Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Onmi posted:

I think he thinks Hal is cool.

The Green Lantern is... interesting? There's a lot of old stuff like the Anti-Matter Universe and other callbacks to things way since long past. It's a Morrison book, but... and I know this is a silly criticism because Morrison book... this is way too much poo poo without explanation. I can't seem to trace the status quo from what was to what is. It just annoys me.

My read on that is he's going for a pulpy feel (more of a hunch since it's not quite smacking us in the face with it and we don't have tons to go off yet). A lot of plot and weird imagery without tons of explanation is consistent with pulp sci-fi. The colours and art kinda feed into that impression, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

... is Bruce trying to master sumo or something?

He got his arms, legs and multiple other bone things broken. That's a whole-body super brace (and just in Justice League. He's currently running around, beating up Penguin goons just fine in 'Batman'.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fat Batman is the one true Batman imo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Fat Batman is the one true Batman imo

<insert mean-spirited Val Kilmer joke here>

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Neurosis posted:

My read on that is he's going for a pulpy feel (more of a hunch since it's not quite smacking us in the face with it and we don't have tons to go off yet). A lot of plot and weird imagery without tons of explanation is consistent with pulp sci-fi. The colours and art kinda feed into that impression, too.

I really enjoyed how weird it was.

Also, two aliens are thwarted by green food. Limes get the size changer at the beginning of the issue, and guacamole exposes the shape changer that’s after Hal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Neurosis posted:

The interview in the back of the comic has GMo saying he wanted Hal to be a character out of time, a cowboy out of place or something like that. I got the feeling that he is going for the 1970's man's man vibe. A lonely hitchhiker going from town to town fixing things from greedy businessmen. That was the feel I think they were going for.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mitch Gerads crammed in a bunch of Earwolf podcaster cameos in the final issue Mister Miracle.
First preview page here: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-curtains-close-in-this-exclusive-mister-miracl.html

There's Lauren Lapkus, Paul F Tompkins, Scott Auckerman, Adam Scott, Paul Scheer and the rest of the How Did This Get Made hosts.
Also Dan Didio, Jim Lee, King and Gerads. Can't ID the rest.

edit: MM editors above Didio and Lee. The guy above Scott Auckerman kinda looks like C.B. Cebulski?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 8, 2018

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The two guys in panel two are Nick Derington (in the Doom Patrol shirt) and Doc Shaner

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The thing I immediately don't like about this Hal Jordan was how easily things came to him. And yeah I did see the scenes of him being a mooching jobless loser on Earth and all that; that, frankly, is just a smokescreen. It was a temporary element inserted to make the character seem more relatable (look, he doesn't have his life together! Just like everyone else!) which doesn't actually affect anything. The minute that Hal's back in the saddle, he's all "It's chill dudes, I got this easy" and then it is just chill and he does just has it easy. Why? 'Cuz he's Hal Jordan, duh. You should only be so lucky to have your rear end kicked by him!

It's such a sharp contrast from the Hal I enjoyed in HJ&tGLC, where he was constantly shown to have to work very hard for his victories -- no matter if it was still a very Hal-esque sort of blunt-force-trauma-willpower way of working very hard -- and so when those victories come they actually feel earned and spectacular.

I've no doubt that Morrison is gonna make a very interesting book -- even in this issue there's a ton of really cool stuff -- but so far I'm not confident he can make me like this character that he's writing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mitch Gerads crammed in a bunch of Earwolf podcaster cameos in the final issue Mister Miracle.
First preview page here: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-curtains-close-in-this-exclusive-mister-miracl.html

There's Lauren Lapkus, Paul F Tompkins, Scott Auckerman, Adam Scott, Paul Scheer and the rest of the How Did This Get Made hosts.
Also Dan Didio, Jim Lee, King and Gerads. Can't ID the rest.

edit: MM editors above Didio and Lee. The guy above Scott Auckerman kinda looks like C.B. Cebulski?

Awesome. Anyone else get the Mister Miracle shirt that finally shipped from Diamond last week? I’m wearing mine for the first time today, and I’m quite happy with it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

The thing I immediately don't like about this Hal Jordan was how easily things came to him. And yeah I did see the scenes of him being a mooching jobless loser on Earth and all that; that, frankly, is just a smokescreen. It was a temporary element inserted to make the character seem more relatable (look, he doesn't have his life together! Just like everyone else!) which doesn't actually affect anything. The minute that Hal's back in the saddle, he's all "It's chill dudes, I got this easy" and then it is just chill and he does just has it easy. Why? 'Cuz he's Hal Jordan, duh. You should only be so lucky to have your rear end kicked by him!

It's such a sharp contrast from the Hal I enjoyed in HJ&tGLC, where he was constantly shown to have to work very hard for his victories -- no matter if it was still a very Hal-esque sort of blunt-force-trauma-willpower way of working very hard -- and so when those victories come they actually feel earned and spectacular.

I've no doubt that Morrison is gonna make a very interesting book -- even in this issue there's a ton of really cool stuff -- but so far I'm not confident he can make me like this character that he's writing.

