Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i was responding to the emoji keyboard thing, i didn't read the cortana bit, although after having done so it's completely unsurprising given the way cortana works and i have no loving idea why they would have ever allowed that to be interactive with the console locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

to be fair they were just copying Siri

which is equally terrible for the same reasons obvs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

it doesn't happen though? like not even remotely similar

the lock screen emoji thing is almost certainly triggering the on-screen keyboard accessibility feature and switching to the emoji board which is treated as an alternate keyboard layout/input language or something

It's not an alternative keyboard, it's simply an emoji panel. It's a feature that was introduced with 1803.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the upgrade key from my old windows 7 pro license is now telling me it's a windows 10 home license, apropos of nothing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

anthonypants posted:

the upgrade key from my old windows 7 pro license is now telling me it's a windows 10 home license, apropos of nothing

i just got the same message even though my key is straight from msdn so i'm gonna assume it's a fluke

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i just got that too lmao

my key is legit so uh, msft what you doing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the win10 bluetooth file transfer utility is called fsquirt, glad that little piece of zune legacy lives on

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SRQ posted:

i just got that too lmao

my key is legit so uh, msft what you doing

do your due diligence and report windows 10 beta glitches to MS

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/08/windows_10_activation/

confirmed: os is a pos

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also a POS: lovely clickbait site "The Register".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the win10 bluetooth file transfer utility is called fsquirt, glad that little piece of zune legacy lives on

ew

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
win10 being a complete piece of poo poo is also an homage to the zune (in this case, paying tribute to its original brown color)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lambert posted:

Also a POS: lovely clickbait site "The Register".

i like verity stob

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

it's fixed itself now in any case

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.petri.com/with-windows-1809-delayed-oems-are-shipping-new-devices-with-unsupported-software

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

tfw you gently caress up so badly and delay your os release so much that oems are forced to ship their devices with an unsupported older build

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SRQ posted:

tfw you gently caress up so badly and delay your os release so much that oems are forced to ship their devices with an unsupported older build

win10: accidentally an anroid

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i loving hate working onw indows

its a piece of poo poo!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

i loving hate working onw indows

its a piece of poo poo!!

:aaa:

how to you delineate between hating working and hating on working on windows specifically though? it all rather blends together for me

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how to you delineate between hating working and hating on working on windows specifically though? it all rather blends together for me

if the workstation they put you on continually resets the default apps (you might have a poo poo job)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i dont actively hate my current gig, its more of an annoyance :shobon:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

even neowin, which is trash clickbait for microsoft, is salty at the 1809 handling. for good reason really this is all hilarious
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-silence-on-the-windows-10-1809-delay-is-deafening

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

quote:

Time and time again, I was told that Microsoft should ship 1809 when it is ready, and I do agree.

lmao at switching to a date-based version number and not even releasing according to that schedule

so the real version nubmer should be 1811 or 1812 or 1901?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
aspirational build numbering

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows 18.10 rusty rattlesnake

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aspirational build numbering

oh i like that, im gonna use that for my own stuff

git add * && git commit -m 'initial commit' && git tag v1.0.0 && git push && git deploy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft bought Obsidian and inXile.

I expect Microsoft to close both studios after whichever one releases first fails in the marketplace.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft bought Obsidian

welp.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rip fallout

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

halo macworld 1999 demo : halo combat evolved 2001 :: fallout new vegas 2010 : whatever ms forces obsidian to poo poo out in like 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nah, they'll be gutted and scattered to the wind long before they ever get a chance to put out a game

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

halo macworld 1999 demo : halo combat evolved 2001 :: fallout new vegas 2010 : whatever ms forces obsidian to poo poo out in like 2023

rare 1999 : good games :: rare 2018 : bad games

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nah, they'll be gutted and scattered to the wind long before they ever get a chance to put out a game

also probable, i was just speaking in terms of similar microsoft acquisitions

e: no real IP either afaik??, their worth is in their people. splitting them up would be super dumb so thats def what ms will do

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 11, 2018

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
their talent has generally been swooping in and saving another ip from terrible writing

maybe they're looking at that for halo, idk

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Excited for Path of Halo and Halo: New Vegas.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft bought Obsidian and inXile.

I expect Microsoft to close both studios after whichever one releases first fails in the marketplace.

that shouldn't take long since they will inevitably only sell their games via the windows marketplace, which is the kiss of death

not sure why they would buy up obsidian since they are usually just a subcontractor. usually game companies are gobbled up for their original ip

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft probably wants a fallout/skyrim ip of their own.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah i imagine obsydian was bought to actually have competent manpower for games with complex narratives and storytelling

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they posted a presentation explaining the acquisitions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaN267lI_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

that shouldn't take long since they will inevitably only sell their games via the windows marketplace, which is the kiss of death

not sure why they would buy up obsidian since they are usually just a subcontractor. usually game companies are gobbled up for their original ip

afaik, Obsidian owns Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny