Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
itym a toto neorest https://www.totousa.com/neorest-500h-dual-flush-toilet-10-gpf-and-08-gpf-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Flushing so little water does it wipe off the side wall poo poo stains?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

:swoon:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
it converts the water and poop into an alkaline compound like oxygenated bleach or something. but dont trust me look at the marketing:

The Neorest 500H Dual Flush Toilet offers all of the groundbreaking comfort and hygiene functions created by industry-leading TOTO research and development, including our eWater+ function that mists the bowl after every use, reducing the need for chemicals during cleaning.

EWATER+ cleans the wand and toilet bowl where waste and build up tend to accumulate and create stains that can become permanent. Using no chemicals or cleaning agents, EWATER+ provides peace of mind everyday that microscopic build up has no place to hide.

The Neorest toilet is even CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 CERTIFIED: Complies with California Proposition 65 warning requirements.

(If you dont live in CA, literally everything in existence in CA contains chemical compounds that could theoretically kill your or theoretically cause cancer in the State of California).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

it converts the water and poop into an alkaline compound like oxygenated bleach or something. but dont trust me look at the marketing:

The Neorest 500H Dual Flush Toilet offers all of the groundbreaking comfort and hygiene functions created by industry-leading TOTO research and development, including our eWater+ function that mists the bowl after every use, reducing the need for chemicals during cleaning.

EWATER+ cleans the wand and toilet bowl where waste and build up tend to accumulate and create stains that can become permanent. Using no chemicals or cleaning agents, EWATER+ provides peace of mind everyday that microscopic build up has no place to hide.

The Neorest toilet is even CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 CERTIFIED: Complies with California Proposition 65 warning requirements.

(If you dont live in CA, literally everything in existence in CA contains chemical compounds that could theoretically kill your or theoretically cause cancer in the State of California).

That would explain all the warning signs I saw about everything from sawdust to plastics to fire retardants or whatever when I was there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

KEEP CALM
and
DON'T BREATHE

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So, Ghibli museum tickets for December went on sale today through Lawson, and they are already sold out for the entire time I'm in Tokyo (Dec 1-9). :negative:

Is it possible to still find some in Japan, and could any nice Japan Goon find me one during that time period?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
YOU DEAD

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Really? I am seeing 4PM available everyday Dec 5-7.
https://l-tike.com/order/?gLcode=30...seVenueCd=30064

yehdawg
Oct 2, 2013

Danger Extraordinaire
Hey I'm flying into Tokyo and then hitting Kyoto. Any recommendations on places to visit in between Kyoto and Tokyo if I have two weeks?? I'm looking for spots that have good onsens (the cheap ones and not the private ones inside rooms).

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

zmcnulty posted:

Really? I am seeing 4PM available everyday Dec 5-7.
https://l-tike.com/order/?gLcode=30...seVenueCd=30064

That's weird, it must only be available on the Japanese site because here is the English facing one:

I tried to get a ticket and had to make an account, for which I wasn't able to use my US phone number, and then when I tried to log into the account to purchase on my laptop, it just said I couldn't log in "in this environment." :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah, the english lawson site funnels you to 4pm slots only

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of English sites in Japan are completely nonfunctional, even by Japanese website standards, and you have to use the Japanese ones. You can usually manage with google translate though, if you get stumped by something post and one of the weebs will help you I'm sure.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of English sites in Japan are completely nonfunctional, even by Japanese website standards, and you have to use the Japanese ones. You can usually manage with google translate though, if you get stumped by something post and one of the weebs will help you I'm sure.

Hmm, I tried using the Japanese one linked above and got to the ordering phase, but when I tried to make an account (mandatory apparently), it needed a phone number and won't let me use my American one (needs to start with a 0, then doesn't have the right number of characters when I do 01...). I tried to log into it on the laptop as I said but it just gives me an error and won't go through.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ok I'm sure folks have been to Kumano here.

Does anybody have recs for good Minshuku?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Keret posted:

Hmm, I tried using the Japanese one linked above and got to the ordering phase, but when I tried to make an account (mandatory apparently), it needed a phone number and won't let me use my American one (needs to start with a 0, then doesn't have the right number of characters when I do 01...). I tried to log into it on the laptop as I said but it just gives me an error and won't go through.

go look up the phone number for nintendo and use that

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Keret posted:

japan.txt. They don't really give a poo poo about making anything accessible for foreign tourism.

