Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Awesome, last week I discovered a treasure trove of baptismal attestations in an unlikely place! I mean I'm not the first one to discover them (they're in the state archives), but you know.

Basically, in the 1850s the Danish crown was selling some of its land holdings to the copyholders who lived there. During this process, a huge number of identification papers were required, which were then after use neatly stacked in boxes. This is especially useful for those of us with ancestors who were born in a place/period where the church records have burned.

I've been going through the ones for my hometown and the final tally is: certificates with precise birthdates (instead of the years calculated from age I had before) for 5 direct ancestors! :woop:

Oh my god what a lucky find. How close were your estimates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

No more than a year or two off. These people were born around 1800, so they're in a bunch of census records that generally have accurate ages by that time.

It just looks & feels so much better to have "born December 15, 1801" than "born circa 1802" you know? :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thing is, there are two numbers in the top corner of each certificate. The one number I easily identified as the 1844 cadastre of the given house+plot (cause I recognized the one my great grandparents lived in). The other number, however, is super elusive and it's really itching in my brain.

I've ruled out it being the older 1688 cadastre that was in use until the 1844 one, as well as several other likely candidates (fire insurance, a 1718 sub-cadastre) so I'm at a loss. There's a clear 1-to-1 correspondence between the numbers, and there's a mix of sequential lumps with outliers in a way that matches up with my "cadastral matching experience".

Like, going from cadastre A to B, the houses will match up like below, because it would be a dude walking down streets or something, and he picked a different order than the previous guy.

quote:

A -> B
1 -> 1 (same house)
2 -> 2 (ditto)
3 -> 6 (going down this street the opposite way)
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 -> X (house torn down since)
7 -> 7
X -> 3 (new house)
X -> 8 (new house)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well, the Elizabeth Warren Native DNA thing is gettin' folks all riled up again so for the record, this is a very nice summary of A) DNA testing in general and how it works B) Warren's DNA test in particular C) The dude who interpreted it and what the results mean and D) how jealous we should all be of her getting her custom DNA test interpreted by one of the leaders in the field.

Seriously, if you have any interest in genetic genealogy this is a really nice primer for the subject in general and this topic in particular and its like FOUR POSTS LONG so nerd out, fellow gg nerds.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 20, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Question - if I'm at all sort of interested in tracking my dad's side of my ancestry (much easier than mom's side unfortunately), should I have him do one of these male-only tests? We are fairly estranged so I hadn't really considered it (and money is tight) but he's in really poor health and may not have much longer to live, so if I ever want to consider doing it the time is now, I guess. The good thing is he is interested in genealogy and doesn't have much to lose, so he'd probably do it if I asked, but I'm not sure if it's worth chasing. I don't have any brothers/first cousins/any other living male relatives on his side any more direct than like a third cousin probably.

If he's it for the male line and he's in poor health then yeah you're going to want to spring for it. If you think he can make it til November they usually have great sales for Black Friday/Cyber Monday (the day after U.S. Thanksgiving and Monday after, respectively). You'll want FTDNA for your tests, you can go with the cheapest for the nonce and then spring for the more expensive when your finances change, they'll store the DNA for further testing. If you can swing it I'd go for at least the Y-37. Its currently available for 169 bucks but I've seen it as low as 129 so just keep an eye on it. The highest I'd go is Y-67 for your purposes but again, you can upgrade your Y-37 later for a reduced price IIRC.

That said, you don't have to just wait for testing, you can start doing actual genealogy now (unless he's adopted or something). Ask your oldest family members questions on that side, any family lore, where they came from, where great-grandpa was born, stuff like that. If you can get back to your grandparents/great-grandparents you can start using census info and work your way back that way. Feel free to ask questions everyone here is a big ol' nerd that loves bloviating on about boring research into dusty old dead people records.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 20, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Actually Filipino records aren’t too bad thanks to it being really Catholic (and god knows the One True Church loooves it’s bookkeeping) and anything pre-60s will likely be in Latin (thanks Vatican II!) or Spanish (it was a Spanish colony for ages) so it might be easier than you think. I dunno that I’d recommend tourism at this date and time, however. You can see what the Mormons have here along with tips tricks etc.

It looks like they can test for Y from family finder; I believe I did that for my dad a few years ago and it was fine.

Stick that family bible data into a tree and see what pops up. You can search for various names dates and places for free on familysearch though you will need to create an account. Ancestry has more records but they cost money and you can get quite a long way with just what’s publicly available on familysearch. You might be surprised.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 20, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Unfortunately, while I'm much more interested in my mom's side, she's from the Philippines, which probably already means a lack of records, plus any info about her father beyond a name and an approximate time he was last around is just a total black hole. If records exist at all (and I'm not optimistic) I doubt they're online and I'd also need a translator - making it pretty difficult to even get started beyond one or two steps at the moment.

