Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Khisanth Magus posted:

One funny story was that when we we're doing our training they had released a new version of all their stuff but hadn't updated the training videos at all for it. You were still supposed to watch all the videos of incorrect information, and then read PDFs with all the correct info and exercises. It was such a massive waste of time. They weren't going to update the training until their next release.

I had a boss who insisted on spending an hour to show 60 members of staff how to use the advanced features of Acrobat.

My issue was not that he spoke very poor English, nor that he didn't actually understand what he was demonstrating (a scan of a signature is not a 'digital signature')

Neither was it that 50 people in the room didn't need or want to use acrobat.

It was that the 9 people who did were 2 major versions behind him and so I had to act like one of those translators at the UN to help them go through the demo exercises despite all their menus being entirely different from his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've spent most of this week working with a phone system that's probably as old as I am. First day, travel to site, reboot out of hours like the tech on the phone say's. Test it when ti comes back up, all ok.

Next day, calls are being dropped, only landlines are working. Go around testing the wiring to convince the tech that yes, we're not loving idiots, come out and look at the board for me. While i'm doing this an ISDN line dies. Luckily i've got backup lines. Book in a visit for that too.

Wednesday, visit happens for the ISDN line but my pet is ill, book off a half day, go to the vet. Infection in her nose, poor girl. She's sniffing away.

Yesterday, spend the day with the tech going over the wiring again. Turns out its not the wire (no poo poo), but the power supply on the board is hosed and the wiring to the units is PoE, so its not providing enough power to more than one station.

Oh also the board is hosed and calls are starting to interfere with one another. That's kind of cool. New board gets delivered today. Whatever.

Sit down for a nice relaxing morning building a couple of PC's. Nope, turns out we only bought 1 and it doesn't loving work. Also 3 of the non IT things i've touched today have fallen apart in my hands.

Get me off of this weeks wild ride, please.

E: Also my pets eye is starting to swell and i'm super worried about her :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Server 2016 is pissing me off. Every server someone has logged into is showing Activate Windows Go to Settings to Activate Windows watermark in the lower right.

Activation says it's already activated and entering the key says it successfully activated but the message does not go away. Hosts are also doing this. (We have everything installed full GUI because not everyone is comfortable with powershell).

edit: The rule of complain about something on the internet and it goes away is still in play. All the watermarks vanished roughly at the same time. Nothing in event logs, and we were still in try and figure out what the hell was causing this mode (which is why I posted). If this happens to anyone else I guess wait it out?

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 9, 2018

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Wasn’t there an issue where a few million windows machines had their licenses downgraded from Pro to Home this week? It might be related to that, or the cleanup

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

duffmensch posted:

Wasn’t there an issue where a few million windows machines had their licenses downgraded from Pro to Home this week? It might be related to that, or the cleanup

It's Server 2016 datacenter licenses. I wasn't aware of the win10 downgrade issue though, so this could have been MS loving up fixing that. I at least feel comfortable with it fixing itself if it's likely to have been 100% on MS's side and out of my hands. It's not like anything stopped functioning.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 9, 2018

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

dogstile posted:

I've spent most of this week working with a phone system that's probably as old as I am. First day, travel to site, reboot out of hours like the tech on the phone say's. Test it when ti comes back up, all ok.

Next day, calls are being dropped, only landlines are working. Go around testing the wiring to convince the tech that yes, we're not loving idiots, come out and look at the board for me. While i'm doing this an ISDN line dies. Luckily i've got backup lines. Book in a visit for that too.

Wednesday, visit happens for the ISDN line but my pet is ill, book off a half day, go to the vet. Infection in her nose, poor girl. She's sniffing away.

Yesterday, spend the day with the tech going over the wiring again. Turns out its not the wire (no poo poo), but the power supply on the board is hosed and the wiring to the units is PoE, so its not providing enough power to more than one station.

Oh also the board is hosed and calls are starting to interfere with one another. That's kind of cool. New board gets delivered today. Whatever.

You know what's awesome? Not having phone systems. Outsource that bullshit.

gently caress everything about old rear end phone systems. There's not a single one that can stand up to a decent TCO analysis.

