Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm doing something dumb but I don't know what. Fresh MBP with XCode 10.1 on Mojave, fresh pull from github, and I error out right away with

code:

Showing Recent Messages
:-1: /Users/subjunctive/src/Awful.app/Xcode/Config/Common.xcconfig:4: could not find included file '../Local.xcconfig' in search paths (in target 'Core')

Am I just supposed to create a dummy file?

Yep, sorry. It’s mentioned in the read me I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the what me?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Post view: when I tap an entry in the Leper’s Colony or on a rap sheet, the post view loads blank. Going back a page and then forward displays the page fine.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just noticed this today but anytime I have the app open it’s continuously using data in the background, whether on WiFi or cellular. It’s definitely the app and not anything else, it stops when I go out to home screen or another app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How are you monitoring that?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The active data spinner next to the WiFi symbol doesn’t stop spinning for as long as the app is open.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could you try long-pressing the home button into Siri and backing out, to see if that makes the spinner stop?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Subjunctive posted:

Could you try long-pressing the home button into Siri and backing out, to see if that makes the spinner stop?

Going into Siri and backing out didn’t work, but manually closing the app and restarting seems to have fixed it for now, even though it didn’t before. I’ll check in if it starts up again.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The platinum grenade looks like it's been squished to half its intended width.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve noticed that from time to time lately and the only thing that stops it is to kill the app

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

New post view: when advancing to the next page of a thread, I get a black view while things are loaded, then a flash of the old content, then it’s replaced by the new content.

This got a little bit better on the latest beta but it's still bad. I'm pondering how to handle it; apparently waiting for document.readyState === 'interactive' doesn't cut it.

Subjunctive posted:

Am I just supposed to create a dummy file?

Made this better on master branch. Turns out .xcconfig files have a conditional include!

dummy

Grace Baiting posted:

I like the "Copy Title" button on thread listings (including the icon!), but could you add some similar functionality when you're already viewing a single thread? Like adding the same "itt..." button within the share thread menu form the bottom-right ⬆️-button -- or take a page from embedded-Safari where a long-press on the disabled URL field opens a "copy" button box. Or both! Both would also be nice 👍

Good point! I'll add it to the list.

quote:

Another request I have is to restore the simple "Open" button when you long-press on a link! [a good example]

Yeah I think I'm finally sold on this.

Nude posted:

Since we are talking about requests, I would like to mention having the option for when you start scrolling in a long thread the ui fades away. Similar to how scrolling works in the safari app.

Always been a good idea! It's surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly) difficult to do this well, but I do still want to do it.

Subjunctive posted:

Post view: when I tap an entry in the Leper’s Colony or on a rap sheet, the post view loads blank. Going back a page and then forward displays the page fine.

Thanks!

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Just noticed this today but anytime I have the app open it’s continuously using data in the background, whether on WiFi or cellular. It’s definitely the app and not anything else, it stops when I go out to home screen or another app.

Super Grocery Kart posted:

The active data spinner next to the WiFi symbol doesn’t stop spinning for as long as the app is open.

It's possible Awful is doing networking things, but it's also possible I hosed up hiding the indicator :) I'll make a note! If you happen to notice it goes back to always-spinning mode after doing something in particular in the app, definitely let me know.

spanky the dolphin posted:

The platinum grenade looks like it's been squished to half its intended width.

That whole region of a post gets pretty hosed up :( I'll poke around!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Brain Curry posted:

If it doesn’t work from other apps you need to reset the universal link. You might be able to do it via long press, or scrolling down in safari and hitting the open button, but I think I had to uninstall twitter to fix it when I had the issue.

I reinstalled twitter, no dice - whenever I long press a twitter link and tap “open in twitter”, it goes to safari instead. Any ideas?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Tap to play GIFs seem to be acting funky in the beta. Here's a post full of them as an example: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870242&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post489532519

This might just be those particular gifs, which may not even be gifs (or at least Imgur is refusing to send an actual animated gif)? They're busted in the App Store version too. I'll make a note but probably won't be fixed in the beta.

BBJoey posted:

I reinstalled twitter, no dice - whenever I long press a twitter link and tap “open in twitter”, it goes to safari instead. Any ideas?

