Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One episode left right? Lots of ground to cover.

Do we know if next week is the standard episode length, or is it longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think an extra hour would help

I don't think an extra 10 episodes would help

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The real twist: Two seasons?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only way the ending would be satisfying is if the time reset somehow makes things worse and there are no survivors in the whole world.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I know this gets said for most seasons but I'm still amazed in the quality drop from the start of the season. Maybe it's because Cult managed to stay consistent.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

"outpost construction"

I'm hoping this is all leading up to a cliffhanger and a revelation that there's a second continuous season that ties in freakshow, asylum, roanoke, and cult

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Since they've made like the old scifi serials and stitched the series into one universe, might as well do another season of this nonsense...I'm down if nothing gets resolved next week, but am expecting a wet-fart finale. :nallears:

Still a great season, loved the Illuminati stuff: the worst part is we don't get any more. :shrug:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

OmegaBR posted:

They need at least one more episode to lead to the bomb going off and getting us back to the grand battle, which I worry about, because they've never been above plot armor and deus ex. I foresee it leading to a bunch of deaths and sacrifices that don't mean anything because they'll be brought back to life, and the world will begin again with a bunch of Eves who will do it right this time. Unless, god forbid, this series finally uses the one tired no-thought Hollywood trope it hasn't yet time travel.

Yeah..................

When Myrtle said that bit about going into the past, I groaned out loud. Of course it's considered a myth. Of course it's super easy to do anyway.

And of course they still won't let Cordelia die so as to lend her strength to defeat the antichrist, who has killed off most of the coven and is about to bring the end times.

Anyway, since I'm unfortunately on a bit of a roll, here's my finale prediction:

CoCo will still kill the devil's son because she finds out about his crippling gluten allergy. However, the time travel is actually a red herring. Rather than go back and prevent all this from ever happening, Mallory will instead use her god-like resurrection powers to re-flourish the Earth in everything the bombs burned, essentially turning it into a new Eden that the coven will lead. Basically, that bit in the quote about starting over, only with a bunch of Eves instead.

....And 40 minutes of Outpost Construction before all that happens in the last 5.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

The real twist: Two seasons?

This is what I've been lowkey hoping. A big mashup of seasons being the first American Horror Story to have two parts would be fitting.

That said I fully expect it to end abruptly next week. And I'll probably still love it-- this season has been great even if it crashes and burns, imo.

Also I loving love Billie Lourd and I'm glad she's becoming a Murphy staple.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So was Coco's dad in the Cooperative and missed the APOCOLYPSE TODAY memo?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So was Coco's dad in the Cooperative and missed the APOCOLYPSE TODAY memo?

I get the impression he's one of the people who just bought his way in.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I can't help but feel like, as another poster mentioned earlier, they're still just trying to distract from the 'present day' stuff, with it being Halloween still and all. No matter what goes down, they're going to Deus ex some bullshit out because of that, like... gently caress if I know... have every ghost on Earth rise up and punch Michael in his dumb face and then we get time-travel retcon after the threat is neutralized so it never happens in the first place.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

How do they decide how many episodes each season is? Had a quick look on the wiki and it varies in between 10 and 13 so they must have a pretty good plan to end it on 10...

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That might be the worst penultimate episode of a show with promise that I can recall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CODChimera posted:

How do they decide how many episodes each season is? Had a quick look on the wiki and it varies in between 10 and 13 so they must have a pretty good plan to end it on 10...

They probably give the producers a budget and then they decide whether they can divide it into 10 or 13 parts. Promo said next ep was the finale.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

it's weird - I remember a promo shot/next week on of like Michael in the wasteland in front of a bunch of cannibals a gallows. But then I don't think they ever showed that?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

OmegaBR posted:

Yeah..................

When Myrtle said that bit about going into the past, I groaned out loud. Of course it's considered a myth. Of course it's super easy to do anyway.

And of course they still won't let Cordelia die so as to lend her strength to defeat the antichrist, who has killed off most of the coven and is about to bring the end times.

