Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

King of Solomon posted:

So where do you draw the line? At what point do you look at a Democratic candidate and say "no, I can't support this person, even though the Republican is worse"?

You already answered that dude.

And for the record, I voted against her in the primary because I'm not loving stupid. And I donated money to dems this campaign but not her. But yeah, between her and Hawley I voted for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1061680107411161088

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1061681110302818306

https://twitter.com/drewsg1/status/1061680847391244289

Florida is trending red pretty fast, with olds moving there and well-assimilated cuban-american base doubling down on the GOP

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skex posted:

An explanation is not the same as an excuse. The circumstances that created the unaccompanied minor crisis were outside of the immediate control of the Obama administration at the time and the resources and systems to deal with it didn't exist. While yes the optics of children in warehouse spaces using chain fence partitions and enclosures were horrible they were in fact superior to leaving them wandering in the streets and it was a substantially different situation than the deliberate cruelty of intentionally separating children including infants from their families in order to send a message to other potential refugees that they are not welcome here.

this is the problem, you only care about "the optics." perhaps the solution to homeless refugees isn't to pay private prison companies to lock them in cages, but provide them with decent living conditions?

quote:

Let's put this in video game terms to see if people can grasp it. Pelosi is the tank, she is there to absorb the attacks from the right and defend the party leaving room for members such as Waters and Lee can do their thing. And she is very effective at it. Her Waters and Lee are allies, they probably intentionally determined their roles in this fight together and likely coordinate strategy regularly.

if pelosi is tanking, she is doing a terrible job at holding aggro off of maxine waters, who is hated as much as nancy pelosi by the right. the mmo routine would be to kick a tank who can't hold aggro, why shouldn't we replace the speaker for the same reason?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You/this are/is a godsend. My schedules been lovely as of late and a thread like that is highly useful.

Stickman posted:

I'm mostly disappointed that there's no place left in this post-election hellscape for puppies.
nonsense. To prove it, have this blind dog who learned a new way to expel a whippet's infinite energy in a way relatively safe(and hilarious) for a blind dog to do
https://i.imgur.com/i043EOx.gifv

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

alpha_destroy posted:

You already answered that dude.

And for the record, I voted against her in the primary because I'm not loving stupid. And I donated money to dems this campaign but not her. But yeah, between her and Hawley I voted for her.

So there is no line. There is no standard you will hold a Democrat to as long as the Republican is even slightly worse?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
WRT: "if Donnelly, Heitkamp, Bredesen and McCaskill all won we'd have taken the Senate!" talk, again...I don't remember any forecasts saying this would happen. I guess I don't see the point in debating how things would have gone in a fictional parallel universe, nor do I see the value of doing said same nor what it could possibly teach us.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

As Sinema's lead grows and seats tighten in CA, The Donald is handling it surprisingly calm

quote:

Simple...voter fraud penalties: 20 years and automatic deportation for voter, 40 years for volunteers, and life without parole for officials, per single fraudulent vote.
-
 I am getting tired of hearing and seeing the thievery and murder that is being carried on by the democrats. First they sell our uranium to russia( to line their pockets), they let our people be killed in Benghazi. Here in the states they protest everything our elected president does. And yet they commit fraud during the election and nothing is done. MR PRESIDENT INVALIDATE TUESDAYS ELECTION AND COMMIT A DATE FOR A REDO WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT OVERSEEING IT NO MORE ILLEGALS VOTING THIS COUNTRY IS FOR LEGAL AMERICANS ONLY.........
-
Do you want more asians in our country? I'm pretty sure 70% of them vote Democrat.
-
Been FUMING about this and there is NO doubt in my mind that there are OTHER races that were stolen. TOO many flipped blue that makes NO SENSE and Dems have been doing this for years and are doing a "trial run" for the 2020 elections to see what works for them and what doesn't.
-
I have lost all faith in the election system, and don't even see a point in voting in future elections.
-
This is what starts revolutions. Our elections are being subverted.
Soap box. Ballot box. Jury box. Ammo box.
We're now giving #3 a chance. I refuse to let America be hobbled by this bullshit. Luckily, I have hope our dude in charge can take a good whack at it.
-
This whole voter fraud thing has really depressed me about politics in general. I'm not getting as invested in it as I was before. Dont get me wrong I'll still vote .. but the whole uniparty thing just makes me feel nothing will ever change. I find myself not wanting to read news anymore, drudge is pure depression, and no one seems to ever be held accountable. Maybe its just burnout... I'm just sick of how corrupt politics is.
-
I usually do not get pissed off over politics but this is the second time I am getting seriously pissed off since 2016 (not even in house defeat or the 1000000 media and deep state attack)

I was not even pissed off during kavanaugh that much because I knew we can fight it
But now I am boiling with anger. Fraud? Breaking law? Contempt of court? These people should have been locked up yesterday.
Reality really has a liberal bias if you can cheat your way from the mass communication, tech companies, education, experts, social media and down to ACTUAL loving VOTES.

