Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pinterest Mom posted:

He won a single state *delegate*, not a single precinct. That means that there was one (1) place where, after the second round, he received the support of 15% of precinct attendees.

No, he won 0 delegates and 1 precinct.

The delegate column is the far right column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I know how to read, thanks.

He won one state delegate at precinct convention, where delegates are elected proportionally in a two-round system with a 15% cutoff in the second round. That one delegate made their way to the state convention, where they were not numerous enough to elect a national delegate. This is the process in Iowa and in every single other caucus state in the country, I don't know where you got the idea that the "votes" column is somehow indicating first-place result.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pinterest Mom posted:

I know how to read, thanks.

He won one state delegate at precinct convention, where delegates are elected proportionally in a two-round system with a 15% cutoff in the second round. That one delegate made their way to the state convention, where they were not numerous enough to elect a national delegate. This is the process in Iowa and in every single other caucus state in the country, I don't know where you got the idea that the "votes" column is somehow indicating first-place result.

I wasn't saying that he came in first place. I was saying that he won a precinct (in the caucus sense of meeting the threshold) and that he received more than 1 actual vote from voters.

This was all despite moving to Iowa for 2 years, sending his kids to Iowa public schools, and basically going bankrupt by paying for a house in Connecticut, rent in DC, and a house in Iowa.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't even get the obsession with Iowa, it's not like winning Iowa just because it's first is very predictive of getting the nomination in a crowded field.

Looking at the last few Republican primaries:
2016 - Ted Cruz
2012 - Rick Santorum
2008 - Mike Huckabee
2000 - George W Bush
1 in 4 :toot:

For Democrats Iowa has picked the winner every time since 1996 so maybe the media attention from winning Iowa is helpful for Democrats, or maybe it's just a consequence of that candidate being more charismatic and/or well known. Idk it seems to me pandering to Iowa specifically to try to win there is just cargo-culting it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

I don't even get the obsession with Iowa, it's not like winning Iowa just because it's first is very predictive of getting the nomination in a crowded field.

Looking at the last few Republican primaries:
2016 - Ted Cruz
2012 - Rick Santorum
2008 - Mike Huckabee
2000 - George W Bush
1 in 4 :toot:

For Democrats Iowa has picked the winner every time since 1996 so maybe the media attention from winning Iowa is helpful for Democrats, or maybe it's just a consequence of that candidate being more charismatic and/or well known. Idk it seems to me pandering to Iowa specifically to try to win there is just cargo-culting it.

It's important because Iowa is the first winnowing of the field. If you are a 2nd tier candidate and you bomb in Iowa, then you are done. It's your chance to break out, change the narrative, raise a lot of money, and gain momentum in the time between Iowa and NH.

Even the "losers" in the Republican scenario benefited massively from winning Iowa. Is there a world where Rick Santorum wins a dozen states, gets #2 in the popular vote, raises millions of dollars, gets endorsements from dozens of elected officials, and spends 5 months in the headlines where he also came in last in Iowa?

It's less important if you are a "major" candidate or already have lots of name recognition, volunteers, and money.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 9, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The last few sets of Dem primaries have had 2, 4, 3, 1 and 2 serious candidates. In that timeframe, the GOP has had multiple primaries with over 10 each.

In 2020 the Dems could easily start with 25. Iowa/NH won't totally control the field but there will be less than 5 of them left standing afterwards. That's a big deal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even the "losers" in the Republican scenario benefited massively from winning Iowa. Is there a world where Rick Santorum wins a dozen states, gets #2 in the popular vote, raises millions of dollars, gets endorsements from dozens of elected officials, and spends 5 months in the headlines where he also came in last in Iowa?.

I have no idea, because I don't know whether winning Iowa caused him to get that support, or whether the strengths he had as a candidate were the reason he got that support and also why he was able to win in Iowa.

Newt Gingrich got owned in Iowa (4th place), but that didn't stop him from winning states, raising millions of dollars, and getting endorsements.

I think it's very tough to say that winning Iowa actually causes you to do better, rather than you win Iowa because you are the kind of candidate who would do well anyway. If Michelle Bachman had a one-use alien mind-control device that allowed her to undetectably Jedi mind-meld the entire state of Iowa into voting for her, would old crazy-eyes have gone on to win a dozen states just because "hey who am I to argue with Iowa"?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 9, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

ostensibly the idea is you prove you can connect with salt of the earth dullards and it's relatively cheap to campaign there

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

not a cult posted:

Not everyone, but you definitely are.

I know, I'm disagreeing with you.

I mean I'm not in any way but I understand how you need to frame this.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I know, I'm disagreeing with you.

I mean I'm not in any way but I understand how you need to frame this.

All the framing I need is a click to your post history.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

not a cult posted:

That's enough you two.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^ same time post, sorry

not a cult posted:

I know, because I don't agree with you. That doesn't make me a liberal.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

That's enough you two.

Okeydoke

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1061002106088419333

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Christ almighty every mediocre CEO is gonna run for President in 2020, aren't they? Fuckers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Christ almighty every mediocre CEO is gonna run for President in 2020, aren't they? Fuckers.

Well, you never know, maybe it's possible he'll come up with a platform that really inspires the Democratic base, and

quote:

In an interview with CNBC in June, Schultz went on the offensive and said Democrats need to be careful with how far they veer to the left.

"It concerns me that so many voices within the Democratic Party are going so far to the left," Schultz said. "I say to myself, 'How are we going to pay for these things,' in terms of things like single payer [and] people espousing the fact that the government is going to give everyone a job. I don't think that's realistic."

