Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

You're not alone. I've heard and read opinions ranging from "Worse than The Twin Dilemma" to "best of the season thus far." I'd go so far as to call it Chibnall's best Who episode (as a solo writer, at least).

So from negative infinity to 1. Got it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

One thing that has been brought up in prior discussions of the episode that I think bears consideration is the idea of just how badly he fell on his face as The Time Lord Victorious - he did it all with the notion of saving the life of somebody the universe said MUST die. But his cold arrogance and utter disdain for "unimportant people" sees him gently caress it all up as one of those "unimportant" people runs away from him in terror because she can say just how truly alien and inhuman he is beneath the surface, and the woman he tried to save literally kills herself barely 20 feet from where this "great" and powerful "God" is standing basking in his own glory. I absolutely love the fear in his eyes as he's brought back down to Earth and the way he seems to hide in the TARDIS with full knowledge of just how badly he overstepped himself and hosed it all up. You can argue that the lesson has been learned, or at least the humiliation is fresh enough and he'd drop the act after being reminded that people aren't just pawns to shift around on some board like gamepieces.

Perhaps, but it didn't really carry that much weight for me because it's like two minutes tops right at the end of the episode and it honestly didn't feel like the rest of the episode was building to it.

In any case, maybe it's because the Doctor messes with things that are "supposed" to happen all the time if it's the right thing to do and it doesn't lead to him deciding he gets to make the rules now. Surely he already does that anyway?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are there any classic episodes where (e.g.) Susan/Vicki and Barbara are sent off to be basically midwives where (e.g.) Ian gets a sword or something? Like, I know that scene has happened, but I'm trying to think of a specific example, and I'm coming up short and it's nagging me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To me the “fixed point in time” thing worked primarily to answer questions like “why didn’t the Doctor stop [insert atrocity here]” and the whole not changing Earth history thing- trying to do more with it didn’t work for me.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I would chuckle if the reason we weren't given a Tardis bookend in the Tsuranga Conundrum is that the teleport goes wrong and strands the team in the next episode.

Kind of like the "transmat arc" that took up most of Tom Baker's first season. But, no, probably just a production issue.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

To me the “fixed point in time” thing worked primarily to answer questions like “why didn’t the Doctor stop [insert atrocity here]” and the whole not changing Earth history thing- trying to do more with it didn’t work for me.

I feel like it's fine as a plot gubbin because they don't tend to overuse it like some things, but it did tend to come up a lot in the latter bits of Moffat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m wondering what the original story for Tsuranga Conundrum was, since I noticed at the end, the Pting was credited as being created by Tim Price. This makes me think there was an existing story by Price, but it wasn’t working, so the whole thing got salvaged by Chibnall, and he just kept the creature.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

I’m wondering what the original story for Tsuranga Conundrum was, since I noticed at the end, the Pting was credited as being created by Tim Price. This makes me think there was an existing story by Price, but it wasn’t working, so the whole thing got salvaged by Chibnall, and he just kept the creature.

I assumed it's just credit to the artist they asked to design the monster of the week.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Soothing Vapors posted:

:eyepop:

Clara was the best developed character that the revival has created and I will fight all of you

Which by extension means she’s the best developed character the entire series has produced since 1963

I will never understand anti-Clara people.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Clara definitely had problems in season 7. There just didn't seem to be much to the character at that point, though Jenna-Louise Coleman still did a fantastic job with her.

I do think Clara in season 8 and 9 is a good character, not necessarily always likable, but certainly pretty interesting to follow around. Although I feel like a lot of decisions made on a creative level as to how to handle her exit from the show were... well... bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

misadventurous posted:

I will never understand anti-Clara people.

I just don't like what Jenna-Lousie Coleman's selling, and she unfortunately capable of selling that very well. As Coleman plays her, Clara comes across as a deeply precious individual, who mostly seems to exist as artifice and poise. It's superficial. There's none of the flaws, or the unexpected but inherently human rawness that I associate with the human condition. Even when the character is flawed, Coleman's still giving complete technical elegance -- and it's awful. She's the exact opposite of Donna, basically, and I just don't believe her.

It doesn't help that, on paper, the character could be fairly inconsistent, and had a very poor start.

Again, I don't necessarily blame Coleman for the work she puts in, and it makes some sense given what she's being handed as an actress. She's very good as Oswin, for instance, who's a completely different character. But when even Clara's theme music is this glossy, superficial twinkle of a thing, I think it's telling that there's ultimately not much there, there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Clara has a rough start, but the only problem with her after that is that she still gives Twelve the time of day after the way he treats her at first.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

And her little theme owns.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Clara is great (though she's at her best in Capaldi's first season) but her theme reminds me of a jingle for a cat food commercial

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

And her little theme owns.