I am not at all pissed at them, they are commie scum. Gop has to launch a national offensive or the party is toast in 2020.
This is how they work. They test the waters and slowly increase their hanky panky. If 2018 is not investigated, you can expect a blue tsunami made up of fraud votes in 2020.
The first time I was pissed off was when sessions decided to sit on his rear end and let the rat run the whole poo poo show

Let us see how the new AG rolls. But unless there is a nuclear level of info drop or reveal about the left's shenigans along with indictments, the mass media brainwashing will not go

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You forgot Colorado. CO is as close to a layup as Democrats will get in 2020. Look for Cory Gardner to try and scramble back towards the middle with Colorado slowly trending bluer and bluer, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Susan "Fuckface" Collins "remember" that she was supposed to be a moderate in an attempt to save her hide too. Too late for her though--she burned every bridge to moderates and conservative Democrats by voting for Kavanaugh.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Collins survived while Gardner, Tillis, and Kyl* all lost.

I'll talk about it in my Maine post, but she's the senior Senator in Maine now, and long incumbent senators get there by knowing their constituents better then anyone else.

Then again, Collins has some pretty bad polling numbers atm too.

*what the gently caress is happening in AZ does anyone know

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thanks. Never going to post in it or read it, but thanks anyway.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

King of Solomon posted:

So there is no line. There is no standard you will hold a Democrat to as long as the Republican is even slightly worse?

In our hosed up system, yes I am always voting for the less bad option when there is no other alternative. But, like I was saying, there is a lot more to politics than voting and none of my non-voting energy went to McCaskill. Voting for her against Hawley was literally the least I could do but was also definitely the thing to do in the circumstances.

Edit: also, my original point was that talking in hypotheticals and abstractions masks actual effects. So gently caress your dumb hypothetical line of questioning anyway.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 11, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

As Sinema's lead grows and seats tighten in CA, The Donald is handling it surprisingly calm

Getting a big ol' chuckle out of the guy who thinks Trump can invalidate any election he wants.

That isn't how it works, champ. Now go ask your mom for some pudding.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

havin a normal one demanding martial law

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

he's pretty much declaring that the AZ/FL elections are fake on twitter, it's pretty amazing that TRUMP has driven the discourse in the country to the point where any close democratic victory is considered illegitimate

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

So where do you draw the line? At what point do you look at a Democratic candidate and say "no, I can't support this person, even though the Republican is worse"?

Either 1) literally worse than the Republican (i.e. literal child rapist), 2) secure enough control of the (massively undemocratic) Senate to ensure that the party of white nationalism is likely to be elected, 3) overhaul of our massively lovely election system so that we can just argue about whether it worth our leftist party forming a coalition with the dirty centrists to create a majority coalition, or 4) poo poo is hosed enough that insurrection is the only solution.

The Senate map is getting worse by year, so I suspect losing blue dogs isn't going to lead to better candidates in those states in the future, or at least not the near future.

Captain Invictus posted:

You/this are/is a godsend. My schedules been lovely as of late and a thread like that is highly useful.
nonsense. To prove it, have this blind dog who learned a new way to expel a whippet's infinite energy in a way relatively safe(and hilarious) for a blind dog to do

:kimchi:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Typo posted:

Florida is trending red pretty fast, with olds moving there and well-assimilated cuban-american base doubling down on the GOP

If Florida is on the brink of being lost, as is Ohio, Democrats better have really clever plans for the Wisconsin, Arizona and making Pennsylvania the next Virginia. Also getting PR and DC into loving statehood.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

alpha_destroy posted:

And Josh Hawley, who supports Trump's child separation policy isn't?

Like I said. McCaskill has serious problems and the caravan was one of them. But loving laffo if you think Hawley will be better for people of color than McCaskill.
I would just appreciate that if a Dem candidate is running as a Dem, that they actually campaign like a Dem should. Not pander to Republicans who will never vote for her no matter what. This also applies to Joe Donnelly. Why these people keep playing into Trump's tiny hands is beyond me.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Dunking on them repeatedly is the only language the chuds understand.

No, they are a either a pre-lingistic society or have a TNG language all their own.

"Trump, when the escalator descended."

"Charlie Kirk, his diapers fresh."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sanguinia posted:

If Florida is on the brink of being lost, as is Ohio, Democrats better have really clever plans for the Wisconsin, Arizona and making Pennsylvania the next Virginia. Also getting PR and DC into loving statehood.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1061657448719749120

This map gets you to 270 without Florida or Ohio.

(Edit DO NOT PUT YOUR FAITH IN IOWA AND ARIZONA THIS IS NOT A GOOD PATH)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Typo posted:

he's pretty much declaring that the AZ/FL elections are fake on twitter, it's pretty amazing that TRUMP has driven the discourse in the country to the point where any close democratic victory is considered illegitimate

The amazing thing is that your system lasted this long without anyone pushing these buttons before.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Pththya-lyi posted:

No, they are a either a pre-lingistic society or have a TNG language all their own.

"Trump, when the escalator descended."

"Charlie Kirk, his diapers fresh."

