Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Aesop Poprock posted:

My dad is one of those "if I think it's right than it's right" people but I also apparently didn't know how it works so I'm just as bad

Nah, I got my gout from eating like poo poo and chugging red wine by the gallon. I still have flare-ups years later, even with eating better and drinking about .0001% of what I used to. I guess I'm very mildly predisposed to the condition, but I woulda been fine if I had skipped my party days. Basically, I don't eat shellfish, tons of red meat, piles of cheese, and don't drink red wine (or much booze in general) and I'm fine. My doctor still put me on allopurinol about a year ago because my body loves collecting uric acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BattyKiara posted:

I envy women who don't get horrible period pains every month. Fact: I was in my early 20s and didn't get that I had a week 14 miscarriage, because the pain was nothing compared to what I considered a normal period cramp. Only got that something might be wrong because of the blood. Still waited two more days before seeking help, because it really wasn't that bad pain or blood wise. So maybe it was just a light spotting? Which was when the doctors finally realised that maybe I hadn't been exaggerating about how bad my periods were. Turned out I have endometriosis. Had only been crying about the pain, and amount of blood since I was 14! Got my first period at 10, but around 13 was when it started getting horribly painful. I honestly believed the doctors message of "Everything is normal, you just have to learn to deal with normal pain". Hint: If you need to use two pads at the time, and change them every 3 hours, day and night, for 6-8 days? That is not normal, and absolutely counts as excessive bleeding. If you don't notice you have two broken toes because your tummy hurts more than your toes? This is not a normal pain level for periods.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. My sister had the same experience. Started her periods at 14, missed school every month, cried. Went to the doctor and was told it was normal and she'd just have to learn to deal with it. Much much later, when she was trying to conceive, she found out that she's had horrible endometriosis the whole time. loving assholes.

I also went to the doctor once because my periods stopped for six months and I thought I'd better investigate, and the doctor made a joke about it. "haha, you want them back do you?" No you shithead, I want to know if it's possible for me to have children, you stupid, stupid rear end in a top hat. Augggh.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Nov 10, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ranbo das posted:

I get some weird version of cluster headaches and I wouldn't wish that level of pain on anyone. Your world basically collapses down to doing anything possible to lessen the pain even a little bit.

The good news is that after like three years of trying over the counter and prescription meds I finally found one that works.

What's up, cluster buddy?

I'm a uterus-haver who grew up having horribly painful periods. Then in my early 30s I started waking up in the middle of the night with headaches that I can only describe as what I imagine having an ice pick driven in the side of your head is like. Worse pain than any period cramps I'd ever had. It's a sharp, acute pain, not a throbbing ache. I'd chew Tylenol like candy, put ice packs on that side, and sob until the attack was over hours later.

You know how when you stub your toe, sometimes you'll smack yourself in the arm or thigh or something while hopping around going "poo poo poo poo poo poo"? As if to distract yourself from the pain in your toe, you hit yourself somewhere else. When I had clusters, I would literally bang my head on the wall, as if... I dunno, maybe I could get some emergency endorphins rolling, or knock myself out. It was just a gut reaction to the excruciating pain.

Finally got diagnosed with cluster headaches and saw a neurologist, who did 6 lidocaine injections INTO MY HEAD. (It was a teeny tiny needle, but when I tell this to people they think I'm :black101: as hell.) He
also gave me a few epi-pens loaded with Imitrex, which is usually given in pill form for migraine sufferers.

The injections did the trick for a few months, but then one night I woke up with another attack. Stabbed myself in the thigh with the epi-pen, and it was crazy, I had this fizzy feeling rush up my spine and when it reached my head, the agony faded away in seconds.

Then I came. That's how bad clusters hurt: the instant relief, the absence of that pain, felt so good, it made me orgasm.

Cluster headaches are no joke.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

BattyKiara posted:

I envy women who don't get horrible period pains every month. Fact: I was in my early 20s and didn't get that I had a week 14 miscarriage, because the pain was nothing compared to what I considered a normal period cramp. Only got that something might be wrong because of the blood. Still waited two more days before seeking help, because it really wasn't that bad pain or blood wise. So maybe it was just a light spotting? Which was when the doctors finally realised that maybe I hadn't been exaggerating about how bad my periods were. Turned out I have endometriosis. Had only been crying about the pain, and amount of blood since I was 14! Got my first period at 10, but around 13 was when it started getting horribly painful. I honestly believed the doctors message of "Everything is normal, you just have to learn to deal with normal pain". Hint: If you need to use two pads at the time, and change them every 3 hours, day and night, for 6-8 days? That is not normal, and absolutely counts as excessive bleeding. If you don't notice you have two broken toes because your tummy hurts more than your toes? This is not a normal pain level for periods.

