Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Happy Armistice Day.

Trump's acting attorney general involved in firm that scammed veterans out of life savings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mods changed my name posted:

Ross Perot probably would've been another horrible capitalist piece of poo poo but I can't even be mad at him

A tech billionaire who endorsed W and trades original copies of the Magna Carta as speculative investments?

Maybe. :thunk:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
How many minutes has it been since Trump embarrassed his nation? It seems like a surprisingly large amount of minutes.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How many minutes has it been since Trump embarrassed his nation? It seems like a surprisingly large amount of minutes.

He's been hiding from the rain.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I think I heard that he'll do a speech at a cemetery today, so he's saving it up.

God help us all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/cacorrections/status/1024439641221419008?s=21

:thunk:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
They are only getting paid something around $2 a day to do that as well

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They are only getting paid something around $2 a day to do that as well

And the training/experience fighting fires goes to waste when they get out because they won't hire ex-cons.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
isn't there some parks program specific to California that would hire these guys?

I seem to remember a poster on GiP doing something with that for a while. It sounded like a postincarceration rehab with a little vocational training thrown in

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Someone asked for Trump being an embarrassment today? He shows up late to Armistice Day after the guns stopped firing and the flyover concluded. Strong start to the celebration, but the day is young...

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump-world-leaders-mark-100-years-since-end-of-world-war-i/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

And the training/experience fighting fires goes to waste when they get out because they won't hire ex-cons.

That is what kills me more than the under-compensated labor, which is already a thing nationwide. At least make it possible for these skills to be used in civil service jobs later.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Immanentized posted:

isn't there some parks program specific to California that would hire these guys?

I seem to remember a poster on GiP doing something with that for a while. It sounded like a postincarceration rehab with a little vocational training thrown in

He had a thread about CCC, or some similar acronym. I remember what you're talking about.

E: this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813346&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 11, 2018

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

That is what kills me more than the under-compensated labor, which is already a thing nationwide. At least make it possible for these skills to be used in civil service jobs later.

Is it just that firefighting agencies won't hire them? I've worked in commercial diving and there's a training program run out in California that is pretty famous. https://www.kcet.org/agenda/con-diver-program-still-going-strong

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Total shot in the dark but I'm guessing it has something to do with firefighters/EMS being first responders and we can't have any goddamn CONVICTS trying to save people :bahgawd:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
^accurate shot!

quote:

To become a firefighter in California, the state requires certification as an emergency medical technician. But because occupational licensing laws bar felons from earning EMT licenses, ex-convicts can’t get the job.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/they-fought-wildfires-as-inmates-but-california-wont-let-them-become-firefighters-when-free

Other states don't all do this. AZ, not exactly famous for being nice to criminals(!), has a program for convicts to become firefighters once their time is served.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Someone asked for Trump being an embarrassment today? He shows up late to Armistice Day after the guns stopped firing and the flyover concluded. Strong start to the celebration, but the day is young...

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump-world-leaders-mark-100-years-since-end-of-world-war-i/

Reminder that Trump specifically wanted his big DC military parade this Veterans Day before it was nixed by the Pentagon and DC City Council.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.3ed2882f9d2e

WaPo posted:

In several tweets, Trump blamed local officials in Washington, alleging without evidence that they had inflated the cost to the city of a display of the country’s armed forces that had been inspired by Trump’s visit last year to a Bastille Day parade in Paris.

“The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it.”

Trump said it was possible the parade could be put on next year if the cost “comes WAY DOWN,” and added that with the savings “we can buy some more jet fighters!”

He said he would go to a parade in Paris to mark Armistice Day on Nov. 11 and also attend a “big parade” at Joint Base Andrews in the District’s Maryland suburbs.

His tweets were a confirmation of what the Pentagon had signaled a day before: that the planned Nov. 10 event might be postponed amid questions about its escalating costs, which were estimated to be as high as $92 million.

Trump has been pushing for a parade publicly and privately since he visited Paris in July 2017 and was deeply impressed by the Bastille Day celebration he attended as a guest of French President Emmanuel Macron. The grandiosity of the event included uniformed French troops marching down the Champs-Elysees avenue with tanks and armored vehicles while fighter jets flew over the Arc de Triomphe.

Trump’s plan immediately ran into concerns over its potential cost and whether the streets of Washington could withstand the type of heavy military equipment that the president witnessed rolling through Paris. But Trump continued to embrace the idea, and administration officials trudged ahead with the planning in recent months.

White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly briefed Trump this week on the growing cost of the event and several logistical concerns in an effort to discourage him from holding the parade, according to a senior administration official who, like another, spoke on the condition of anonymity. Kelly also told the president that if the parade occurred in Washington in November he would not be able to attend the event in Paris with other world leaders scheduled to be held at the same time to celebrate the centennial of the end of World War I.

:arghfist::smugdon: KELLY!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Can you imagine how lovely it would be to find out you're in the parade. It took three loving days to get our BN ready for a BDE change of command because nobody remembered any drill and ceremony. Now multiply that by a factor of ten because you need a YUGE PARADE. Probably have to have dudes scrubbing vehicles with tooth brushes for a month to make sure they're ready to be televised all over the world.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, just send everything for a fresh coat of CARC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hooray patriotism and glory, 100 years!

quote:

We’d gained our first objective hours before
While dawn broke like a face with blinking eyes,
Pallid, unshaven and thirsty, blind with smoke.
Things seemed all right at first. We held their line,
With bombers posted, Lewis guns well placed,
And clink of shovels deepening the shallow trench.
The place was rotten with dead; green clumsy legs
High-booted, sprawled and grovelled along the saps
And trunks, face downward, in the sucking mud,
Wallowed like trodden sand-bags loosely filled;
And naked sodden buttocks, mats of hair,
Bulged, clotted heads slept in the plastering slime.
And then the rain began,—the jolly old rain!

