Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Wood Elves are the true nightmare for Coast. Can't catch them, can't outshoot them. They'll dumpster you real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Man, skaven are kind of a nightmare to fight as vampire coast. Vampirates seem to really punish armies with high value units, but the skaven chaff can just absorb so much gunfire then beat your gun units in melee.

If you have an organized offensive versus the rats where you can plan an army I haven't found it too bad. Mournguls and crabs eat them alive.

Fans posted:

Wood Elves are the true nightmare for Coast. Can't catch them, can't outshoot them. They'll dumpster you real hard.

This though...yeah.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Something to remember about monstrous creatures that have a ranged attack as an afterthought- shooting drains vigor faster than melee, and a hybrid unit like this will be doing both, which will tire it out fast (and even undead are affected). It is prudent to turn off ranged depending on the situation to not waste their vigor on shooting unnecessarily.

Flying shooty units are often heavily glimped compared to their ground counterparts which I'm assuming is the case with deck droppers. It's similar to wood elf eagle riders;their missile attack is mediocre to balance the fact that their charging and melee is decent and the possibility of shooting at units that can't hit you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Something to remember about monstrous creatures that have a ranged attack as an afterthought- shooting drains vigor faster than melee, and a hybrid unit like this will be doing both, which will tire it out fast (and even undead are affected). It is prudent to turn off ranged depending on the situation to not waste their vigor on shooting unnecessarily.

This may have been fixed according to a reddit thread. I haven't tested/confirmed though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Here's some of my favourite screenshots so far:

my gunnery wight smiling atop his crab after shooting a star dragon out of the sky

noctilus swagging his way into a skaven ambush

the special flamethrower necrofex, looks a lot more awesome and special than it looked in that original video

lokhir poses in a cool way as a rival captain falls dead

luthor staying classy even after going nuts and rampaging

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Okay, how on earth are you meant to do Battle of the Eternal Tides? You need to kill four full stacks, coming at you from different directions. You can only go so far before the ammo runs out. It's also one of those annoying quest battles that bugs out and doesn't let you deploy properly, so it's much harder to take advantage of the defensive grounds you're given.

You get three buffs that fully restore your health and ammo. The big healing crosses on the right.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I haven't played for awhile and I'm getting my Vampirate on with Harkon tooling around in Mortal Empires, and I'm glad this mode still makes me do the occasional double take like when I realize that Mazzy's home province has somehow been conquered by the Top Knotz while I was busy with rats and elves.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Fighting vampire coast in campaign is hilarious because auto resolve is just insanely on their side. Army of 15 units, mostly a mix of archers and spearmen vs the shittiest ranged zombie garrison and it gives me 50/50 odds. Manually fight the battle (I am awful) and they get like 10 kills total.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

jerry seinfel posted:

Fighting vampire coast in campaign is hilarious because auto resolve is just insanely on their side. Army of 15 units, mostly a mix of archers and spearmen vs the shittiest ranged zombie garrison and it gives me 50/50 odds. Manually fight the battle (I am awful) and they get like 10 kills total.

That is promising in that it means you can actually engage them at sea. With all their movement bonuses they'd be a pain to deal with since the AI would only be fighting you when it wants to.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
their ranged heavy nature means auto resolve really likes them, and manual command really screws them if you can grasp the concept "apply swords to gunhavers"

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

turn off the TV posted:

They have about 1/6th the number of models in a unit as handgunners and less than half of their DPS. They're going to get poo poo on by anything that can shoot back. But still, they can fly, and a flying source of AP ranged damage has a ton of uses.

They remind me of skink chiefs on their air mount. target a unit that wont shoot back, come back in 45 seconds and it's mostly dead.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Aranessa is insanely cool

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
OK, lol at the VSea win conditions

I accidentally stumbled into all the shanties because

First two spawned on top of my capital and immediately sieged it

Third spawned on top of my lord and attacked

All before I even got the harpoon.So of course I say gently caress it and go get the harpoon.

Then the final battle is the stupidest interpretation yet of quest battles

"allow me to poo poo out four armies on top of yours... this will definitely take skill and not just doomstacking 19 monsters."

I lost

Then reloaded and shat out 17 colossuses.

drat, that was really fun before the shanty armies started spawning.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

man it sucks that necrarch lords dont look anything like their little picture on the bloodline screen

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I loved the last quest battle and a doomstack of necrofexes isn't what I would of brought :shrug:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Aranessa is insanely cool

I was kind of curious, and, uh...

Y-you okay, lady?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm somewhat glad that vampirates get terrible auto-resolve odds, because that means I get to shoot a lot more...everything. These Rogue Fleets are pretty great for diversity.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Auto-resolve doesn't believe in my "16 zombie handguns plus support" approach but there's not much that can stand against it in the field.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

We need some peg-torsos and peg-heads.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Harkon's start is, uh, pretty goddamn hemmed in and restrictive compared to the others. Literally every rogue fleet war declaring you on turn 3 or 4 and forming a giant wooden wall preventing you from sailing away basically forces you into the Lustria helldome.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Noctilus' start is ludicrous and I accidentally became the top infamy pirate by harassing the elves a little.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

Harkon's start is, uh, pretty goddamn hemmed in and restrictive compared to the others. Literally every rogue fleet war declaring you on turn 3 or 4 and forming a giant wooden wall preventing you from sailing away basically forces you into the Lustria helldome.

