Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm glad hobo Phoenix is in hell where he belongs, just like all the other stuff from Apollo Justice that they didn't bring up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Momomo posted:

I'm glad hobo Phoenix is in hell where he belongs, just like all the other stuff from Apollo Justice that they didn't bring up again.

I want to know that the defendant/victim in the last case is doing okay.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

chumbler posted:

I want to know that the defendant/victim in the last case is doing okay.

Why don’t we play the tape again?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Momomo posted:

Hobo Phoenix was cool and scary and I don't care who disagrees with me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't miss Hobo Phoenix and I think they did a good job of giving Apollo his own story even with Phoenix as his usual self and not the weirdo he was in 4

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hobo Phoenix and New Phoenix are both cool and good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

What other stuff

AJ has about the regular amount of stuff from it referenced in later games. That is, not much, because the series likes to try to be self-contained.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I like dad phoenix

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Phoenix does sometimes let his hobo dad side show, but it's not as often as I would've liked.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

New Phoenix does sometimes let his hobo dad side show, but it's not as often as I would've liked.

Empty Quote

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the tiny bit of stubble worked really well for him.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought every drat AA game in the last eShop sale but I'm only up to Trials and Tribulations so I look forward to whatever Hobo Phoenix is

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I've never been a fan of Apollo Justice because the story never felt like an organic growth of the old series. AA5 (and 6, I guess? haven't played it yet) might rely too much on nostalgia, but at least I could see how we got there.

Also, the real weird worship of jury trials in 4 was... bizarre. I remember reading that it was government propaganda, but I don't think there ever was an official source about it.

That said, honestly, my sad emotional investment in the canon life of anime videogame characters aside, Apollo Justice was... okay. The last case was pretty fun to play through, the new sprites were gorgeous, and the music was pretty drat good.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I liked how he acted in Cases 2 and 3 of DD when he's seen from the POV of someone else. So far he seems okay-ish in Case 5 of SoJ.
I could've sworn that even in AJ he was still a bit of a dork in his internal monologue when you played as him during the flashbacks and present, but I last played the first 4 games slightly over a decade ago so I might be misremembering.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Hobo Phoenix is definitely still a dork in his internal monologue, yeah. I feel like he'd seem less of a dork in 5 if you didn't see his perspective as often as you do in that game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Finished Day 1 of 6-5. This is much better than the absolute bore that was DD's final case so far. Apollo's had a hard life............

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The game so good that Apollo Justice shot up to No.1 on the popularity polls and, hell, he may still be there. I'm not sure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

The game so good that Apollo Justice shot up to No.1 on the popularity polls and, hell, he may still be there. I'm not sure.

Apollo was number 1 as of DD.

People actually really like the guy quite a bit, it seems.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Previews of this week's Famitsu are out, and the new Trilogy port has a featured article, and the English Twitter's been teasing new info, presumably the same as in the article.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 7, 2018

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
He just needed to stop being written by Shu Takumi

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
loving 2018

https://twitter.com/takumi_gt/status/1061249753621512193

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Missile passed away. A fantastic dog, one who will always be remembered thanks to Shu Takumi's games. Goodbye, Missile. Goodbye.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Finished the final investigation of SoJ's last case and starting the trial part right now. This party's gettin crazy.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWd3JA6cpY0

o7

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Finished it just now, took around 41 hours which was a good 10 hours longer than DD. The final case was much better than that game's, but overall the Apollo "trilogy" is a bit uneven in quality compared to the original, and I'm reluctant to call it that when he has to share screen time with two other characters, which is especially noticeable in the previous game. Hopefully after that ending they'll try to keep things more focused and make a game with Athena as the main character, maybe have her name instead of Phoenix's in the title like they did with Apollo Justice (in the West at least) to show it's the beginning of a new chapter in the franchise. Probably won't happen though.

Didn't do the DLC episode in either this or DD, might do them whenever they port the games to Switch like they're doing with the original trilogy. I thought about buying them but they're too expensive and I feel playing them after finishing the games would've ruined the pacing quite a bit, especially with SoJ's ending.