A yawning soldier knelt against the bank,
Staring across the morning blear with fog;
He wondered when the Allemands would get busy;
And then, of course, they started with five-nines
Traversing, sure as fate, and never a dud.
Mute in the clamour of shells he watched them burst
Spouting dark earth and wire with gusts from hell,
While posturing giants dissolved in drifts of smoke.
He crouched and flinched, dizzy with galloping fear,
Sick for escape,—loathing the strangled horror
And butchered, frantic gestures of the dead.

An officer came blundering down the trench:
“Stand-to and man the fire step!” On he went ...
Gasping and bawling, “Fire-step ... counter-attack!”
Then the haze lifted. Bombing on the right
Down the old sap: machine-guns on the left;
And stumbling figures looming out in front.
“O Christ, they’re coming at us!” Bullets spat,
And he remembered his rifle ... rapid fire ...
And started blazing wildly ... then a bang
Crumpled and spun him sideways, knocked him out
To grunt and wriggle: none heeded him; he choked
And fought the flapping veils of smothering gloom,
Lost in a blurred confusion of yells and groans ...
Down, and down, and down, he sank and drowned,
Bleeding to death. The counter-attack had failed.

quote:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 11, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Can you imagine how lovely it would be to find out you're in the parade. It took three loving days to get our BN ready for a BDE change of command because nobody remembered any drill and ceremony. Now multiply that by a factor of ten because you need a YUGE PARADE. Probably have to have dudes scrubbing vehicles with tooth brushes for a month to make sure they're ready to be televised all over the world.

Post had some maintenance audit years ago and found that four of our HMMWVs were so immaculate and well-kept by the assigned NCO that they became the de facto group of parade HMMWVs for, like.... ever? I even tried getting them deleted from our list of equipment requirements (we literally never used them aside from MX check-rides and parades), but those fuckers refused to drop off my unit's list of required vehicles, despite sending in the paperwork to have them deleted. We went ahead and just admitted defeat had them stenciled with the post commander's name.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean that's probably the best outcome. Seeing anything with BG/MG/LTG/GEN written on them would basically be an enlisted force field.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

90% of Army/Navy/AF/USMC Times readers said they didn't want a stupid parade. So only 10% are motards, which is kind of amazing really.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/titusandrgynous/status/1061480763948974081

the end conclusion of nothing mattersism

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
those people have brain worms

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1061637421995937793

o7

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I want to die.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

quote:

I saw a man this morning
Who did not wish to die:
I ask, and cannot answer,
If otherwise wish I.

Fair broke the day this morning
Against the Dardanelles;
The breeze blew soft, the morn's cheeks
Were cold as cold sea-shells.

But other shells are waiting
Across the Aegean Sea,
Shrapnel and high explosive,
Shells and hells for me.

O hell of ships and cities,
Hell of men like me,
Fatal second Helen,
Why must I follow thee?

Achilles came to Troyland
And I to Chersonese:
He turned from wrath to battle,
And I from three days' peace.

Was it so hard, Achilles,
So very hard to die?
Thou knowest and I know not--
So much the happier am I.

I will go back this morning
From Imbros over the sea;
Stand in the trench, Achilles,
Flame-capped, and shout for me.

quote:

So you were David’s father,
And he was your only son,
And the new-cut peats are rotting
And the work is left undone,
Because of an old man weeping,
Just an old man in pain,
For David, his son David,
That will not come again.

Oh, the letters he wrote you,
And I can see them still,
Not a word of the fighting,
But just the sheep on the hill
And how you should get the crops in
Ere the year get stormier,
And the Bosches have got his body,
And I was his officer.

You were only David’s father,
But I had fifty sons
When we went up in the evening
Under the arch of the guns,
And we came back at twilight -
O God! I heard them call
To me for help and pity
That could not help at all.

Oh, never will I forget you,
My men that trusted me,
More my sons than your fathers’,
For they could only see
The little helpless babies
And the young men in their pride.
They could not see you dying,
And hold you while you died.

Happy and young and gallant,
They saw their first-born go,
But not the strong limbs broken
And the beautiful men brought low,
The piteous writhing bodies,
They screamed “Don’t leave me, sir”,
For they were only your fathers
But I was your officer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Press square to pay respects

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

“Good-morning, good-morning!” the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
“He's a cheery old card,” grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

All nobles must hang

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Showing up late to a WW1 event and demanding full credit is re-enactment-grade American.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

From a month ago, I vaguely heard about Peter Jackson's work colorizing and touching up film from the Great War, but I didn't look into it beyond that.

Looks really neat, actually

He and his team did a whole lot more than add color. They cleaned up the film tremendously, hired lip readers to figure out what was being said, and a lot more. I don't think anything of that scale has ever been done with original war footage. Definitely something I'll track down when it comes out on DVD/streaming.

Vasudus posted:

It's doubly lovely because the boondoggle parade would naturally include every component of the military, and the brass always wants some kind of integrated formation, even if it's just a token. I was in an extremely public ceremony detail involving Army, Marines, and Air Force. The same verbal command can mean very different things between branches. Nothing quite like having a quarter of your formation take an extra step after everyone else makes a facing movement. In the end, we all had to learn Army drill so we didn't look like a disorganized group of idiots.

mlmp08 posted:

halosalute.png

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

idk its dumb enough that im ok with it

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg The Liam Clancy version is the best, at least to me.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4cdRgIcB8

(Didn't see it posted yet)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1061692418460925952?s=20

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqba0IUdiBk

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

quote:

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife.
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
and builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretchèd forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram, caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.

But the old man would not so, but slew his son,
And half the seed of Europe, one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03f8bZz1G4k