Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

its china thats working on the gait recognition. the main crime there is doing stuff the govt doesn't like

or being uyghur or being muslim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Midjack posted:

lol

every government wants what china is going to have. most people want to live like china's citizens. china has already won.

which citizens do you mean - the rural poor, factory slaves, political prisoners or the "middle class" who seems to be having a good life only because you can't smell the smog through youtube videos

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gonadic io posted:

or being uyghur or being muslim

no need to repeat what you quoted

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
🎶 You can tell by the way I walk I'm a dissident
No right to talk 🎶

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

:eyepop:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
turns out that children, with less variation in dimentions/gait, and it constantly changing, are going to be the ideal spies in the future

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
the officials in charge of this technology will be known as... the gaitkeepers

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

*rides bicycle, adjusts seat height every now and then*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

Feel the city watchin'
And everyone's hop scotchin'
And we're stayin' inside, stayin' inside
Han Han Han Han, stayin' inside, stayin' inside
Han Han Han Han, stayin' insiiiiiiiiiiiide

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

lol

every government wants what china is going to have. most people want to live like china's citizens. china has already won.

you know, five years ago I didn’t think China’s oppression was a terrible deal. don’t say anything bad about the govt and you get a ruling class that understands making the masses comfortable is the easiest way to retain power. sounded alright compared to most of Congress actively trying to gently caress over everyone with a net worth under a billion dollars

but now they’re going full 1984 and, holy gently caress this is depressing, the USA looks pretty good by comparison. I don’t think, or at least I hope, that people generally don’t want to be in the 2018 Chinese citizen’s position

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we can try
to understand
the weibo feed's effect on man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

you know, five years ago I didn’t think China’s oppression was a terrible deal. don’t say anything bad about the govt and you get a ruling class that understands making the masses comfortable is the easiest way to retain power. sounded alright compared to most of Congress actively trying to gently caress over everyone with a net worth under a billion dollars

but now they’re going full 1984 and, holy gently caress this is depressing, the USA looks pretty good by comparison. I don’t think, or at least I hope, that people generally don’t want to be in the 2018 Chinese citizen’s position

One of my international students from China clearly really loved America, really loved going to school here, and badly wanted to stay around after he graduated, but immigration being what it is in the USA there was no path for that. The last week before he went back he was like a ghost hanging around the school every day until the building closed :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Sagebrush posted:

One of my international students from China clearly really loved America, really loved going to school here, and badly wanted to stay around after he graduated, but immigration being what it is in the USA there was no path for that. The last week before he went back he was like a ghost hanging around the school every day until the building closed :(

i have an indian friend here and she's got like 3 master's degrees at this point and has to keep moving around to keep a job that will sponsor her until she can get citizenship. it's insane.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

hoverwife's dad used to do this poli sci program where they brought over college students to essentially do hardcore poli sci coursework for a year

he said that they'd go over and interview prospective students for it who could think critically (from among the children of influential party members or whatever), and that one of the things their counterparts for the program tried to rule out were students who would be unwilling to return to china once they were done

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i think you're still going to get that from beijing, you'll just have fewer choices in a society carefully maintained to minimize awareness that there's any other way. when you're born and raised in a jail you don't even realize that you can get windows that don't have bars on them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TimWinter posted:

No right to talk 🎶

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

one of my classmates in my grad program last year was uyghur.

it took me a bit to understand what he actually meant when he told me he wouldn't be able to go home and visit his family for the foreseeable future.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

since then he got accepted into a PhD program and also married so i think he'll be OK for the time being :shobon:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

i think you're still going to get that from beijing, you'll just have fewer choices in a society carefully maintained to minimize awareness that there's any other way. when you're born and raised in a jail you don't even realize that you can get windows that don't have bars on them.

oh i'm sure that lots of chinese people approve of how things are going over there and if you ask might say things like "well its this or lawless chaos, of course i want govt to maintain order. dont you know about the cultural revolution". that doesn't make it a system i want getting anywhere near me

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Myer: how can we make xmas more Orwellian

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
THE BAUBLE KNOWS

"Christmas is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.” - Bauble

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
MyerCorp: boost your Citizen score with every bauble purchase

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

tech bauble thread is thataway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Skim Milk posted:

tech bauble thread is thataway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the elf on the trunk line

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

gonadic io posted:

the officials in charge of this technology will be known as... the gaitkeepers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TimWinter posted:

🎶 You can tell by the way I have to walk I'm a dissident
No right to talk 🎶

fixed for matching the meter

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Whether your a mugger or whether you're an uyghur you're trying to hide, trying to hide.
City's upsey daisy the cops are going crazy you're trying to hide, trying to hide.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chris Knight posted:

fixed for matching the meter

thank you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Whether your a mugger or whether you're an uyghur you're trying to hide, trying to hide.
City's upsey daisy the cops are going crazy you're trying to hide, trying to hide.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Got the eyes of gov'ment on my shoes
I've a social score that I just can't lose
You know it's alright, it's okay
I'll maybe see another day

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Or maybe: they cannot see my mother pray

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

By chaining up enough new and complex movements, you can smash the gait detection stack and write arbitrary instructions into memory.

The city will belong to a new breed, part hacker, part dancer. Elite hackdancing crews will rule the underground and run secret missions on behalf of the mega corps.

Step Up 2049 The Streets

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Blockade posted:

By chaining up enough new and complex movements, you can smash the gait detection stack and write arbitrary instructions into memory.

The city will belong to a new breed, part hacker, part dancer. Elite hackdancing crews will rule the underground and run secret missions on behalf of the mega corps.

Step Up 2049 The Streets

an arms race erupts as ai models are trained to recognize the start of a dance routine and blink momentarily to disrupt the payload

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

an arms race erupts

quite literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Blockade posted:

Step Up 2049 The Streets
A glimpse of the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0

• Locked thread