Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

1 since being polite doesn't cost us anything.

quote:

Indeed, he must strain to hear your whispers above the wind.

Is that a cut at our lack of fame? <:mad:>

Anyway, I'm unsure about the second choice but I'll go with 6.

Edit: update on the last page bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

1, 3

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
One thing this game includes in all discussions involving Native Americans but doesn’t overtly mention is their natural suspicions and fears of the white man and all agents thereof. It’s understandable given the setting but hard to realize sometimes.

1,3 sounds good to me.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Is that a cut at our lack of fame? <:mad:>

There is no "fame" stat, only notoriety, which is basically "rear end in a top hat fame". Remember that we only ever gained some by autographing questionable books for personal gain, i.e doing a selfish/prideful thing.
I have a feeling that it's basically the "Karma" stat and if we were playing an omnicidal maniac we would have it a lot higher.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DmitriX posted:

There is no "fame" stat, only notoriety, which is basically "rear end in a top hat fame". Remember that we only ever gained some by autographing questionable books for personal gain, i.e doing a selfish/prideful thing.

Say what you will, autographing a book of us as a notorious bandit for blowing up the dam, and then steamrolling some toughguy nerds with a solid gold carriage is badass. No regrets on that notoriety.

Also 1 for the first and no opinion for the 2nd.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Politeness costs nothing.

quote:

"Tell him it is an honor to meet him."

Yiska translates and Taboonsheya responds in equally measured tones, "It is the same for him. He has heard much of Tahoma, the tin star. He says you are the one who soars above while others walk below. That you strive to carve the mark of the whites into the very hills. But if you try to lay your law upon his lodge, then know that he has his own lore for his people."

Yiska pauses to catch a breath as Taboonsheya continues to talk, "Taboonsheya has not heard dark tellings of your deeds. Indeed, he must strain to hear your whispers above the wind."

Actually, the last part is not a dig at our lack of notoriety, it's a dig at our lack of Legend, which is a secret stat usually tallied at the end of the game, so it's no surprise that it's hovering around 0. Honestly, I think it's a relic from an earlier draft of the game. The "not heard dark tellings of your deeds" is a remark about our low notoriety, though notoriety tends to rise the most when doing things of dubious nature.

DmitriX posted:

I have a feeling that it's basically the "Karma" stat and if we were playing an omnicidal maniac we would have it a lot higher.

Oh yeah, he's not a fan of high notoriety characters. Anyways, let's be diplomatic.

quote:

"Tell him I would like to discuss what can be done to help his people."

Taboonsheya leans forward ever so slightly atop his steed and gestures for you to talk.

"Where are your people headed?"
The chief speaks a while before Yiska catches on to the translation, "He is saying they wish to reach the Green Deer valley before the first snow blows. There they will eat roots and catch fish until winter removes itself from their sight."

"Is Green Deer Valley far?"
The chief gives a little nod and gestures south-westerly toward a distant place that all but clips the corner of Preston Springs. You hardly need Yiska's translation to know what he is saying, "It is a long walk we should have begun when the moon had last been full. When we reach that place, our feet will be sore but unbloodied."

"And you would stay in Green Deer Valley until spring?"
"Yes." the chief says in English then returns to the Shoshone tongue as Yiska resumes translation, "It is a good place, but we would eat up all that is there when the dry summer comes."

"Why are your people on the move so late in the year?"
The chief gives a soft sigh then speaks with a darker tone as Yiska translates, "There were many buffalo at Big Horn Basin. We hunted them for some while, taking our ease and roasting strips long into the night. Too long it seems, for the Apaches came to call and two of our warriors went to the stars in turning them back. Even then, many horses were lost and scattered. By the time those were rounded back up, many suns had set."

"Tell me of the Apaches."
The chief stares over at you in small surprise and his tone is incredulous as Yiska translates, "If you have never heard of the Apaches then consider yourself fortunate and do not stray from this valley. There are no more capable or cruel warriors than the Inde. Long had they opposed the Spanish, long had they opposed the Mexican, long will they oppose all who do not speak Mescalero.

"We fought those of the White Mountain. Though we were many more than they, they yet took our horses and killed two of our young braves. Even then we considered ourselves fortunate."