Anyway, since I'm unfortunately on a bit of a roll, here's my finale prediction:

CoCo will still kill the devil's son because she finds out about his crippling gluten allergy. However, the time travel is actually a red herring. Rather than go back and prevent all this from ever happening, Mallory will instead use her god-like resurrection powers to re-flourish the Earth in everything the bombs burned, essentially turning it into a new Eden that the coven will lead. Basically, that bit in the quote about starting over, only with a bunch of Eves instead.

....And 40 minutes of Outpost Construction before all that happens in the last 5.

Time travel, especially time travel shoehorned in right before the finale, is so Goddamn lazy and if that is how they defeat the antichrist the whole season will be retroactively ruined for me.

I did like the shot of the warlock pentagram at the end.

So I take it the coke nerds weren't controlled Kathy Bates the entire time, just when they wanted to steer Michael towards nukes?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Fan theory: the time travel spell sends Mallory, coco, and voodoo lady to an olde time which is the setting of the next series.

I'd want Madison to go too so she can dress down foppish dandies of the past but she ded.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Isn't Papa Legba is going to be REAL angry that the voodoo lady was treating with satan instead of him? Maybe he's going to lead all them ghosts up in there and wreck some poo poo.

I don't know. I'm just spitballing at this point, who even knows with this stupid show anymore.

e: maybe next season is the 13 episode talk show pilot that Langdon mentions she bargained for. I would be ok with a Faux-News daytime talk show themed horror season.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

What could be more fitting than a sequel to Coven ending with a reset button?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

rly makes you think tbh

At least it was set up early with Mallory. It's lazy, but not as lazy as if they had pulled it out their rear end this week.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I wonder what the record for longest flashback is...?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I like the flashbacks within the flashback.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Curious about the negotiations that resulted in Cheyenne Jackson credited in the opening sequence for appearing in four episodes, one with no lines.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Time travel does seem to make the problem trivial. Like they don't even deal with Micheal or the Satanists at all if they go back to before he was conceived.

Travel back in time and murder Micheal's biomom before she moves into the Murder House.
Travel back in time and stop ghostdad from becoming a school shooter and dying (or at least stop him from dying at home so he doesn't become a trapped ghost).
Travel back in time 80 years and burn the Murder House to the ground before it accumulates so many ghosts.
Travel back in time and tell the lady that was Supreme before Fiona that the coven needs to buy the Murder House, cleanse it if they can, and prevent people from living/dying there. Or they can turn it into a retirement home for witches that want to become ghosts. Whatev.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Time travel does seem to make the problem trivial. Like they don't even deal with Micheal or the Satanists at all if they go back to before he was conceived.

Travel back in time and murder Micheal's biomom before she moves into the Murder House.
Travel back in time and stop ghostdad from becoming a school shooter and dying (or at least stop him from dying at home so he doesn't become a trapped ghost).
Travel back in time 80 years and burn the Murder House to the ground before it accumulates so many ghosts.
Travel back in time and tell the lady that was Supreme before Fiona that the coven needs to buy the Murder House, cleanse it if they can, and prevent people from living/dying there. Or they can turn it into a retirement home for witches that want to become ghosts. Whatev.

A. Stop Murder House from being constructed.
or
B. Stop the Harmons from moving into said house.
or
C. Stop the ghosts from killing Mr. Harmon, allowing him to raise Michael with a semblance of normalcy.
or
D. Prevent Constance Langdon from ever moving into the Murder House, thus preventing a good 70-80% of the spirits there, including Tate.
or
E. Tell Ryan Murphy that maybe his Coven sequel is going to turn to poo poo if he goes with a time travel reset ending.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

Time travel does seem to make the problem trivial.

I think she's going to die in the attempt, and thus the supreme does not have to die.

Tragedienne posted:

A. Stop Murder House from being constructed.
or
B. Stop the Harmons from moving into said house.
or
C. Stop the ghosts from killing Mr. Harmon, allowing him to raise Michael with a semblance of normalcy.
or
D. Prevent Constance Langdon from ever moving into the Murder House, thus preventing a good 70-80% of the spirits there, including Tate.
or
E. Tell Ryan Murphy that maybe his Coven sequel is going to turn to poo poo if he goes with a time travel reset ending.