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
please refer to him as alt-universe hillary clinton's secretary of labor, thanks

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

Well, you never know, maybe it's possible he'll come up with a platform that really inspires the Democratic base, and

"Hi I'm rich, and let me tell you about my plan to cut my taxes" v.947

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j276kgs2SU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

DaveWoo posted:

The how will we pay for it poo poo is so infuriating especially when it comes to health care. If one looks at just government spending on health care per capita across OECD countries the US already spends more. Just the portion the government pays. Once you add in private spending per capita our totals get to the about double of other OECD countries.

So the US government already spends more than countries do that have single payer. And while I don't trust Congress to craft a plan to actually rein in costs it should be pretty obvious we can already afford it. The problem is absolutely not money and is all about preserving profit. That's before even getting into the fact that we control our own currency and the world uses it as a reserve currency so even if the government had to cover the private costs too it would be trivial to do so.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Cool; the more succ-dems the merrier better are bernie's chances.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Even Bloomberg has to have more pull than the Starbucks guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Starbucks guy is good demonstration of how detached from the rest of the country the wealthy are in their bubbles. Like, anyone with any exposure to other non-rich people wouldn't think for a second that someone like Schultz would have broad appeal.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
There is going to be an absolute clown car of center-right candidates in 2020. It will be funny if all the billionaires get shepherded off to some weaksauce kid's table debate.

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 10, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Imagine Bernie wiping the floor with Howard Schultz in a debate.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Imagine Bernie wiping the floor with Howard Schultz in a debate.

imagine bernie physically scrubbing the floor with howard schultz's face :flashfap:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Imagine Bernie being talked over by Avenatti and losing the primary.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ostensibly the idea is you prove you can connect with salt of the earth dullards and it's relatively cheap to campaign there

To put a little bit of a nicer coat on this, Iowa is a good test of a candidate's ability to generate grassroots enthusiasm and by virtue of having a ton of different media markets covering very few people, is comparatively more difficult to astroturf.

The nature of their caucus and how retail politicking is rewarded in the state makes it friendly to underfunded but energetic candidates, so if a candidate can't win over voters there, and hasn't been able to fundraise big for later contests, it gives everyone cover to ignore them going forward.

Iowa may not be particularly relevant regarding who wins, but it is very relevant for who does not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Imagine Bernie being talked over by Avenatti and losing the primary.

Yeah, I doubt Avenatti is going to last long. It’s pretty easy to pick out how fake he is with a second’s thought. He’s a joke.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, I doubt Avenatti is going to last long. It’s pretty easy to pick out how fake he is with a second’s thought. He’s a joke.

I also don't think Avenatti would so easily walk over Bernie, or Joe Biden. Few things are more obstinate than old white men who feel like someone is talking out of turn.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Taintrunner posted:

Where have I heard this before...? There was this guy, Ronald Lump or something? Yeah, total clown, everyone here liked to joke about him. It's good the voters saw right through him, and he lost his parties nomination, like the transparently self-interested reality tv star he is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Where have I heard this before...? There was this guy, Ronald Lump or something? Yeah, total clown, everyone here liked to joke about him. It's good the voters saw right through him, and he lost his parties nomination, like the transparently self-interested reality tv star he is.

I don't think this is a very good analogy, because Donald Trump had the benefit of being willing to be openly, publicly racist, and a Republican primary electorate that wanted to lap that poo poo up. Democratic primary voters want different things and though Avenatti is good at shittalking on Twitter, he doesn't have anything to offer them in terms of policy or services. He'll get up on a debate stage and try to act like a tough guy and then say something gross to one of the women and the entire Democratic electorate will scoff at him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There was an article about him, the one where he said that the next candidate had to be a white guy. People focused on that line, but there was a way more revealing quote in there, imo. Avenatti said that people had been talking about him running for a long time, and he had just started to think that maybe the situation required it. "A long time" Nobody had heard of the dude three months ago. He's suffering from the same time dilation everyone else is, but in his case it's hyper-accelerating his Messiah Complex.

I don't think how well Avenatti will do in the primaries is the question. The question is, will Avenatti even get to the primaries? I fully expect by like, July 2019 he'll have moved to a compound in Guyana or sailed a yacht called "Future President-for-Life" directly into a hurricane in some confident attempt to own Trump.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
trump is the id of conservatism, Avanatti is just a dumb gently caress grifter

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Eh, I've read people on these forums that fell for his messaging before.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Eh, I've read people on these forums that fell for his messaging before.

While you have successfully proven that goons are very dumb, the average voter is not extremely online in the way most of us are. They probably won't see Avenatti as some badass, he'll just be another douchey white guy that thinks he's god's gift to women the Democratic Party. We've all known somebody like Michael Avenatti in our lives. Nobody likes that kind of guy. He's only funny because his opposition is one of the most garbage human beings to stink up the planet in recent memory.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Avenatti doesn't really have much to offer people. The Decorum fetishists won't vote for him because he's too rude, and the leftists will prefer Bernie. Avenatti's demographic is a very narrow overlap of never-Bernie white people who call Trump "Cheeto in Chief"

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I don't know, the "I will fight for you!" messaging can resonate with people in the current political environment. Especially if the rest of the field consists of establishment candidates mealy-mouthed "bipartinsanship" and "both sides" platitudes and a single old man still believing in decorum with a laser focus on a couple of strong economic issues and like three speeches total he keeps playing on loop.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I don't know, the "I will fight for you!" messaging can resonate with people in the current political environment. Especially if the rest of the field consists of establishment candidates mealy-mouthed "bipartinsanship" and "both sides" platitudes and a single old man still believing in decorum with a laser focus on a couple of strong economic issues and like three speeches total he keeps playing on loop.

Ok when you put it this way I'm a little bit worried but I still think Avenatti is too manifestly slimy to get traction with the Democratic base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Reading the Avenatti toxx thread in C-SPAM can give an early insight into this. Sure, it's all "ironic", but we all know how that ends up.