Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"love to bathe in fire retardant chemicals while standing inside my on fire neighborhood" -some loving twitter moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

Do not start a food derail tia

How about a health care policy and capitalism derail

quote:

Medicine has long resisted the productivity revolutions that transformed other industries. But the new chains aim to change this.

It was Saturday night, and I was at the local Cheesecake Factory with my two teen-age daughters and three of their friends. You may know the chain: a hundred and sixty restaurants with a catalogue-like menu that, when I did a count, listed three hundred and eight dinner items (including the forty-nine on the “Skinnylicious” menu), plus a hundred and twenty-four choices of beverage. It’s a linen-napkin-and-tablecloth sort of place, but with something for everyone. There’s wine and wasabi-crusted ahi tuna, but there’s also buffalo wings and Bud Light. The kids ordered mostly comfort food—pot stickers, mini crab cakes, teriyaki chicken, Hawaiian pizza, pasta carbonara. I got a beet salad with goat cheese, white-bean hummus and warm flatbread, and the miso salmon.

The place is huge, but it’s invariably packed, and you can see why. The typical entrée is under fifteen dollars. The décor is fancy, in an accessible, Disney-cruise-ship sort of way: faux Egyptian columns, earth-tone murals, vaulted ceilings. The waiters are efficient and friendly. They wear all white (crisp white oxford shirt, pants, apron, sneakers) and try to make you feel as if it were a special night out. As for the food—can I say this without losing forever my chance of getting a reservation at Per Se?—it was delicious.

The chain serves more than eighty million people per year. I pictured semi-frozen bags of beet salad shipped from Mexico, buckets of precooked pasta and production-line hummus, fish from a box. And yet nothing smacked of mass production. My beets were crisp and fresh, the hummus creamy, the salmon like butter in my mouth. No doubt everything we ordered was sweeter, fattier, and bigger than it had to be. But the Cheesecake Factory knows its customers. The whole table was happy (with the possible exception of Ethan, aged sixteen, who picked the onions out of his Hawaiian pizza).

I wondered how they pulled it off. I asked one of the Cheesecake Factory line cooks how much of the food was premade. He told me that everything’s pretty much made from scratch—except the cheesecake, which actually is from a cheesecake factory, in Calabasas, California.

I’d come from the hospital that day. In medicine, too, we are trying to deliver a range of services to millions of people at a reasonable cost and with a consistent level of quality. Unlike the Cheesecake Factory, we haven’t figured out how. Our costs are soaring, the service is typically mediocre, and the quality is unreliable. Every clinician has his or her own way of doing things, and the rates of failure and complication (not to mention the costs) for a given service routinely vary by a factor of two or three, even within the same hospital.

It’s easy to mock places like the Cheesecake Factory—restaurants that have brought chain production to complicated sit-down meals. But the “casual dining sector,” as it is known, plays a central role in the ecosystem of eating, providing three-course, fork-and-knife restaurant meals that most people across the country couldn’t previously find or afford. The ideas start out in élite, upscale restaurants in major cities. You could think of them as research restaurants, akin to research hospitals. Some of their enthusiasms—miso salmon, Chianti-braised short ribs, flourless chocolate espresso cake—spread to other high-end restaurants. Then the casual-dining chains reëngineer them for affordable delivery to millions. Does health care need something like this?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/13/big-med

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

dunno if anyone shared this but it's incredibly moving.

https://twitter.com/2ndBestPodcast/status/1060882690709303298

Imagine how the families of the people killed by that last shot must feel, knowing that their fathers/brothers/sons died hours after their leaders decided that the war was over but seconds before the paperwork wended its way through the proper channels.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

wasnt trying to just trying to understand and humanize regressives and their lovely child like pattle.

It didnt work. I had a prelection campaign event at some Middleeaster place and while I wasn't super adventurist, I at least filled up on pita and chickpeas.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

withak posted:

Imagine how the families of the people killed by that last shot must feel, knowing that their fathers/brothers/sons died hours after their leaders decided that the war was over but seconds before the paperwork wended its way through the proper channels.

