Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://twitter.com/realNikandros/status/1060985617260183552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Akumos posted:

Twitter clarified PC players do not need to reinstall.

just need to install a 54gb day one patch

https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1061047683475881984

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Doesn't say anything about PC. According to their official twitter our update is "small"

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1060972833776586752

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

If fallout 76 fixes gamebryo then it is the greatest game Bethesda put out

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Turns out Fallout 76 is just one gigantic file so you can't ever modify or patch it - it needs to be removed and replaced every time they change something. Hope you don't have a metered connection!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Every patch is going to be gigantic for this game isn't it? I remember someone saying it having to do with Bethesda requiring you to redownload entire archives of data to change, say, one texture. I don't know if that's incompetence or a difficulty of their engine (which I guess is also incompetence) but as long as pip boy is in the game it should be fine

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Every patch is going to be gigantic for this game isn't it? I remember someone saying it having to do with Bethesda requiring you to redownload entire archives of data to change, say, one texture. I don't know if that's incompetence or a difficulty of their engine (which I guess is also incompetence) but as long as pip boy is in the game it should be fine

That was Tei or Spacedad.

Yeah this is completely nuts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s incompetence.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Suddenly Bethesdas complaints about steam and PlayStation have a new context. Bethesda has always had an issue with how they handle patching, perhaps it's because they're so incompetent at patching at their own games? Despite the fact modders seem to manage it.

I genuinely think the team at Bethesda has very little technical knowledge at all. Probably about as much as I do, which is none, but I'm not making games so

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Curious thing about the beta on PlayStation. The initial download was something like 95GB, but before deleting I checked and the file size was 56 or so GB, in line with the other versions.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Curious thing about the beta on PlayStation. The initial download was something like 95GB, but before deleting I checked and the file size was 56 or so GB, in line with the other versions.

The beta patch fixed the file size. So in a total of 3 weeks PS4 users have had to download 250GB for Fallout 76.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
The game has disappeared from my Bethesda launcher and I am now being asked to preorder. This is odd and a bit irritating. I'm not alone. I saw a post on the Bethesda forums about it. While I was there I saw a post complaining that the Power Armor edition isn't what they expected.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/262675/fallout-76-power-armor-helmet-unboxing-and-upsetting/19

Starting to get a bit worried.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

The beta patch fixed the file size. So in a total of 3 weeks PS4 users have had to download 250GB for Fallout 76.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The game has disappeared from my Bethesda launcher and I am now being asked to preorder. This is odd and a bit irritating. I'm not alone. I saw a post on the Bethesda forums about it. While I was there I saw a post complaining that the Power Armor edition isn't what they expected.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/262675/fallout-76-power-armor-helmet-unboxing-and-upsetting/19

:bethesda:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

quote:

Sadishist
Maybe that's the way it is made in the Fallout world?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When collecting, not drinking, river water I noticed I was taking rads (I wasn't touching the water, the rad counter only popped up during collection). Was that a bug, or a bizarre design decision?

E:i guess realistically it'd be hard to fill a bottle of water without touching the stream.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

When collecting, not drinking, river water I noticed I was taking rads (I wasn't touching the water, the rad counter only popped up during collection). Was that a bug, or a bizarre design decision?

Seems to be design. We take rads from swimming it in so it makes a bit of sense.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't check, do you need an empty bottle to collect water? You did in 4.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rinkles posted:

Didn't check, do you need an empty bottle to collect water? You did in 4.

no, although empty beer bottles are used to make molotovs so they're worth scrounging up and not scrapping for glass.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Donovan Trip posted:

The majority of the game data is stored in fairly large archives.

Seem unlikely that Bethesda would extract, patch and re-archive individual assets within these archives client side. Easiest approach would just be to compare checksums or something of the archives themselves and resend the whole thing.

Will be easy to tell when they start pushing updates, especially for stuff in the Atom store. Those ATX_ archives contain the Atom store assets so that'll be like 1.6GB (growing over time) re-downloaded each time they add new stuff there.

Or who knows, they might improve the Bethesda launcher to include the tooling to do archive patching and save all the poor souls on metered connections...

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Donovan Trip posted:

Suddenly Bethesdas complaints about steam and PlayStation have a new context. Bethesda has always had an issue with how they handle patching, perhaps it's because they're so incompetent at patching at their own games? Despite the fact modders seem to manage it.

