Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I was struck by this in Lakoff that Helsing posted.

"The most representative members of a category are called "prototypical" members."

In a quite a bit of Christian theology, I would say it's fair to say Jesus is treated as a "prototypical" member (with the specfic category varying for the specific theology ) of a category. Hell simply to say Jesus as the Christ is to assert this prototypical status. In the Trump thread a tweet of a billboard with Trump's photo overlayed with "the word made flesh" was posted. Basically it's swapping the prototype. It occurs to me that this is the way one could functionally turn one belief into another without nominally changing them. It also has a parallel in other D&D conversation some of us have had over the years re form vs content. I'd also say it has another parralel in the emptying out of things that capitalism can do.

How does one change talk about Freedom into a fascism, manipulation/replacement of the prototypes of categories would be one way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think this is maybe a bit more Jungian, but Trump certainly fits the archetype of "savior" for a lot of people.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oh yeah and that's specifically what that billboard was implying. It's really hosed up looking at it in terms of Soterology.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BrandorKP posted:

Oh yeah and that's specifically what that billboard was implying. It's really hosed up looking at it in terms of Soterology.

Is this a usual variant of soteriology's spelling or a witticism that really deserves attention because it's magnificent?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nah It's phone posting and I didn't notice, cause I blow at spelling.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
PJ what do you think about how increasingly common use by these things to resort to using weather control or satellite based weaponry to explain climate change related disasters? Is it a way for them to cope with the fact they cannot really love the idea of helping humanity?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Crowsbeak posted:

PJ what do you think about how increasingly common use by these things to resort to using weather control or satellite based weaponry to explain climate change related disasters? Is it a way for them to cope with the fact they cannot really love the idea of helping humanity?
Can someone translate this?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Climate Change Denial has moved into full on "Disasters are literally caused by government super weapons" territory. Like, they can't any longer just say they are not seeing it's effects. So now the effects are deliberately caused by evil faceless all powerful shadow orgs. Really I have gotten to the point with conspiracy theorists where I really think that they're so much trouble that there will need to be actual government orgs to silence such people. Like, there are some modes of thought that frankly if not controlled are just going to get millions killed because it feeds into the worst demons imaginable in humans.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

Corrupt hidden religion.

They think Jesus comes back when everyone goes back to their native lands except white people keep America, right?

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Oh the new conspiracy theory is a laser burning things in california to start the fires. Then speculation on why people are cynical and lovely enough to deny reality to the extent they have been recently.

Harold Fjord has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Nov 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of conspiracy theories basically come down to believing their political enemies are literally cartoon supervillains.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I think conspiracy theories actually boil down to people who are bored, unfulfilled, and mundane who want to feel extraordinary.

By definition most people are average. It shouldn't be an insult yet if you call someone average they very well may be insulted. Nobody wants to be mediocre. The information age has made it more apparent to the average person that they are average. You see the exceptional people everywhere on the news, TV, movies, talking about them online, doing great things, being your boss, etc. I think this draws out some cognitive dissonance in a mediocre person because they want to believe they're exceptional but every day they're reminded how ordinary and unaccomplished they are and this provokes unconscious negative emotions about themselves.

So wild conspiracy theories are very alluring for some people. Note that the far-fetched theories are the most alluring. Actual conspiracies usually involve a lot of boring stuff like fraud and aren't as exciting as alien UFOs and weather control devices. These insane conspiracies give ordinary people an opportunity to feel extraordinary without doing anything really. All you have to do is "wake up" to the truth, which means deciding that something is true and then working backwards to make reality fit your predetermined conclusion. And just like that they've become special and are now part of an enlightened elite who "gets it" and knows how the world really works and oh how they feel sorry for you sheep/NPCs who don't know about "the great awakening" or whatever myth they've collectively invented. Their stories tend to be very dramatic too, because these are people with boring lives and the conspiracies give them something to feel intensely about, even if it's intense anger or fear. The internet makes things worse for these people because it lets them become extremely insulated from reality and they get sucked into a feedback look of confirming each others' beliefs and helping people come up with creative (read: crazy) ways to make evidence fit a conclusion. I used to think people got into nutty conspiracies because they're ignorant or stupid. Now I think it's less about intelligence as much as it's about mediocrity.