America's greatest win in the war of 1812 happened a month after the peace treaty was signed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

re: Florida recount ballot design

this piece contains a very reassuring quote, which is that ballots from Broward that've been counted in the past few days don't have the same systematic undervote as previous ones from election night

so Elias claims that's a good sign that it's not just a problem with voters missing the Senate box because of poor ballots, and points to it being a problem with the machines themselves that would be very good for Nelson in a recount

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1061399208907997189

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

withak posted:

if i remember, both sides diplomats hosed about for a while and the german high command being the reactionary assholes they were pulled some bullshit so the civilian goverment had to surrender first so they could score bullshit points.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

pretty rude stuff, but ok.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/931373170791198720?s=19

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/AndrewPollackFL/status/1061263711078359040

Welcome to the Republican party.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/931396465402015744

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm deeply worried from the first couple paragraphs that this is Tom Friedman

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wow, um, can he read? did he see what party his daughter's killer joined. i feel all kinda mixed emotions toward this dude. mostly its a mix of anger and pity.

https://twitter.com/AndrewPollackFL/status/1061325572050223104

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

this is honestly very good

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the framing of "In medicine, too, we are trying to deliver a range of services to millions of people at a reasonable cost and with a consistent level of quality. Unlike the Cheesecake Factory, we haven’t figured out how" is absurd. every other developed country has figured out ways to do healthcare with better coverage for half of the cost minimum. reasonably priced universal healthcare is a solved problem, but the people who profit from our wasteful system have enough clout to make copying any other country's system politically impossible.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wow, um, can he read? did he see what party his daughter's killer joined. i feel all kinda mixed emotions toward this dude. mostly its a mix of anger and pity.

https://twitter.com/AndrewPollackFL/status/1061325572050223104

also maybe we shouldn't strip voting rights away from people before they're convicted of a crime

also maybe we should never strip voting rights from people

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

Not a histroy buff/expert, but to bring things slightly closer to the present, the cold war is still having fallout since Putin is a Cold War warrior, and Donnie and his boomer shits are all lead brain shits that have irrational fears and obsessions with The End coming.

Hell Donnie's brain is still stuck in the 80s with his weirdo japanese yellow peril poo poo.

e: also I dont get why YTs love chain restaurant like Cheesecake Factory.

good (real) restaurant advice is to keep your menu lean because you can only make so many things at a good/high quality. Never mind that chain resturants with massive dozen page menus just have a freezer with everything that they just heat up and then finish cooking(?). Good job buying microwave food.

i was the head of prep for the center city philadelphia cheesecake factory for a little while and get this: all the food there is made from scratch. the workers bust their rear end on producing their 300+ bland items in an environment of total chaos for like 11 dollars an hour and they rotate through staff faster than any restaurant ive ever worked at and they blatantly violate philadelphia city labor laws re: sick time but all the food is actually produced from scratch and actually contains what they say it does. they throw away so much food you'd poo poo yourself in embarassment at the waste.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
im pretty sure the restaurant is a massive front for something because no restaurant would be able to survive the losses cheesecake factory seems to operate with as a baseline

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

aint that the guy that lost his daughter and is still a moron on guns.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Parents posted:

i was the head of prep for the center city philadelphia cheesecake factory for a little while and get this: all the food there is made from scratch. the workers bust their rear end on producing their 300+ bland items in an environment of total chaos for like 11 dollars an hour and they rotate through staff faster than any restaurant ive ever worked at and they blatantly violate philadelphia city labor laws re: sick time but all the food is actually produced from scratch and actually contains what they say it does. they throw away so much food you'd poo poo yourself in embarassment at the waste.

Did you report the labor violations or would it not matter?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Their ballots were likely identical. Except for the felon franchise part, maybe.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 11, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Did you report the labor violations or would it not matter?

i did but god knows if it went anywhere. i did the best i could constantly bitching about wages and trying to get the employees to unionize before i left

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1060926924036431873

quote:

Whitmer was hosted at a fundraiser thrown by lobbyists for Blue Cross Blue Shield. She netted $144,000 during a single day at the event.

The company’s interest in the race came as no surprise, as Whitmer’s chief rival, former Detroit public health chief Abdul El-Sayed, was campaigning on establishing a statewide single-payer health care system. Essentially, he was running to put the company out of business.

But it appears that Blue Cross Blue Shield gained more than just the defeat of single payer. This week, Whitmer won the governor’s mansion, putting the state back in the Democratic column. She quickly announced the composition of her transition team.

One of the “honorary co-chairs” is Daniel Loepp, the president and CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.