Have a look at Wikitree some time. Because they're working on a single global tree, you can get a lot of help with local research and translations, if there is someone else on Wikitree from the right place. It's pretty US centric so far, but still worth a try if you can cope with the format, I think.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the advice! Do you know if I can just start with the Family Finder and then add on the Y tests, or do you think I'd have to start with the Y-37 in order to do any of them later? I've talked with him about it some before but unfortunately there's just not many people to ask - I'm the third only child in a row of that line and trying to branch out from great-grandparents isn't super fruitful with everyone being dead/estranged/etc. There aren't zero leads but not many I could contact easily. I came into possession of a family bible with some names and birthdates in it a few years ago, but that's about it. We had tons of old pictures, letters, that kind of thing that he let rot for years, which are probably either in an unpreservable state, or unlikely to make it to my possession after his death. To be frank he might ask for a bribe just to get him to spit into a tube :cripes: I haven't started a real genealogy project in earnest but it was something we had talked about before things deteriorated so much. I guess I'm hoping to ensure I have the best chance to continue after he passes, which could be next week, could be next year. :shrug:

Unfortunately, while I'm much more interested in my mom's side, she's from the Philippines, which probably already means a lack of records, plus any info about her father beyond a name and an approximate time he was last around is just a total black hole. If records exist at all (and I'm not optimistic) I doubt they're online and I'd also need a translator - making it pretty difficult to even get started beyond one or two steps at the moment. :( Ultimately though it's mostly just self-indulgence anyway I guess, since it's just me and I don't plan on having kids, but I'd like to be able to help my mom learn some things if possible. If you guys have any other advice or suggestions I'd love to hear it.

I just did the Family Tree DNA test and while it hasn't pegged me to anyone on my dad's side, it's still good to lock that down in case a paternal relative of your father contributes their DNA. You can also upload those results to other DNA services which will expand the net.

I was in a similar boat with a very incomplete line on my father's side (stopped with my deceased dad and a misspelled grandfather's name). Finding an old marriage license broke open the floodgates and got me all the way to 1804 with 100% confidence. The DNA will eventually get me further than that. So hang in there on the research.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ok! DNA news incoming!

MyHeritage posted:

previously MyHeritage did not support the upload of tests based on the chip called GSA (Global Screening Array), that is used by 23andMe (V5), and by Living DNA. Recent improvements to our DNA algorithms allow us to support DNA data processed on GSA chips, and so we’re happy to update you that MyHeritage now supports 23andMe V5 and Living DNA data uploads, in addition to data uploads from all major DNA testing services, including Ancestry, 23andMe (up to V5) and Family Tree DNA (Family Finder).
Upload your DNA data to MyHeritage now — it’s fast and simple. If you upload now, you will get full access to DNA Matching, Ethnicity Estimates, our industry-leading chromosome browser, and more, for FREE.
If you manage additional DNA kits for some of your relatives, and you have their permission, upload their DNA data too, and MyHeritage will let you associate the data with the respective individuals on your family tree.
As of December 1st 2018, our DNA upload policy will change: DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features will require an extra payment for DNA files uploaded after this date. All DNA data that was uploaded to MyHeritage in the past, and all DNA data that is uploaded now and prior to December 1, 2018 will continue to enjoy full access to all DNA features for free. These uploads will be grandfathered in and will remain free.
So it’s a great idea to upload DNA files for any kits you have as soon as possible.

Also Yakiniku Teishoku heads up:

quote:

FamilyTreeDNA is offering the following discounts exclusively to MyHeritage users:

Y-DNA37 (paternal line, for males only): Was $169 Now only $109. Order here.

mtFull Sequence (maternal line, for males and females): Was $199 Now only $159. Order here.
These two tests offer a greater chance for you to discover previously unknown relatives through ever-expanding DNA matching Y-DNA and mtDNA databases which allow you to go deeper into your specific lines. Y-DNA tests examine the deep paternal line and can go back dozens of generations. mtDNA tests examine the maternal line and can also go back more than a thousand years.
Don’t miss out — this special offer expires on November 10th, 2018.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Black Friday is creeping up and Ancestry is out to bag as many customers as it can.