When it goes to Safari, if you scroll down a bit do you get the app banner at the top that says "Open in Twitter"? If you tap that, it might switch back to opening in Twitter.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Feature request reminder: option to turn off auto timg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crime on a Dime posted:

Feature request reminder: option to turn off auto timg

Is this because of the conventions in a specific subforum, or a general need?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

it's already on The List

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

There are some use cases mentioned in the GitHub issue, if it helps. I haven't figured what exactly to implement here, so more use cases are welcome!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Lowtax or somebody added the couple of lines of CSS that make timg unnecessary several years ago anyway. (I almost never use the forums outside of the app these days though, so I wouldn't know if it had been reverted at some point.)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Pages that contain deleted tweets now render the rest of the tweets correctly! Thank you!!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm pretty sure Lowtax or somebody added the couple of lines of CSS that make timg unnecessary several years ago anyway. (I almost never use the forums outside of the app these days though, so I wouldn't know if it had been reverted at some point.)

The only reason I leave it in, and would keep it as the default after adding a setting, is because it’s still in the rules, and I don’t want someone to get punished because Awful wasn’t following the rules.

It makes sense to overrule the default via a setting though. And it might make sense to allow changing it case-by-case (not sure of the UI for it, or whether it’d be worth the effort).

GutBomb posted:

Pages that contain deleted tweets now render the rest of the tweets correctly! Thank you!!!

:toot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GutBomb posted:

:dance: Much obliged!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Beta? I just had tweets not load on the app store version.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Content flash on page change is gone, excellent.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Beta? I just had tweets not load on the app store version.

Yep. Part of a big (though ideally invisible) change to the posts view, so I'm giving some time to ironing out the bugs. At this rate I’ll probably send it off to App Review this weekend?

edit: also there’s plenty of room on the beta if anyone wants in, just PM me an email address (doesn’t need to be associated with an Apple ID).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Yep. Part of a big (though ideally invisible) change to the posts view, so I'm giving some time to ironing out the bugs. At this rate I’ll probably send it off to App Review this weekend?

edit: also there’s plenty of room on the beta if anyone wants in, just PM me an email address (doesn’t need to be associated with an Apple ID).

That’s great!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think the latest beta is having issues playing gifs. Not all of them, but some of them are frozen on the first frame.

Also, minor update to the leper icon here.

e: actually I think the gifs are fine

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 12, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Not a huge deal but is it possible to have animated images continue to animate while scrolling? I have a habit of reading while just scrolling really slowly constantly and that makes animated images not work. They work fine the moment I stop scrolling, of course.

I'm using the app store version if that helps.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

pokeyman posted:

The only reason I leave it in, and would keep it as the default after adding a setting, is because it’s still in the rules, and I don’t want someone to get punished because Awful wasn’t following the rules.

It makes sense to overrule the default via a setting though. And it might make sense to allow changing it case-by-case (not sure of the UI for it, or whether it’d be worth the effort).

:toot:

just an option to override the default would be great. timg is annoying to many

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shortspecialbus posted:

Not a huge deal but is it possible to have animated images continue to animate while scrolling? I have a habit of reading while just scrolling really slowly constantly and that makes animated images not work. They work fine the moment I stop scrolling, of course.

Not really -- it's something the OS webview does underneath us.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Subjunctive posted:

Not really -- it's something the OS webview does underneath us.

Alas. Thanks!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
are spoilers broken in the new beta for anyone else??

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

GenericGirlName posted:

are spoilers broken in the new beta for anyone else??

working for me, here at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baram. posted:

working for me, here at least.

same

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Guess I'm gonna reinstall. See y'all on the other side.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Works now. C ya.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

OH HEY I just wanted to say thanks lots for fixing the "[/..]" bug with nested tags recently-ish!   :dance:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
EMBEDDED TWITTER VIDEOS ARE WORKING AGAIN IN THE BETA.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

PRAISE JESUS

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

THERE IS A GOD AND HE IS GOOD AND JUST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Woo :toot: from second hand info thanks for going through what I'm sure was a hassle/not fun.