I genuinely think the team at Bethesda has very little technical knowledge at all. Probably about as much as I do, which is none, but I'm not making games so

Honestly, patching a game on Steam is as easy as replacing the files and running a batch file. There's no real validation processes, no cost, no delay, nothing. So that part, at least, can definitely be attributed to raw incompetence.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

quote:

I'd say scrap the helmet but you only get 2 plastic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yo beta players how bad is this game

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
If you preordered from Bethesda your preorder was listed as "BETA" under purchases on their website so they might be converting your account to the full game before release, which is why the launcher might not show it, they might be revoking the old beta accounts.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I was really hoping they would do the typical Bethesda screw-up and I'd have access to the live game even though I cancelled my pre-order. I'm hoping I at least don't lose progress if I decide to purchase again, but I guess it wouldn't be the biggest deal now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Since the website doesn't seem to specify it, I'd like to check here. Would one need a Playstation plus account even to just play single player offline? Or is this game just unusable offline?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://puu.sh/BYPkp/43b4322e83.ini
https://puu.sh/BYPkq/77c6a2be3d.ini
https://puu.sh/BYPks/d61e8db518.ini

For anyone too lazy to edit configs, these are my modified ones that go into my docs/my games/fallout 76. Removes all blur, lens flare, sets fov to 100, fixes mouse lag, makes mouse vert and horz equal. I'm on 2560x1440p so you might need to edit that in prefs, it might be set to read only or not, not sure how downloading it works.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Drashin posted:

The Enclave Vault sells the plans for about 1000 caps. However, you have to do the quests to get access to it. They start at the abandoned waste dump location on the bank of the farthest east river on the map. If you need a picture it is on the discord in the intel channel.

Basically go to the abandoned waste dump, then...

1.Go into the cave and kill 2-3 death-claws...
2.Search around the cave for a body and...
3. (depending on how many people are with you), several death-claw nests, for some goodies and a holo-tape, then...
4. Enter the "bunker" and solve a series of riddles and puzzles within that location, then you get sent to...
4. The Enclave Vault and talk to some npc's, who before accepting you into their embrace send you on a mission to prove your loyalty to a place called Sugar Grove...
5. When you get to Sugar Grove, you get to kill a badass robot, that can obliterate you with her laser in 2-3 shots, so after you dispose of her...
6. You get a tape from a terminal and then you haul your rear end back to the Enclave Bunker and turn in the tape and finish the quest.

Then after you do all that, you are officially a part of the Free States Enclave and get a shiny new Laser Gatling Mini Gun

You are welcome.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Werix posted:

So a question out of nowhere since I haven't seen it on any videos and I didn't do the beta due to scheduling.

Does the game still have landmines, and if so how do they work with other players? Like if you use one can anyone set them off, even allies? Or will only players you've entered into PVP with setting them off?

The game has landmines. You get a warning with a blinking red "landmine" icon and a beeping noise... they will blow up on you if you dont get out of the way...

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

SwitchbladeKult posted:

You weren't worried when they explained no npc's or the camp system or the pvp or literally any facet of this game? Lol.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Good Listener posted:

Since the website doesn't seem to specify it, I'd like to check here. Would one need a Playstation plus account even to just play single player offline? Or is this game just unusable offline?

I wasn’t able to run the beta without first signing up for PS Plus.

Also, interested in creating a group or at least adding gamertags for future reference? I keep asking here but not getting any response.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The game has disappeared from my Bethesda launcher and I am now being asked to preorder. This is odd and a bit irritating.

It is a bit irritating. I wanted to move the game data to a different SSD from within the launcher so that everything stays kosher.
Obviously I can't.
That's when I came here to see if anyone was talking about it. I suppose I can just move it manually but it's probably a moot point if the launch "patch" is going to be that large.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Good Listener posted:

You can never play offline lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm sure this has been asked already but will there be a way to re-roll your SPECIAL points later on in the game?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So putting aside the doom and gloom from fanboys nerd rage, what's the option of people who actually played it? is it mostly being played as a co-op fallout loot hoarding simulator with a new environment to explore or is there a lot of PvP to be had when you come across other groups? has anyone come across obvious cheaters or is it largely overblown?

Or is this something best to ask in a couple weeks when major patches have come out?

For the record, I've been playing on all the beta's for PC since October 30th, mostly grouped with other goons...

My experience so far has been pretty enjoyable. The beta had some bugs, some glitches, some annoyances and, some disconnects, but overall everything expected from a beta.

The world is huge and Bethesda makes it pretty sparse by only allowing 20 players per world, so it is very rare to bump into somebody while exploring (outside of anyone you are grouped with) and in the map, you can see where other players are located. During the beta, nobody I came across dicked around with us maliciously, dunno if it was because they were pretty deep in the exploration aspect of the game or they didn't want to pick a fight with 4 dudes with Laser Rifles and power armors...

At some point, we raided a depot and the pvp mechanics had some broken mechanisms, to the point we didnt really pursue pvp, but I'm pretty sure during launch, we are going to expand into that theater a lot more.

1. You can do the main quest and every other side quest around.... or
2. You can do whatever you want but the main quest... without following any order...

We opted for #2 and did quite a lot of it. I got to almost lvl 20 (I'm 19.7 give or take), just exploring the map around and dicking around areas we shouldn't be at the level we were, but with most overall fun...