Ancestry is offering a 'holiday sale' of kits for $59 dollars (US), and slightly higher sale prices in Europe/CA ($99)/AU ($109) This goes til like two days before Black Friday when traditionally they have kits on sale for $49 bucks, so if that ten bucks is going to break the bank for you wait til Black Friday and hop on at midnight to be sure you score a kit. People also often manage to score free shipping on Amazon by ordering from there, though it looks like the sale is currently only available from ancestry's site judging by the prices on both ATM.

Use this link to donate a bit of your purchase to Kits for Kindness (for adoptees looking for birth parents who can't afford to buy their own kits)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle: It's a good thing you're doing, keeping us up to speed on the offers. Thanks for it! :)

I have a question for yall: Is there an English word for Norwegian bygdebok ("village-book") or German Ortsfamilienbuch ("place-families-book")? In which a genealogist (or a team of same) sit(s) down and document(s) everything there is to document about the personal/relational history of some place?

Fwiw, I've also had problems finding a Danish word, the closest so far is hjemstavnsbog (Heimat-book) but those focus more on general history than personal history.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Oracle: It's a good thing you're doing, keeping us up to speed on the offers. Thanks for it! :)

I have a question for yall: Is there an English word for Norwegian bygdebok ("village-book") or German Ortsfamilienbuch ("place-families-book")? In which a genealogist (or a team of same) sit(s) down and document(s) everything there is to document about the personal/relational history of some place?

Fwiw, I've also had problems finding a Danish word, the closest so far is hjemstavnsbog (Heimat-book) but those focus more on general history than personal history.

Thanks! 23&Me is also trotting out their rather excellent 'buy two or more kits and they're $49 bucks each' deal for the same amount of time that I am actually going to jump onto so I can get my DNA in there for my great-aunt/dad. (note this doesn't include the health crap)

As far as names for that, not really? Family history/county history is probably as close as you're going to get, though they have been written. Like the entire state of Michigan got on this bandwagon of 'every county needs its own history written about its most influential families' thing about a century ago, you can find them online. They leave a LOT out (who cares about the Catholic Irish and French settlers they're trash) and whitewash a ton of other stuff and are definitely products of their times but you can find information there.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 2, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thx...! Yeah it's pretty shameful how much is left out in older publications. Those Michigan ones sound like the Danish hjemstavnsbøger I've seen. They'll tell you about the prominent families but they're nowhere near exhaustive.

I'm working on a [____]book about the fishing hamlet one of my ancestors came from because I wouldn't feel comfortable assuming he was the son of A if he turns out to be the son of B. Trying to document all 8–12 households over a century to make clear that there is only that one house in which he could be born. I really want to know who his parents are and I don't think I can feel certain until I've been through every imaginable source. So why not publish that for others to use? Hence, I need a name for it.

btw I wrote the local archives and they're clearly not historians: "I heard they lived in dirt caves" uhh thx for the centuries old bigotry lol (I can document they lived in houses for 300+ years so it must be a really old prejudice)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Thx...! Yeah it's pretty shameful how much is left out in older publications. Those Michigan ones sound like the Danish hjemstavnsbøger I've seen. They'll tell you about the prominent families but they're nowhere near exhaustive.

I'm working on a [____]book about the fishing hamlet one of my ancestors came from because I wouldn't feel comfortable assuming he was the son of A if he turns out to be the son of B. Trying to document all 8–12 households over a century to make clear that there is only that one house in which he could be born. I really want to know who his parents are and I don't think I can feel certain until I've been through every imaginable source. So why not publish that for others to use? Hence, I need a name for it.

btw I wrote the local archives and they're clearly not historians: "I heard they lived in dirt caves" uhh thx for the centuries old bigotry lol (I can document they lived in houses for 300+ years so it must be a really old prejudice)

Could they be confusing dugout or sod houses for 'dirt caves?' Those were a thing among settlers in the Great Plains/Canada during the 19th century because lol no trees/rocks.

And yeah I'd just call that 'History of <fishing hamlet name>' and its inhabitants' plus maybe the dates you're covering.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ya my working title is "Denizens of __ in the 18th Century"

Possbly the person who answered me was confused, but they were definitely thatched timber-framed houses even then. This was royal land, so there was a great encouragement to maintain and improve the house for the next tenant.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Apropos old bigotry, all the fishing hamlets had names for each other, each hamlet a different epithet: Dogs, Cats, Roosters, Rats, Chinese (many of the latter did sail with the Royal Danish East India Company, but so did the others & nobody has any idea aboutt the animal names; some suggest a founders effect in their facial makeup)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Apropos old bigotry, all the fishing hamlets had names for each other, each hamlet a different epithet: Dogs, Cats, Roosters, Rats, Chinese (many of the latter did sail with the Royal Danish East India Company, but so did the others & nobody has any idea aboutt the animal names; some suggest a founders effect in their facial makeup)

Dogs Roosters and Rats are all on the Chinese Zodiac, fitting in with your Chinese theme I guess? (no cat but there is a tiger)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Interesting suggestion, but these folks had no idea about anything but the bible and the black magic Cyprianus.

