Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Do not vote for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Dubar posted:

I'm actually pretty interested to see how this Florida thing will continue to play out, because as someone listed the timeline earlier, after the recounts are done, the results of the election are then certified by the governor, who, by the way, is Rick Scott. What fresh mayhem will we witness when he just says "nope"

I think the Secretary of State actually certifies elections... who is still a shitlord who got bribed by Trump to drop a lawsuit. The Florida Supreme Court at the moment has a majority of not-insane folks I've heard, so there's that at least.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

This is bad, don't do this. Vote for literally whoever the democrats put up, because the alternative is what we've been making GBS threads up the Trump thread with for two loving years.

I will unless the Democrats put up the worst candidate possible for a third time. Then me and the DNC will need to have a sit down where I explain that the Clown President is more preferable to me then way they choose to do things.

I mean, just enabling them because of their party name hasn't worked out too great lately.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pervis posted:

I think the Secretary of State actually certifies elections... who is still a shitlord who got bribed by Trump to drop a lawsuit.

You're thinking of Pam Bondi, who is Attorney General.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the "message" that this sends, insofar as anyone else cares for who you vote for, is that the DNC is not sufficiently fascist enough for your taste. I do not think you've thought this through. Just write in Bernie, or AOC, or Malcom X, or whoever.

I had a coworker who very smugly told me the morning of the election that she had written in Full Communism Now because Hillary was going to win anyway so she wasn't going to debase herself by voting for her. When I saw her the next day she was crying

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Koalas Massacre posted:

I didn't know the other thread was closed. PPJ said to pm the mods with your concerns.

To what end? How is that not just the 'we plan to take your concerns and discard them" any more than your demand we post them in a closed and locked thread was? Is there some option that if someone PMs the mods good enough there will be some change?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I will unless the Democrats put up the worst candidate possible for a third time. Then me and the DNC will need to have a sit down where I explain that the Clown President is more preferable to me then way they choose to do things.

I mean, just enabling them because of their party name hasn't worked out too great lately.

You are very dumb.

corn in the bible posted:

I had a coworker who very smugly told me the morning of the election that she had written in Full Communism Now because Hillary was going to win anyway so she wasn't going to debase herself by voting for her. When I saw her the next day she was crying

That's honestly really depressing. :smith:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Gripweed posted:

There's a ton of potential problems with UBI. Who decides what's "basic", how do you make sure it keeps up with a rising cost of living, lovely people are going to try to make it means tested based on regional cost of living, etc. All that's gotta be worked out.

Jobs guarantee and 15 dollar minimum wage are simple, easy, obviously good, and could be implemented tomorrow

This is super dumb, but I can't wrap my head around how it would work and it always made me less than comforted that in Star Trek the writers would come up with all sorts of pseudo science bullshit reasons for warp cores or transporters or whatever, but wouldn't even try to give any made up details on how their moneyless society operates. I think they just couldn't come up with anything. Got to be where they were talking about latinum all the time in DS9 and using it as a plot point often.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1061260023756656640

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lote posted:

Dennis Hof won his race for state legislature so that was money well spent.

Serious question- what happens with this seat now?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I actually feel like if the DNC is that out of touch and that foolish to triple down then there needs to be a clear message sent to them because 2016 apparently didn't work. Voting for batman or third party doesn't do the same thing as making Trump's inevitable second win against her a landslide to try and hammer the point home and send a clear message.

"Check me out, brown people. I am in a position of relative comfort, as I can just stop talking publicly about my political views and won't be too badly affected by American fascism. Sorry I voted for Trump to send the DNC a message, because I don't like neoconservatives who wouldn't have caged you, but if you think about it, what choice did I have?"

*train pulls away from the station to the immigrant work camp*

*waving* "See ya, hope things turn out better when the Democrats nominate *checks notes* Bernie in 2024!"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the "message" that this sends, insofar as anyone else cares for who you vote for, is that the DNC is not sufficiently fascist enough for your taste. I do not think you've thought this through. Just write in Bernie, or AOC, or Malcom X, or whoever.

I could get behind a protest-vote campaign of writing in AOC to see how many votes we could get. I don't think it would be as effective as slapping the Democratic party with a Trump landslide but it could help and be way less controversial since most people react like they've been shot when you suggest voting for trump ironically to own the libs.

Chilichimp posted:

"Check me out, brown people. I am in a position of relative comfort, as I can just stop talking publicly about my political views and won't be too badly affected by American fascism. Sorry I voted for Trump to send the DNC a message, because I don't like neoconservatives who wouldn't have caged you, but if you think about it, what choice did I have?"

*train pulls away from the station to the immigrant work camp*

*waving* "See ya, hope things turn out better when the Democrats nominate *checks notes* Bernie in 2024!"

hyperbole thy name is goons

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

You are very dumb.

This is literally the discussion you were demanding is enlightening to read.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I actually feel like if the DNC is that out of touch and that foolish to triple down then there needs to be a clear message sent to them because 2016 apparently didn't work. Voting for batman or third party doesn't do the same thing as making Trump's inevitable second win against her a landslide to try and hammer the point home and send a clear message.

So you’re arguing for accelerationism?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

nevada state appoints somebody who is in his district and who is from his party. can literally be anybody that meets that criteria

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

If your worthless DNC shoves Hillary 3: It's Her Turn Again Again up, I'm going to laugh as I prepare for you to inevitably go fasc either immediately after her loss or 4 years later if she ekes out a win. I'm then going to die in a ditch somewhere because that's the inevitable result of a Fascist USA.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://discord.gg/bc6h4fG

Here.

