Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gripweed posted:

The best part of Rogue One is that it established that the flaw in the Death Star was intentional sabotage. In the original, the exhaust port was the only weak spot, and to attack it was a desperate gamble. A shot that experienced pilots thought was impossible, and in the end required literal magic to pull off. But after decades of "Why didn't they just put a grate over it?!" Cinema Sins morons, Disney decided that it had to have been an intentionally designed secret Achilles heel. Mads Mikkelson engineered a flaw that wouldn't have been a flaw at all if the Rebellion hadn't had a literal secret wizard flying one of their X-Wings.

I was assuming that the intentional flaw was the 'if you explode a tiny explosive in the engine core of a loving MOON the entire thing chain-reacts to death', and he was assuming that the method of delivery would be land and carry it in' rather than 'one in a billion shot from a snubfighter', personally.

I'd be reasonably cool with no more anthology movies if we get TV series instead. At least, if I can actually watch them without buying additional streaming services.

I think SW lends itself better to TV anyway, in these days of movies needing to be tentpole blockbuster franchises with endlessly marketable etc, and TV having a bit more room for actual creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Safety Factor posted:

The Heresy is set apart by the fact that it

...was the setting of the original Adeptus Titanicus? :D

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

I was assuming that the intentional flaw was the 'if you explode a tiny explosive in the engine core of a loving MOON the entire thing chain-reacts to death', and he was assuming that the method of delivery would be land and carry it in' rather than 'one in a billion shot from a snubfighter', personally.

I'd be reasonably cool with no more anthology movies if we get TV series instead. At least, if I can actually watch them without buying additional streaming services.

I think SW lends itself better to TV anyway, in these days of movies needing to be tentpole blockbuster franchises with endlessly marketable etc, and TV having a bit more room for actual creativity.

I don't see the appeal of any more Star Wars in any format. There were three good movies, and then seven bad ones. And hundreds of sub-BL quality books and comics. If we must have more Star Wars, I guess the franchise does OK with video games, so more video games could be good. But clearly, it's not a very good setting for narrative fiction.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Gripweed posted:

There were three good movies, and then seven bad ones.

See, I don't really super love the new star wars movies but when I see this opinion I just laugh at the people papering over return of the jedi like it's automatically better than any of the other ones that have been made.

People were just as upset when that came out. loving ewoks? another death star? Really?

Sounds like the same things people hate about the new new ones. Another death star and porgs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

General Olloth posted:

See, I don't really super love the new star wars movies but when I see this opinion I just laugh at the people papering over return of the jedi like it's automatically better than any of the other ones that have been made.

People were just as upset when that came out. loving ewoks? another death star? Really?

Sounds like the same things people hate about the new new ones. Another death star and porgs.

I was trying to be generous and also avoid a RotJ debate, but yeah, the franchise was already getting shaky by the third movie

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I was trying to be generous and also avoid a RotJ debate, but yeah, the franchise was already getting shaky by the third movie

Fair enough. You can't avoid debating star wars I've found it happens whether you want it to or not.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Are the Legion minis still horrible?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Boba Fett actually looks great but I haven't seen any of the other newer sculpts.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Having to have rules and set lore for literally everything thats even slightly mentioned is why you have action figures of Willrow Hood.

Some mysteries are better as mysteries, and lose everything interesting about them once someone starts to dive in and explain it.

Can I also add to this by saying that the narrowing and somewhat elimination of the gap between models and artwork is really hurting current 40k.

Telling your artists that they have to make sure they only put available models in their artwork prevents them from doing half of their job. The art is meant to go beyond what you can realistically see on the tabletop and show you aspects of the universe beyond the game itself.

Unfortunately, due to GW's Apple-style brand consolidation, I doubt we'll ever see anything like this ever again out of their art team:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This is now an old Warhammer art thread:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Endman posted:

Unfortunately, due to GW's Apple-style brand consolidation, I doubt we'll ever see anything like this ever again out of their art team:

GW recently put out a deck of playing cards with John Blanche art just like this.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Dark-Millennium-Playing-Cards-2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Having to have rules and set lore for literally everything thats even slightly mentioned is why you have action figures of Willrow Hood.

Some mysteries are better as mysteries, and lose everything interesting about them once someone starts to dive in and explain it.

There's nothing mysterious about the Men of Iron. They were sentient robots. The end. They weren't all particularly great robots, as we know because some of them were mass produced [Finding a machine that churns them out was a....Cain or Gaunt novel, I forget which] and they aren't striding the universe as unquestioned machine gods. They got their poo poo packed in, same as anything else. That being said, a mass produced army where something like UR was the grunt would be devastating. He has a massive gun, big claw, and self heals. And he's the "Just a dude" level robbit mans. He's not like the God Emperor of Robots. He's a grunt. A really, really good grunt.