"How would I defeat these Apache?"
The chief narrows his gaze upon you, "With many men. With many guns. Gather their women and children and hold them hostage. And even then, you may find only defeat despite years of struggle."

"Are your intentions peaceful?"
The chief taps a finger to his ear then gestures to the west. Yiska waits for him to finish before he translates, "We seek no war with the white man. You have many guns and will cry out to the blue-coats if a Newe so much as scratches your boot. And so I agree with Chief Washakie and wish only peace between our peoples. Where the sun sets it may be different, but here we come with open hands and hearts."

"I believe you, but others may not."
"Then it is good that you are the chief," Taboonsheya says as Yiska translates.

"But not all Shoshone bands are as peaceable, are they?"
The chief shakes his head gravely as Yiska translates, "No. There are the Bannocks. They who turn their backs upon our ways to do as they please. There are many of them in the hills and your people should be careful where they walk."

"Wait, there are Bannock bands around here?"
The chief nods and you hardly need Yiska to understand his words, "Yes. A great many. And they do not fear the winter snow."

Move on to more pressing issues.

quote:

1. "I would prefer that your people stay well away from the town so as not to provoke an incident."
2. "I have here tokens of friendship from the people of Preston Springs to give to you before your people depart."
3. "I have some goods here you might be interested in bartering for before you head on your way."
4. "Your people must turn back. The people of Preston Springs will not allow you to pass so close to their lands."
5. "Do what you want around these parts. Just don't cross me."
6. "Your people will need to pay a toll for crossing the white man's land."
7. "I am going to need hostages to ensure that you pass on by without incident."
8. "You have come to the wrong place at the wrong time. Tell your people to prepare to greet their ancestors."
9. Pull my pistol on Taboonsheya and end this farce.

How is this going to go?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can we say 2 things? Like, "here are some gifts, now please give the town a wide berth?"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Nope, but all the gift/trade options also say something along the lines "before you leave" so it's not like they're coming to/near town regardless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then 2. Let us show our generosity and thus our strength.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
2 works for me as well.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Gifts for everyone!

quote:

"I have here tokens of friendship from the people of Preston Springs to give to you before your people depart."

Taboonsheya blinks in surprise at your offer and tilts his head incredulously as Yiska translates his words, "Your potlatch is welcome, Tahoma. We of the Six Horns will wish to tender our own in return."

(+14 Yiska)

Taboonsheya eyes the wares of Preston Springs, obviously pleased with the iron and steel there. His Braves retrieve a number of items from the recently floated over rafts and the older man sorts through numerous wraps with many a fond recollection on his lips.

1. Let my eye linger upon an excellent buffalo hide robe.

quote:

Taboonsheya can't help but note your gaze and so presents the robe to you with a flourish even as Yiska translates, "This will keep you warm when all else is cold. This I know, this I promise."
2. Take a note of a gleam of gold.

quote:

Taboonsheya presents you with an ornate gold bracelet whose markings are strange and worn. Yiska readily translates the chief's words, "This belonged to my second wife. A gift from a wanderer with hair of fire. She always said the golden loop wished to see the world, and so she took it with her to be my bride. For many years we walked these valleys and she carried it upon her wrist. I do not wear it now, but I wish its journey to continue."
3. Gaze a long while at a grizzly bear hide.

quote:

There it is, the hide of a beast you brought down in the wild. While it isn't the same creature, it is hard to see the difference even up close. When Taboonsheya present the massive pelt to you, a long ruffle of the deep fur lets you bask afresh in that victory.

Naturally, you have to share your tale and the Indian chief reciprocates with his own.
4. Blink hard at a beautiful obsidian flaked war-ax.

quote:

Taboonsheya notes your gaze and begins a long tale that Yiska translates with due reverence.

"Long ago, before the white man came, the Newe wandered these valleys without worry. But then the Shining-ones came with their golden armors and strange blood gods. Our arrows could not pierce, our spears shattered, and clubs were turned aside. They took many of us and marched them south to their doom while we wept.