Same. So, so very same. I kept telling gynecologists I had very heavy bleeding for years and none of them ever really took it seriously. They would screen me for Endo, cysts, etc and it was always clear so they figured I was exaggerating. I was going through an overnight pad every hour and a half (or less). Finally I found a gyno that took me seriously but still needed to "see" so she had me sit on a blue pad (you know the one)...she believed me after 10 minutes. A year later and I haven't had a period since thanks to Depo shots. If any of my other doctors had taken me seriously I could have been free of Menorrhagia years ago and it still pisses me off.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ranbo das posted:

The good news is that after like three years of trying over the counter and prescription meds I finally found one that works.

Well, don't hold out on us! What is it?

I have what my neurologist has described as "chronic daily migraine" so I have a headache all day, every day. I'm on a ton of meds (31 Botox shots in the head every three months, 2 shots of Aimovig in the thigh once a month, 600mg gabapentin daily, plus some other Rx stuff and whatever OTC meds I can get my hands on when I'm in pain) so currently my pain level is usually not too high, but it is constant, and I have flareups pretty often.

I feel for people in the past who had chronic illnesses and horrible pain and couldn't do anything about it. Like Darwin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_of_Charles_Darwin

quote:

For over forty years Darwin suffered intermittently from various combinations of symptoms such as: malaise, vertigo, dizziness, muscle spasms and tremors, vomiting, cramps and colics, bloating and nocturnal intestinal gas, headaches, alterations of vision, severe tiredness, nervous exhaustion, dyspnea, skin problems such as blisters all over the scalp and eczema, crying, anxiety, sensation of impending death and loss of consciousness, fainting, tachycardia, insomnia, tinnitus, and depression.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ladyfolk posted:

doctors are trash

I didn't know what endometriosis was so I looked it up, and I think one of the most unnerving things to me is body stuff growing and going where it shouldn't. Still sorry yall have to suffer for us men being trashfires. :smithicide:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm not honestly sure if what I have (had I guess at this point, it's been a few years since my last attack) were migraines or cluster headaches, but the pain was so bad I wanted to take a knife to my temple and gouge out the part of my head that hurt. It's also how I found out I'm apparently one of those unlucky folk who're genetically hosed and don't get any pain relief from morphine at non-ludicrous doses, during a trip to the ER. :toot:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I wrote about that doctor for, oddly enough, Syfy. A big reason his "hey let's wash our hands after handling corpses before we go deliver some babies" idea didn't catch on is because his boss and another popular doctor in the hospital did not like that he was Jewish

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Well, don't hold out on us! What is it?

Just twice the recommended dose of excedrin migraine edition. For some reason pretty much everything else, including Imitrex doesn't do poo poo for me, but one day my parents bought me that and asked me to try it. I did to humor them and it worked. Maybe the happiest I've ever been in my life.

I remember one of the first times I got one I was convinced that pressure would help alleviate the pain. Only problem was that mine feel like someone is shoving an ice pick through the top of my eye socket into my brain. I stopped because I realized I was basically starting to gouge my own eye out to get at the pain.

gently caress cluster headaches and I hope anyone who has them finds a solution for the pain, they're the worst.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Isn't legitimate LSD supposed to help?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wasabi the J posted:

What is this, the Parisian catacombs?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Psilocybin, not LSD. Moderate doses, not enough to make you trip balls. I would've tried it if I could find a source. But yeah, yet another reason I hate the War on Drugs. Getting some magic mushrooms, or even some synthetic analog, could've spared me so many sleepless nights from what I've read.

ranbo das posted:

Just twice the recommended dose of excedrin migraine edition. For some reason pretty much everything else, including Imitrex doesn't do poo poo for me, but one day my parents bought me that and asked me to try it. I did to humor them and it worked. Maybe the happiest I've ever been in my life.

I remember one of the first times I got one I was convinced that pressure would help alleviate the pain. Only problem was that mine feel like someone is shoving an ice pick through the top of my eye socket into my brain. I stopped because I realized I was basically starting to gouge my own eye out to get at the pain.

