Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Dems may have totally shut the GOP out of Orange County, it is with great happiness that I can announce that the planned OC gulags will no longer be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

freckle posted:

him doing this is a good thing whether he has a chance or not IMO

If nothing else, "Count all the votes even if I lose" is a better look than, "Stop counting votes because I might lose."

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

KickerOfMice posted:

Post-apocalyptic, eh?

There was one video (I won't post it bc it's :nms: to gently caress) of a dude who was in a group of cars trying to escape that got overrun, he somehow made it but he filmed the convoy of cars after and each car had a charred skeleton in it. It's loving bad.

The Woolsey fire took my mom's house, and the pictures i'm seeing of the neighborhood straight up looks like a nuke went off. It's amazing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

themrguy posted:

Dems may have totally shut the GOP out of Orange County, it is with great happiness that I can announce that the planned OC gulags will no longer be necessary.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1061362694194900992

hey bret stephens should we still take your advice lmao

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

There was one video (I won't post it bc it's :nms: to gently caress) of a dude who was in a group of cars trying to escape that got overrun, he somehow made it but he filmed the convoy of cars after and each car had a charred skeleton in it. It's loving bad.

The Woolsey fire took my mom's house, and the pictures i'm seeing of the neighborhood straight up looks like a nuke went off. It's amazing

Be safe, my dude.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

It may be "lazy", but it's not wrong, and the fact that it's "dems bad" doesn't mean you can just handwave it away. The fact of the matter is that the Dems controlled Congress for most of the second half of the 20th century, at times reaching supermajority levels (not just 60 votes, but 66+ votes for an actual 2/3rds-supermajority). I count at least eleven Congressional terms since WWII where the Dems controlled both houses of Congress and the presidency. The reason we don't have a public option, more than six decades after the first bill suggesting one was written, is because the Democrats have failed to rally behind one.

With a brief exception after 1964, much of the Democratic majorities of the second half of the 20th century were propped up by tons of seats held by very conservative Southern congressmen who were more than happy to stonewall progressive policy and work with Republicans. Compare the baseline to the short bursts of government expansion in the 30’s, mid-60’s and late 2000’s when Democrats had more progressive caucuses.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Motto posted:

:stare: seeing some pictures/reports on the cali fires and holy poo poo

I'm about 200 miles away and I can tell I'm breathing smoke outside

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

KickerOfMice posted:

Be safe, my dude.

I'm in Texas drinking after a football game, my mom beelined it to Phoenix. Everyone's safe, but the biggest casualty for our family is the huge notebook of recipes my mom kept for is gone

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rednik posted:

With a brief exception after 1964, much of the Democratic majorities of the second half of the 20th century were propped up by tons of seats held by very conservative Southern congressmen who were more than happy to stonewall progressive policy and work with Republicans. Compare the baseline to the short bursts of government expansion in the 30’s, mid-60’s and late 2000’s when Democrats had more progressive caucuses.

progressive socially but the watergate babies were hands off when it came to big business.

How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul
In the 1970s, a new wave of post-Watergate liberals stopped fighting monopoly power. The result is an increasingly dangerous political system.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rednik posted:

In other words, dems bad?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

I'm in Texas drinking after a football game, my mom beelined it to Phoenix. Everyone's safe, but the biggest casualty for our family is the huge notebook of recipes my mom kept for is gone

Forgive me, I live in Squirrel Hill, every time I hear a siren my spine goes flat.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to think dems are bad.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Cece90265/status/1061056733898924032

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1061362694194900992

hey bret stephens should we still take your advice lmao

Good, because I've always liked places like Irvine (going to UCI was my first choice back in HS), and it's nice to see Republicans no longer polluting it (at least within congress).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

b-minus1 posted:

1.8 million "other" votes jfc

Top-two primary means a lot of races have a Republican/Democrat against a third party. If I had to choose between a Republican and say a Libertarian I would vote for the Libertarian as a protest vote.

Edit: Oh just noticed that graph is nationwide, nevermind.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

progressive socially but the watergate babies were hands off when it came to big business.