I hope your pet is going to be ok tho. :3:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

gently caress everything about old rear end phone systems. There's not a single one that can stand up to a decent TCO analysis.

As part of the systems changeover when we got purchased I keep getting asked about the desk phones being tossed and replaced with softphones we use and I don't know how much more enthusiastically I can respond with "Oh I want to get rid of all of them, when can we start?!" before they believe me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DigitalMocking posted:

I have a sales buddy that worked for a company selling phone systems, I forget which one, but it was hosted. I have another IT friend that works as an IT manager at a small brokerage firm (150 users in three offices). They struck a deal to replace their awful old system. So after a few months of getting everything in progress, getting the phones out, getting contract signed and about ready to port numbers, suddenly the brokerage companies owners brother decided he could roll his own FreePBX system, and basically get the support money paid to himself.

IT friend flipped out, because now he's basically managing a FreePBX system, and Sales buddy as contract that they basically refused to pay. A couple lawyer calls later, they get paid out for a year of the contract, but the customer refused to back off their FreePBX, so they are basically paying for a hosted contract but still using on premise phones. Mean while my IT friend is just stuck in the middle.

He just quit, and his company asked him he could recommend someone that knows FreePBX. I know it quite well, and he suggested they call me. He told me this later. I laughed at his face.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

gently caress this. We outsourced our phone system and it's down a decent percentage of the time. IT still gets to hear the bitching when they go down and can't do anything about it. Everyone hates our butt phones, we haven't moved because C-levels had the awesome idea to sign a 5 year contract with no SLA because it was dirt cheap with a full contract value due at time of termination. We're losing more money than buying another phone system would cost but the CFO refuses to pay for 2 phone systems and just wants this one to work so I keep calling waiting in a 100+ person queue then by the time someone gets on the phone there is no issue they can't see anything so the ticket says "user error" with no other details.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My department has essentially been split under two bosses. I report to one, but the other has more seniority so I go to him for a lot of stuff.

I'm stuck developing this new project and they can't loving agree on anything. I go to one, appease their concerns and come up with a plan. I run some tests to prove the plan works.

I bring it to the other and they say "We shouldn't do things this way, no I don't have a good reason, but do it this other way instead."

I appease the concerns, come up with a plan, run some tests for POC, and head on back to the first one.

"I don't like doing things this way. No I don't have a good reason, but let's try doing it this new way instead."

I've been bouncing between them for days and I can't even start on this project. I'm convinced they're just nay-saying me so they can each prove they have better ideas than I do, not realizing they're essentially fighting each other by proxy.

All the ideas are fine, they'll all work, I just need a loving stamp of approval so I can get to loving work.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My department has essentially been split under two bosses. I report to one, but the other has more seniority so I go to him for a lot of stuff.

I'm stuck developing this new project and they can't loving agree on anything. I go to one, appease their concerns and come up with a plan. I run some tests to prove the plan works.

I bring it to the other and they say "We shouldn't do things this way, no I don't have a good reason, but do it this other way instead."

I appease the concerns, come up with a plan, run some tests for POC, and head on back to the first one.

"I don't like doing things this way. No I don't have a good reason, but let's try doing it this new way instead."

I've been bouncing between them for days and I can't even start on this project. I'm convinced they're just nay-saying me so they can each prove they have better ideas than I do, not realizing they're essentially fighting each other by proxy.

All the ideas are fine, they'll all work, I just need a loving stamp of approval so I can get to loving work.

Have you told them "Hey Boss 1, Boss 2 wanted it that way, I'm happy to do it either way"? Maybe you need to schedule a meeting and invite both of them. They also could be bumping heads all over the place and fighting for power. It really sucks being stuck in the middle of a power struggle, good luck.

If you need to end up with 1 boss, go above them, ask for clarification on who you report to saying you have 2 people claiming you report to them, and if there is a disagreement side with the one their boss said is your boss.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a sales buddy that worked for a company selling phone systems, I forget which one, but it was hosted. I have another IT friend that works as an IT manager at a small brokerage firm (150 users in three offices). They struck a deal to replace their awful old system. So after a few months of getting everything in progress, getting the phones out, getting contract signed and about ready to port numbers, suddenly the brokerage companies owners brother decided he could roll his own FreePBX system, and basically get the support money paid to himself.