I think authoritarians prey on the kinds of people who are inclined to conspiracies because they have a vulnerability. They don't feel exceptional. They don't feel like they have a purpose. Their world seems boring and painful.
Then along comes the authoritarian to tell them that they are exceptional and have a purpose. eg: You're white. You're special automatically. "They" don't want you to know the truth. Etc.

So we see a lot of ridiculous conspiracy theories being perpetuated by chronic underachievers and the mediocre. Ironically the most exceptional skill conspiracy theorists have is the ability to delude themselves about being exceptional.

Homocow has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Nov 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dead Beef posted:

I think conspiracy theories actually boil down to people who are bored, unfulfilled, and mundane who want to feel extraordinary.

By definition most people are average. It shouldn't be an insult yet if you call someone average they very well may be insulted. Nobody wants to be mediocre. The information age has made it more apparent to the average person that they are average. You see the exceptional people everywhere on the news, TV, movies, talking about them online, doing great things, being your boss, etc. I think this draws out some cognitive dissonance in a mediocre person because they want to believe they're exceptional but every day they're reminded how ordinary and unaccomplished they are and this provokes unconscious negative emotions about themselves.

So wild conspiracy theories are very alluring for some people. Note that the far-fetched theories are the most alluring. Actual conspiracies usually involve a lot of boring stuff like fraud and aren't as exciting as alien UFOs and weather control devices. These insane conspiracies give ordinary people an opportunity to feel extraordinary without doing anything really. All you have to do is "wake up" to the truth, which means deciding that something is true and then working backwards to make reality fit your predetermined conclusion. And just like that they've become special and are now part of an enlightened elite who "gets it" and knows how the world really works and oh how they feel sorry for you sheep/NPCs who don't know about "the great awakening" or whatever myth they've collectively invented. Their stories tend to be very dramatic too, because these are people with boring lives and the conspiracies give them something to feel intensely about, even if it's intense anger or fear. The internet makes things worse for these people because it lets them become extremely insulated from reality and they get sucked into a feedback look of confirming each others' beliefs and helping people come up with creative (read: crazy) ways to make evidence fit a conclusion. I used to think people got into nutty conspiracies because they're ignorant or stupid. Now I think it's less about intelligence as much as it's about mediocrity.

I think authoritarians prey on the kinds of people who are inclined to conspiracies because they have a vulnerability. They don't feel exceptional. They don't feel like they have a purpose. Their world seems boring and painful.
Then along comes the authoritarian to tell them that they are exceptional and have a purpose. eg: You're white. You're special automatically. "They" don't want you to know the truth. Etc.

So we see a lot of ridiculous conspiracy theories being perpetuated by chronic underachievers and the mediocre. Ironically the most exceptional skill conspiracy theorists have is the ability to delude themselves about being exceptional.

Basically, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJWlWG_42kE

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Being honest, I'll cop to having used to really enjoyed conspiracy theorizing. It was so much fun to puzzle out increasingly ludicrous but superficially plausible explanations to the most mundane stuff imaginable, all while trying to keep it consistent* with underlying thesis of there being some central "Them" controlling things for some unknowable but not-doubt sinister reasons. Of course, this was back when the people who actually took it seriously were confined to the AM radio set, and Alex Jones wasn't being literally consulted by the goddamn president of the United States.

*consistent here defined within a conspiratorial mindset, not in any way that necessarily makes sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly a lot of it will always be people figuring out that they’re being exploited and subjected to a system that puts them at a disadvantage, but then being too dumb or racist to accept the reasons why and embracing one of the endless variations on antisemitism instead.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crowsbeak posted:

It's a pretty natural evolution that is being caused by a combination of factors in my view. Weather control related conspiracies are actually kind of interesting because their acceptance into the broader conspiracy community was actually rather slow. Circa 2004 or so Alex Jones was fairly dismissive of HAARP conspiracies or Chemtrails and the like. (He was also against the "no planers" in the early days of 9-11 truth.) He would even cut off collars or occasionally dump them if they persisted in talking about things like chemtrails.

