Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

It's always been a good time to advocate for UHC, though. Democrats could have advocated strongly for UHC in 2008 while still passing whatever they could have passed. Literally just saying "we're passing this now because we have to but we are 100% committed to a true UHC system and understand that this isn't it" would have gone a long, long way with a lot of folks.

I will sign a universal health-care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family’s premium by up to $2,500 a year.
Barack Obama
Cutting, Years, Law
Barack Obama (2009). “Barack Obama: Speeches on the Road to the White House”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Actually using the bully pulpit of the presidency to advocate for good policy, instead of bad policy, would have been a good first step. The fiction is that Dems wanted better than Obamacare and we’re forced to settle, when in fact they created pretty much the exact law they wanted.

Language matters. The democrats stumped for Obamacare not as a compromise position, but as the ideal form of health care, and now they own its problems as well as its successes. Even if we ended up with something like Obamacare in the end there was real value in using that historical moment to begin seriously socializing the idea of single payer to the voters, and making that voters understood that democrats believe that health care is a right, and republicans are the reason it’s still far too costly for many even under Obamacare.

There’s also a serious lack of imagination when people say “the votes aren’t there!!!!” about and good policy as if good politicians simply follow the will of the voters instead of creating it. The problem is many Dems are very bad politicians who simply cravenly follow polling instead of trying to advocate for good things in a forceful way to sway opinion.

Do you understand why someone might advocate for a policy that can actually pass, rather than arguing that their bill is a trash compromise but we should pass it anyway?

I don't recall there being tons of time to debate about various possible bills in committee. I remember ACA barely squeaking through Congress in time as it was.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Lightning Knight posted:

Hand recount for both of them?

I think it's a machine recount, then if that recount is within a certain margin it goes to a hand recount.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Democratic messaging on M4A sucks dicks, in many departments. However they do not have a nationwide, singular news organization to follow marching orders to get that message across, either, even if they had the will to.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Space Gopher posted:

Right now "Medicare for All" is so ill-defined it means absolutely nothing

I don't think this is very accurate, there's explicitly bills that have dozens of cosponsors, it has fairly well-understood policy architecture as far as I'm aware. Admittedly, I am too dumb to understand that policy, but it exists in both houses of Congress.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pakled posted:

So the Democrats should have used the short window where they had the votes to do something about health care to instead bluster about a policy that didn't have enough support in their own caucus to actually pass and not actually change anything?

If the caucus isn't on board with helping the American people, I'd argue that's a huge part of the problem in and of itself and those people do not deserve voter support.

But yes, a media blitz should have been initiated to show Americans the possibilities, how it has worked for decades in every other first world country, etc etc. Health care could have been the crucible Dems used to burn away Republicans but it turns out Obama didn't actually want anything but a handout to insurance companies and yet we are all supposed to nod wisely and say "yep, nothing could have been done."

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do you understand why someone might advocate for a policy that can actually pass, rather than arguing that their bill is a trash compromise but we should pass it anyway?

believe it or not there is a middle ground between these.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grapplejack posted:

Macron regularly compares himself to a king, so quisling isn't the term I'd use. More like "upstart monarchist".

monarchists are just proto quislings

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

freckle posted:

monarchists just proto quislings

See King Edward VIII, for example.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stexils posted:

believe it or not there is a middle ground between these.

We got the middle ground. It's ACA and it loving sucks aside from the pre-existing conditions clause

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

KickerOfMice posted:

Democratic messaging on M4A sucks dicks, in many departments. However they do not have a nationwide, singular news organization to follow marching orders to get that message across, either, even if they had the will to.