"The Coyote heard our cries and was moved, but Coyote's tricks proved of little use for the Shining-ones were as a pebble dropped from a cliff and knew only one path. So instead he spoke to the Hawk who sent him to the Night Raven, who sent him to the Black Hills and there he wagered his teeth against the secrets of the Lonely Mountain.

"A simple game would be played. Merely guess where a falling stone would land when it tumbled down the slope. The Mountain thought it knew all for it was merely a pebble of great size, but Coyote excused himself just before the contest began and made water all down the side of it. The Mountain, thinking it to be mere rain, took its guess. Coyote, having eaten far too many green berries in the days before, knew otherwise. The stone tumbled then touched upon the thick waters and did not slip quite so much as the mountain thought.

"Coyote learned the secrets of the midnight stones and brought them to us. We flaked the edges to a sharp beyond sharp then fell upon the Shining-ones and sliced through their golden armors to rescue our peoples.

"This ax is a token of those days. Though now there are hard metals, the night stones can yet cut deep even against an armored foe. We of the Six Horns give this to you, our friend, and hope you never need use it as we once did."

The ax is indeed a weighty thing and beyond sharp; a truly terrifying weapon even when it is not resting in your hand.
5. Wave aside the gift.

Gifts for everyone! Do we want a buffalo robe, a gold bracelet, a bearskin rug, an obsidian war-axe or nothing?

quote:

The Six Horns Indians are as good as their word and are soon on their way in peace.

Yiska looks to you with definite respect, "That went well enough, did it not?"

"I should get back to town."
"Can we talk a bit?" [Begin Romance]
"I'm glad you came back to town. I have friends, but none such as you."

Well, back to work.

quote:

"I should get back to town."

"Yes, I suppose we both should," Yiska agrees then glances toward the swollen river for a long moment."

The river is a swollen, muddy snake that gurgles its way down south. As you watch, bits of wood swirl atop the silted waters in an eddy before they are sucked down stream with a stunning rapidity. The little trickle that had been there in the months before is now but a memory.

Yiska points to a shattered tree trunk, "Landslide. A whole grove of trees must have come down up in the mountains. That could be enough to block the river."

1. Ride back to Preston Springs to warn and prepare people there.
2. The blockage will likely be temporary and brief. Nothing to worry about.
3. Ride off. This is town business.

Hmm.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Obsidian axe, no romance, and 1.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If you guessed I wanted the obsidian war axe for our weapon you are correct. On the river decision, first option. Best not to ignore a potential problem.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok that's fairly dope I forgive your meta, war axe, no romance, hurry back.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yeah that's pretty badass. War Axe & Prepare people.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Obsidian axe, no romance, and 1.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

1. buffalo robe & 3. warn people.

I'd rather have the meteor hammer. :black101:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yeah that's pretty badass. War Axe & Prepare people.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

2. Take a note of a gleam of gold.

1. Ride back to Preston Springs to warn and prepare people there.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Axe acquired.

quote:

"I would be honored to wield this as your friend."

(Intimidate Increased, Notoriety slightly increased) (+4 Intimidate, +2 Notoriety)

The Six Horns Indians are as good as their word and are soon on their way in peace.

Now let's go help the town.

quote:

Ride back to Preston Springs to warn and prepare people there.

You and Yiska ride as fast as you can for Preston Springs.

quote:

Just a stone's throw from the river, Preston Springs placidly goes on about its business. No one much seems to notice or care about the impending flood. Clearly that needs to change. As you near the Grand Haven Hotel, the Sheriff and owner of the town emerges with a pair of his deputies in tow. Even in a starched shirt with a high white collar, a coal black coat and matching silver cufflinks, he still manages to prowl like a wolf.

"Marshal," Preston says and idly extracts a tight wrapped cigar from his vest pocket. The crinkle of the paper is a crisp crackle that heralds over the aroma of well aged tobacco.

Down the way you catch sight of Schmidt as he leaves the assayers.

Carrie leans out of the Mother-lode saloon and watches you pass by with a cup of coffee cradled gently in hand.

"Preston, the river is going to overflow and soon."

quote:

"What?" Preston barks out and that draws every ear. "Are you certain?"
"Yiska believes so too."

quote:

"Is that so?"