My feeling is I don't know how we got to this Hal Jordan from the Jordan we had. Did I... miss him getting on shore leave essentially? Did I miss him getting back with Eve? I know 'He doesn't have his life together' but I don't remember this being a thing recently. It's not that I hate the focus on the Space Police aspect because the more GL gets to that and further from "Emotional Spectrum Corps Wars!" The happier I am. Also, it used to be like... way harder to cut off a GL's finger?

radlum
May 13, 2013
What happened to Scott Snyder's Batman work? I mean, I think his run during the New 52 was one of the better runs during that time but with Rebirth he did 14 issues of All Star Batman and 3 issues of Batman and The Signal and that's it.

I know he did Metal and now he is on Justice League so it's not as if he is lacking work; it just feels odd that for having such a winning streak, he got canceled so easily (IIRC, ASB was gonna last longer and I doubt he expected B&TS to last 3 issues)

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Awesome. Anyone else get the Mister Miracle shirt that finally shipped from Diamond last week? I’m wearing mine for the first time today, and I’m quite happy with it.

Ooh, what’s the image? I had no idea they had one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What's wrong with moving on from a character after six years?
And he's not anyway. Snyder and Capullo are doing a Batman project for Black Label.

Also, when his name is on something like The Signal with someone else, that's just a mentor thing. He didn't really write it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 9, 2018

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
That whole batwedding storyline made me angry. It seemed like a gimmick with all the lead-in and tie-in issues and whoops they’re not married, it was just a cheap story.

Like, at least do a James Bond and have her get killed at her wedding.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just personally, I'm glad she has a good new ongoing rather than dying.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I just felt mad that such a nothing burger ever existed, or that I was tricked into reading such. It’s like when they spend a whole season of Game of Thrones building up some character who dies and is never mentioned again. Why not just uh not include him in the story? Eh?

It’s this retroactive sense that an author has wasted your time..

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think DC overhyped it and I expect it'll read better as a part of the completed run.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just personally, I'm glad she has a good new ongoing rather than dying.

Yeah anything to get me some of that good Joelle Jones poo poo.

She’s real good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Part of me wonders if Marvel had insider information on the non-wedding with how good the timing of the sorta out of nowhere wedding of Rogue and Gambit was. Because in retrospect they built up to it with the Rogue and Gambit series, then built up a fake wedding as well with Kitty and Peter, but their resolution to the story was to marry another perennial X-couple.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think DC overhyped it and I expect it'll read better as a part of the completed run.

Yeah, it reads just fine outside of the hype. Batman is systematically getting his life taken apart, and the Penguin of all people is going to help him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, it reads just fine outside of the hype. Batman is systematically getting his life taken apart, and the Penguin of all people is going to help him.

I mean it ends with holly being allies with people like the psycho pirate so it’s pretty clear it’s all part of banes plot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Happened earlier than I thought

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That spread of Bane's crew is super hilarious given what we saw in the most recent issue of Batman, which seems to posit that Bane is secretly running Arkham from his Throne of Skulls.

Penguin is arrested, sent to Arkham (pre-trial?) in order to have a face to face with BANE. As soon as Bane is done with him, Penguin is released, because ___________.

Amongst the scoundrels in Bane's crew are Flashpoint Batman and Skeets.

Did Skeets and Thomas Wayne From Another Timeline get arrested, sentenced(?), sent to Arkham Asylum which is just a regular jail now I guess, and then released for spurious reasons so that Bane can chop it up with a Skeets and Gun Batman, No The Other Gun Batman?

I'm also not clear about how ordering a henchman to fatally shoot his partner then himself is a move designed to endear the Penguin to Batman, but I also didn't recognize the Shakespeare poet (or see why it took up half the issue) so maybe I don't understand Tom King.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Man, it’s like they’re teasing you with Flashpoint Batman and Skeets, and will explain their motivations when they do more than stand in the background. And since it happened on the last page of the latest issue, we’ll probably find out how Penguin can get a couple henchman to blindly follow orders to kill themselves.

Getting them to kill themselves wasn’t to endear himself, it was to show that he still had some degree of power or control.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh. This is not me hating on King or anything, but I have objectively never seen him explain anything at all in any of his comics. Again, not trying to rag, but some writers just have real obvious quirks and he is one of them. Anyone waiting for some grand revelatory moment where something unclear is suddenly made clear will be waiting a great long time, I think.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Arkham revolving dooring a villain as a matter of course not worth explaining was pretty funny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jason Todd is carrying a crowbar on his back? That's a bit on the nose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe "that's dumb" is what you meant to post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I believe "that's dumb" is what you meant to post.

"On the nose" was supposed to be a joke about him being hit in the face repeatedly with one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you wanted a joke you could have ended with "Jason Todd"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

If you wanted a joke you could have ended with "Jason Todd"

Or quoted one of DankTrebuchet's posts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Or quoted one of DankTrebuchet's posts.

I did that too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I meant one where he posts about how awesome JT is.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

It feels like we talk about Jason Todd a lot in this thread, relative to his popularity.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
And thus D_T's twisted plan comes to fruition...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm confused what you're even talking about. I thought that design rolled out like months ago?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh god I just realized The Red Hood is basically just a lovely rip off of Moon Knight.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I'm confused what you're even talking about. I thought that design rolled out like months ago?

That's a cover for an upcoming issue of Nightwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Have you ever read the Fight Man one shot by Evan Dorkin? It’s basically the whole Red Hood/Winter soldier story.