How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul
In the 1970s, a new wave of post-Watergate liberals stopped fighting monopoly power. The result is an increasingly dangerous political system.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

Yep—Watergate led to a big wave that amounted to nothing and then was subsumed by Reagan.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

KickerOfMice posted:

Forgive me, I live in Squirrel Hill, every time I hear a siren my spine goes flat.

Don't worry, buddy. As long as you take that energy you feel and transform it into something productive or something beautiful, the world is going to be a better place :glomp:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Motto posted:

:stare: seeing some pictures/reports on the cali fires and holy poo poo

And despite what Trump says, the Camp Fire is likely caused by the investor owned utility (pg&e) refusing to trim trees and then refusing to turn off the power when the wind gusts got dangerous.

This is at least the 9th fire in 2 years they've caused this way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If it's a settled issue we can't have a thread free of dems bad chat can I now request we get a wordfilter to at least change the stupid word "dems" to something funny?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"climate change isn't real" i say loudly watching a guy narrating his video of his neighbor's and the neighbor's mom's charred skeletons in their car.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If it's a settled issue we can't have a thread free of dems bad chat can I now request we get a wordfilter to at least change the stupid word "dems" to something funny?

how about demonrats???

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

"climate change isn't real" i say loudly watching a guy narrating his video of his neighbor's and the neighbor's mom's charred skeletons in their car.

Comment section blaming pre-Trump EPA for banning controlled fires.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

just a regular day in california its always this hot

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

In other words, dems bad?

I think it’s the opposite. When Dems actually have meaningful numbers in Congress (beyond a Dinesh D’Souza-esque cursory look at party labels), they’ve been fairly productive. Those periods of time have been brief, gains were poorly consolidated and they generated quite a bit of backlash. I would have loved for Obama to have at least another 2 years to work with a Democratic House.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

how about demonrats???

Democraps. Or, if you're particularly clever, dumb-o-craps (no hyphens)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Groovelord Neato posted:

how about demonrats???

climate change is probably a secondary culprit in this here particular case, even aside from Trabs' note it is my understanding that even before modern levels of widespread human habitation wildfires there were a pretty routine event

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

Did You hear what I said? DEMONRATS

Good lord that "judge" jeneanie

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/mattyhoyeCNN/status/1061372347804987392

https://twitter.com/mattyhoyeCNN/status/1061373431294423040

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 10, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So it's a normal day for him?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Steve Bannon had promised him a thousand-year reich permanent Republican majority and now he's surly.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rednik posted:

I think it’s the opposite. When Dems actually have meaningful numbers in Congress (beyond a Dinesh D’Souza-esque cursory look at party labels), they’ve been fairly productive. Those periods of time have been brief, gains were poorly consolidated and they generated quite a bit of backlash. I would have loved for Obama to have at least another 2 years to work with a Democratic House.

You just voluntarily invoked Dinesh loving D’Souza to define your party.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Your Taint posted:

illiterate, tax-cheating, wife-swapping, pot-smoking spendocrats

Kobayashi posted:

...As an example of what not to do, yes he did.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

HEY

we are no longer illiterate

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Please, :frogon:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

I'd say that's an insane effort to post something on twitter. What the gently caress are you doing standing there! "Gosh look at that fire!" Get the gently caress out!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kobayashi posted:

That was clearly not a positive comparison.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my favorite moment of the trump administration was the realization that the un general assembly isn't one of his rallies and they'll laugh at the dumb poo poo he says.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unormal posted:

I'm starting to think dems are bad.

wait till you see what I heard about em!

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/1053023848772378625?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1053023848772378625

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i bet you thats the reason he skipped today. because he doesn't want to share the spotlight. loving rear end in a top hat.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

my favorite moment of the trump administration was the realization that the un general assembly isn't one of his rallies and they'll laugh at the dumb poo poo he says.

No, no, they were laughing with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they lie with every breath but holy poo poo this is blatant trash.

https://twitter.com/calvinstowell/status/1061346597735411713