My bet is on:

F. Heal Michael's soul so he doesn't turn evil in the first place, or at least comes back from evil.

They've setup over and over there's good in him, and that he's been pushed towards this outcome. If they deviate his destiny, they fix everything.

Dienes posted:

So I take it the coke nerds weren't controlled Kathy Bates the entire time, just when they wanted to steer Michael towards nukes?

Part of me still thinks the coke nerds realize what a colossal mistake everything has been, and that the actors from the forward timeline are the same characters (not that we'd expect that due to the way AHS plays with actors).

Mostly because otherwise it's odd that two characters are going to pop up in the mind wipe mess.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 9, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think she's going to die in the attempt, and thus the supreme does not have to die.

My bet is on:

F. Heal Michael's soul so he doesn't turn evil in the first place, or at least comes back from evil.

They've setup over and over there's good in him, and that he's been pushed towards this outcome. If they deviate his destiny, they fix everything.

Part of me still thinks the coke nerds realize what a colossal mistake everything has been, and that the actors from the forward timeline are the same characters (not that we'd expect that due to the way AHS plays with actors).

Mostly because otherwise it's odd that two characters are going to pop up in the mind wipe mess.

She probably has manual / automatic settings. I doubt they are still controlling her.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

My bet is on:

This is why I included Option C. The time we see him happy, with someone who genuinely cares about him, was when he was living in the Murder House, and getting help from Ben.

If Ben had been allowed to walk out of the House, with Michael, as he originally intended, things would have gone way differently. It's the only option I can think of that isn't preventing Michael from being born, and instead giving him an actual chance.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
If you're not laughing every single second of every single minute, you're not watching AHS right!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

nikosoft posted:

If you're not laughing every single second of every single minute, you're not watching AHS right!

The bad seasons are so bad I'm starting to be tricked into thinking the good seasons either weren't good or were active flukes

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

The bad seasons are so bad I'm starting to be tricked into thinking the good seasons either weren't good or were active flukes

1: Good
2: Great
3: Clusterfuck
4: Boring
5: Uneven but mostly good with some greatness mixed in
6: Really good
7: Really good
8: Thus far, really loving good

Basically there was a big dip in 3-4 and 5 straddled the fence but I've liked every season since Hotel and I don't dislike Hotel.

Coven was incoherent, Freak Show was boring. Coven II is really pretty coherent and definitely not boring.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Blazing Ownager posted:

Basically there was a big dip in 3-4 and 5 straddled the fence but I've liked every season since Hotel and I don't dislike Hotel.

Coven was incoherent, Freak Show was boring. Coven II is really pretty coherent and definitely not boring.

I could get on board with this list. I'm just frustrated mostly because I know only have one episode left and we have a lot of ground to cover. I'm sure they will stick the landing because thus far it's been really good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think there's something rather wonderful about the antichrist being terrifyingly powerful, but also completely directionless. He really did need better parents.

I think there's some really wonderful satire in the idea that Michael was never really motivated to complete ultracide, and that the actual instigators are a pair of under burdened tech idiots who are compelled towards destruction thanks to a lethal combination of narcissism and boredom. "Traffic was really bad this morning! gently caress this planet!" "Yeah!"

Also, I never thought I'd say this, but Billy Eichner is much better at being a douche-y coked up frat guy than Evan Peters is. You get the sense that the character's so drug hosed that he doesn't quite know what he's saying half the time, it's really funny.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The wigs are my favorite part of those two.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd give hotel an awful grade. It was Lady Gaga the season and was vampire based. Might as well have been made by teenagers. This season is also far from really loving good it's a complete mess and going no where. They wasted 5 something episodes to explain the apocalypse. It was a total bait and switch.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I feel like Hotel is pretty polarizing. Some people enjoyed it, some have hated it. I also think this season has been bait and switchy to an extent but it hasn't been a "mess".

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
Warlock Pentagram was cool, but it just made me miss Hannibal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doltos posted:

It was Lady Gaga the season

yes and ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fickle Isthmus posted:

Warlock Pentagram was cool, but it just made me miss Hannibal.

Such a shame, because nearly everyone on AHS is rude. :discourse: