate ice cream with peanut butter huurrgglll)
If you can contact the Bosque Eterno de los Ninos in Santa Elena and try to stay a night in the hostel at Station Gerado which is a 2 hour hike into the preserve, it's basic and only has electricity for 3 hours a day but its right in the heart of the preserve and has a stunning view of lake Arenal and the volcano, it's one of my favorite places. They should be able to organize a night hike for you.
If you rent a car NEVER leave anything of value in it.
That's my Costa Rica info, have fun.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
HOLY poo poo

I just emailed a transportation company at 3:40 PM local time on a Saturday and got an instant response with accurate information.

Shoutout to Bus-Sur. That's the least South American experience I've ever had with a South American transportation company.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Did anyone else hear about the two tourists dying at Huacachina? Just got an email from PeruHop about it - apparently the government has now banned all buggy tours of the dunes. PeruHop are saying it was an untrained shady tour operator’s fault.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lady Gaza posted:

Did anyone else hear about the two tourists dying at Huacachina? Just got an email from PeruHop about it - apparently the government has now banned all buggy tours of the dunes. PeruHop are saying it was an untrained shady tour operator’s fault.

Wow, I was just there a month ago. Hopefully the driver didn’t swerve trying to avoid the hat that I lost there. Yikes for the town, the buggy rides are far & away the best reason to be there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Going on day 5 in Costa Rica

Holy hell this entire country is one giant tourist trap, gently caress everything about this country, it's a third world poo poo hole yet I'm paying $6 USD for beer

It's pretty but I've seen better in the US

Also if you must come here, labor day weekend is the time to do it, everything is at 1/4 capacity. It rains for an hour every afternoon about 4pm though.

Some gently caress tried selling us a woven hammock for $27 USD, I think I paid $4 in Cambodia for essentially the same hammock last fall.

Costa Rica is definitely a good choice for babbys first international solo trip but given the fact that they ask me if they should charge my card in CRC or USD it just feels like a slightly overpriced Hawaii. I'm pretty sure it you asked nicely they would let you in even without a passport.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Going on day 5 in Costa Rica

Holy hell this entire country is one giant tourist trap, gently caress everything about this country

Costa Rica is definitely a good choice for babbys first international solo trip

Yep, unfortunately. Also good luck haggling that hammock down to anything reasonable. This thread doesn't move much, but the general consensus has always seemed to be "skip Costa Rica."

I organized a family trip there a couple years ago for almost two weeks over Christmas thinking "Everyone always loves Costa Rica!" and after buying the tickets and reserving the beach house and car, we read about it and found out there wasn't much in the country, and that the roads are so incredibly terrible and badly laid out that it takes 3 hours to go 100 km.

The weather was nice and there were a lot of beaches, but man it was boring. Costa Rica can be either better done in either Hawaii (for people who want a nice vacation) or Nicaragua (for people who want an adventure vacation). Everything costs about as much in Hawaii as Costa Rica, so even for people who want a beach vacation there are better spots like DR or Florida.

I'm sure there are nice places, like I've heard Monteverde is great, but the transportation is just terrible for a country that is nominally so wealthy. Guanacaste was very pretty, just not uniquely amazing.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 5, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Hadlock posted:

they ask me if they should charge my card in CRC or USD

This is an international card thing though, most terminals these days will ask if you want to charge in local currency or your home currency. Always pick local currency by the way, as it's a huge forex scam they have going. Paying in your home currency always gives you a lovely rate, but they'll charge your bank the market rate and pocket the difference. ATMs often give you a scary-sounding message about how they "can't guarantee the exchange rate", but they're honestly just relying on you not knowing the market rate and being able to do the maths in your head quickly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Monteverde was nice, but it mostly felt like barracks for tourists to be held while they waited their turn to do ziplines. Despite being on a mountain top overlooking the Pacific, it's extrordinarily difficult to get a view of anything.

La Fortuna by the way, do not stay in town, you want to be 20 minutes out of town on the other side of the dam.

webmeister posted:

This is an international card thing though, most terminals these days will ask if you want to charge in local currency or your home currency.

I've been to 9 countries in the last year (including Mexico, which is sort of Centra America), this is the only place I've been offered this option.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Saladman posted:

Nicaragua (for people who want an adventure vacation).

Isn't Nicaragua pretty well hosed at the moment?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

deong posted:

Isn't Nicaragua pretty well hosed at the moment?

All the more for the "adventure" aspect.

The unrest has kind of died down as far as I know. Just avoid Managua—not that anyone would go there anyway—and avoid any protests if you happen to come across them. But yeah it's always unpredictable so who knows. I'd still pick it over Costa Rica if I had to buy a ticket to one of the two today.. but realistically I'd probably just pick somewhere else all together. I hear Guatemala is nice.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Hadlock posted:

I've been to 9 countries in the last year (including Mexico, which is sort of Centra America), this is the only place I've been offered this option.

Was more of a PSA than anything else. I've been offered the choice in most of the 50+ countries I've visited in the last couple of years - not 100% of the time, but definitely more often than not. Depends on who the seller's bank is I guess.

Either way - always take the local currency option if it's ever offered.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I’m going to be taking a long weekend in Mexico city in a few weeks, and we’re staying in a hotel bordering on Alameda Central. I’d really like to see the Templo Mayor, but I’m wondering if it’s safe to walk there from the hotel, or if I’m better off taking a cab. It will just be me and one other person, are two ladies going to be at risk doing a 30 minute walk through that area? I have limited Spanish, and I think my companion has zero Spanish.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

coronatae posted:

I’m going to be taking a long weekend in Mexico city in a few weeks, and we’re staying in a hotel bordering on Alameda Central. I’d really like to see the Templo Mayor, but I’m wondering if it’s safe to walk there from the hotel, or if I’m better off taking a cab. It will just be me and one other person, are two ladies going to be at risk doing a 30 minute walk through that area? I have limited Spanish, and I think my companion has zero Spanish.

It is totally fine, that area is safe and the walk is not very long, especially if it is not late at night. But you should also recognize that Mexico City has Uber and it is very cheap and widespread. I was there in June and I think it cost like $4 US to get downtown from the airport via Uber, compared to $20ish in a taxi.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We went to Mexico City for the second time in two years recently. Uber is as fast and almost as cheap as public transit, 100% suggest you use Uber for any trip longer than a 10 minute walk unless you're there to get some exercise. Even in polanco long rides were under $5.

I did the whole public transit thing in my 20s before Uber existed and walked everywhere, but now I have limited time and like to reach the end of the day not feeling exhausted and sunburnt.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Cheers LAM goons! We are currently looking for a destination to do a 3 week backpacking trip in March with my girlfriend in South or Central America. We've heard a lot of good things about either Guatemala (and Belize) or Colombia (depending on who you speak to), so I was wondering what the goon advice would be for these countries, or if there is another country absolutely worth doing instead :)

About us: we are from France, both around 30 and like to do a bit a little of everything - city exploring, food tasting, historic sites, some sports and/or scenic hiking, some beaches (if it's worth it), etc. We've only been once to South America, namely Brazil, otherwise we've been around somewhat in Eastern Europe and South-East Asia. We don't mind basic comfort (bus rides, hostels, street food, etc.) as long as it is reasonably safe & clean. Also, we don't speak Spanish, but we can understand some basic stuff owing to the proximity with French.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

T Zero posted:

Seconding this request for info.

I'm going to Brazil for a week in September, spending a couple days each in Campinas, Sao Paulo, and Rio.
I like architecture/interesting neighborhoods, museums, and hiking/nature. Any recommendations in those areas or must-see attractions actually worth the hype? I'm open to day trips too.