There is a story about one couple of my greatX grandparents. He was sailing to the Indies (ca. 1770s) and he was in love with a local woman who was in love with another man. So he went to a wise man in the Indies, and the wise man showed him a bowl of water, and told him to look into it. And my ancestor looked, and saw the woman dancing with another man, and the wise man said: Spit in the water, between them, and they shall be driven apart. And he did so, and they were so (some version have the other guy drowning). My guy came home and they married each other.

In his old age (ca. 1808), they got in a fight, and he told her about the wise man in the Indies. She up and left, and they lived separately after that. It was also said that he saw a number in the bowl of water; some say it was a psalm, some say it was a clock, others a year. All agree that the last numeral was 7, and he died 47 years old (ca. 1811). He also had a dog and a cat who both died of sorrow.

There's a lot of crazy stuff in this, but maybe there's a core of truth too. :shrug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

man how do you have 200+ year old family stories. All I've heard is maybe there's an island out there somewhere with our family name on it (heard this from another branch) and somewhere way back there was Indian blood (debunked by me, though I found out where the story came from. One of my great-x-grandfather's second wife was Native and we had pictures of them together and they thought it was his first who actually bore all the kids).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To be fair, I didn't know about that story until I started reading the local history books. My mom didn't either. My grandparents on that side were dead but they didn't mention anything like that either. It was a lucky strike of the local teacher being hella interested in local history & a whole national history gathering coming about.

That's really great though, to have a photo of them together.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fold3.com is opening up their Native American records for free access Nov.1-15. Mostly Dawes Rolls and treaties though you may find something else interesting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey in honor of the ending of the First World War (aka the optimistically named 'War to End All Wars') Fold3.com is offering up free access to EVERYTHING for THREE DAYS, starting at 7am EST TODAY They do have some stuff ancestry, myheritage, familysearch etc doesn't, especially military related so yeah jump on that.

quote:

Findmypast makes entire collection of more than 9 Billion records and all historical newspapers free for three days
All UK, Irish, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and US records as well as all British, Irish and World Newspapers are free from the 9th to the 12th November 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh btw, ArkivDigital is free for the weekend (Swedish records):
https://www.arkivdigital.se

Since the Riksarkivet made public their scans, ArkivDigital seems to be focusing on creating searchable databases (they have a db of every person in Sweden 1860–1930, many 1900s censuses, probate indexes, etc) plus they still have a lot of stuff that Riksarkivet doesn't (extra tax rolls, what have you).

As always, I'll be happy to assist with deciphering/translations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Every drat time I have plans I swear. WHY DOES SWEDEN HATE ME

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That just means you have a life :D

fwiw they usually seem to stay open till Monday at ~9 am CET (ie until some guy gets into the office and shuts off access).

e: I guess that's in the night in America so that might not be super useful

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Man, old people can get really crabby about their territories lol

After I discovered the certificates mentioned top of this page, I made a thread on a Danish forum to share my experience & also wrote the nat'l archive user committee about them as a suggested digitization priority item for places with burned church records. Couple days later someone from the volunteer digitizing team posted in the thread about them, that they're very interesting & I'm like awesome!

Except now I keep getting CC'ed by the user committee guy and the digitization guy in their pissing match over who decides what gets digitized. These fellas are definitely both retired volunteers. I guess these meager domain issues are their bread and butter for day-to-day drama. The emails are super long, too with colors and poo poo :p

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oracle posted:

Every drat time I have plans I swear. WHY DOES ENGLAND HATE ME

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle: hahaha man old people are the same all over.

