Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

On this note maybe instead of trying to fit discussion of everything into one thread, it would be better to have many short threads for every recent event. Would anybody here post in a thread just about the Florida recount? If a few people say yes I'll post one this afternoon.

I don't think a return to 2007 era D&D is going to go well/happen; most of the threads that haven't achieved some semblance of critical mass get pushed to the wayside. I would suggest posting that stuff in either the new Florida thread or US State/Local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

They're just trying to keep the narrative from being that the dems were going to impeach no matter what if they got in.

Obviously when the investigations uncover more stuff and evidence that will change. In the meantime expect a ton of hearings. Theres going to be a lot of those.

Also we have to remember that we can't get trump removed from office even after impeaching him, the republicans won't go along unless we find something really damning.

Unless Trump is on film literally sexually assaulting children while waving a sign that says, "I'm Donald J. Trump and I approve of this message" they'll say it's fake news and he'll stay in office.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Unless Trump is on film literally sexually assaulting children while waving a sign that says, "I'm Donald J. Trump and I approve of this message" they'll say it's fake news and he'll stay in office.

I think the fifth avenue quote was one of the most honest things Donad Trump has ever said out loud.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ice Phisherman posted:

Even then I'd have my doubts that they wouldn't just pivot to "actually sexually assaulting children is cool and good."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think the fifth avenue quote was one of the most honest things Donad Trump has ever said out loud.

I think the Access Hollywood tape is the most honest thing we'll ever hear said by Donald Trump because it was said in a private space with another powerful white man, and the honest truth about Donald Trump is that he is exactly the craven sociopath he appears to be.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ice Phisherman posted:

They actually were MS-13 gang members so its okay.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Thalantos posted:

Dems slowly slowly have made my life worse.

Sure, republicans make it worse faster, but dems are....not good on the issue.

I vote for Democrats, but I do so reluctantly for the most part.

In fact, I'll go out here and SPECIFICALLY call out the Obama administration for loving us over, by changing some standing policies in the federal government to make it easier for trans folks, but what did that do? It was a tokenesque handout, riled up republicans to the fact that trans folk even exist, and now rear end in a top hat in office took those away and then some from me and mine.

You know what would actually help most trans people, considering were primarily poor as poo poo?

Universal health care.

A strong social safety net.

poo poo, UBI!

All those things would make immediate improvements in my quality of life and that for a LOT of my trans siblings....sure, passports are nice, but most of us are struggling to make sure how to not end up homeless, so ahahaha lol at helping us with an ID that costs hundreds of dollars.

I think you're out of your mind to suggest that staying underground is preferable to actually doing the work of putting yourself front and center and loving marching for equality and rights. Would the civil rights movement been better served by waiting around for the white supremacists to extende UBI, UHC, and a strong social safety net to black folks?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you PPJ

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This post is more or less how I feel. It's pretty eye opening how 'dems bad' folk never provide an alternative aside from normalizing trump. They just prefer to whine and complain with a nice finale of nothing mattersism. If I want to hear that, I'd just give my grandma a call for an hour or so.

It's fine to complain but if that's all you bring to the table, then you're a part of the problem. I prefer actually doing something about it like actually voting, outreach, etc. If we fail then we get up and try again.

lmfao. theyre the only ones offering a solution

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/axios/status/1061629620666040320

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

In other news my friends in the Irvine and OC are are rejoicing the defeat of Dana Rohrabacher!

The dark warlocks of Irvine grow weaker. Soon we will find and destroy their phylactaries

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

What the gently caress are they spending the 200 million on if the soldiers don't have food or shelter? :psyduck:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
A solution of hiding and doing nothing but posting about trump isnt that bad and dems are just as bad? Neat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

What the gently caress are they spending the 200 million on if the soldiers don't have food or shelter? :psyduck:

Graft, 100%.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

E: wrong thread

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Buckwheat Sings posted:

A solution of hiding and doing nothing but posting about trump isnt that bad and dems are just as bad? Neat.

Well, that's not what happened.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:colbert:

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

This story is hilarious because guarantee trump forgot they're deployed

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CharlesPPierce/status/1061643031739293698

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

No. Wrong. Relying on politicians to protect you from fascism is a fool's errand. It's the entire society's job. This isn't a spectator sport. If you want things in the country to move in the direction you want, voting is just the beginning. You have to exert pressure on the people you vote for and hold them accountable. Obama DID pass things that were incrementally positive and moved the country in the right direction and his base got lazy, complacent, content and opened the door for fascism. That is just what happened.

His base didn't get lazy; they were either stymied at every step or had been hoodwinked into believing he could do no wrong--any policy he backed, no matter how heinous, was part of his strategy to own the GOP.

He was urging voters to call their members of Congress to pressure for a public option to be included in the ACA long after he'd made his backroom secret deals with lobbyists to preclude a public option.

He didn't lift a finger to put on his "comfortable walking shoes" or help striking public workers in Wisconsin.

He convinced voters that his pressuring the Dem House caucus to vote to slash Medicare and Social Security was an okey-doke... even though his top economic advisor was assuring people behind the scenes that Obama had every intention of cutting those programs.

He handpicked two deficit hawks as chairs of his austerity commission and he wanted the commission's recs passed by Congress without a procedure to allow amendments.