Also, is Uber/Lyft a viable option in Brazil? I'm not opposed to public transit or taxis, but I'm trying to minimize my use of cash.

If it's not too late, from Rio you could go to the colonial city of Paraty, or to the island of Ilha Verde. Of course, Rio and Sao Paolo are both great themselves (though SP is more rough around the edges) and have lots of stuff to do. Can't advise you on the Museums unfortunately, but if you like bohemian neighborhoods, you can check out Vila Madalena in SP or Santa Teresa in Rio.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 25, 2018

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Bumping this thread, based on airplane ticket prices we've finally decided to go to Colombia in March :toot:

We'll be flying in and out of Bogota, and we'll surely do the Bogota-Santander-Cartagena-Medellin(-Popayan-)Bogota loop. Any recommendations along the road or in the big cities, based on what I wrote above? Something in particular to watch out for, both positive or negative? Thanks in advance!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Go to the Totumo mud volcano from Cartagena. It’s a totally unique experience that made me laugh uncontrollably from the feeling of free-floating in liquid mud.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm in the very early, tentative stages of honeymoon planning. Pretty set now on Argentina. Does this itinerary sound about right?

Fly in, 4 full days in Buenos Aires
Fly to Igazu Falls, stay 2 days (one for each side of the falls?)
Fly to Salta, stay 2-3 days
Fly back to Buenos Aires

To make a total of about 11 days, give or take a day depending on flights from/to the UK.

We really want to do the Tren a las Nubes and I hear it's exhausting, so we are thinking as an example to get in Thursday night, explore a couple of museums on Friday, train on Saturday, fly back to Buenos Aires Sunday afternoon. I'd quite like a trip out to the salt flats but I very much doubt there's a way to fit this in - we are seasoned enough travellers not to try to cram a hundred activities into a short space of time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The other side of the falls is in Brazil fyi, which I think still requires a Visa for US Citizens.

It's been ages since I've been but iirc the Brazilian side has the best views but the Argentine side lets you go right up to the falls.

I live in Buenos Aires. I can't speak much for its touristic appeal but let me know if you have any specific questions that I can help you out with.

My one piece of advice is that if you can afford it, stay at the Palacio Duhau which is in my opinion one of the best hotels in the planet and right in the nicest area of Buenos Aires.

With regards to your itineray in general, I think you're going to spend a lot of time at the airport and driving to/from your hotel. Are you sure there's an Iguazu-Salta flight? Double check you're not flying over to Buenos Aires or Mendoza first, which would more than double your flight time.

The city of Salta is like, a day trip at best, everything else you have to drive. You might better served flying in as early as possible to Salta, doing the city sights and then just booking it to a nice hotel at Cafayate or something like that, which is an absolutely stunning region.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Huh, I must have skimmed something incorrectly when I was doing a brief Google earlier because the flights I thought I saw clearly don't exist! Good catch, it's back to the drawing board for fitting in Salta I guess. I really love the look of that train ride though, if it weren't for that we wouldn't bother though the MAAM museum sounds interesting too.

I wasn't planning on hiring a car at any point. Is that a big mistake?

e: It looks like there are flights Igazu - Salta but only on certain days, so we would need to plan around that.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 6, 2018

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My wife and I spent two nights at Iguazu. It was a little rushed on day 1 but doable:

Day 1: early flight from BA, drop bags at hotel, taxi across border to Brazilian side (don’t need visa if you’re from UK), spend a few hours at falls, go to bird park if time. Our hotel got someone to take us across and pick us up later, it’s a super quick drive
Day 2: all day at Argentine side
Day 3: fly out

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'm in the very early, tentative stages of honeymoon planning. Pretty set now on Argentina. Does this itinerary sound about right?

Fly in, 4 full days in Buenos Aires
Fly to Igazu Falls, stay 2 days (one for each side of the falls?)
Fly to Salta, stay 2-3 days
Fly back to Buenos Aires

To make a total of about 11 days, give or take a day depending on flights from/to the UK.