I thought this was deliberate to make you go after the lustrian gold and get your brain back together

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Kanos posted:

I got the sail for movement range and was easily able to maneuver around the rogue fleets. They never really seem to actively chase you either. I had Luthor over in Ulthuan causing trouble within ten turns and he's never been back to Lustria.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, after having played a fair bit, this is definitely a good compensation for still not having Skryre's warcrime specialty weapons in the game yet. Well done, CA.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Speaking of war crimes. Wheres my 'fire through will' button that forces my soldiers to shoot regardless of obstruction by friendlies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I think this happens in every vampirate campaign. I had all the rogue fleets declaring war on me as soon as they saw me as Aranessa too (although maybe it's worse by Vampire Coast since only one of them actually seems to hang out around Sartosa).

Motherfucker posted:

Speaking of war crimes. Wheres my 'fire through will' button that forces my soldiers to shoot regardless of obstruction by friendlies.

This should be a skaven attribute for sure. Although playing as the pirates, a thought occurred to me that you should also be able to shoot through Syreens. They're ghosts after all.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this happens in every vampirate campaign. I had all the rogue fleets declaring war on me as soon as they saw me as Aranessa too (although maybe it's worse by Vampire Coast since only one of them actually seems to hang out around Sartosa).

This should be a skaven attribute for sure. Although playing as the pirates, a thought occurred to me that you should also be able to shoot through Syreens. They're ghosts after all.

Racially restricting it would be nice but skaven definitely should have it and probably pirates. Dwarves would benefit but shouldn't be able to.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Are the zombies saying FROM SALT or RUM-SOAKED?

Also I've been unable to recruit Queen Bess (as mentioned by someone else upthread). I'm sitting in enemy territory in Encamped mode. Do we know whether you actually have to be in a friendly settlement/province?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Also I've been unable to recruit Queen Bess (as mentioned by someone else upthread). I'm sitting in enemy territory in Encamped mode. Do we know whether you actually have to be in a friendly settlement/province?

'from salt' also yeah you need to be encamped in a friendly town.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I think you have to recruit RoRs in a home province.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Definitely not a fan of the ME Harkon experience (objectives are to paint Lustria, map too big, turns too slow, etc.), but Aranessa's spot is absolutely perfect. Only enemies you miss out on are High/Dark Elves and Lizards, and even then you can always sail out and pick fights or use mods like Corsair Raids.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Maybe it's because I'm playing on low graphic settings, but I'm having a hell of a time finding any of the buried treasure. Still haven't found a single one yet, and it's starting to feel like I'm just too big a moron to decipher these vague hints.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Remember, the treasure-map tab gives you a rough idea of where they are in the world. In my experience, you just need to be in the right province; while I've heard other people say some treasures require you to stand on a specific feature of the map, I think this must only be for a small minority of treasures. If you're stumped, just brute-force your way across the entire circled area.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I was digging at spots that looked like things, but apparantly I was supposed to just walk one step outside of the main city and dig there.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’ve dug up a few more treasures & I think lords check a radius around them based on their amount of movement consumed, but hero units must be close to the physical feature? That’s probably false, it probably just checks is you’re in the right province, and vaguely close. I just move my unit over by where the map zooms to, then re-zoom the map and read the clue, it usually centers on the pool of water or runic circle or whatever.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kanos posted:

It's not a big deal. The Vampire Coast region is a goldmine once you've developed it and securing that section of Lustria should be your initial priority anyway. 4 cities, multiple ports and that Capital building that gives multipliers to all income in the region means that you can get like 7k per turn just from this one region once it's developed and it develops fast too from all the port growth bonuses.

Secure that area first and by the time you're done you should have a solid income to fund going off on adventures and have a tough enough stack to start taking on the rogue fleets and sea treasure battles.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Noctilus or Aranessa for a ME campaign? I'm doing a Vortex Harkon (in retrospect should have done Cylostra) but the other two are both much closer to the old world. Noctilus looks like he's in the dead center of everything and so can fight absolutely everyone, while Aranessa is tucked so far into Tilea's bay that she might struggle to really raid anywhere but the badlands/araby/border princes/estalia areas, which still isn't bad.

e: Also, what does each LL get as a bonus building on their flagship? Harkon gets a +replenishment, + corruption, +faction income one I think.

vvvvv: I fully replaced carronades with necrofexes because they're like carronades that always have line of sight. The ability to stand up to some melee attackers is just a bonus on top of that. I still have a mortar or two in my non-Bess armies, but with Bess, my artillery is Bess, two Necrofexes, and the off-map artillery, which is more than enough.

e2: I thought Pirates' Rest gave +1 Haunter, but now the tooltip isn't saying that. Am I crazy?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 11, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The triple-cannon arm on Necrofexes is particularly key to their power; usually monster artillery just has the one shot so they lose out when a cannon battery has enough veterancy, skills, tech or whatever boosting them. Thanks to their height as well, I'm wondering if Colossi can straight up replace Mortars in battle roles once you go doomstack mode, though I recognize this is probably a dumb argument because an artillery piece just can't compare to a hybrid artillery and monster unit.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

toasterwarrior posted:

The triple-cannon arm on Necrofexes is particularly key to their power; usually monster artillery just has the one shot so they lose out when a cannon battery has enough veterancy, skills, tech or whatever boosting them. Thanks to their height as well, I'm wondering if Colossi can straight up replace Mortars in battle roles once you go doomstack mode, though I recognize this is probably a dumb argument because an artillery piece just can't compare to a hybrid artillery and monster unit.

As far as I'm concerned they straight up replace carronades. Two colossi and a queen bess and I'm good to go on artillery (two mortars instead of the bess in my subsidiary stacks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I did a short custom battle test and Necrofexes just clowned on both infantry and cavalry with their cannons compared to Carronades. It's why I'm thinking about them replacing Mortars: less AoE and no parabolic arc, but the height advantage still lets them shoot at infantry easily while the AP damage makes them much more killy against armored enemies.

I'm thinking that Carronades would've stayed much more relevant if the plans for vampirate artillery getting different shot types didn't fall through.