Yeah, that was me with the head-banging. This goon gets it.

Is that excedrin variety available OTC in the US? What is it called? I don't have health insurance, and while I haven't had an attack in quite some time (knock wood), it'd be nice to have some on hand just in case.

quote:

gently caress cluster headaches and I hope anyone who has them finds a solution for the pain, they're the worst.

Preach. If anyone's in my situation, where they can't get a nice script to help with it: huffing cold air is your friend. Before I had those Imitrex pens, my husband used to wake up at 3 am, because he heard me crying, only to find me in the kitchen sticking my head in the freezer, snorting cold air through my nose and clamping a bag of frozen peas on my eye (I also got the "ice pick through the eye" thing).

If you haven't suffered this, and want to see what it looks like, there are some YouTube videos from cluster headache folks actually going through one. I can't link because I'm on a coal-powered tablet, and really don't want to find it because it's painful for me to watch. But there was a meet-up of cluster sufferers, and someone shot video of this poor guy sobbing like an infant in his hotel room to illustrate just how insanely painful it is.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'm a cis white guy, and I chose my current doctor (a black woman) partially because of the horror stories related to the current discussion.

But yeah, part of it is that most manly men refuse to even see a doctor until they're literally dying, while sensible people will go to the clinic if something's even slightly wrong, but most doctors are manly men, so...

Case in point: my father, about a year ago, was ill for a few weeks, thought it was just a bad cold, and refused to go to the doctor until he was so weak that Mom could force him to get in the car so she could drive him to the ER. He coded in the wheelchair on the way to the exam room.

Blood clots in his lungs, luckily one of the resident docs had dealt with that before and they acted on her hunch and saved him. They said if Mom had dragged him in five minutes later, or if that particular doctor hadn't been in, he wouldn't have made it through the night.

He's fine now, or at least as good as one can be after surviving a tour in Vietnam as a Green Beret, cancer, a heart attack, and the above incident. Like I told Mom when the docs were unsure if he would make it though the night, he's one of those people that Heaven doesn't want, and Hell's afraid he'll take over.*

*Dad being a former Green Beret and me being a former photojournalist, both used to seeing horrible deaths and dealing with it by joking about it, my family has a rather morbid sense of humor.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

What's up, cluster buddy?

Does your pain come in waves of electrical/burning? I ask because this sounds a lot like me. Before I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia they thought I had migraines or cluster headaches, but nope, the nerve in my face is actually hosed up and grinding my teeth at night actually made it worse.

Like I can't even describe the relief after that poo poo subsides. It really is loving orgasmic.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koalas Massacre posted:

Does your pain come in waves of electrical/burning? I ask because this sounds a lot like me. Before I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia they thought I had migraines or cluster headaches, but nope, the nerve in my face is actually hosed up and grinding my teeth at night actually made it worse.

Like I can't even describe the relief after that poo poo subsides. It really is loving orgasmic.

:smithcloud:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of the times I broke my hand I decided I didn't want to go to the doctor and one of my friends had to basically trick me like taking a dog to vet to get me to go. He said we were going to a party, drove me to the ER, and brought out Monopoly for us to play so I wouldn't get bored waiting for the doctor. My bone had already started to mesh together wrong so it hurt a bit when they set it.

In hindsight I probably should have went sooner because my hand was starting to turn this bluish-green color.

I've superglued huge cuts on my body shut instead of going to get stiches. I walked around on a broken ankle for a week, put off going to the doctor when I had pneumonia for almost a week (added stupidity is that I have asthma and was out of my inhaler at the time), got hit in the head with a bat ina fight and woke up with my head glued to my pillow because of the dried blood, but didn't go to the doctor to stitch it up because it was in my hair and I didn't want them to shave a patch.

And I have stories of my friends which make me sound like a sane person.

Never underestimate the stupidity of men in their 20's. We're a loving idiotic bunch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Is that excedrin variety available OTC in the US? What is it called? I don't have health insurance, and while I haven't had an attack in quite some time (knock wood), it'd be nice to have some on hand just in case.