Oh I just got notified like a few hours ago, but if you are NEW to ancestry their six month subscriptions are 50% off for Veterans Day, which is a really good deal. It ends at 11:59PM EST tho so jump now (that’s in 4.5hrs)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus H. Christ. Do you guys know how many Cornelius Leary/O'Learys there are in Cork? Because let me tell you, there are a metric fuckload of Cornelius Leary/O'Learys in Cork. And they all married women named Mary. And they all had brothers with the same names. And they all sponsored each others kids' baptisms. At least they occasionally lived in different villages. Of course they also all seemed to randomly choose a loving church to get married/kids baptized in each time. At least the penmanship in this one is loving gorgeous, seriously, Reverend/Vicar/Father Jeremiah Holland, a thousand blessings upon you, I will go light a candle and say some aves for your stellar penmanship. I mean seriously look at that poo poo THAT IS HOW YOU KEEP RECORDS PEOPLE.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nice. It's a real pleasure to get something readable for once :D

I've been going through maps from the 1780s to try and nail down the placements of the houses of my fishing hamlet. No luck, but man, some of them are absolutely marvelous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol I was looking through a parish register and below a 1712 baptism, the priest has written: "NB: this was an unfortunate celebration for NN and NN [two guests, presumably]. One was cut on the face, the other on his [pung]"

The Danish word pung is I think cognate to "pouch" and can mean both wallet and scrotum, here it is probably the latter.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

lol I was looking through a parish register and below a 1712 baptism, the priest has written: "NB: this was an unfortunate celebration for NN and NN [two guests, presumably]. One was cut on the face, the other on his [pung]"

The Danish word pung is I think cognate to "pouch" and can mean both wallet and scrotum, here it is probably the latter.

You have the best record keepers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I just love love love when they inject curiosities in the text like that, they're almost always either hilarious, tragic, or deeply profound (or all of the above!).

There was a Swedish husförhörslängd (which are kinda continually updated censuses with comings & goings) where the "moved to" column for the priest said "eternity", that is, he had died and his son, as chaplain, had taken over maintaining the register and written that in. :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alright Black Friday's here and that means DNA TEST SALES LOWEST ALL YEAR!

Ancestry DNA is on sale for $49 dollars/pounds (in England) (plus about 10 shipping) from their site for new members and old until November 26, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET. THIS IS AS LOW AS IT GETS, PERIOD. IF YOU'VE BEEN WAITING NOW IS THE TIME.

Not to be outdone, 23&Me is on sale for $59 or $49ea if you buy two or more. THIS ENDS TODAY 11/22. Buy them now. I've been kicking myself since last year because I didn't. You cannot upload to ancestry or 23&Me but you can to every other site out there (FTDNA, MyHeritage etc). So if you want to fish in every pond, you gotta have a test on 23&Me.

MyHeritage is also on sale for $49 dollars AND has a free shipping code of FREE18. This is a relatively new site that used to be tied to FTDNA but now does their own testing. Lots of Europeans on this site. SALE ENDS NOV 23rd.

FTDNA is also hopping on the $49 bandwagon. They also have combo packages of family finder + Y37 (bare minimum test to find matches on your male line, males only) for 143 (99 for just the Y), Family Finder +mt Full sequence (aka mom's line back to the stone age or further) for $183, and all 3 for $362. There are more for higher level tests, just check the site. They also allow free uploads of ancestry and 23&me tests to find matches. THIS OFFER ENDS TODAY 11/22 AS WELL.
Well shut my mouth, FTDNA broke the $49 barrier for Black Friday. TODAY ONLY FTDNA Family Finder is $39 with reduced shipping. I have NEVER seen it that low. Ever. Anywhere.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 23, 2018

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Speaking of DNA tests, Ancestry now has Ancestry Traits that gives you info on 18 different traits for :10bux:. Has anyone done this yet? I'm pondering it.

Also, Oracle do you know if the 23 and me Health and Ancestry ever goes on sale?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nashona posted:

Speaking of DNA tests, Ancestry now has Ancestry Traits that gives you info on 18 different traits for :10bux:. Has anyone done this yet? I'm pondering it.

Also, Oracle do you know if the 23 and me Health and Ancestry ever goes on sale?

I’ve seen some people post about it in various groups I’m in and no one seems all that impressed. More a curiosity than anything else at this stage. It’s definitely no 23&Me.

I’m sure it does but I’ve never seen it what I’d call ‘cheap.’ Like right now it’s marked down to 129 from 199 for the family/health combo. Now 39 bucks for a DNA test from a reputable company? That’s cheap (see FTDNA edit above).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh, and a little story about why you test multiple relatives: my dad and his sister only share 31% of their DNA. They are full siblings. (Half siblings share about 25% on average, full about 50% but it’s just that, an average). They each have relatively close matches that show up not at all for the other. My aunt got a lot more of my Grandmother’s Irish genes and my dad more of my grandfathers but they both got some of those pesky French-Canadian genes from grandpa that give you a jillion matches and their share of grandpas German line (his mother was one of 21, three full and 18 half-siblings) so it’s certain they’re full siblings (grandma is about 90% Irish with a smattering of Colonial English and Dutch).