We really want to do the Tren a las Nubes and I hear it's exhausting, so we are thinking as an example to get in Thursday night, explore a couple of museums on Friday, train on Saturday, fly back to Buenos Aires Sunday afternoon. I'd quite like a trip out to the salt flats but I very much doubt there's a way to fit this in - we are seasoned enough travellers not to try to cram a hundred activities into a short space of time.

I literally did this itinerary back in June, except I did Salta first. I thought it went really well and think you have the right idea. I saved a travel day by going to Salta the same day I landed in Buenos Aires, taking a taxi to AEP after the plane landed at EZE in the morning, and then getting into Salta around 5pm. Spent one day relaxing in Salta (definitely do the Teleferico), then a day trip to Cachi and a day trip to Cafayate. Liked Cafayate (and the views) a lot more than Cachi. We did not rent a car since I suck at driving manual (I know I know) so took a tour. Do not use dexotic.com cause their buses kept breaking down. Ideally you would rent a car to explore the region, but you don't *have* to do it. Decided to skip the salt flats since there are supposed to be better ones elsewhere in the world. Really liked Café del Tiempo and had the best empanadas of the entire trip from https://goo.gl/maps/aWDzdzoWybk. I loved that region.

There are direct flights between Salta->Iguazu, but only on some days and only one flight per day. This actually messed up plans a bit since our flight got cancelled due to high winds (it's a tiny plane since it's all just tourists). So had to re-route through BA and then to Iguazu. It all worked out and was able to push back hotel rooms by a day, but just be aware it can be a risk.

As for the Falls, you can easily do it with a 2 night stay. So arrive and get settled on the first day. See the Argentina side the next day, which will take all day. You can take a public bus directly to the park, no need to rent a car at all. Then on the final day, go the Brazil side which can easily be seen in under 2 hours. We even had time to go to the bird park which was pretty neat. Then fly out in the afternoon from the Argentina side. We hired a driver for the day to get to Brazil, I think it was like $30USD but you could also do it by bus. Also if you're American you need to get a visa ahead of time for Brazil, but they recently made it MUCH cheaper and faster back in January, so it's only $40 and only took a day to get after applying online. You print out a form and show it at the border. If you're from the UK then it's free and no visa needed.

For BA, stay in Palermo. And try to see something in Teatro Colón, it's absolutely gorgeous. You'll have a blast, it was one of my all time favorite places I've been.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

Bumping this thread, based on airplane ticket prices we've finally decided to go to Colombia in March :toot:

We'll be flying in and out of Bogota, and we'll surely do the Bogota-Santander-Cartagena-Medellin(-Popayan-)Bogota loop. Any recommendations along the road or in the big cities, based on what I wrote above? Something in particular to watch out for, both positive or negative? Thanks in advance!

I hope you are flying some of those transitions because otherwise you are going to be spending alot of time on busses. Colombia has nice busses but still. For example Tunja to San Gil which is around 180 km took around 5- 6 hours by bus with stops last time I did it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Water Resistant posted:

I literally did this itinerary back in June, except I did Salta first. I thought it went really well and think you have the right idea.
Super reassuring, thank you! Looks like a plan is solidifying!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Driving in Argentina is IMO easy enough if you take it real easy and don't let other driver's lovely driving push you into making dumb mistakes.

In places like Salta in particular you'll find that people will just kind of barge into the road, not stop at intersections, maybe treat the ocasional stoplight as optional. If you drive defensively it'll be annoying but ultimately harmless. Driving aggressively means someone will crash into you.

