Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toadstrieb posted:

I haven't read Invincible in years, but I remember there being a big fight with a mustached older enemy that ended in Invincible punching so hard that he broke open both of his arms. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I think it'd count as a "badass panel".

I know it ends with this scene

https://imgur.com/a/hsW4n1h

but I can't find the fight in-sequence anywhere.

Invincible Vs Conquest - Issue 64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Invincible Vs Conquest - Issue 64

Thank you! I remember being into this comic but having a hard time caring about the actual plot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah the first half of the series is incredibly tight, then it meanders in the later bits because it doesn't know where it wants to go with the plot. Felt like the ending was somewhat half hearted and forced as well.

Standard Kirkman affair :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Yeah the first half of the series is incredibly tight, then it meanders in the later bits because it doesn't know where it wants to go with the plot. Felt like the ending was somewhat half hearted and forced as well.

Standard Kirkman affair :v:

Yeah, I liked it mostly. For me it started going off the rails in the last 1/4 or so. And you’re right, the ending felt contrived to get to the ending he wanted.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toadstrieb posted:

I haven't read Invincible in years, but I remember there being a big fight with a mustached older enemy that ended in Invincible punching so hard that he broke open both of his arms. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I think it'd count as a "badass panel".

I know it ends with this scene

https://imgur.com/a/hsW4n1h

but I can't find the fight in-sequence anywhere.

Pffft. Midoriya-shounen does that every drat day. :japan:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Toshimo posted:

Pffft. Midoriya-shounen does that every drat day. :japan:

He's stopped doing that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I liked it mostly. For me it started going off the rails in the last 1/4 or so. And you’re right, the ending felt contrived to get to the ending he wanted.

Walking Dead.txt
-> Go to new town
-> Wow everything seems so nice here!
-> Problem with town
-> ~VIOLENCE SOLVES EVERYTHING~
-> Oh poo poo zombies still exist
-> "WE HAVE TO ABANDON THIS TOWN"
-> Tragic death of long time fan favourite character
-> Go to 1

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls no ban-erino X-O-senpai!! :nyoron:

Boku no Hero Academia (ch. 3)

The setup: Our protagonist was born into a society where virtually everyone has a superpower, known as Quirks (think Top Ten). He's one of the very few born completely normal and spends his entire life ostracized and bullied for being Quirkless. Eventually, through a combination of bravery and stupidity, he impresses the #1 Hero in the World, who reveals that he was also born Quirkless and that his power is actually secretly passed down from generation to generation and he is looking for an heir. Taking the kid under his wing, he spends months giving him the most rigorous physical training possible in order to shape his body into a vessel able to contain this awesome power. The kid, for his part, is nothing if not optimistic, diligent, and humble. The day of the entrance exam to the Hero University arrives and the power is passed down, but there's no time for him to get used to it, so he basically runs the exam Quirkless, and proceeds to be unable to score a single point. When he arrived at the exam site, he nearly tripped over his own feet in awe and was "saved" from embarrassment by a passing girl who can make object weightless by touching them.

Time is winding down on the exam. Can our Hero prevail?

Yup. Shattered both legs and one whole arm, and is now going to fall a hundred feet to some pretty gnarly pavement. Good luck, kid.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

To many panels to count as a badass panel imo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Galvanik posted:

You can just skip to the last page. It's cool.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Galvanik posted:

Stop nitpicking and just admit you enjoyed the cool manga :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I feel kinda bad cuz I'm extremely into the anime but I've never read the manga. Is it like opm where the show leaves out a lot of side stuff and worth reading

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I want to say the anime adds in semi official side stories the original didn't include for space and time restrictions, like Froppy's internship. But i'm not absolutely certain of that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow less froppy chan? What a pile of garbage

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Galvanik posted:

I want to say the anime adds in semi official side stories the original didn't include for space and time restrictions, like Froppy's internship. But i'm not absolutely certain of that.

What usually happens is Popular Manga Series gets picked up to become Popular Anime Series, but the anime usually catches up to the manga pretty quickly so all the big long running shonen series do side stories to allow the manga to push ahead a bit.
Couple of big examples are Rurouni Kenshin, and One Piece.

In the case of BNHA they just like fleshing out the side characters a bit more, because there's at least 3-4 more seasons worth of manga to cover before the anime catches up.

However there is an official side story manga called Vigilantes, that deals with a different set of characters in the same universe, but is not written by the main author.
http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/wiki/Vigilante_-_My_Hero_Academia:_Illegals

As for anime movies, whatever happens in them never has any impact on the main series whatsoever (In only a few rare cases)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

What usually happens is Popular Manga Series gets picked up to become Popular Anime Series, but the anime usually catches up to the manga pretty quickly so all the big long running shonen series do side stories to allow the manga to push ahead a bit.
Couple of big examples are Rurouni Kenshin, and One Piece.

In the case of BNHA they just like fleshing out the side characters a bit more, because there's at least 3-4 more seasons worth of manga to cover before the anime catches up.