"I have seen it happen once before when I was a boy," Yiska relates. "The waters will come rushing down from the mountain and where the turns are sharpest, it will spill over and make a lake. Right here."

"I knew this spot was too good to be true," Preston mutters under his breath as people gather round. \"Alright Marshal, what are you suggesting?"
"What did I just say. Are you deaf?"

quote:

"I heard you," Preston snaps back. "No need to try and be insulting."
"I'm a marshal, not an engineer, but yes, I'm certain."

quote:

"I get you," Preston says sharply, "no need to get testy about it."
"Absolutely."

quote:

"Well then, what are you proposing?" Preston asks and that draws more than a few ears.
"We'll see soon enough either way."

quote:

"I do not need this," Preston sputters out then recovers. "What do you need from me?"
"It may not happen, what with the Red Ribbon dam removed, but it still could."

quote:

"I get you," Preston nods, "if it might happen... what are you proposing?"
"I need a three foot ditch dug around the town. It doesn't have to be filled with anything because the river will do that for us."

quote:

"A three foot ditch?" Preston blinks at your request and more than a few people turn your way in surprise. "We'd never finish that in time."
"Then we are in trouble."
"Maybe you won't, what with your soft hands and trim beard.

quote:

"My hands ain't soft," Preston half growls.
"You'll want to hold off on that cigar for a while. The river is rising and its going to swamp the banks soon enough."

quote:

"What?" Preston barks out and that draws every ear. "Are you certain?"

"Yiska believes so too."

quote:

"Is that so?"

"I have seen it happen once before when I was a boy," Yiska relates. "The waters will come rushing down from the mountain and where the turns are sharpest, it will spill over and make a lake. Right here."

"I knew this spot was too good to be true," Preston mutters under his breath as people gather round. \"Alright Marshal, what are you suggesting?"
"What did I just say. Are you deaf?"

quote:

"I heard you," Preston snaps back. "No need to try and be insulting."
"Absolutely."

quote:

"Well then, what are you proposing?" Preston asks and that draws more than a few ears.
"We'll see soon enough either way."

quote:

"I do not need this," Preston sputters out then recovers. "What do you need from me?"
Ignore Preston, remove what I need from my office and leave town.

Technically, I could hold a vote to see if we want to skip town, but I'm pretty sure I know how it'd turn out, so let's get ready to rumble.

quote:

No one seems all that eager to get to work.

No one has so much as a spade. But you have time to gather more given the slow rise of the river.

"Preston, everyone you can pull a favor from needs to get involved; now."
"People of Preston Springs, listen up for a sec."
"You there. You've just been conscripted. You and you, get over here. I'm gonna set you to work."
Buy up shovels and picks.
"Matthew, does the General Store have any picks or shovels we can borrow?"
Head over to the saloons and recruit those in need of money for this sort of labor.
"Dan! Good to see you again. I need you to round up some working hands right quick."
"Carrie! There you are! I need you to roust some idle hands for me."
"Listen up everyone, it is time to start sweating because there is a whole river worth of trouble coming at us."

We're going to need both tools and hands to wield them, so let's get started.

quote:

"Preston, everyone you can pull a favor from needs to get involved; now."
"Well of course," Preston replies. "This is my town and I won't let it get washed down river."

He turns and starts calling out people by name on the streets. Just like that people start coming over.

quote:

"People of Preston Springs, listen up for a sec."
Your voice rings through the chilly autumnal air like a bell. People on the streets stop and stare. Quickly, you lay out what needs to be done and why and afterward they hustle over in droves.

(Honor slightly increased) (+2 Honor)

"You there. You've just been conscripted. You and you, get over here. I'm gonna set you to work."
Your orders make people jump right over. No one wants to be the one to defy you, or look like they're defying you, or even standing next to someone who defies you. Soon enough you have got their pledges and begin to tell them what they are going to do.

(Order slightly increased) (+2 Order)

(These two are based on your Persuasion/Intimidate skill, and selecting one means you can't select the other. But we had a high enough skill for either result, so no point in voting.)

