Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Not a Step posted:

No, its the candidates fault for sucking rear end. Run better candidates.
Naw man, refusing to pull the lever on the track is effectively the same as murdering those five people directly. You don't get an avoid taking responsibility for your actions just because someone else set up a lovely situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, I'm hoping for both A) infinite investigations into the multitudinous crimes of the administration in general and Donald in particular and B) quixotic passing of good bills to force the Senate to go on record against Medicare for All / living wage / voting rights act mk2 / legal weed

heck, spit out a clean infrastructure spending bill, it might actually fuckin pass

I mean now is the chance, why not ask high and see what, if anything the Republicans might be willing to negotiate on.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pander posted:

Uh, yeah. There's almost certainly less corruption in voting these days. It gets harder with greater technological safeguards and expectations. Not to say it's not rife with problems still, but my god there's a reason people joke about the dead voting.

For a long time people held that Chicago's Mayor Daley hand-delivered the 1960 election to Kennedy. There's a WaPo article debunking some of the myths there, although even that can't say there wasn't at least some modicum of fraud going on.

No no I mean the President going on TV and saying that there's massive voter fraud occurring and senators / governors also going along with it saying there's a massive conspiracy to rig elections. That sort of speech delegitimizes the entire process and they're playing with fire by hammering on it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Tibalt posted:

Naw man, refusing to pull the lever is effectively the same as murdering those five people directly. You don't get an avoid taking responsibility for your actions just because someone else set up a lovely situation.

The guy tying people to tracks and setting up twisted scenarios is pretty culpable here. Like, Im pretty sure a jury would give me manslaughter at most, probably with a suspended sentence, but I think Jigsaw would go away for life.

Jigsaw being the Democratic Party, who feels confidant in pushing poo poo corporate candidates because they have a permanent hostage crisis

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Not a Step posted:

The guy tying people to tracks and setting up twisted scenarios is pretty culpable here. Like, Im pretty sure a jury would give me manslaughter at most, probably with a suspended sentence, but I think Jigsaw would go away for life.

Jigsaw being the Democratic Party, who feels confidant in pushing poo poo corporate candidates because they have a permanent hostage crisis

What?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tibalt posted:

Naw man, refusing to pull the lever on the track is effectively the same as murdering those five people directly. You don't get an avoid taking responsibility for your actions just because someone else set up a lovely situation.

This isn't how Democracy works and the fact that you think it is is a huge indictment of America's failure to implement it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I could actually maybe see legal weed squeaking through, but I don't know Mcconnell's personal opinion on the topic

it would be hilarious to see it discharge petitioned by GOP senators from weedliker states (incidentally another example of why as thin a Senate majority as possible is good)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I could actually maybe see legal weed squeaking through, but I don't know Mcconnell's personal opinion on the topic

it would be hilarious to see it discharge petitioned by GOP senators from weedliker states

Kentucky is a massive illicit weed farm.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol good luck lady

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dude attempted to equate blaming the candidate for being poo poo instead of the voter to refusing to pull the lever in the classic trolley ethical dilemma, tacitly admitting both parties are murderous and inhumane. I countered with 'perhaps whoever is tying people to tracks to set up dumbass trolley problems would be at fault'.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Tibalt posted:

The #2 Democrat in the House is on tape saying that of course the Democrats rig their own primaries in favor of people the establishment likes. Nancy Pelosi herself is on record defending that statement. The DNC has literally argued in court that they're entitled to rig their own primaries and under no obligation to anyone to hold a fair process at all. This isn't Republican smears: this is straight from the mouths of Democratic leaders. Your fantasy world where people vote their conscience in the primaries, and vote for the Democrat in the general, and in that way achieve positive change, is a loving farce and the leaders of the Democratic party have already made absolutely sure that that strategy, taken on its own, can never meaningfully change the Democratic party or make it a threat to its donors. It is a rigged game.

To take your stupid analogy to it's logical conclusion: you're pissed at the people trying to decide whether to pull the lever, and completely ignoring the assholes who put the people on the tracks in the first place.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chilichimp posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

People have been losing their minds on my facebook feed about how this little known Korean immigrant who no one payed any attention to was going to be elected to Congress.

Please, oh please... fuckin' do this.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

For anyone who still think demographics are destiny for the democrats, I would like them to meet the new rep for CA-39 (Orange County), the first korean american woman in congresss who is 100% trumpist.

She won in a district that's only 34% white, so much for that destiny.

I think Charlie Kirk may read this thread.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ague Proof posted:

They don't have to pretend to tell the truth any more. They will even choose to believe things they know are stupid if they think it will piss you off.

The leading Republican in the House now that Paul Ryan's gone is on audio saying it. Swear to God.

https://twitter.com/RussContreras/status/1061469884775727104

I enjoy that the entire crux of her case that there's something fishy going on is that she gave a celebration speech and went to bed thinking she had won, so it must be unfair if that wasn't true.