IT friend flipped out, because now he's basically managing a FreePBX system, and Sales buddy as contract that they basically refused to pay. A couple lawyer calls later, they get paid out for a year of the contract, but the customer refused to back off their FreePBX, so they are basically paying for a hosted contract but still using on premise phones. Mean while my IT friend is just stuck in the middle.

He just quit, and his company asked him he could recommend someone that knows FreePBX. I know it quite well, and he suggested they call me. He told me this later. I laughed at his face.

Holy christ.

pixaal posted:

gently caress this. We outsourced our phone system and it's down a decent percentage of the time. IT still gets to hear the bitching when they go down and can't do anything about it. Everyone hates our butt phones, we haven't moved because C-levels had the awesome idea to sign a 5 year contract with no SLA because it was dirt cheap with a full contract value due at time of termination. We're losing more money than buying another phone system would cost but the CFO refuses to pay for 2 phone systems and just wants this one to work so I keep calling waiting in a 100+ person queue then by the time someone gets on the phone there is no issue they can't see anything so the ticket says "user error" with no other details.

Holy christ. SIP isn't hard. 5 year contract on a butt service?

Inspector_666 posted:

As part of the systems changeover when we got purchased I keep getting asked about the desk phones being tossed and replaced with softphones we use and I don't know how much more enthusiastically I can respond with "Oh I want to get rid of all of them, when can we start?!" before they believe me.

Godspeed friend.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

Godspeed friend.

I mean, almost nobody in the company aside from sales and support even uses the phone, and they're both already on a softphone solution...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are due for a phone system refresh and the cloud will likely not make sense for us, considering our existing investment in a redundant on/premise phone systems with failover PRIs, moving to SIP trunks soon.

We handle a lot of call center traffic, and having SIP will let us handle a lot of business logic directly in the phone trunks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
After Dogshit Installation #6,097 of my career, I've reached the conclusion that low-voltage structured cabling service really needs to be a licensed profession, distinct from electrical work, so that you have to be specifically trained and licensed to perform it. Copper is bad enough, I've seen electricians do some terrible work on copper, but an electrician installing fiber should be a felony.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

devmd01 posted:

We handle a lot of call center traffic, and having SIP will let us handle a lot of business logic directly in the phone trunks.

:thejoke:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

Holy christ. SIP isn't hard. 5 year contract on a butt service?

It's up next year. The plan is after we settle on something only sign a 1 year to start. The thought at the time it was signed was "It's phones, phones are old tech, they just work, how can you gently caress up phones". I'm well aware this is a dumb opinion, but I didn't work here at the time. I'm willing to do cloud hosted phones again if I can find a good solution. My guess is they were out of the budget range and they wanted to move everything out of house they could before retiring. Bringing phones back in house would probably kill me a little since I'm the only one with any base knowledge and I loving hate phones.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

pixaal posted:

It's up next year. The plan is after we settle on something only sign a 1 year to start. The thought at the time it was signed was "It's phones, phones are old tech, they just work, how can you gently caress up phones". I'm well aware this is a dumb opinion, but I didn't work here at the time. I'm willing to do cloud hosted phones again if I can find a good solution. My guess is they were out of the budget range and they wanted to move everything out of house they could before retiring. Bringing phones back in house would probably kill me a little since I'm the only one with any base knowledge and I loving hate phones.

I have to say, we've been migrating to Teams for our phone system over the last couple of months and it's been *shockingly* good.

But we're super deep into the Microsoft Kool-Aid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

guppy posted:

After Dogshit Installation #6,097 of my career, I've reached the conclusion that low-voltage structured cabling service really needs to be a licensed profession, distinct from electrical work, so that you have to be specifically trained and licensed to perform it. Copper is bad enough, I've seen electricians do some terrible work on copper, but an electrician installing fiber should be a felony.

This is what we do, there's a few guys who's full time job is cable runs. We have a big enough site that the headcount makes sense though.

