Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

the good news is the hand recount (which is definitely happening, barring tens of thousands of republican votes appearing in broward and palm beach lol) will certainly catch this if the problem really was machines

there's dozens/hundreds of votes sitting in a opa locka (miami/dade, basically) mail center that was shut down because of the pipe bombs

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-ballots-are-still-inside-opa-locka-post-office-10899192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

not that this whole NY election system isn't totally hosed, but I would like to nots that "Crowley is bad because he sort of ran under WFP after losing" and "Cuomo is bad because he didn't let Nixon run under WFP after losing" are not the most consistent stances I've seen today

I mean it's consistent in that the larger point is "the WFP is not really a progressive institution, and is in fact beholden to the New York political machine."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DavidNakamura/status/1061302083842985984

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trump only likes wardead who didn't die. Duh.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

One news story said that PG&E's infrastructure has been responsible for at least 15 of this year's fires.

Yup. The one that torched Napa, my hometown, definitely was. And, of course, they are not budging one bit in admitting responsibility.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with doing these things but didn't Bernie do better in caucuses? Or am I misremembering?

I don't know. I'm just listing off some of the many things that make the Democratic primary less than a question of who has the most popular ideas

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
lol the rah rah troops worship is bad but it's hilarious how much of a coward Trump is and how consistently he fucks easy layups up. The media is desperate to treat him as a normal Republican and he just can't keep his poo poo together long enough to take advantage of it.

^ fair.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Some are arguing that Broward's ballots were poorly designed and that may account for the disparity between governor and senate. Nelson is arguing it's a machine error instead which a hand recount would pick up, but if the ballots were just needlessly (or if you want to go full conspiracy theory, deliberately) confusing then there's nothing to be done.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, they already changed super delegates so now they only get to vote if no one gets a majority

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Grapplejack posted:

What kind of monster turns down the opportunity to serve their country through a jury trial :911:

Especially considering that you don't even need to consider yourself a racist to get out of jury duty, much the opposite! "I consider the US justice system a sham and a thin coverup to disenfranchise and enslave black men in the modern era."

Good luck saying that on jury selection and sticking around.

That or bring up jury nullification.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe if the Democratic primary were perfectly democratic, right-wing "new Dems" like Clinton would still win. Then we have a different problem

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, they already changed super delegates so now they only get to vote if no one gets a majority

I still think the funniest DNC decision this year was when they voted not to accept fossil fuel donations and then like a week later voted that actually they do want them

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

there's dozens/hundreds of votes sitting in a opa locka (miami/dade, basically) mail center that was shut down because of the pipe bombs

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-ballots-are-still-inside-opa-locka-post-office-10899192

not discounting that, just discounting that missing votes in these counties are going to be thousands of like 100% republican votes it would take to blow Scott's lead past the .25% hand recount threshold

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

It looks a lot like a ballot layout problem: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/something-looks-weird-in-broward-county-heres-what-we-know-about-a-possible-florida-recount/

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i missed the dogpile, but for gods sake don't vote for trump even if the DNC rigs the 2020 primaries. write in bernie sanders, write in someone from the PSL, write in gritty. there are plenty of options for not voting for hillary, biden, or whoever else bought the DNC in 2020 that don't involve voting for a racist clown.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 10, 2018

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1061293819747057664

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1061296656526860289

Was definitely a Blue Wave

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

As much as I really want it to be a machine error in Broward, looking at the sample ballot the design really is poor and I could see that being the reason so few votes were cast for the Senate race.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also I must apologize to eke out because i didn't realize people literally believe crowley tried to steal an election by "running" as an impossible-to-elect third party candidate

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

also I must apologize to eke out because i didn't realize people literally believe crowley tried to steal an election by "running" as an impossible-to-elect third party candidate

haha fair enough, if you weren't around for like multiple days of this derail after AOC won her primary it may seem pretty silly

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

corn in the bible posted:

impossible to elect?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

GreyjoyBastard posted:

not that this whole NY election system isn't totally hosed, but I would like to nots that "Crowley is bad because he sort of ran under WFP after losing" and "Cuomo is bad because he didn't let Nixon run under WFP after losing" are not the most consistent stances I've seen today

The board at the WFP thought they could have a progressive candidate, the minute this is stated the unions that make up the bulk of the WFP funding essentially murder it with piano wire from the back seat. When push comes to shove WFP was shown that they have to submit to the machine. Crowley and Cuomo are part of the machine. WFP exists today because they "made up" with Cuomo.

EDIT: Check out what happens when progressives try to pull the NY Democratic machine to the left - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/nyregion/democrats-brooklyn-county-committee-seddio.html

osker fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 10, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He literally tried, it doesn't mean Crowley or the DNC are smart or that it was a good plan

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Parents posted:

He literally tried, it doesn't mean Crowley or the DNC are smart or that it was a good plan

maybe you can point us towards some of the many campaign events that Crowley obviously would've had as the nominee that was seriously trying to steal the election on the WFP ticket for these past two months

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chilichimp posted:

No, idiot, the reason things never change is not "because people oppose fascism."