Like, neither of them even tried to make an argument that there was something questionable about the votes. Just "Everyone said I won so it doesn't seem fair to change your mind."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Republicans gaslighting by insisting that counting absentee ballots is voter fraud is the current "republicans will say this even if they don't believe it just to piss of the libs".

Urban areas favor democrats, which in turn have their polling locations reduced by republicans, which creates long lines on election day. This leads to democrats outperforming in both early and absentee voting, because people wish to avoid standing in lines for 3-4 hours just to vote.

Here we are, huge wave election for democrats, and enthusiasm is through the roof... but a lot of close, lean R elections get called for the Republican on election day by outlets eager to settle questions in their election day coverage.

But these races were close, and as the polls close and those polling numbers are sent to the state... then the hand-counting of absentee ballots begins. Literally 10's of thousands for each urban district, because people DO NOT WANT TO STAND IN LINE FOR 4 HOURS ON ELECTION DAY.

As that counting continues, the vote totals narrow, and cynical republican hacks who completely understand the system start claiming fraud and demanding that the counting stop, because they're ahead... knowing full well that if the counting continues, they might lose. Again. They do not believe there is fraud. They know the demographics of these urban centers and know that they stand a serious chance of losing if all ballots are counted. They're claiming fraud as a pretext to prevent that.

... and the chuds and bot army lap that poo poo up, son. Rick Scott just tweeted about his 7500 strong recount army that will ensure there is no fraud... because he has unleashed a beast he cannot control. There are hundreds of people picketing outside of Broward county election offices. In that tweet, Scott set the stage for him to declare there was no fraud when he loses, because his army of recounters couldn't have screwed up, or to say they saved Florida from the wicked democrats if he wins. He's trying to put pandora back in the box, but Scott... SCOTT... You can't put that bitch back in. She's all over the place now and that's on you, brother.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 11, 2018

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it would be hilarious to see it discharge petitioned by GOP senators from weedliker states (incidentally another example of why as thin a Senate majority as possible is good)

I think there's too much Pharma, Tobacco and Alcohol money in Washington for something like this to pass with broad Republican support.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
man if the Democrats actually pull a senate seat out of Florida in the recount the FBI is going to need to go on high alert. The chuds would absolutely flip their lids over this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoy that the entire crux of her case that there's something fishy going on is that she gave a celebration speech and went to bed thinking she had won, so it must be unfair if that wasn't true.

Like, neither of them even tried to make an argument that there was something questionable about the votes. Just "Everyone said I won so it doesn't seem fair to change your mind."

I really think we need to start getting ready for elections not being settled in a single night. The last fifty years of televised election returns have really spoiled the country.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Starsfan posted:

man if the Democrats actually pull a senate seat out of Florida in the recount the FBI is going to need to go on high alert. The chuds would absolutely flip their lids over this.

also Rick Scott will snap and try to Avada Kedavra Nelson

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

This isn't how Democracy works and the fact that you think it is is a huge indictment of America's failure to implement it

You're absolutely right. America is currently in the grips of a full-blown fascist meltdown and we're slipping into authoritarianism.

You vote against that. You don't need more reasons to vote against that. America is hosed up and your electoral decisions are not normal right now.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ego-bot posted:

I think there's too much Pharma, Tobacco and Alcohol money in Washington for something like this to pass with broad Republican support.
They are probably fighting over which faction would control it, if anything.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As I recall, much of his early political success stems from openly courting the tobacco industry for $$$ that he used to outspend his opponents 10 to 1.

I think he's bought and paid for and no weed bill is ever going to hit the Senate floor.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tibalt posted:

Another useful metric is whether they think a first term Representative with no previous political experience is a viable candidate for Speaker, a position that rules through a hazy web of personal rapport, mutual respect, experience, and amassed political favors.

Uh, Henry Clay was elected Speaker of the House as a first term representative and he quickly became the most influential legislator in this country between 1789 and 1860.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The #2 Democrat in the House is on tape saying that of course the Democrats rig their own primaries in favor of people the establishment likes. Nancy Pelosi herself is on record defending that statement. The DNC has literally argued in court that they're entitled to rig their own primaries and under no obligation to anyone to hold a fair process at all. This isn't Republican smears: this is straight from the mouths of Democratic leaders. Your fantasy world where people vote their conscience in the primaries, and vote for the Democrat in the general, and in that way achieve positive change, is a loving farce and the leaders of the Democratic party have already made absolutely sure that that strategy, taken on its own, can never meaningfully change the Democratic party or make it a threat to its donors. It is a rigged game.

To take your stupid analogy to it's logical conclusion: you're pissed at the people trying to decide whether to pull the lever, and completely ignoring the assholes who put the people on the tracks in the first place.