In a 2015 interview, Whitmer credited Loepp with being the first person to suggest that she enter politics, back when he worked in the state legislature.

During the campaign, Gretchen Whitmer — whose father is Richard Whitmer, formerly the head of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan — was defensive against criticisms that she was too close to the health insurance giant. “It’s extremely sexist to say that a woman is beholden to her father’s former employer,” she told CNN.

quote:

Kemp announced Thursday that his transition team would be led by David Dove, Kemp’s former legal counsel and chief of staff. More recently, Dove was added to the new lobbying arm of the litigation and regulatory law firm Robbins Ross Alloy Belinfante Littlefield LLC.

The newly minted Robbins Government Relations Group opened October 2, just over a month before the election. In an interview with a legal publication, partner Josh Belinfante explained why the firm decided to open a lobbying arm. He emphasized the potential to influence regulations.

“A lot of our clients’ problems can be resolved through the legislative branch more easily and effectively than through the judicial branch,” Belinfante said. “Or our clients may have a win in the judicial branch that may need to be protected in the legislature — particularly clients who are highly regulated, and particularly when legislation or regulations pass that govern what they do.”

According to disclosures, Dove is not currently registered to lobby. But presumably, the firm’s clients now have a chain of communication to the man responsible for staffing the next governor’s mansion. The Intercept reached out to the firm and to Dove to ask if he would be taking a leave of absence while serving on the transition team, but they have not yet responded.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Parents posted:

i did but god knows if it went anywhere. i did the best i could constantly bitching about wages and trying to get the employees to unionize before i left

That’s tragic. A least you tried. The restaurant industry is horrible, I had one job in a restaurant and it wasn’t personally terrible but I would never wanna go back if I have the choice.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i wish openly corrupt pieces of poo poo weren't allowed to be democrats

nerox
May 20, 2001

Wicked Them Beats posted:

lol they were going to call the new town Eagle's Landing.

Did they get the idea from Parks & Rec?

I immediately thought of the Eagle's Nest myself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kehlsteinhaus

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

also maybe we shouldn't strip voting rights away from people before they're convicted of a crime

agreed. i just meant my feelings specifically toward him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

i wish openly corrupt pieces of poo poo weren't allowed to be democrats

Condiv the job destroyer, wanting to put hard working congresspeople out of a job. :(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Rubio status: still having a normal one.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1061403596183519232

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

It could happen though which is bullshit but :shrug:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sinema has increased her lead from 18,000 to 24,000.

Huge Maricopa count about to be posted as well.

Lol @ fascist reactions in twitter

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Sinema has increased her lead from 18,000 to 24,000.

Huge Maricopa count about to be posted as well.

Lol @ fascist reactions in twitter

:yeshaha:

if she wins it will be epic

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

eke out posted:

using my daughter's death because i'm a heartless ghoul to own the libs

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Strange Poon posted:

using my daughter's death because i'm a heartless ghoul to own the libs

We in D&D are all too familiar with a parent using their child’s high profile murder to Own the Libs.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

I was not expected to get this invested and enthralled by a Cheesecake Factory story. I went to a CF once, and never came back, and this encapsulates all of the reasons why. It's a great metaphor for Trumpist America: gaudy, overindulgent with a false veneer of middle America.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shouldn't they want it to be about bad ballot design causing voters to miss the box? The undervote is clearly abnormal.

"Well, it sucks that you appear to have lost because of a technicality but it's not our fault, we don't redo elections in America. Better luck next time."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i really don't feel for that guy. if you won't accept it's guns after your daughter is murdered you're loving braindead.

there's a brother of one of the sandy hook kids who's anti-gun control and has met with trump and it just comes off as ghoulish to me.

these people are actively working to make sure more people suffer the same tragedy they did.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sinema’s up over 28k!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ague Proof posted:

Shouldn't they want it to be about bad ballot design causing voters to miss the box? The undervote is clearly abnormal.

"Well, it sucks that you appear to have lost because of a technicality but it's not our fault, we don't redo elections in America. Better luck next time."

They won't say that categorically in case Nelson wins. If he loses then it's the answer to claims of voter suppression and fraud, but if he wins then they can still say the DEMON-RATS RIGGED EVERYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if another country had elections like we do we'd be agitating for intervention.