The last two Republican presidents were fascists. Obama was between them, and he proceeded to carry the same poo poo neoliberal water as the dems before him. In fact, it could be argued that we wouldn't have gotten the current fascist if the last Dem had done loving anything at all for the common folk.

So if the Republicans continue to run fascists and the comfy libs continue to vote "happily" for the people that enable their popularity, then no. Nothing will change

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mind_Taker posted:

As much as I really want it to be a machine error in Broward, looking at the sample ballot the design really is poor and I could see that being the reason so few votes were cast for the Senate race.

I can't remember where I posted it, but I helped a co-worker print out their Florida absentee ballot. It was gigantic and took up several pages, and the first couple times we tried to print it the senate and house seat section was cut off at the bottom. In comparison, my NJ absentee had a hell of alot fewer things to vote on. I helped out all my American co-workers make sure they got ballots this year for Texas and Pennsylvania. My coworker for Kansas applied for his and never got it sent to him (surprise!) I couldn't have another 2016 flashback talking to my friends who didn't fill out their ballots from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's still unbelievable to me that someone who is on tape taking the 5th like 100 times for medicare fraud can get elected to statewide office 3 times...

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. Odds are it’s just a design error.

BUT, it is Florida we are discussing so anything is possible. Seriously, a story could come out saying it’s all due to a gator gnawing on a voting machine.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Trump winning in 2020 with 50.5% of the vote is much different than Trump winning with 75% of the vote. Only vote for Trump if you want to give him the illusion that he is strong enough to easily win a civil war, so he'll start a civil war where he can then be defeated.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

qkkl posted:

Trump winning in 2020 with 50.5% of the vote is much different than Trump winning with 75% of the vote. Only vote for Trump if you want to give him the illusion that he is strong enough to easily win a civil war, so he'll start a civil war where he can then be defeated.

don't vote for trump

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The last two Republican presidents were fascists. Obama was between them, and he proceeded to carry the same poo poo neoliberal water as the dems before him. In fact, it could be argued that we wouldn't have gotten the current fascist if the last Dem had done loving anything at all for the common folk.

So if the Republicans continue to run fascists and the comfy libs continue to vote "happily" for the people that enable their popularity, then no. Nothing will change

Like what? pass landmark legislation in an attempt to make insurance accessible for millions?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

maybe you can point us towards some of the many campaign events that Crowley obviously would've had as the nominee that was seriously trying to steal the election on the WFP ticket for these past two months

I think he would've tried if AOC hadn't said anything. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that the guy who was in line to be Speaker of the House in a notoriously corrupt state was salty enough about getting primaried that he would've spiked the ball if he wasn't called out immediately.

Condiv posted:

don't vote for trump

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

eke out posted:

Again, this is incredibly dumb because the entire point of calling him out immediately & publicly was to nip that in the bud.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chilichimp posted:

Like what? pass landmark legislation in an attempt to make insurance accessible for millions?

he passed a watered down handout to the insurance industry instead of taking clear and obvious examples of working healthcare systems and using those

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Condiv posted:

he passed a watered down handout to the insurance industry instead of taking clear and obvious examples of working healthcare systems and using those

Because that was impossible to pass, due to needing the support of right-wing Democrats.

If they'd have listened to you and held out for the perfect, it would most likely have collapsed and never got done. Like all the other times they tried it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

What a novel thought! It’s because of posts like this that I couldn’t be happier that the Trump thread ceased to exist since, apparently, we can only have one US politics thread for some reason. I noticed there’s a Supreme Court thread too, I hope that one gets folded in here, same with all the local politics (California etc). We’re all one happy family!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Chilichimp posted:

"accessible"

insurance is still prohibitively expensive unless you're getting it through an employer, and then it's merely quite pricey, and that's without getting into how quickly things like copays stack up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Obama didn't do nothing, he just didn't do nearly enough

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ChazReddBear/status/1061258545893699584

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Trump can't be bothered to attend a 100th anniversary commeroration for the dead of the Great War becuause it's raining.

loving what!?!

I'm trying to imagine this happening with Obama, or any previous president, and I just can't do it.

I know we should stop harping on about the long ago times before the hell dimension descended on us all, but if Obama had done this? Fox news would be on fire, Hannity would literally have combusted from rage.

Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BarbarianElephant posted:

Because that was impossible to pass, due to needing the support of right-wing Democrats.

If they'd have listened to you and held out for the perfect, it would most likely have collapsed and never got done. Like all the other times they tried it.

they don't have to hold out for the perfect. they should hold out for the functional if they're actually interested in governing this nation well though. they didn't do that though and instead opted to pass a watered down handout to the insurance industry