What about MSNBC or whatever? I don't know much about American news networks, but isn't that typically viewed as a mouthpiece for the liberal establishment?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

What about MSNBC or whatever? I don't know much about American news networks, but isn't that typically viewed as a mouthpiece for the liberal establishment?
It may be, but it’s not. They also have multiple Republican hosts of shows

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MSNBC hired Megan Kelly lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Space Gopher posted:

Right now "Medicare for All" is so ill-defined it means absolutely nothing - just like "universal healthcare" was very popular until the insurance industry and right-wing media spun up the propaganda machine to turn even the tiniest, most non-controversial bits of any actual proposal into "the government wants to kill you and your family." Remember how "maybe we should help pay for end-of-life counseling and hospice care" got turned into "death panels"?

Universal single-payer healthcare is a good thing and we should fight tooth and nail for it. But, if you think that any real Medicare for All proposal is going to result in the Republican base saying "gosh, sounds like a good idea, I can't see any reason to fight against this" then you are living in fantasyland. Every small step is going to be a massive fight.

A lot of the current Democratic leadership are giving up on that fight before it even starts. That's a bad and morally bankrupt stance. But, they're still right that it would be, and will be, a desperate fight. If you think that you can just waltz up and say "hey guys, I've got a proposal for Medicare for All, let's do it!" and have everybody stand up and clap - even Aaron Sorkin would think you're leaning a little too hard on the bright-eyed idealism.

One reason that large segments of the healthcare sector is terrified of any sort of MFA or even the public opinion is that while defrauding private insurance companies gets you at most sued with an eventual settlement, defrauding Medicare or more generally the government gets your practice banned from being reimbursed for medical care (usually instantly forcing bankruptcy) and gets people thrown in jail.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Low ratings.

Plus, when you’re liberal, you don’t get to resort to cheap tactics like making your female anchors wear miniskirts and giggle at all the boys being boys

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

democrats should stop that ridiculous strategy of ever trying to take republican votes, a republican will vote for a dead body with an R next to it before even the biggest blue dog.

did AOC's huge stomp victory teach them ANYTHING?

if they could learn, they wouldn't still be liberal democrats

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

i thought that was regular NBC?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

If the caucus isn't on board with helping the American people, I'd argue that's a huge part of the problem in and of itself and those people do not deserve voter support.

But yes, a media blitz should have been initiated to show Americans the possibilities, how it has worked for decades in every other first world country, etc etc. Health care could have been the crucible Dems used to burn away Republicans but it turns out Obama didn't actually want anything but a handout to insurance companies and yet we are all supposed to nod wisely and say "yep, nothing could have been done."

I think 20 million American's would disagree with you. And no offense, the media bungled ACA coverage by basically embracing every right wing talking point about. People love the idea of UHC and M4A and I do too. But if you think that for one second when the Democrats get close to passing it that popularity for that bill will poll below 50 percent, I think you have another thing coming.

It's a bit like DACA or dare I say the ACA. People love the ideas, they just hate the ideas costing them anything ever.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Oh, it absolutely is. Unlike FOX news, they're still on the track of having roundtables for conflict/ratings. FOX on the other hand, is at this point, masturbatory, state network TV.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
https://twitter.com/joyce_karam/status/1061327346362392576?s=21

So what are the chances that Trump is sundowning extra hard today, and his handlers thought it would look worse if he was publicly recorded than the look of throwing a tantrum in his hotel room?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The headline morning show on MSNBC was one of the biggest supporters of Trump during his primary.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol

MSNBC's flagship show is hosted by a loving former republican congressman.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

No. NBC did. She just got her contract terminated too because they couldn’t move her to MSNBC as that channel’s audience would never accept her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Remember Keith Olbermann?

e: I mix up NBC and MSNBC sometimes which I think is understandable

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Well, the question was "is is viewed as a liberal mouthpiece," and the answer to that is yes.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think 20 million American's would disagree with you. And no offense, the media bungled ACA coverage by basically embracing every right wing talking point about. People love the idea of UHC and M4A and I do too. But if you think that for one second when the Democrats get close to passing it that popularity for that bill will poll below 50 percent, I think you have another thing coming.