"Dan! Good to see you again. I need you to round up some working hands right quick."
"I'll get on that," Dan promises then hurries off. (-2 Schmidt)

Before long he is back with more than a few friends; most of whom tote their own shovels.

"Carrie! There you are! I need you to roust some idle hands for me."
"More than my usual two?" she asks with a knowing glance. "I'll see to that."

Before long she is back with back with a few friends; all of whom heft shovels.

"Matthew, does the General Store have any picks or shovels we can borrow?"

quote:

"Borrow?" Matthew asks and idly runs his fingers down the crisp white storekeeper's apron he always wears. Out on the street he seems more like a pillar of snow than anything else.

"Yes, borrow. This is an emergency and you stand to gain as much as anyone if we succeed."

quote:

"I don't want to be flooded out. That's for certain," Matthew agrees. "I'll chip in the few picks and shovels I've got lying around."

The man proves as good as his word. Its not much but at least he'll feel good about adding them to the immense pile you've got.

"Yeah, borrow. After all, you stand to lose much, if not more, if things go bust. Get me?"

quote:

"I don't want to lose what I got. That's for certain," Matthew agrees warily. "I'll chip in the few picks and shovels I've got lying around.

"I don't want to be flooded out. That's for certain," Matthew agrees. "I'll chip in the few picks and shovels I've got lying around."

The man proves as good as his word. Its not much but at least he'll feel good about adding them to the immense pile you've got.

"Sorry, I meant buy. That is, if they are for sale."
"Never mind."

quote:

You have a large crowd willing to get to work.

Everyone has both a pick and shovel to their name. A few even carry trowels and spades.

Head over to the saloons and recruit those in need of money for this sort of labor.
Buy up shovels and picks.
"Listen up everyone, it is time to start sweating because there is a whole river worth of trouble coming at us."

Well, we've cashed in our freebies and this is what we've got (which is an awful lot, to be honest). Do we want to spend any more money acquiring more? We can spend 1, 3 or 5 wealth on tools, and 2, 4 or 6 wealth on getting extra labor. (We have 7 wealth remaining)

Next question is, how are we going to do this?

quote:

The easiest thing by far is to shore up the buildings. Lots of braces might well leave a few buildings standing. Same goes for digging ditches through town; the more the merrier.

If you could bring down an embankment across the way and force the river to flood away from the town, that might be a sight better, but figuring out where exactly to do that might well be more guesswork than anything else. On the opposite side of things, building a levee is just plain hard work. But if you've got free hands and tools, it might just save the whole town.

1. "Here is what we are going to do. We are going to form a levee to protect the town. It won't last long, but it doesn't have to if we get enough hands and shovels into this."
2. "There is no way to stop the flood, but we can make certain the water doesn't inundate the town too badly. That means ditches and a whole lot of them."
3. "We'd best lower the bank of a river, make it spill out elsewhere. If done right, some lowland field will become a lake for a little while."
4. "Every town building needs shoring up if it is going to resist the flood."

What's the plan?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'd think we'd need a stat block for pass/fail context for some of those checks but you just demonstrated you're conscious of our stats so I don't think there's a wrong option. :colbert:

3 sounds like the option that'll save the most of the town with the least work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hang on, hang on, this sounds like town business to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Can we see stats?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This scenario is quite a bit different if the dam is still around.

Since we live in the town we better save it.

Option 3- build Lake Ruolan!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

What's the plan?

Vote: 3. "We'd best lower the bank of a river, make it spill out elsewhere. If done right, some lowland field will become a lake for a little while."

This seems like the most efficient way of battling the flood.

Also, spend 3 wealth on tools and 4 wealth on getting extra labor.

Money ain't gonna do us no good if everything washes away.

The Lone Badger posted:

Hang on, hang on, this sounds like town business to me.

It does indeed. Which is why, after leading the town out of this disaster, it would finally be time to show Preston the 'Dead Man's Hand' and take ownership of things.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Preston is our bro and has done nothing but support us in literally everything we wanted to do.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dong Quixote posted:

Preston is our bro and has done nothing but support us in literally everything we wanted to do.