Were you to take him in an Imperial army it's effectively 1 CP to have a self-repairing heavy weapon with good saves. It's also cool as gently caress, which is the more important part, and the reason that GW was able to turn it around as a company. They did a lot of things that are just cool and fun and interesting.

It is never, ever, ever the wrong decision to let players do more fun things in their games. Ever.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I don't see the appeal of any more Star Wars in any format. There were three good movies, and then seven bad ones. And hundreds of sub-BL quality books and comics. If we must have more Star Wars, I guess the franchise does OK with video games, so more video games could be good. But clearly, it's not a very good setting for narrative fiction.

Hell yeah give me another Jedi Knight game, Outcast is the best star wars game ever made. Fight me

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just want another proper Knights of the Old Republic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You might be in luck some day, there are rumours EA wants to shut down TOR

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It lasted a surprisingly long time considering that MMOs were already in decline while it was still in development.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I actually quite enjoyed TOR for what it was. I paid absolutely 0 money for it though

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
TOR was merely okay to decent when it came out. I went back to try it later because it was fairly fun as a Star Wars RPG, but good lord did they make the microtransaction side obnoxious when it went free to play. I played korean f2p MMOs that were trying to get into your pockets at every moment less.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember FFG's deck building game where instead of building decks you just got one procedural RNGed that you are never, ever allowed to modify even slightly?

They're pre-preemptively taking away even the fun of lucking into a procedurally generated deck name (printed on the card backs) that's a little racy, by pre-emptively banning them when they make it to print and making you return them:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/9/archon-names/

lol

:smoobles:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Not gonna lie, I would play it if I could get 'Weedlord Bonerhitler' deck

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Yeah big WTF at that.

If you are lucky enough to get a Cumlords deck you should be allowed to use it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

StuG Jeebus posted:

s a m e

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah sure, I'm gonna return my one of a kind forbidden bonerhitler deck. Maybe I can use these misprinted stamps i found in grandpas album to mail it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

StuG Jeebus posted:

Would pay 69 dollars for one

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

darnon posted:

TOR was merely okay to decent when it came out. I went back to try it later because it was fairly fun as a Star Wars RPG, but good lord did they make the microtransaction side obnoxious when it went free to play. I played korean f2p MMOs that were trying to get into your pockets at every moment less.

poo poo yeah I remember they charged you for extra ability bars lmao

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Endman posted:

Can I also add to this by saying that the narrowing and somewhat elimination of the gap between models and artwork is really hurting current 40k.

Telling your artists that they have to make sure they only put available models in their artwork prevents them from doing half of their job. The art is meant to go beyond what you can realistically see on the tabletop and show you aspects of the universe beyond the game itself.

I literally saw a folder of crazy John Blanche art a couple of months ago that was turned into Rogue Trader. That was handed in September 2014.

So no, GW are going to keep doing crazy cool stuff and the flood gates on it opened when Kirby went.

But there's a lead time of a couple of years on every project.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They're also doing webcomics now featuring characters without models

Endman
May 18, 2010

Thundercloud posted:

I literally saw a folder of crazy John Blanche art a couple of months ago that was turned into Rogue Trader. That was handed in September 2014.

So no, GW are going to keep doing crazy cool stuff and the flood gates on it opened when Kirby went.

But there's a lead time of a couple of years on every project.

Making models out of old artwork isn’t the same as making new artwork that shows things outside of the model range, hth

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I'm the sweating skull

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It's important to introduce children to space fascism as young as possible

Endman
May 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

This definitely expands the breadth and depth of the horrifying murderfuture of Warhammer 40,000 and definitely is not a silly cartoon that undermines the relentlessly bleak atmosphere by constantly winking at the camera.

So wacky and fun lmao

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Endman posted:

This definitely expands the breadth and depth of the horrifying murderfuture of Warhammer 40,000 and definitely is not a silly cartoon that undermines the relentlessly bleak atmosphere by constantly winking at the camera.

So wacky and fun lmao
And speaking of classic 40k, 2nd edition was all relentlessly bleak and never tongue in cheek.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
40k started as a jokey murderfuture and LOL at wanting it to be super serious

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

neonchameleon posted:

And speaking of classic 40k, 2nd edition was all relentlessly bleak and never tongue in cheek.

I really enjoy when these guys get depicted with like, really German WWI hats and outfits, so they look like goofy wartime cartoons about the Kaiser. You can tell whoever drew them was having a blast.

Endman
May 18, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

I think you're confusing tongue in cheek with extremely rad. :colbert:

I'm right you're all wrong. :colbert:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

neonchameleon posted:

They watched Mad Max and thought "let's turn this poo poo up to 11".

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Endman posted:

So wacky and fun lmao

what's it like to be this much of a wet blanket

Endman
May 18, 2010

Corrode posted:

what's it like to be this much of a wet blanket

Look, nobody is allowed to have fun unless it's my particular kind of fun.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Please do no use the word "fun" in the Death Thread thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Nobody is allowed to have death unless it's my particular kind of death.