Rank and file employees aren't "allowed" to run cables either. People obviously still do it in some spots and no one really cares, but the improvement in the data centers have been dramatic when the big stuff was done by pros.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have been back at work for roughly 5 hours after 2 weeks off. It took less than 30 minutes of being here for me to facepalm, within the next 2 hours I mumbled at least 15 profanities under my breath, within the next 2.5 hours I've fixed 3 issues that were happening for 3-6 days that realistically took 2 minutes a piece but I'm catching up on emails and the bucket of fucks is extremely empty.

I should have stayed in belize on the beach with my now wife and never come back. I'd really miss my loving dog though; I should have flown here just to get him and brought him back to paradise to live happily ever after.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 9, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

Agreed, but also anything to do with RF distribution (satellite, terrestrial TV etc.)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

I have to say, we've been migrating to Teams for our phone system over the last couple of months and it's been *shockingly* good.

But we're super deep into the Microsoft Kool-Aid.

We already have office 365 accounts setup. Last I heard was Skype being a steaming pile of poo poo. It wasn't on my radar, I'll put it back on the check this out list. I did a quick look at it and saw auto attendants, and I'm assuming it'll do hunt groups, or something that will let me priority list customer service. I actually think I can sell this if it works good, about half our phones are internal only which is free with 365. They'd love to have an even cheaper bill and a system that works.

I wont be taking a real look until December / January on the specifics but it's nice to hear someone is actually happy with a service before hopping on the wagon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams is probably fine if you're going softphone-only, but the hardware isn't quite there if you want deskphones.

People are also understandably a bit cautious about porting a load of their existing numbers to Microsoft because even if they have to let you port them back out again, you'll be at the mercy of some absolutely terrible support.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

poo poo that has pissed me off for a decade: The printer properties port tab.

I love having to expand the column every time to see the port. Almost as much as I love having to scroll down because as soon as you expand the column, the horizontal scrollbar covers up the last line (which is always the port in question)

:argh:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wa27 posted:

poo poo that has pissed me off for a decade: The printer properties port tab.

I love having to expand the column every time to see the port. Almost as much as I love having to scroll down because as soon as you expand the column, the horizontal scrollbar covers up the last line (which is always the port in question)

:argh:

Don't forget that in fact unless your admins have been very careful about deleting and recreating ports whenever an IP changes, the port described as 192.168.3.5 might in fact actually point to the IP 192.168.3.37 or whatever the gently caress because the name of the port doesn't change when the IP is reconfigured.

I've taken to just naming ports PORT_<printer name> to avoid any confusion, i.e. since the column doesn't by default display the whole name anyway, may as well just select the port and click Configure to see the real IP instead of relying on the port name to tell you the IP.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Don't forget that in fact unless your admins have been very careful about deleting and recreating ports whenever an IP changes, the port described as 192.168.3.5 might in fact actually point to the IP 192.168.3.37 or whatever the gently caress because the name of the port doesn't change when the IP is reconfigured.

I've taken to just naming ports PORT_<printer name> to avoid any confusion, i.e. since the column doesn't by default display the whole name anyway, may as well just select the port and click Configure to see the real IP instead of relying on the port name to tell you the IP.

Which one do I choooose??

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I should have known the administration wasn't serious about getting good walkie-talkies for our campus safety team. I mean, the director did tell me, "Let’s get the right solution that will work now and last over time," but the fact that I couldn't get a straight answer from him or the DoF as to how much money we could actually spend on this should have clued me in. I just wish I had figured it out before I spent like two weeks testing a bunch of different models and getting quotes from vendors for various setups. Anyway we're just going to get a bunch more of the same lovely Wal-Mart family camping trip radios that we already had and everyone hates because it turns out that good equipment costs money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

I should have known the administration wasn't serious about getting good walkie-talkies for our campus safety team. I mean, the director did tell me, "Let’s get the right solution that will work now and last over time," but the fact that I couldn't get a straight answer from him or the DoF as to how much money we could actually spend on this should have clued me in. I just wish I had figured it out before I spent like two weeks testing a bunch of different models and getting quotes from vendors for various setups. Anyway we're just going to get a bunch more of the same lovely Wal-Mart family camping trip radios that we already had and everyone hates because it turns out that good equipment costs money.

I feel like no walkie talkies is better than walkie talkies that don't work a lot of the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy everyone an Apple Watch and use the walkie talkie feature. Bill it under a health and fitness initiative.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Powershell management of printer ports is a ton easier to read. Sort of related - use DNS names rather than IP addresses.

Edit: How small is your campus that you don't need a (licensed) base station/repeater setup to use with your radios?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Edit: How small is your campus that you don't need a (licensed) base station/repeater setup to use with your radios?

It’s pretty small, about 500 by 250 yards. The FRS/GMRS radios we’re using only cover about half of it but the UHF/VHF radios I recommended could cover almost the whole thing without a repeater. I really tried to get the cheapest acceptable option because I know we don’t have a lot of money to throw around.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

It’s pretty small, about 500 by 250 yards. The FRS/GMRS radios we’re using only cover about half of it but the UHF/VHF radios I recommended could cover almost the whole thing without a repeater. I really tried to get the cheapest acceptable option because I know we don’t have a lot of money to throw around.

This just feels incredibly penny-wise, pound-foolish. Like, make them factor in all the time they spend running around campus trying to find people because the walkie-talkies don't work. And the loss of face for the fuckups, lateness, etc. during major events.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

This just feels incredibly penny-wise, pound-foolish. Like, make them factor in all the time they spend running around campus trying to find people because the walkie-talkies don't work. And the loss of face for the fuckups, lateness, etc. during major events.

You ain’t gotta tell me, pal!

e: Worth noting also that the primary goal for this project is coordination between the various buildings’ safety teams in the event of some weirdo wandering onto campus from the shopping center across the street, which happens with some regularity. Real great thing to cheap out on when you’re in charge of 700 kids from 3-14.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 10, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

You ain’t gotta tell me, pal!
Send an email that advises that in the event of a shooting, this could kill people.

It's not wrong.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Send an email that advises that in the event of a shooting, this could kill people.

It's not wrong.

You know, that’s a great idea. I really need to be making a bigger stink about it. Maybe I’ll talk to the after-school program director about it too, get her on my side. She seems like the kind of person who could destroy someone.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Certainly a novel way of saying THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Certainly a novel way of saying THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

Like, you're talking about emergency infrastructure. Even if it's not a shooting, reliable communication is hella important, and unreliable communication (i.e. communication where you don't know if anyone is hearing you) is honestly worse than no communication, because at least then you'd definitely bother to run across campus or whatever you needed to do rather than just trusting faulty equipment.

But I'm probably just salty from my current communication woes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
News of an emergency power outage at an office with about 2 hours of warning. Got the storage migrated to the DR site, everything powered down, no problem...

Turns out the power never went off and what they told us was in error.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

pixaal posted:

We already have office 365 accounts setup. Last I heard was Skype being a steaming pile of poo poo. It wasn't on my radar, I'll put it back on the check this out list. I did a quick look at it and saw auto attendants, and I'm assuming it'll do hunt groups, or something that will let me priority list customer service. I actually think I can sell this if it works good, about half our phones are internal only which is free with 365. They'd love to have an even cheaper bill and a system that works.

I wont be taking a real look until December / January on the specifics but it's nice to hear someone is actually happy with a service before hopping on the wagon.

On prem skype is an abomination.

Skype for Business online is ... ok, but the pricing is bad.

Teams is good. A lot of features, hunt groups, have been added and are being added on the regular. Microsoft has been SUPER transparent with the roadmap and the team is really engaged with the community. I went to ignite and met a number of the coders and PMs and I'm clearly a loving convert. Since they spun up direct routing you can bring up your own SIP trunks, POTS lines, whatever you want as long as you have an SBC and can follow some directions.

The meeting quality and worldwide dial in numbers for meetings is great. The recent updates to Skype Room Systems and the Surface Hubs to support Teams is also good.

Our IT Department didn't like teams much, slack seemed better, it was our other departments that loved Teams and ran with it for communications, I'm just adding the PSTN portion to it now.

If you've got questions, just ask. We're about 70% done with our journey to teams, now it's just converting the masses from SFB to teams and throwing out 200 handsets that don't work any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you using Direct Routing? Teams won’t match incoming calls to contacts stored in the GAL which made us shelve the project until they sorted it.