It's a bit like DACA or dare I say the ACA. People love the ideas, they just hate the ideas costing them anything ever.

that's because the ACA is really loving complicated and at best only lets you *buy* insurance. getting to see the doctor for free or a nominal fee of 5 dollars is way harder to spin.

the counter to right wing propoganda is and always has been politics that demonstrably help people that don't require a bunch of hoops to jump through.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why would they call their bill trash? The ACA helped a ton of people (including me, a self-employed person who would be priced out of insurance without it) and US healthcare was and still is in a legitimate crisis. It is possible to admit that what you are currently doing is not your final goal without calling your efforts total garbage.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

RasperFat posted:

So what are the chances that Trump is sundowning extra hard today, and his handlers thought it would look worse if he was publicly recorded than the look of throwing a tantrum in his hotel room?

I actually had the thought the other day that DST might mean he's sundowning even earlier than usual. Throw an overseas trip into the mix, and whooo boy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bill Maher is viewed as a liberal mouthpiece too and lol, just lol

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, the question was "is is viewed as a liberal mouthpiece," and the answer to that is yes.

As viewed by conservatives, not liberals themselves, though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't recall there being tons of time to debate about various possible bills in committee. I remember ACA barely squeaking through Congress in time as it was.

You know advocacy can be aspirational right? Like, you don’t require votes to advocate for anything? Advocate for good things, accept marginal improvements when they’re the best you can do, and remind everyone of who is standing in the way of the very good things you’re advocating for.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RasperFat posted:

I think we are at the point of officially admitting he is an extremely fragile old man and that getting his awful body wet is a legitimate threat killing him.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

democrats should stop that ridiculous strategy of ever trying to take republican votes, a republican will vote for a dead body with an R next to it before even the biggest blue dog.

did AOC's huge stomp victory teach them ANYTHING?

Some of us live in states that are majority Republican, so not competing to flip Republicans is the same as not competing at all.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

RasperFat posted:

Doesn't sundowning actually happen around sundown... *checks time zones*

Narrator: They did.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

As viewed by conservatives, not liberals themselves, though.

Hey, I just meant the general public. :shrug:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

I actually had the thought the other day that DST might mean he's sundowning even earlier than usual. Throw an overseas trip into the mix, and whooo boy

Also, being handed a major loss in the midterms, despite his assurances of a "red wave". All three of those are a recipe for disaster.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Fox News is also run competently by evil people who don’t screw up often. NBC and MSNBC, on the other hand, are regularly screwing up. Just read about Matt Lauer, Ann Curry, or Megyn Kelly. That crap would never happen at Fox News and become public knowledge to the degree that those fiascos did.

Too many factions and not enough common ideology at NBC.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mooseontheloose posted:

But if you think that for one second when the Democrats get close to passing it that popularity for that bill will poll below 50 percent, I think you have another thing coming.

It's almost like part of the statement I've made multiple times has included the advocacy and education phase in order to get that approval up

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Young Freud posted:

Also, being handed a major loss in the midterms, despite his assurances of a "red wave". All three of those are a recipe for disaster.

Plus he hasn't been able to golf like, at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think this is very accurate, there's explicitly bills that have dozens of cosponsors, it has fairly well-understood policy architecture as far as I'm aware. Admittedly, I am too dumb to understand that policy, but it exists in both houses of Congress.

Sorry; I should have been more explicit there.

There are lots of proposals that have gotten some flavor of "Medicare for All" tag, from true single-payer to various public option and even private insurer-plus-subsidy plans. The CAP (who did the whole Medicare Extra thing) tried to brand their slight tweaks to the ACA as "Medicare Extra for All," and on the other end of the spectrum you've got Bernie's no-poo poo single-payer proposal.

All those options have some kind of architecture and concrete policy proposals behind them, but none of them is the one, definitive Medicare for All. As long as that ambiguity exists, polling on the subject is going to be a weak proxy for "is Medicare a good thing that should maybe be bigger somehow" instead of anything that could reflect an upcoming policy fight. As soon as there's a single, concrete policy proposal with some traction, then the knives will come out.