He treats us like the hired help and something that he scraped off his boot. The moment we're not useful to him is the moment we're discarded. :colbert:

This will be Shen County.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CourValant posted:

He treats us like the hired help and something that he scraped off his boot. The moment we're not useful to him is the moment we're discarded. :colbert:

This will be Shen County.

Yeah, he's been friendly because it's the best and easiest way for him to manage us. He's a scoundrel, however likeable he is, and we are not.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like we're in the market for a new lake, and we're not going to spend a dime of our own to do it.

quote:

"We'd best lower the bank of a river, make it spill out elsewhere. If done right, some lowland field will become a lake for a little while."

"We can't stop the flood, but we can make it flood away from the town," Preston repeats your words and gives a little nod. "Yeah, we can do that."

"Just your kind of philosophy," Yiska adds under his breath.

"What was that?" Preston asks a little too politely.

"I said, that sounds just like your kind of philosophy," Yiska repeats.

Preston peers close at the Indian lawyer for a long moment then cracks a grin, "True enough. But enough gabbling;, we've got a river to wrangle."

Get to work.

quote:

You lead the way toward the river.

Set to work on the nearest opposite bend and open a cut on the embankment.
"Hey, Dan. I need to ask you something about the river."
I have no idea what I am doing here. Time to try something else.

We may not have any idea what to do, but Dan might.

quote:

"What do you want to know?" he asks without hesitation and listens to you explain.

When he is done relating the saga about the last flood, you have everything you need to know.

The river lies a good six feet below flooding. There are still idle hands waiting for work. Plenty of shovels and picks lie piled near to several powder horns.

The embankment has acquired a few small scars.

Dig on the dry side of the river bank.
Set people to digging up top to create a notch on top of the embankment.
Convince some people to work just above the raging river on the wet side.
Try and use a little gunpowder to blow open a section.

quote:

Pack it in as best you can.
Pack it in on top.
Use the already dug out portion of the dry side.
Try and plant it on the river side of things where the soil has already been loosened.

Alright, that's it. The river will have to do the rest.

Time for some digging. We've got plenty of tools and people to handle them but we only have a finite amount of time to do this, so be sure to mention the order you want to do things. Each option can only be picked once. When using gunpowder please pick which area you wish to target- you can "Pack it in as best you can" at any time, but stuffing it in the top, dry or river side requires that you have already had people working on it beforehand, and attempting to stuff gunpowder into a riverbank can be pretty dangerous.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions:
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Enough for a week in town.
Values:
Order: 79% Freedom: 21%
Honor: 93% Arbitrary: 7%
Law: 76% Individuality: 24%
Notoriety: 12% Anonymity: 88%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 60%
Sharpshooting: 47%
Brawling: 42%
Riding: 41%
Survival: 45%
Legal: 28%
Engineering: 18%
Explosives: 31%
Persuasion: 57%
Intimidate: 59%
Stamina: 36%
Resolve: 57%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 73%
Influence Schmidt: 93%
Influence Caraway: 107%
Influence Preston: 116%
Influence Hartigan: 45%
Influence Albion: 60%
Influence Maria: 135%
Influence Marshal James: 55%
Influence Yiska: 109%

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Presumably the wet side is the one with the most water pressure so that's where we should focus? I would guess we need to dig a notch, convince some people to dig more, then plant it on the wet side?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

dreadmojo posted:

Presumably the wet side is the one with the most water pressure so that's where we should focus? I would guess we need to dig a notch, convince some people to dig more, then plant it on the wet side?

This sounds like a good plan to me. Of course my Engineering isn’t much higher than Ruolan’s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

dreadmojo posted:

This seems like a reasonable approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

Does Dan actually have some advice for us on where to dig?

LightWarden posted:

Looks like we're in the market for a new lake, and we're not going to spend a dime of our own to do it.

Vote: Set people to digging up top to create a notch on top of the embankment.

This way, we use the full capacity of the river (which is still 6 feet below flooding), and only redirect the overflow, as opposed to the entire volume of water rushing downriver.

Vote: Use the already dug out portion of the dry side.

There's no use reinforcing an already wet and loose base, its going to burst and we'll have wasted our efforts. Let's reinforce there it's already solid.