Fake number or ask a goon if they'd be willing to use theirs. In my experience they never call the number so it doesn't matter.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Use 080-3595-2342

That's one digit away from my actual phone number, they will be none the wiser. Since you are giving them money now, they won't call it anyway.

edit: that said, I know nothing about the museum. If there's a guided tour or something, the Japanese site may be selling slots for the Japanese-language tour, and the English site selling slots for the English-language tour.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 11, 2018

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I used that one and it says they need to authenticate and just that I can go back and re-enter the number if it's wrong. It's real dumb.

I'm trying to get a ticket for 16:00 on Thursday Dec 06, if anyone is able to just do it and I can just venmo them or something. I don't have PMs but I can email whoever.

Keret fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 11, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How much time is it possible to kill at the samurai museum in Kabukicho?

Gonna go regardless because it sounds neat but I'm trying to fit it into a gap before a tattoo appointment in Shibuya, so I don't wanna leave it too late and have to rush through the museum or go way too early and have to find another thing to distract me from the anxiety that always comes before getting voluntarily stabbed a million times by a dude in rubber gloves fill my afternoon today.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's a beautiful day just take a nap in the park if you have extra time, maybe go to your appointment early and learn something????

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

History Comes Inside! posted:

How much time is it possible to kill at the samurai museum in Kabukicho?

Gonna go regardless because it sounds neat but I'm trying to fit it into a gap before a tattoo appointment in Shibuya, so I don't wanna leave it too late and have to rush through the museum or go way too early and have to find another thing to distract me from the anxiety that always comes before getting voluntarily stabbed a million times by a dude in rubber gloves fill my afternoon today.

Go early, there's lots of stuff to do in Kabukicho. You can go hit up the batting cages or something.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ntan1 posted:

Ok I'm sure folks have been to Kumano here.

Does anybody have recs for good Minshuku?

Pick something in Yunomine Onsen, Kawayu Onsen is completely ravaged from the typhoons and basically a ghost town.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Go to the onsen in Kabukicho:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g14133667-d8800562-Reviews-Thermae_Yu-Kabukicho_Shinjuku_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*saunters into the thread*
*looks around*
sup...Japan is cool, and very good.
*nods, looks around, urging everyone to agree with me*

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I went early as recommended and ended up going to Meiji Jingu where it looked like a wedding was happening but there were still tourists everywhere getting right up to where the ceremony was going on?

Also tons of people wheeling luggage around the place?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone used their MUFG Debit card to withdrawal money from outside of Japan? I have my MUFG debit card and want to use it to withdrawal money but I'm worry it will lock my account and I won't be able to use it until I go back to Japan and physically go to a branch. I haven't set up a travel alert or anything.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I went early as recommended and ended up going to Meiji Jingu where it looked like a wedding was happening but there were still tourists everywhere getting right up to where the ceremony was going on?

Also tons of people wheeling luggage around the place?

It's always like that, every time I've been there there was a wedding because it's just very popular.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I'm heading back for another 17 days and this will be my 3rd trip. I've done Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima twice now, and have also driven all the way up to Aomori doing the Sanriku Coastline and staying along the coast for a week. I'm debating between spending a week in Hokkaido (probably mostly Sapporo for the ramen) or Kyushu, and I'm wondering if you would be able to help me choose. I'm into photography, eating ramen 3x a day, and drinking my face off while being as productive as possible at seeing as much as I can. I realize this is pretty vague, but it's tough finding opinions as to which one is *better* than the other without straight up asking.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

scotty posted:

I'm heading back for another 17 days and this will be my 3rd trip. I've done Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima twice now, and have also driven all the way up to Aomori doing the Sanriku Coastline and staying along the coast for a week. I'm debating between spending a week in Hokkaido (probably mostly Sapporo for the ramen) or Kyushu, and I'm wondering if you would be able to help me choose. I'm into photography, eating ramen 3x a day, and drinking my face off while being as productive as possible at seeing as much as I can. I realize this is pretty vague, but it's tough finding opinions as to which one is *better* than the other without straight up asking.

Kyushu has a lot more to do and see than Hokkaido by far.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
When is this going to be? If it’s within the next several months your decision may revolve heavily around how much snow you want.