Excedrin Migraine is in fact over the counter. It isn't anything fancy; it's basically just regular OTC pain drugs but more and in a particular cocktail different from normal Excedrin. It also has caffeine because for whatever weird reason it helps with migraines. I think it gets marketed as Excedrin Migraine as they found that that particular cocktail works wonders for a lot of migraine sufferers but nobody has any real idea why. Migraines are very badly understood on the "nobody has any idea what even causes them" kind of way. I have no idea if it will work for clusters but it isn't expensive so gently caress it, give it a whirl and see if it does.

I've never had a prescription for heavy duty migraine meds as EM works just ducky for me. I actually used to keep a bottle with me everywhere I went for just that reason. Most of the time I'd know a migraine was coming on so, as long as I hadn't been drinking, it was time to gobble pills. I don't get migraines nearly as often anymore thankfully. The worst ones would were "I'm going to lay in my bed in a dark room with no noise with a pillow wrapped around my head for 24 hours as this is totally crippling" bad.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife used to take a giant binder clip and pinch the skin around her eyebrow.

Then she got super pregnant, and hasn't had a migraine since.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The worst pain I've ever felt is aerosinusitis, which I started getting while flying in my mid-20's. The first time it happened I thought I was having an aneurysm and dying. After a few minutes of I started hoping that was the case. It feels like starting at the center of your head, everything is shredding from the inside out and your skull is shattering. I was mercifully in a window seat because I kept my face to the window and must've looked loving terrifying: My jaw was fixed open and wide as I could get it in an attempt to relieve pressure, plus I had tears freely streaming down my face. Wasn't even crying, it was just an automatic response.

The full-on pain lasts less than an hour with tremors for a few after, but every time it happens I get so exhausted I sleep for 12+ hours.

The other time I thought my body was going to kill me was when my uterine wall was too thick and flushed with A LOT of blood. I went through 200 mL+ in about 24 hours (S tampons hold 10mL, I was going through them in a little over an hour) and ended up using an old puppy pad to lie on. I couldn't sit up or stand and my limbs started going numb because I'm also anemic! That wasn't painful though. I remember thinking, "Oh. I guess bleeding out isn't such a bad way to die. I'm just cold and sleepy." :v:

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of the times I broke my hand I decided I didn't want to go to the doctor and one of my friends had to basically trick me like taking a dog to vet to get me to go. He said we were going to a party, drove me to the ER, and brought out Monopoly for us to play so I wouldn't get bored waiting for the doctor. My bone had already started to mesh together wrong so it hurt a bit when they set it.

poo poo like that was a huge problem in my family/ community growing up, and I still see it to a point today. All my child hood I heard " don't get hurt because we don't have the money to take you to a doctor", usually said in the shittyest tone. Eventually you internalize it and that's just what life is. Don't complain, walk it off, say it doesn't really hurt and refuse treatment. I actually got in an argument with my mom at 15 because i said i had bits of rocks and metal embedded in my body from childhood injuries, she tried to call my bluff and took me to the doctor where the doctor looked at her like the worlds worst parent when my x-rays showed poo poo in my legs and shoulders. She got really mad later and said they would have taken me to the doctor, but what the gently caress did i know? I had been hearing that poo poo for over a goddamn decade since before I could walk . That poo poo is so baked in now that i'm pushing forty and I'm still a little bothered by going to the doctor because a small part of my brain is still convinced a common trip to the doctor is gonna give me a loving life destroying bill.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WaywardWoodwose posted:

poo poo like that was a huge problem in my family/ community growing up, and I still see it to a point today. All my child hood I heard " don't get hurt because we don't have the money to take you to a doctor", usually said in the shittyest tone. Eventually you internalize it and that's just what life is. Don't complain, walk it off, say it doesn't really hurt and refuse treatment. I actually got in an argument with my mom at 15 because i said i had bits of rocks and metal embedded in my body from childhood injuries, she tried to call my bluff and took me to the doctor where the doctor looked at her like the worlds worst parent when my x-rays showed poo poo in my legs and shoulders. She got really mad later and said they would have taken me to the doctor, but what the gently caress did i know? I had been hearing that poo poo for over a goddamn decade since before I could walk . That poo poo is so baked in now that i'm pushing forty and I'm still a little bothered by going to the doctor because a small part of my brain is still convinced a common trip to the doctor is gonna give me a loving life destroying bill.

Unfortunately that's often true. It's really problematic because there are things that seem minor but are actually huge drat deals. That was especially true in the days that your insurance, if you even had it in the first place, could just go "lol pre-existing condition gently caress you" and refuse to cover it.