Especially the guitar version from the cafe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always liked Matt Smith's silent rage whenever his character grew outraged. He did a great job of looking like an ancient being in a young body, mostly in his eyes and voice. Like in Beast Below when he realises that Amy tried to protect him from an impossible choice and he just glares at her with the line "You don't ever decide what I need to know." Honestly at times he could be scarier than Capaldi, simply due to that intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDix_GCbWf0

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

misadventurous posted:

Which by extension means she’s the best developed character the entire series has produced since 1963

Ace was the prototype for every modern companion, fight me

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BioEnchanted posted:

I always liked Matt Smith's silent rage whenever his character grew outraged. He did a great job of looking like an ancient being in a young body, mostly in his eyes and voice. Like in Beast Below when he realises that Amy tried to protect him from an impossible choice and he just glares at her with the line "You don't ever decide what I need to know." Honestly at times he could be scarier than Capaldi, simply due to that intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDix_GCbWf0

Smith was an old man in a young person's body, Capaldi was a mixed up adolescent in an older man's body.

Also Eleven was a loving wizard compared to his immediate predecessor and successor, he came across as someone you wouldn't want to mess with, because he'd doom you before you even knew you had a problem. Kinda like Seven, really

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yaz' gran seems cool. I'm wondering if the "stories I could tell" are going to be "The time The Doctor took me travelling" or similar.

Also the Doctor made the best face when Yaz refuses to leave and offers to help that dude.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Missed the start, how has it been?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I mean this in the best way, this feels like a Big Finish story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

“Bagsy no chicken-poo!” :3:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I just don't like what Jenna-Lousie Coleman's selling, and she unfortunately capable of selling that very well. As Coleman plays her, Clara comes across as a deeply precious individual, who mostly seems to exist as artifice and poise. It's superficial. There's none of the flaws, or the unexpected but inherently human rawness that I associate with the human condition. Even when the character is flawed, Coleman's still giving complete technical elegance -- and it's awful. She's the exact opposite of Donna, basically, and I just don't believe her.

It doesn't help that, on paper, the character could be fairly inconsistent, and had a very poor start.

Again, I don't necessarily blame Coleman for the work she puts in, and it makes some sense given what she's being handed as an actress. She's very good as Oswin, for instance, who's a completely different character. But when even Clara's theme music is this glossy, superficial twinkle of a thing, I think it's telling that there's ultimately not much there, there.

Also she's not a patch on Rory

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was actually Jo Grant!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I am really digging this episode so far.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also "They evolved themselves to be the deadliest assassins" gives me an idea for an episode name.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SiKboy posted:

Also "They evolved themselves to be the deadliest assassins" gives me an idea for an episode name.

And now they’re ambassadors.

...OF DEATH.

*twang!*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was depressing :(

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, that was hands down the best episode of the season. Its not even close.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
So... that was really good, yeah?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am extremely glad the aliens weren’t the bad guys causing the problems, it was all lovely humans being lovely

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Really loving good.

Also, a rather apposite theme on the centenary of the Armistice.

Jerusalem posted:

I am extremely glad the aliens weren’t the bad guys causing the problems, it was all lovely humans being lovely

Two episodes by BME writers, in which the Bad Guy is racism, and to be honest I would definitely like more with that message.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Now THAT is more like it. More episodes like this and less Chibnall scripts for Whittaker's run will do nicely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

By far the best of the season so far. And I stick by my ‘felt like a Big Finish story’ thing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It felt like it was meant to be from a serial about the partition of India, then they remembered it was meant to be a Doctor Who episode and shoved the sci-fi elements in clunkily. I mean, the Doctor didn't DO anything for like the last ten mintues. Plus Yaz still doesn't have any character aside from 'Asian character (who is Asian) and can do Asian related things' - like I'm sure they could write her as a more interesting character.

Rosa was much, much better. It dealt with issues but still felt like a Doctor Who episode, and even though I thought it was a bit unwieldly at times, it was a good. This was like another show but for some reason the Doctor was there.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Murderion posted:

So... that was really good, yeah?

Yeah.

OldMemes posted:

It felt like it was meant to be from a serial about the partition of India, then they remembered it was meant to be a Doctor Who episode and shoved the sci-fi elements in clunkily. I mean, the Doctor didn't DO anything for like the last ten mintues. Plus Yaz still doesn't have any character aside from 'Asian character (who is Asian) and can do Asian related things' - like I'm sure they could write her as a more interesting character.

Rosa was much, much better. It dealt with issues but still felt like a Doctor Who episode, and even though I thought it was a bit unwieldly at times, it was a good. This was like another show but for some reason the Doctor was there.

Nah.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the concept of the aliens, super assassins who never considered what they were doing to people until it happened to them en mass because they weren't there to stop it. Then they're like "You know, this kind of sucks to be on the receiving end, I'm feeling kind of guilty now, let's start doing the exact opposite..."

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan
Bravo, that was a great episode, probably the best in this season so far. Also the reworked end credits theme was fun.

Also Yaz explaining the tying the hands together got a laugh out of me. Every time, Yaz! You just can't help yourself :)

dsub fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That was good.