I will also place this in the OP.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joke voting for the opposite party because you don't have the platform/candidate you want this year has consequences that real people, who might agree with you, will feel.

The stakes are high, dude. The republican party is literally getting people killed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

If your worthless DNC shoves Hillary 3: It's Her Turn Again Again up, I'm going to laugh as I prepare for you to inevitably go fasc either immediately after her loss or 4 years later if she ekes out a win. I'm then going to die in a ditch somewhere because that's the inevitable result of a Fascist USA.

USPOL Winter: I'm then going to die in a ditch somewhere

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you vote for Trump as a protest vote then congrats you need your head kicked in for being a Nazi. If you support a Nazi by giving them your vote, you’re a Nazi supporter sorry I don’t make the rules.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Whoever said that he picked Page and Staubach not because of being vets but because they're sportsball players is right on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is literally the discussion you were demanding is enlightening to read.

Lol, and you even weren't a gigantic prick about it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

haveblue posted:

someone gets appointed to fill in for him

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

To what end? How is that not just the 'we plan to take your concerns and discard them" any more than your demand we post them in a closed and locked thread was? Is there some option that if someone PMs the mods good enough there will be some change?

See this is what I mean when I say you aren't giving them a chance. You are throwing up your arms and completely disregarding the value of having a one on one dialogue and the ear of the people who are making the decisions you don't agree with.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I would write-in Axl Rose knowing full well he would treat the country as poorly as he treated the members of Guns N' Roses before I would even consider putting a mark next to Trump's name. I can scarcely think of anyone I would vote Trump over. The only saving grace for my vote he would get is if he was running against someone just as evil but more clever and was capable of inflicting more damage, like Mitch McConnell. It would probably vote Sean loving Hannity over Trump.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was neutral on combining the threads before, but seeing how mad it's made oocc has convinced me it was a solid idea.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Koalas Massacre posted:

See this is what I mean when I say you aren't giving them a chance. You are throwing up your arms and completely disregarding the value of having a one on one dialogue and the ear of the people who are making the decisions you don't agree with.

OOCC has never been anything but a low-rate Fulchrum/rkajdi merger. And somehow often worse than both of those.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

people who vote for trump are trump-supporting shitlords

there are not "ironic" "protest vote" trump voters who are actually good people, you're just a bad person

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Speaking as someone who may very well have their access to any healthcare whatsoever denied to them entirely if the Republicans keep the presidency (or failing that will require an executive order to get it back) i'd just like to say gently caress you and please emigrate to somewhere else that will tolerate being burdened by your stupidity and sheltered privilege. If this is really what you plan on doing then your presence in the US is literally helping to contribute to things getting worse for pretty much everyone.

My life and the lives of all the other people out there that are affected by the Republicans and their bigoted, selfish, and often outright childish crap aren't worth your desire to "send a message" that the Third Way wing of the Democrats will never receive, hear, or care about to begin with.

And to be clear, this is not hyperbole. Voting for Trump or the Republicans literally, literally puts blood on your hands through the legislation they craft. If they get their way i'll be legislated straight into the grave in the next five to ten years tops due to not being able to get access to any sort of healthcare when I get sick.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 10, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So is Sinema going to win AZ-SEN?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

like we can debate if intentionally not voting or voting for a third party is effectively voting for trump but there's not debate that voting for trump means you voted for trump, period. you are a trump voter, no different from any other.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

hyperbole thy name is goons

This is the way it is, man. We've got camps of immigrant children, pulled from their parents loving arms all over the country.

Trump promising he won't release them anymore, US soldiers putting up fuckin' concertina wire at the border, and the fate of DACA recipients ~still~ in limbo.

More than one immigrant who has lived here for their entire living memory has been deported to a country where they know not a single person. More than one immigrant has been denied asylum to be sent home where they were killed by the very thing they were running from in the first place.

This isn't hyperbole.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So is Sinema going to win AZ-SEN?

no guarantee but that's the most likely outcome

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

This is super dumb, but I can't wrap my head around how it would work and it always made me less than comforted that in Star Trek the writers would come up with all sorts of pseudo science bullshit reasons for warp cores or transporters or whatever, but wouldn't even try to give any made up details on how their moneyless society operates. I think they just couldn't come up with anything. Got to be where they were talking about latinum all the time in DS9 and using it as a plot point often.

Every room in Star Trek had a magic box that can create any material good you want except (a) latinum and (b) this week's rare plot-critical material. And there's no shortage of energy because humanity is a Kardashev Type II civilization.

What do you need money for, everything you could possibly need or want is free. How does money even work if no one has to buy any material goods anymore and energy is too cheap to meter.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I feel like voting for Trump to send a message to the DNC is functionally the same as "pretending" to be racist to get out of jury duty. Even if you were doing it ironically, that stink's still on you forever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to vote so hard right that the country becomes hard left through integer overflow

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StealthArcher posted:

the dnc doesn't have nearly as much power as you think it does

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
I don't know that AOC's views on ubi are that relevant. Whether its a federal jobs guarantee, ubi, whatever, the dems don't even control the senate much less a super majority. In another 4 to 6 years aoc can discuss the details, but why bother now? Signaling she is on the right team is enough.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
You know maybe applying this way of thinking is good. We aren’t really improving on the opiate crisis so if we make it worse, it will force people to act to make it better. Let’s give all the drug dealers fentanyl and elephant opiates so that way more people overdose. We will be forced to act then right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

You know maybe applying this way of thinking is good. We aren’t really improving on the opiate crisis so if we make it worse, it will force people to act to make it better. Let’s give all the drug dealers fentanyl and elephant opiates so that way more people overdose. We will be forced to act then right?

to be fair, that is basically what the FDA did this week