The assholes putting people on the tracks are Republicans. Vote against them please.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Ague Proof posted:

They don't have to pretend to tell the truth any more. They will even choose to believe things they know are stupid if they think it will piss you off.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

You're absolutely right. America is currently in the grips of a full-blown fascist meltdown and we're slipping into authoritarianism.

You vote against that. You don't need more reasons to vote against that. America is hosed up and your electoral decisions are not normal right now.

The other side currently represents a slower slide into fascism and corporate fuedalism, not a reversal of course. Feeling completely disenfranchised and not wanting to participate is a completely normal reaction to the current clusterfuck.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also do not believe the claim of "Democrats are on record of defending rigging their primaries" is 100% true and not another example of taking words out of context or overly negative interpretation.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Chilichimp posted:

The assholes putting people on the tracks are Republicans. Vote against them please.
I do. My point is that your anger is misplaced, and more importantly futile.

(Also, you're wrong - the Republicans are the ones driving the trolley.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Legal weed has a chance to make it through the Senate. Don't the states that have legal weed have some Republican Senators?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Raenir Salazar posted:

I also do not believe the claim of "Democrats are on record of defending rigging their primaries" is 100% true and not another example of taking words out of context or overly negative interpretation.

That’s because it isn’t true, and a willful misinterpretation meant to justify inaction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Legal weed has a chance to make it through the Senate. Don't the states that have legal weed have some Republican Senators?

I think it's a legitimate issue for those Republican senators or other Republicans that maybe it harms their evangelical support base which are probably absolutely against "the devil's weed". Also legalizing weed removes a tool from law enforcement to target african americans which is also something they might not like even if their states legalized it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Not a Step posted:

No, its the candidates fault for sucking rear end. Run better candidates.

grade A privileged bullshit liberal smugness right here folks

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ossoff was bad, sorry libs.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Raenir Salazar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgPyKt-ysY

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Raenir Salazar posted:

ok
https://theintercept.com/2018/04/26/steny-hoyer-audio-levi-tillemann/

quote:

In a frank and wide-ranging conversation, Hoyer laid down the law for Tillemann. The decision, Tillemann was told, had been made long ago. It wasn’t personal, Hoyer insisted, and there was nothing uniquely unfair being done to Tillemann, he explained: This is how the party does it everywhere.
https://observer.com/2017/05/dnc-lawsuit-presidential-primaries-bernie-sanders-supporters/

quote:

Shortly into the hearing, DNC attorneys claim Article V, Section 4 of the DNC Charter—stipulating that the DNC chair and their staff must ensure neutrality in the Democratic presidential primaries—is “a discretionary rule that it didn’t need to adopt to begin with.” Based on this assumption, DNC attorneys assert that the court cannot interpret, claim, or rule on anything associated with whether the DNC remains neutral in their presidential primaries.
oh and saving the best for last, here's Pelosi defending Hoyer:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/26/nancy-pelosi-steny-hoyer-recordings-555935

quote:

“I don’t see anything inappropriate in what Mr. Hoyer was engaged in conversation about,” Pelosi told reporters at her weekly news conference. “If the realities of life is that some candidates can do better in the general than others, then that’s a clear-eyed conversation that we should be having.”
yikes:

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That’s because it isn’t true, and a willful misinterpretation meant to justify inaction.
You're a loving idiot if you think that since I was pretty clearly not using it to justify inaction, but rather to direct anger where it belongs.

e: like that was some seriously bad faith posting and you should gently caress yourself

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 11, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I do. My point is that your anger is misplaced, and more importantly futile.

(Also, you're wrong - the Republicans are the ones driving the trolley.)

My anger isn't misplaced. I'm angry at fascists and I want my anti-fascist bros to help me turn it around.

When someone says "no, gently caress you, these guys aren't nearly socialist enough"... I get a little, necessarily, fuckin' angry about that. You're not saying that, so I'm not talking about you.

Democrats are not the fascists. They're insufferable decorum liberals at times, but that's better than gaslighting lunatics who want to cynically ignore customs and norms so they can put brown people into camps in the desert.

Also, it's a trick trolly problem, the republicans are the ones who tied the folks up on the track and they're driving the train. You're actually not the one holding the lever, you're also tied up on the track and it's the democrats who have to pull the lever.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/lis_smith/status/1061321848762392578

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Uh, Henry Clay was elected Speaker of the House as a first term representative and he quickly became the most influential legislator in this country between 1789 and 1860.

It's so weird that Congress couldn't find someone who had served at least one term already back in 1789.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

The republicans are putting people on the republicans track, but the only way this analogy applies is if democrats are putting fewer people, but still putting people, on the democrats track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Ossoff was bad, sorry libs.

Agreed, but he was lightyears better than Karen loving Handel.