Bear in mind that,

a) car rental is fairly expensive in comparison with the US (or even Brazil).

b) going for the cheapest option will result in you getting a real lovely car (i'm talking crank windows, no ABS, maybe no airbags). Rent from a big name company that will take credit cards so you can charge back any bullshit they try to tack on after returning the car.

c) it will 99% be manual transmission so make sure you're comfortable with that

d) National Roads are almost all two-lane with oncoming traffic so if you're just used to interstate driving maybe give it a pass.

e) if you get into a accident you're not guaranteed to run into someone that speaks English.

f) there's non-trivial chance that some local cop will try to shake you down for money on some bullshit traffic stop. If that happens don't get mad or offended or get in a fight. Gauge the situation if you feel comfortable offering them some money have like a $500 peso bill ready they will take it as long as you don't open your wallet and have dollar bills in plain sight. If you're super not comfortable with that just eat the ticket, they might try and pretend they're going to have to impound your car or something like that but they won't, they might not even issue the ticket.

g) don't blindly follow your GPS. If some road seems to go through some sketchy area backtrack a bit, take a look at the map and see if you can just stick to the Rutas Nacionales, even if it adds some time.

With all those caveats, there's some fantastic sights out there and I have real good memories of driving up there and I personally loving hate getting into those hotel vans that show you around.

Cafayate is wine country so if you go to the bodegas and some wine tasting don't you motherfucking drink and drive. To that I add, everyone who's doing the wine tasting with you will 100% drink a shitload of wine and drive so maybe give the cars that leave at the same time as you some space.

DON'T DRIVE IN BUENOS AIRES, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would not drive from BA to Iguazu, having done that trip before. Imagine driving Dallas to Los Angeles, through all that desert, but it's pancake flat, with no Grand canyon halfway. I was hopped up on amusing yet questionable pharmacuticals for most of the ride and still found it to be unbearably boring. Fly.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The only legit interesting driving in Argentina is Route 40 and anything that goes up mountains. Everything else is just staring at the horizon hoping not to fall asleep at the wheel.

I haven’t done The Desert Route (connects BA with Patagonia) but people claim to legit have driven hundreds of miles with no recollection of most of it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I believe it.

It was mildly interesting seeing where the maté trees grow... For the first six hours.

Argentina has a lot of flat and brown in between the interesting bits. Avoid.

I did it by bus because I was unemployed and poor at the time, but given that the bus ticket was $30 and the plane ticket was $90, I thin that I would have gotten $60 worth of extra vacation by flying, and enjoying my time anywhere but the flat and brown bits.

gently caress, I loved Buenos Aires, though. loving great city. Paris of South America all the way.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Stanky Bean posted:

I hope you are flying some of those transitions because otherwise you are going to be spending alot of time on busses. Colombia has nice busses but still. For example Tunja to San Gil which is around 180 km took around 5- 6 hours by bus with stops last time I did it.

Yeah we'll have to look at flights between the 3 big cities (Bogota, Cartagena & Medellin), we've already had the pleasure of loooong bus rides in Brazil. Any airline you'd recommend or avoid completely?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have zero interest in driving and there are flights between a three places that slot together into a comfortable:

4 days BA
2 days Iguazu
3 days Salta

So I think that's the way round we'll go. Starting to look into hotels and day trips, this is getting exciting! Keep those "this is unmissable" suggestions coming please!

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I'd recommend eating a lot of pizza and ice cream besides all the meat you already plan to eat. Go to some of the classic pizzerias like El Palacio de la pizza, Las Cuartetas, Güerrin or El Cuartito. All look stuck in the 70's but it's part of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Has anyone been to San Blas and have specific thoughts about it? Thinking about going there for 3 days in Feb and weighing renting a boat, which is like $1000/day, or staying on huts on an island. Either way the cost is split 4 ways so the money isn’t a massive concern but I’d definitely want it to be “worth it”. It sounds like some of the islands are pretty dirty with plastic trash based on TripAdvisor reviews which a boat would avoid, but not sure how much of an issue that is.

I’ve been to Bocas before and loved it but Bastimentos is way too far for me to want to do for a 3 day trip from Panama City. Pearl Islands seem like they don’t have much going on either?