That started to change around 2007 or so, and he started to be more accepting of callers who wanted to discuss various weather control related conspiracy theories. By about 2010 or so he was 100% on board the Chemtrails and HAARP train*.

*I'm just now remembering that roundabout 2009 or so there were a number of mass animal die-offs (fish and birds) that had the conspiracy Community abuzz. The events themselves briefly received some national attention, but the conspiracy community really fixated on them. These animal die-offs were often explained as being the result of experiments with weather control weaponry.

Directed energy weapons have also had a fairly slow evolution of acceptance within the conspiracy community. The aforementioned "no planers" where a group of 9/11 truthers who believed that the planes that crashed into the towers were actually holographic projections, and that the towers were collapsed using satellite-based directed energy weapons. These were by far the least popular 9/11 truthers and we're pretty widely believed to be a cointelpro operation meant to discredit the 911 truth movement. I can remember Alex Jones going on long mocking tirades about the absurdity of using a directed energy weapon to knock down the Twin Towers or using a gigantic holographic projector to fake an aircraft slamming into a tower in broad daylight.

Then during the Iraq War the Conspiracy community started to latch onto various reports and or second hand accounts of directed energy weapons being used in Iraq- particularly during the era of "The Surge". Alex Jones was initially pretty skeptical of this if I recall correctly but came around pretty quickly, and when the surge resulted in the moderate quieting down and Iraq it was widely accepted within thecommunity that what had actually happened was that directed energy weapons had been used to nullify the Iraqi resistance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dead Beef posted:

It's certainly a part of it but there might be more to it than that. Conspiracy theories also attract people as entertainment, it's excitement without risk. You can be average and mediocre and still live in a world that has cabals and UFOs without actually confronting the supposed reality of those ideas. They're a form of voyeurism, like the flourishing true crime genre. They serve a similar function to fairy tales: preparing a person for the dangers of the outside world within a controlled narrative. Like fairy tales, they have rules about protagonists, villains, and narratives with one important difference: they can only imply conclusions because ironically, conclusions are death to conspiracy theories. Their "obvious" conclusion never occurs and in order to avoid this, the storytellers will sidetrack into another theory and so on until you get QAnon.

None that is important to the intended audience, who indeed never want the conspiracy theory fairy tale to actually end anyway.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i remember hearing this on the radio while i was driving a while back https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=614007959

quote:

TUFEKCI: So what's going on here isn't YouTube engineers are out to wreck the world, right? But they have set loose an algorithm that's optimized to grab your attention for as long as possible to keep you on the site under, their word for it, engagement while YouTube serves the ads. And the algorithm has sussed out that humans are particularly susceptible, especially young people are particularly susceptible, to the idea that they're discovering a secret, that they're being told something edgier - right? - something more extreme because it's kind of like, ooh, this is novel. I'm interested in this, right? It's sort of seducing you. It's sort of trying to play to your appetites. So the algorithm automatically plays more and more.

So if you just watch some political stuff, you end up with Alex Jones, who has all these horrible conspiracy theories. You watch some, you know, science stuff and three recommended autoplays later you're in the moon landing never happened. You watch something about Trump, and a little bit later, the algorithm is playing the Holocaust never happened stuff. So by optimizing for grabbing your attention, we have in effect through YouTube's recommender algorithm created this engine of extremism that is deployed globally.

RAZ: Zeynep, this is really bad.

TUFEKCI: I agree.

RAZ: Like, this is - this should never have been allowed to happen.

TL;DR: youtube is turning everyone into conspiracy nuts just so they can sell more ad time

its probably not a surprise to anyone posting here. yet another example to show: "propaganda works".

but what's scary and new is that the ideology behind the propaganda just doesn't matter at all to youtube. the only thing they're measuring is "engagement"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

They think Jesus comes back when everyone goes back to their native lands except white people keep America, right?

By hidden I mean things that do not outwardly appear or claim to be religions. Libertarianism is good example. Nationalism is another. Hidden doesn't nessisarily mean bad. Just hidden. The American Dream might be another example.

By corrupt, how to say this in non religious terms. Ok let's look at the Libertarians they talk about Freedom, that's their jam, freedom in human action. But if we actually look at the thing, it's more in reality like feudalism or contractual slavery. So basically you have an idea but the reality of the methodical development of that idea is it negation. Freedom that is a slavery.

By religion I mean our interaction with the symbolic to attempt to grasp the ineffable real. Now religion is actually way more broad and diverse than this and is really really hard to define, but this is the definition useful to this conversation. Worldview, ideology, and prester's narratives are close but not identical analogs.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- nm

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Unrelated, Skex is good people Prester. But, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I don't think you are. Neither was Stanton. The abolitionists did betray the feminists, by leaving women out of the thirteenth amendment. But they weren't wrong either. It wouldn't have been adopted if they hadn't.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i remember hearing this on the radio while i was driving a while back https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=614007959

TL;DR: youtube is turning everyone into conspiracy nuts just so they can sell more ad time

its probably not a surprise to anyone posting here. yet another example to show: "propaganda works".

but what's scary and new is that the ideology behind the propaganda just doesn't matter at all to youtube. the only thing they're measuring is "engagement"

yet another article that harps about "the algorithm" without acknowledging that someone had to write it.

not only that, but people with the power to change it looked at the numbers and went "it's okay that we're pushing terrorist propaganda on children"

last time i worked a recommendation system I realized it was recommending offensive content, so I fixed it. it's that simple.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Fixing the content recommendation system means identifying and calling out harmful content. One side of the political spectrum has decided that having their harmful content actually classified as harmful content is actually just discrimination and oppressive censorship. There are congresspeople with this point of view. There have been congressional committees that have called forth Silicon Valley CEOs and interrogated them about how biased they are towards those poor innocent conservative points of view like racist nationalism.

Google doesn't want to risk having YouTube be seen as "political" because that will unleash hell on earth for them. Because they refuse to take action, they are complicit in spreading hate. I don't think they understand this, neither does Zuckerberg, nor does Jack.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Currently they're platforms not responsible for the content posted they don't want lose that status.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

BrandorKP posted:

Unrelated, Skex is good people Prester. But, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I don't think you are. Neither was Stanton. The abolitionists did betray the feminists, by leaving women out of the thirteenth amendment. But they weren't wrong either. It wouldn't have been adopted if they hadn't.

Skex is one of the dumbest posters I've ever seen in D&D and that is saying something.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

salisbury shake posted:

yet another article that harps about "the algorithm" without acknowledging that someone had to write it.

not only that, but people with the power to change it looked at the numbers and went "it's okay that we're pushing terrorist propaganda on children"

last time i worked a recommendation system I realized it was recommending offensive content, so I fixed it. it's that simple.

nah she acknowledges that there are bad actors

quote:

...we're being told a story by Silicon Valley that this is inevitable, this is good or that this stuff has to come in combination. You know, if you're going to use digital stuff, you're going to have your attention manipulated and sold. It's just not true. They package it this way, and we don't have to.

her real problem is that she cant or wont make the explicit connection between the profit motive and pushing terrorist propaganda on children

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ximgPmJ9A5s

John Oliver did a segment on authoritarianism. Anyone still with enough patience to tolerate Oliver can say if it's a decent watch or does he do a bad job explaining it?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
he does a very good job explaining the preferred definition of authoritarianism by particularly american liberals, and completely ignores the fact that maybe.

JUST MAYBE

that the entire world seems to be going fascist at the same time might have one or even two common material causes, and that "institutions" might not be a significant bulwark against them. he's not even doing politics as much as armchair meteorology. and baby, it's cold outside

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Nov 19, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
an extremely smart man in glasses: hopefully the national police force and unelected and unaccountable IC panopticon can save us from authoritarianism

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
best part is at 4:25, when he shows the president of Turkmenistan push-pressing an empty barbell with poor form while his cabinet is forced to applaud him. and the barbell is gold for some reason

virgin jeb!: please clap
chad berdimuhamedow: clap for your life

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Drjohnhorgan/status/1065059937485754374?s=19

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I dont know what would be stupider, if they're just ignorant rear end honkies who are utterly oblivious or if they intentionally named themselves "Al Queda, but for whites"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.theonion.com/klan-rally-70-percent-undercover-reporters-1819566475

It's this, except FBI.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im weaponizing the lingo itt to destroy all authoritarians in my life today. g*d bless