As far as cheating or cheaters we didn't come across any... A lot of the "exploits" that some people claimed to have were largely overblown in proportions... I am sure once the Chinese hit this game, that we might see something or the other, but we figured out that if 19 goons join the world of another goon we basically take over the server and no one outside of us will be in it, while that might not be super fun, it does clear the issues with cheaters (unless the goons are cheating, which is quite possible they try to pull something like that off) but other than that thought, we didn't experience anything like that...

We covered quite a large amount of territory, came across some territories that would have been actual suicide to cross at the level we were in, and in some cases, we dodged the whole thing and went other places...

Playing by yourself is challenging, like stupid difficult, and some quests can't be completed unless you have hacking and/or lockpicking at lvl 3 so if you don't have those skills you will need a group. Playing with a group of friends or goons is a shitload of fun, the level of goonfuckery that can get attained is quite impressive if that's your thing and if not, just playing with your good group of friends is also good and fun... although If you are a goon you probably don't have any friends...

The biggest peeves are larger stash, and PTT within the game engine... we were able to play with larger groups of goons by using Team chat, and discord to level comms to other groups roaming around with us... so if they added PTT in game with another patch then that's great, but these patches are not going to make deal breakers go away because we didn't come across any deal breaker issues.

Lastly, the lack of human NPC's is really not a big deal. The main reason, being that since this game is a prequel, to all other fallout games including canon FO1 & 2, the humans out of Vault 76 are the first to roam this part of the land, it is easily understandable and possible to think that as the world expands from this point of view there might be human NPC's added later on to show the population of the area has grown...

The stash being at 400 is small, it should be a lot more, the reason you accumulate so much is so that you can craft your own weapons and armor and gear. Scrap everything you find so you can build better mods for all your gear... and are able to build (if you have the plans) better workbenches and stuff for your CAMP.

When someone deploys a CAMP everyone can pitch in their workbenches and these can be stored in the form of a blueprint so you can deploy your camp with everything (you know how to build) on it. But if you build a CAMP and other people put workbenches on it, then only the ones you craft are able to be blueprinted.

This being said, I really didn't miss the human blabbering npc's of other fallout games... the robots, and computers and holo tapes that leave information behind do a good job of conveying that information, and the rest of the players running around cover the emptiness of the world pretty well.

TL;DR the game was fun for me, and other goons that have gathered under the Brotherhood of Goon discord (https://discord.gg/yvphVSg) and I can't wait till the game comes out next week. You can also check more info on the BoG thread in SA: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872562&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post489218930

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 10, 2018

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Alan Smithee posted:

yo beta players how bad is this game

I thought the gameplay was really fun (I even liked the real time VATS) but the lack of NPCs makes it feel pretty empty despite the occasional person you run into. It's more fun with friends, but it still feels like a large part of the game is just wandering through ruins that ultimately have no purpose or even interesting loot. I don't regret pre-ordering it because I really do enjoy wandering around shooting ghouls and junk, but I wish they'd just made a regular fallout game that had coop instead of this.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure this has been asked already but will there be a way to re-roll your SPECIAL points later on in the game?

No. Once your points are set, they are set... up till now there hasn't been any word on rerolling SPECIAL. It could change in the future but it has never been presented.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Akumos posted:

Doesn't say anything about PC. According to their official twitter our update is "small"

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1060972833776586752

My theory is that "large patch sizes" are caused by Sony and Microsoft not being able to provide a update system that is smart enough to understand whatever packaging game devs do in consoles. I don't attribute it to incompetence, it could be something else.

Maybe is a thing Sony and Microsoft will address on the next generation of consoles.

Having to do a separate install instead of reusing the same install or "icon", is some "megacorporation ineptitude to flex their systems for usability sake". When your budget is bigger than many small countries your company is full of rotten bureaucracy practices, and the company expect others to adapt to their.
Having to make a separate install is uncomfortable for users, but having to reuse the same SKU would have been uncomfortable for hundreds of bureaucrats inside these large companies. The bureaucrats needs win every time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tei posted:

I don't attribute it to incompetence, it could be something else.

It's a bold strategy cotton, let's see if it pays off.

Reminder that everything is unencrypted and client-side on PC.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Powershift posted:

Well, yea.

I should not have deleted my BETA install. I feel some irrational remorse there just in case this is the first phase of yet another epic fail.

Game is fun, the hilarious bugs are hilarious if they dont' get in the way, and hopefully we will find some exploitable one to have billions of XP or billions of caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Powershift posted:

I don't think everything is client-side, seems like loot still has to be loaded from servers on containers and vendors but not 100% sure how that works. Would be curious to know if shooting players is client side, if it is people can just intentionally d/c themselves, shoot someone 10 times, then reconnect and they would die.