I still have AAI2 to play through. I might continue on with that???? Who knows.

GUI fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 15, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The DD DLC case is really good and probably my favorite case in the DS games, but the SoJ case is pretty middling outside of the nostalgia pull.

I'm happy to call it the Apollo trilogy because I've always liked him more than Phoenix as a protagonist, but the games are certainly weaker than the original trilogy on the whole.

I think I'm a bigger critic of Investigations 2 than anyone else in this thread, but I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoyed DD/SoJ, and it is miles better than the original Investigations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The SoJ DLC case suffers from the same issue as the rest of the game, where due to the fact that no single trial lasts more than one day what with the single day case 2 and cases 3 and 5 being two different trials in one episode, there are really only ever three characters in a case at a time: the defendant, the witness what didn't do it, and the witness what did do it. And yes, AA has always been more concerned with the howdunit than the whodunit, but it's still nice to have a bit of doubt.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I never bothered to finish the SoJ dlc case, mostly because when investigating it was getting pretty immediately obvious how the case was going to shake out (Magic is revealed to be science, body was moved in a cart, stuff like that). Did the case actually end up being surprising at all?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Lack of witnesses/suspects has been an issue since DD I think. I assume part of it comes from having to design 3D models this time around.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm on the second investigation of the last case in Trials and Tribulations - playing as Edgeworth was a cool surprise. I'm really glad I finally got into this series

How is the Takashi Miike movie? And the anime goes Season 1 = Ace Attorney and Justice for All, Season 2 = Trials and Tribulations right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Miike movie is alright for what it is. The darker tone kinda takes a toll on some of the characterization, but it's a decent watch.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The movie is worth watching for the outfits alone. It was a fairly entertaining movie, but changes left some vital parts of the game (Maya's entire character essentially) out to fit the changed narrative. I would really like to see them try again with the second game, though that one would probably be even harder to condense into an hour and a half.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
This conversation is starting to make me doubt whether I actually played the SoJ DLC case, and I don't have my copy around to check. Can someone give me a brief spoiler-free summary of the case premise? I don't trust google not to spoil stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NRVNQSR posted:

This conversation is starting to make me doubt whether I actually played the SoJ DLC case, and I don't have my copy around to check. Can someone give me a brief spoiler-free summary of the case premise? I don't trust google not to spoil stuff.

The scene of the murder is on an airship during a wedding.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Arist posted:

The scene of the murder is on an airship during a wedding.

Oh, that one. No wonder I couldn't remember it. Thanks!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

thanks alot assbag posted:

I never bothered to finish the SoJ dlc case, mostly because when investigating it was getting pretty immediately obvious how the case was going to shake out (Magic is revealed to be science, body was moved in a cart, stuff like that). Did the case actually end up being surprising at all?

It had some good twists and turns, I thought. Typical Ace Attorney style. BIG OL' SPOILER the defendent's fiancé has short term memory loss from the night he was in a terrible car accident. He keeps a detailed journal so he actually knows what's going on, otherwise he wakes up each day thinking it's the day after his accident, kinda like in Fifty First Dates. He thinks his betrothed killed the guy because the real killer wrote that she did in his journal. Part of his cross-examination is making him realize that it's not true so they can have their happy ending. I thought it was nice. :3:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The SoJ DLC case is a perfectly generic case that could have been slotted into any game at all, using none of the series' game-specific gimmicks. There is nothing remarkable about it at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Meanwhile, the DD DLC case has a really cool cast of characters, a good-rear end whale, and one of the best endings to a non-plot case in the series.

I mean

The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If there was ever a DLC worth buying, it's the DD DLC. Probably actually one of the top 5 cases in the series, and manages it without the help of building on the tension/drama of any previous ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The DD DLC case was so good

loved the way the guy took neither side and was actively sabotaging the cases for both the defense and the prosecution