And I say that as somebody that's had stitch-worthy injuries but just kind of always tend them myself. If it doesn't bleed more than a day then it's obviously fine even though that's a really stupid opinion to have. Infection can set in and you can lose a whole lot of blood in 24 hours if you hit something important enough.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thinking the days of insurance refusing claims are over. Did somebody manage to dodge the high deductible fairy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Same. I've got really good insurance and can afford any copay I may get saddled with, but I still avoid going to the doctor for anything besides my asthma stuff because I have an irrational fear that they're gonna find something terrible and my life will fall apart. I'm terrified of dentists (I'd say bordering on a phobia, have to keep one foot on the ground the whole time in case I need to get away), but still force myself to see one at least once a year.

Taking care of myself isn't one of my strong suits I guess. Good thing I'm funny.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Terrible Opinions posted:

Thinking the days of insurance refusing claims are over. Did somebody manage to dodge the high deductible fairy?

There are out of pocket maximums now and the pre-existing condition thing can't be done anymore. Yes I know that high deductible plans are a thing and it sucks. What I was specifically referring to was times where you'd end up with a big rear end medical bill and the insurance company would look at your history. If you had any time period at all where you weren't insured they'd go "this is a pre-existing condition so we won't cover it at all." Like people with full coverage benefits were having to eat medical costs because insurance was just going "lol eat poo poo." Other times if you like came down with cancer or something they'd just plain drop your rear end. They're not allowed to do that anymore.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Nov 10, 2018

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
When I was around sixteen my family finally got dental insurance I had eight cavities that were years and years old, like some from six years old on. The dentist was shocked because he said I had to be in immense pain, but i was just used to it by then. that was just life. i think thats probably a part of why people downplay ladies pain. poo poo like this absolutely did not play out this way with my female relatives, whereas unless a boy was straight up bleeding or had a bone sticking out they were just being a whiny pussy if they complained, those boys grow up to be the men who drive themselves to the hospital when they lose a finger and wont say poo poo about it because they were raised that way.

It's weird, i've read two different articles about this in the past week, and they specifically mention heart attacks and people not recognizing them in women, but i've heard a scary amount of first hand stories from men where they had a heart attack and their spouse didn't believe them. A cousin of mine seriously thought about ending his marriage over it. He had a heart attack at TWENTY SIX ( he knew it was a heart attack because it runs in that part of the family, more than a few had one before their mid thirties) and his wife refused to take him to the doctor, said it was probably just gas and he was being a baby. Eventually he said "If I have to drag myself to the phone to call an ambulance you better not loving be here when I get back" and she took him. Its so creepy to think about him dying in front of his wife, while she was just upset because he was being a whiny inconvenience.

WaywardWoodwose has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Nov 10, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Going from the Medicaid I'm on, for the most part they'll cover a shitload. Broke my radial and needed surgery, they covered everything. Had kidney stones happen, went septic to where I was hospitalized on IV antibiotics and still don't remember a week in September along with surgery for the stones, they covered everything except one of the probiotics I was prescribed for when I was at home on Cipro. For the excessive skin removal I'm going to eventually need, it'll cover everything if I'm getting yeast infections in the folds otherwise it's ruled elective surgery.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Man it really is a whole different world. I'm not being smug, I'm just kind of horrified for you guys.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

HopperUK posted:

Man it really is a whole different world. I'm not being smug, I'm just kind of horrified for you guys.

Hundreds of thousands of people going bankrupt or dying from minor medical problems every year is just the price of freedom. :911:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Koalas Massacre posted:

What's up, bruxism buddy? I've actually had multiple partners over the years say they needed to sleep on the couch because the sound of me grinding my teeth at night is so horrible.

So yeah, I suffer bruxism as well (if I smile showing my teeth, I look like a loving plant-eating dinosaur, because they're all flat from being ground down), but that wasn't what was causing my headaches. I'm just doomed to suffer pain in my head/face area, I guess.

The daily pain I get from my trigeminal poo poo does come and go in electric waves like you said. But it's no match for cluster headaches, which come on with no rhyme or reason and go "HEY FUCKER! GET READY FOR EXTREEEEME PAIN!"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are out of pocket maximums now and the pre-existing condition thing can't be done anymore. Yes I know that high deductible plans are a thing and it sucks. What I was specifically referring to was times where you'd end up with a big rear end medical bill and the insurance company would look at your history. If you had any time period at all where you weren't insured they'd go "this is a pre-existing condition so we won't cover it at all." Like people with full coverage benefits were having to eat medical costs because insurance was just going "lol eat poo poo." Other times if you like came down with cancer or something they'd just plain drop your rear end. They're not allowed to do that anymore.
Yeah it's good that doesn't happen anymore but I literally have to pay more than my entire yearly house payment before my insurance will pay for anything. I will be well and truly bankrupt before they start covering stuff, at which point I really don't give much of a poo poo. I still avoid the doctor and just kinda hope for the best.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
wow i didn't know other people ground their teeth flat

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Excedrin Migraine is in fact over the counter. It isn't anything fancy; it's basically just regular OTC pain drugs but more and in a particular cocktail different from normal Excedrin. It also has caffeine because for whatever weird reason it helps with migraines. I think it gets marketed as Excedrin Migraine as they found that that particular cocktail works wonders for a lot of migraine sufferers but nobody has any real idea why.

i used to be a sales rep for Excedrin. The regular extra-strength is the same as the migraine-branded version, and a dollar cheaper.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Chillbro Baggins posted:

i used to be a sales rep for Excedrin. The regular extra-strength is the same as the migraine-branded version, and a dollar cheaper.

We fined a company here in :australia: for doing exactly that a few years ago. It's not a big fine at all but you're still not allowed to do that sort of thing.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I think the migraine branded ones have caffeine in them

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I think the migraine branded ones have caffeine in them

All excedrin does, it’s just caffeine + ibuprofen, because the two in combination work better for headaches than either one alone. They’ve got some weird synergistic effects or something.

Get a 500-pack of ibuprofen and a bottle of caffeine pills and you’ll get the exact same effect at a third of the price, or less.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Huh. Well, I used the migraine version and the regular version. Regular didn't do the job. Guess it's time to go for extra strength instead.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Excedrin also has paracetemol/Tylenol in addition to the ibuprofen and caffeine.

Edit: acetominefen, that's the American word for it. Phonetically, at least, I forget how to spell it.

But yeah every box of Excedrin stronger than regular is the same. As opposed to Tylenol, who I also used to represent, which has regular, extra-strength (=two regular) and arthritis ( it's not like you really need a liver) varieties.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Nov 11, 2018

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Pain-haver solidarity. I'm 33 and have had endo since forever. I wrote a lot about my struggles to get my tubes tied many years ago in one of the birth control threads.

A kind of tmi summary. :nms: for gross body stuff. where I fought for years ('you're too young! You'll change your mind!') to the first surgery and them finding the endo and completely loving it up because of how much scar tissue was in there, to a second surgery to 'fix' the first that turned into them having to cut me hip to hip and carefully detatch my bladder from my uterus because they had cozied up with scar tissue (and then REMOVING the clips but still leaving all my bits in there??? But taking my appendix 'just in case') to me finding a new doctor who, when I told her all of this fuckery was like "What the hell, why didn't they give you a hysterectomy?" and promptly got that on the books.

When she went in, what she expected to be a 2 hour at most surgery turned into SIX HOURS because the previous surgeons had cut and hacked so much random crap, which caused the endo to grow even worse on all the NEW scar tissue. One of my ovaries was missing. Like, they had to stop the surgery and check records to make sure it wasn't previously removed. They later found it in a giant, hard black mass of tissue adhered to my abdominal wall, completely adrift of it's felopuian tube.

She told me she has never in her life seen someone with endometriosis as bas as my insides. Oh, and they didn't do the full hysterectomy because SHE was afraid to cut me even more because of what she had seen on the previous cuts. All I have left is the cervical whatever and SURPRISE I still have periods??? The best that we've been able to figure is there are endometriosis lesions in me SOMEWHERE making their own little estrogen factories so basically I'm hosed to suffer forever. Rip.

Endometriosis can go to hell.

I also get cluster migraines. At least with those a loving naritriptan knocks me out until it passes. Pain is subjective, but tbh between the two they're pretty loving equal at the worst.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I feel for the people suffering itt, I once accidentally killed someone and he was positioned just so that he sprayed me with blood and it got in my mouth and since that day stopped sleeping and I have a thirst for more and more, I’ve been working triple shifts five jobs and haunting bus stops in between feeding on strangers in newer and newer locales staying just ahead of the heat so I get it