However there is an official side story manga called Vigilantes, that deals with a different set of characters in the same universe, but is not written by the main author.
http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/wiki/Vigilante_-_My_Hero_Academia:_Illegals

As for anime movies, whatever happens in them never has any impact on the main series whatsoever (In only a few rare cases)

Supposedly the recent movie is canon according to the author but I'll believe it when I see it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Supposedly the recent movie is canon according to the author but I'll believe it when I see it

That's also usually just Marketing 101 when they go on press junkets.

Unless you see it referred to in the manga, take it with a grain of salt. Even then it will usually be a "Remember that thing we did on that island?" throw away comment (Which makes it cannon)
The anime series may treat it differently because they timed the movie release inline with the Season 3 ending.

DATS ANIME FOLKS

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The anime had A Very Special Episode entirely disconnected from the arc that was running at the time they they just dropped in as a prequel to the movie

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Deku was basically Breaks-His-Arms Kid before remembering he had legs and started kicking things.
(Body armor and learning how to evenly distribute his power helped too).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I do remember a scene from Glory where the hero manages to punch someone so hard her arm explodes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samovar posted:

I do remember a scene from Glory where the hero manages to punch someone so hard her arm explodes.

I saw that page and immediately thought of that.

And they really do get patched up, Henry is just that good of a doctor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Secret Weapons #4.

So Valiant has its own megalomaniac counterpart of Charles Xavier and this book is about the people rejected from his institute for having worthless powers. Like a guy whose only ability is to make anything inanimate he touches glow. Of our main characters, there's Nikki (can communicate with birds), Avichal (can turn himself into unbreakable stone, though it makes him immobile) and Owen. Owen's deal is that he conjures objects, both on purpose and randomly, and he can't choose what the object is. It always seems like something worthless in regards to the situation, but as the reader goes further and further into the book, it becomes more apparent that these objects are imperative to his survival, usually in a roundabout way.

They're being hunted by a creature named Rex-0, who wants to kill them and steal their powers.

(Nikki's okay!)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's such a good gimmick for a comic, "people with lovely powers" :allears:
e: TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE
CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I was secretly hoping the monster guy would burst out of the wrecked piano with the keys for teeth.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In City of Heroes I had a character who could summon objects and throw them at people. Sometimes it would be a shopping cart or a gas cylinder but now and then you'd get a nice one like a car or a pool table and then it was CLOBBERIN' TIME. :argh:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gavok posted:

(Nikki's okay!)

:allears:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't decide whether to put this here or in the funny thread but I'll settle on here. So, Spider-Geddon #5, a little setup:

There are these evil vampire people called the Inheritors who hop from universe to universe feeding exclusively on the life energy of Spider-People. They're way stronger than any spider and have basically only two weaknesses: radiation, and piercing weapons. There's been a plan for the last couple of issues that they can use Japanese Spider-Man's giant robot Leopardon's Sword Vigor attack to wipe them out. (There's also a running gag where Doc Ock has to convince him to use the sword first, mocking the tendency of toku/sentai/giant robot shows to only use their most powerful attacks as finishers). Oh, and Miles Morales has become Captain Universe.

(cut to later in the issue)

(Don't worry, they patch Leopardon up at the end of the issue)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Criminal! Murderer!" cries the vampires who hop dimensions eating Spider-mans. There is no kettle black enough for this particular pot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From Spider-Verse 1 #2, the Anarchist Spider-Man is using a van packed tight with the most powerful speakers they can cram into it to fight the Venom-enhanced forces of tyranny and oppression.

Look at the sound effects. Look at what he's playing.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Phy posted:

From Spider-Verse 1 #2, the Anarchist Spider-Man is using a van packed tight with the most powerful speakers they can cram into it to fight the Venom-enhanced forces of tyranny and oppression.

loving brilliant.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phy posted:

That's loving awesome. It's second only to a sound effect for bathroom exploding being literally "Ba-THROOM"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"They are like vampires, but they eat spider people and jump dimensions" was the stupidest loving idea anyone ever had except for the idea to keep coming back to that well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least they learned their lesson and gave Leopardon a bigger part this time

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I give up.

I can't read the guitar sound effects.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Here's my lovely 5-second attempt at pointing it out. It's the spiderman theme song

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Inheritors are garbage and I hope Sony has the good sense to keep them as far away from the film franchise as possible.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Nighthand posted:

Here's my lovely 5-second attempt at pointing it out. It's the spiderman theme song

i figured it wa sbut i couldnt for the life of me read it either, ta

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only good thing about the Inheritors is that everything Spider-Verse is incredible.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:okpos: "you know morlun? I love that guy. what if there was like an entire universe of just him, like, a legion of morluns?"

:catdrugs: "dude what if there was an entire multiverse of him, every possible version of him working together! Crossing worlds to...to...what does he do?"

:okpos: "mostly fight Spiderman"

:catdrugs: "to fight spider men! People! All the spider people anywhere!"

I can only imagine that's how the conversation went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Push El Burrito posted:

The only good thing about the Inheritors is that everything Spider-Verse is incredible.

Except the actual event, which sucked.