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
All Dengists are Fascists

https://twitter.com/minorujoeling/status/1065524520461623296

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Calibanibal posted:

im weaponizing the lingo itt to destroy all authoritarians in my life today. g*d bless

Hold on to that thought because I am working something along those lines at present and hope to have some rough drafts ready for this thread around the first of the year- specifically I am working on a comprehensive package meant to explain to a layman how to combat the spread of Narrativism online. Right now its all a bit rough but as of now I am working on five main parts:

• 1.) a self-help guide of sorts meant to help individuals recognize and overcome Narrativism within themselves. I am basing this off things I learned while reprogramming myself as well as several letters I have received from individuals who found my work to be useful in de-radicalizing themselves. Right now this is designed as a series of open ended questions about the structure of ones beliefs meant to provoke self-reflection. (e.g. "Is there a group or ideology that I believe is the source of the majority of the worlds problems? If this group or ideology were to somehow vanish tomorrow do I believe that a healthy "natural order" would quickly assert itself and resolve most or all of the worlds problems?")

• 2.) A guide for debating Narrativists that focuses primarily on how to either trigger an outburst of the inner narrative or to simply "let them fish-gallon right off a cliff".

• 3.) A discussion for how to defeat the iconography and identifying symbols that Narrativists inevitably create for themselves. ("Winning the Meme Wars"). This focuses on using high quality work to infuse as many contradictory and bizarre associations into Narrativist memes as possible and there for reduce their power to dada-esque bizarre nonsense. (e.g. imagine an animated transgender Pepe Luther King Jr giving an impassioned speech about seizing the means of production)

• 4.) A guide on how to infiltrate Narrativist communities for the purposes of monitoring and doxxing. (e.g. a great way to get insider access to where the juiciest stuff is discussed is to identify a leader and post a public testimonial about how something you learned from them allowed you to win a confrontation with The Enemy).

• 5.) A guide on how to disrupt Narrativist infiltrated Narrativist communities by discreetly driving what I call "hypercompaction"; basically helping natural compaction cycles to occur too frequently for the community to maintain "Narrative Cohesion" and causing the community to collapse into disparate factions feuding over the remnants ala what is presently occurring in the Proud Boys community.

This is going to be a lot of work and I am going to need good feedback to get this project into a publicly presentable state. But I am at a point where I feel trying to turn my work into useful tools is much more important than distracting some of the really abstract ideas that underlie my work.

Also I have been taking some of the threads advice to heart and have been actively reaching out to people. On Monday I have a phone interview with a Huffpo reporter who is doing an article about LGBT children who went through Accelerated Christian Education.

Finally I am hoping someone can help me out with my av. A very kind goon sent me a code for a new av but what I want is a bit beyond my present technical capabilitues. So I am asking for help. If someone could make an av-compliant gif of the hula hoop girl in the video below and send it to me that would be amazing beyond description :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQGRg8XBnB4&t=129s

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
From another thread

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

post trump voters realizing that their childhoods never died under trump

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1070071249253093376

Strongman-type personalities are very appealing in times of socioeconomic or political crisis, as the population is less able to think rationally but is rather overcome with fear, or desire to draw strength from fantastical ideas. This happens to normal people in times of stress, or to people whose development has been stunted because of emotional injury. The problem is, the person who promises the impossible and states, “I alone can fix it,” and gives himself an A+ on his performance, is not a strong person who can deliver but the opposite. So Mr. Trump’s “base“ looks for someone to rescue them and their intense yearning does not allow them to see through his deception, while Mr. Trump senses better than anyone their needs (they are his) and makes use of them for his own benefit—even as he disdains his supporters for being so gullible. In this manner, they fulfill each other’s emotional needs in a mutually unhealthy way.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

With R. Dickovitch having banned the OP, any thoughts on the rise of the mad as hell left, folks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWxsT-Srdto

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
holy poo poo pj why did you toxx for basta ahahahaha

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
owned lmao turns out PJ was the strongman narrativist all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

T-man posted:

With R. Dickovitch having banned the OP, any thoughts on the rise of the mad as hell left, folks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWxsT-Srdto

I'm not sure they're going to take it anymore