He passed extensions of the Bush tax cuts and the PATRIOT Act with nary a peep from any of his supporters. He also ramped up wars and the military budget.

His promises to "shut the revolving door" proved to be a farce. Marilyn Tavenner, who he appointed as head of CMS and who oversaw the implementation of the ACA, left his administration to become chief lobbyist for the health-insurance industry.

Numerous activist groups pushed for a stronger Dodd-Frank bill and for writedowns on bad mortgages during the crafting of HAMP. They were uniformly spurned by the party and the administration.

His staunchest supporters either made excuses for all these actions or handwaved them as being part of some brilliant political strategy. None of these things could have or would have been changed through voter activism--the public option being the best example of this.

To expect voters to have any sort of power to pressure against policies implemented by a government run by the elite and the donor class--and then blame the powerless when they have no voice against the people in power--is the height of disingenuousness, and only solidifies the grip that the elite have on our government.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 11, 2018

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

VH4Ever posted:

YES. Yes yes yes yes yes.

As someone living in Missouri, gently caress off with this. I have been very critical of Claire McCaskill, but if you think her losing to Josh Hawley was good you're loving delusional.

Yes, I'd rather run a progressive in Missouri but her losing is still a loss.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:drat:

Willa Rogers posted:

He didn't lift a finger to put on his "comfortable walking shoes" or help striking public workers in Wisconsin.

I was in high school when this happened but as an adult it makes me pretty angry and sad.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Petr posted:

Anyone who uses the word "rigging" without specifying what they mean sounds like a low info Fox news watcher. That could mean anything from "hacking voting machines" to " actually counting everyone who voted."

replace that "r" with an "n" and you'll have your answer.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Willa Rogers posted:

His base didn't get lazy; they were either stymied at every step or had been hoodwinked into believing he could do no wrong--any policy he backed, no matter how heinous, was part of his strategy to own the GOP.

He was urging voters to call their members of Congress to pressure for a public option to be included in the ACA long after he'd made his backroom secret deals with lobbyists to preclude a public option.

He convinced voters that his pressuring the Dem House caucus to vote to slash Medicare and Social Security was an okey-doke... even though his top economic advisor was assuring people behind the scenes that Obama had every intention of cutting those programs.

He handpicked two deficit hawks as chairs of his austerity commission and he wanted the commission's recs passed by Congress without a procedure to allow amendments.

He passed extensions of the Bush tax cuts and the PATRIOT Act with nary a peep from any of his supporters. He also ramped up wars and the military budget.

His promises to "shut the revolving door" proved to be a farce. Marilyn Tavenner, who he appointed as head of CMS and who oversaw the implementation of the ACA, left his administration to become chief lobbyist for the health-insurance industry.

His staunchest supporters either made excuses for all these actions or handwaved them as being part of some brilliant political strategy. None of these things could have or would have been changed through voter activism--the public option being the best example of this.

To expect voters to have any sort of power to pressure against policies implemented by a government run by the elite and the donor class--and then blame the powerless when they have no voice against the people in power--is the height of disingenuousness, and only solidifies the grip that the elite have on our government.

ty

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Your Parents posted:

lmfao. theyre the only ones offering a solution

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is there a post I missed outlining the solution in the last few pages?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

From posting in here, now I know you're not ALL cannibals. consider it a win. :q:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a thousand new posts and like 10 pages to go through when I woke up this morning so I thought something must have happened.

Boy was I loving wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

death panels.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1061435359547002880

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

alpha_destroy posted:

As someone living in Missouri, gently caress off with this. I have been very critical of Claire McCaskill, but if you think her losing to Josh Hawley was good you're loving delusional.

Yes, I'd rather run a progressive in Missouri but her losing is still a loss.

I mean, near term, sure no argument there. And as a 1 vs the other comparison, yeah, also true. I was agreeing with the overall sentiment though of hopefully the next Dems who run for office in 2020 see what someone who likely would have lost anyway due to an unfavorable map did to make their loss underperform even the unfavorable polling and maybe not do that in their campaigns? And stake out better, less Centrist-mushy positions on issues? I was talking the long game, of shifting the party leftward as a whole.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

don't forget decided pretty much from the get go that he wasn't going to do the needful when it came to the bankers.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Uhhhhhhh

I think I might throw some money Mike Espy's way now.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 11, 2018

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

jerry seinfel posted:

E: wrong thread

Lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Paying the companies that make the planes and vehicles to move the troops, and the tent makers, and the barbed wire factories.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sounds like they should just house them in local residences.

Do it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Privatized death panels are more efficient.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

i am harry posted:

Paying the companies that make the planes and vehicles to move the troops, and the tent makers, and the barbed wire factories.

Also even at low wages, the volume of people there adds up.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

What's the average pay? I'm assuming ~$2000 monthly? That ends up being around $30 million pm.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yiggy posted:

I wonder what’s going on in us politics. Oh, Dems bad? Well then

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

I suspect that they wouldn't include wages since the soldiers are getting paid regardless. But travel, cheap-rear end housing, and the value of other work they could be doing instead certainly adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
McCaskill losing is not a loving good thing Jesus Christ.

Yes because I’m sure the Dems losing their toehold in Missouri and the incumbency advantage in a deep red state will surely lead to a progressive candidate to step up and take her place.