For general easy living and drinking Fukuoka etc (aka Kyuushuu) might be best.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Ah, sorry, March 4th-22nd. I was slightly pulling towards Sapporo because I might still be able to get some skiing in if I head there towards the beginning of the trip.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

scotty posted:

Ah, sorry, March 4th-22nd. I was slightly pulling towards Sapporo because I might still be able to get some skiing in if I head there towards the beginning of the trip.

fukuoka, nagasaki, Kagoshima and yakushima are all very cool and very good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can’t be that productive if you are going to be constantly poo poo faced, but Sapporo would still be doable. Elsewhere in Hokkaido is too remote and you really need to drive to see much. Sure there are trains to the major places but after that you are out of luck

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you're coming in March, Hokkaido is definitely better than Kyushu. Heading to Kyushu in March, you'll be missing out on a lot of what makes Kyushu good:
-Drinking at yatai will be cold as hell
-Yakushima "season" doesn't start until late March, so you'll be a few weeks too early
-No beaches/swimming
-Basically anything outdoors will be far out of season, besides maybe outdoor onsen
-Shochu isn't really a winter drink, unless you like it with hot water

That's compared to being in Hokkaido in March, which is its high season:
-More people out and about, more drinking, and hot sake is better than hot shochu
-Plenty of winter-related outdoor activities and photography opportunities, so of course ski/snowboard, but also snowshoeing, ice fishing, ice bars, ice hotels, ice flow tours, walking on ice flows
-Hokkaido also has a shitload of outdoor onsen, and if you've never sat in an outdoor onsen while it's snowing on your head, you're missing out
-Ramen is better during a cold snowy winter

For skiing/snowboard the huge places are Niseko and Furano. Full of Australians, but the snow quality is hard to beat. If you want a more "Japanese" experience stick to Sapporo Kokusai -- it's right outside the city too, so easily doable as a daytrip.

If you want to drink a ton there are plenty of great bars, izakaya, clubs, and pinker places in Sapporo. Even in small-town Hokkaido there's always at least a snack or something open late. Plus you have the Yoichi Distillery, and other more core places if you're a maniac.

caberham posted:

Can’t be that productive if you are going to be constantly poo poo faced, but Sapporo would still be doable. Elsewhere in Hokkaido is too remote and you really need to drive to see much. Sure there are trains to the major places but after that you are out of luck

You aren't "out of luck" -- buses cover most anywhere in the prefecture, even during winter. You may have to work backwards to schedule a train so it arrives in time for the bus etc., but it's still very doable without driving. Driving in snow sucks if you're not used to it anyway.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Awesome. Thank you guys for the detailed responses. I’m afraid I’ll never get to experience the pleasures of an onsen like that, I’m kinda covered in tattoos. I think I’ll try and pull towards Hokkaido for this trip. Maybe Kyushu should be saved for a warmer weather trip. Appreciate the help!

I really enjoyed renting a car last time, even though the tolls crushed us. I would actually really enjoy driving around a snowy Hokkaido. I’m from northeast of Boston/Vermont so I’ve done my fair share of driving in lovely New England weather.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Funny - personally I would go to Kyushu in March over Hokkaido but that's just me. In any case zmcnulty is right.

For car rental in Hokkaido during winter season, there is generally no need to request winter tires, and you can assume that all rented cars will have them up until like April. Winter tires as you know effectively replace chains, but be careful as on slopes it can still get slippery depending on conditions.

https://www.driveplaza.com/trip/drawari/hokkaido_expass/en.html

And don't worry I spent $180 on tolls last october when in Japan, which would have been $280 without a pass discount.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
A CS host I'm staying with in Tokyo reserved me a Ghibli museum ticket at Lawson, awe yis. :dance:

It's the last time of day (4pm), but I wanted to check out Koenji so I'll probably just make a day of Koenji/Mitaka. Too bad everything in Koenji opens at like 11 or 12...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
This talk about renting a car made me curious about rules for an international license and multiple entries/stays in Japan, so here are the rules:

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/multilingual/english/traffic_safety/drivers_licenses/index.files/kokusaimenkyo_english.pdf

Basically, your international license is good for 1 year after entry into Japan. You may not leave Japan in this time. Once you leave Japan, your international license is void.

After you leave Japan, you must remain abroad for over 3 months in order to obtain another international license that can be used in Japan. Even if you receive a new international license during a less-than-3-month stay abroad, it cannot be used in Japan. You MUST stay out for 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

This talk about renting a car made me curious about rules for an international license and multiple entries/stays in Japan, so here are the rules:

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/multilingual/english/traffic_safety/drivers_licenses/index.files/kokusaimenkyo_english.pdf

Basically, your international license is good for 1 year after entry into Japan. You may not leave Japan in this time. Once you leave Japan, your international license is void.

After you leave Japan, you must remain abroad for over 3 months in order to obtain another international license that can be used in Japan. Even if you receive a new international license during a less-than-3-month stay abroad, it cannot be used in Japan. You MUST stay out for 3 months.

That's really loving weird.

One thing that above memo doesn't cover (I think) is, what if my IDP was issued before visit 1 to Japan, but I never used the IDP during that stay. Then 3+ months after leaving Japan, I re-enter for visit 2, which is still within the issued validity of my IDP. Is it valid then? Nobody ever saw the IDP during the first visit.