America, when The Wall fell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Typo posted:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1061680107411161088

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1061681110302818306

https://twitter.com/drewsg1/status/1061680847391244289

Living in this state my entire life, I can't really understand what is going on. I know in 2016 a lot of Hispanics went for Rubio and did not vote for Patrick Murphy. But Murphy was also a bad candidate.

Low turnout in Dade though, I can't explain it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Sanguinia posted:

I say Ohio is lost by this point, there is only 1 state-wide Democrat in elected office at this point (Sherrod Brown), who didn't win this election by all that much

Arizona is bluing pretty fast, as is North Carolina and Georgia, WI/MI/PA judging by the midterm results are lean blue for the next couple cycles at least

Also at the presidential level, there is that -3 Beto loss in Texas which shows the state is competitive at this point with a good candidate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tibalt posted:

The West seems to be going more and more reliably blue now. NM, NV, CO have been trending more that way. Arizona is kind of on the edge, moreso than Texas is.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Pennsylvania was like a Democratic stronghold for generations until 2016 and now you're talking about it like it's a red state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't emphasize the point enough, Claire McCaskill ran TV ads calling fellow Democrats crazy, it cannot be more apparent that the resistance to criticizing Democrats only goes one way: to silence criticism of corporate Dems who are of course under no reciprocal obligation to refrain from criticizing antiracists and other left-wing Democrats.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
as long as the democrats keep doing the "i know we aren't great, but have you SEEN" the other guy, they are complicit in fascism, and nothing will get better.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Typo posted:

I say Ohio is lost by this point, there is only 1 state-wide Democrat in elected office at this point (Sherrod Brown), who didn't win this election by all that much

Arizona is bluing pretty fast, as is North Carolina and Georgia, WI/MI/PA judging by the midterm results are lean blue for the next couple cycles at least

Also at the presidential level, there is that -3 Beto loss in Texas which shows the state is competitive at this point with a good candidate

Is there any real hope for Georgia with how badly they've been screwed over by voter supression? I want to believe, and recent elections show that many high-level D strategists do, but Georgia's actual results continue to strike me as a pipe dream.

North Carolina looks substantially better in my eyes.

Giggy posted:

Pennsylvania was like a Democratic stronghold for generations until 2016 and now you're talking about it like it's a red state.

I've always understood Penn to be a purple-leaning-teal swing state. Is that wrong? Anyway, I know it's a state that generally favors Ds, I just meant I'd like to see it trending more like Virginia, where the D's are surging in all corners even areas where they traditionally haven't had success.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 11, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tibalt posted:

the easiest way to 270, I agree, is to just to rebuild that blue wall of MI/WI/PA

but that means nominating someone like Klobuchar which I don't see the party doing in 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stickman posted:

Either 1) literally worse than the Republican (i.e. literal child rapist), 2) secure enough control of the (massively undemocratic) Senate to ensure that the party of white nationalism is likely to be elected, 3) overhaul of our massively lovely election system so that we can just argue about whether it worth our leftist party forming a coalition with the dirty centrists to create a majority coalition, or 4) poo poo is hosed enough that insurrection is the only solution.

The Senate map is getting worse by year, so I suspect losing blue dogs isn't going to lead to better candidates in those states in the future, or at least not the near future.

Yeah, I can't relate to this at all. Maybe I'd think differently if I lived in a red state, but I couldn't see myself voting for Joe Donnelly under any circumstances, to say nothing of people who are theoretically even worse than him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if the felons could've voted gillum and nelson would've won pretty easily.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Sanguinia posted:

Is there any real hope for Georgia with how badly they've been screwed over by voter supression? I want to believe, and recent elections show that many high-level D strategists do, but Georgia's actual results continue to strike me as a pipe dream.

North Carolina looks substantially better in my eyes.

GA was R+5 in 2016 and Stacy Abrams in recount territory even with voter suppression

voter suppression is probably R+1/R+2, but it's not an obstacle that could not be overcame, the key has to be college educated whites (esp women) near Atlanta many of whom are transplants from the north. It's pretty difficult to voter suppress those people relative to minorities.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Typo posted:

I think Ohio is falling victim to demographics; throughout the state but prominently in the southern half, young Ohioans are moving away to the coasts or to Chicago rather than stick around their towns and cities. We’ll have to wait and see how 2020 shakes out, but I’m similarly not optimistic about it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

This happens because republican voters know that when they vote GOP, their representatives will broadly do what they want, whereas the first thing Democrats do when they get power is to start making GBS threads on their base and declare that the things the base wants are completely off the table. This leads to the current situation where the GOP wins over and over until they gently caress up so bad that the sheer popular backlash gives the Dems an occasional win, hth. Hence the Democratic party needs to be reformed first if you want the GOP out of power for good

It's because the current Dem leadership are completely incapable to resist fascism at best and a bunch of Quislings at worst, and hence they've gotta go if fascism is to be stopped. They're responsible for paving the way to where we are now, and hence this whole dem fanboy fantasy of team D winning an election is all that it takes is absurd and counterproductive. You're essentially in a ticking time bomb situation where you have to unfuck the fundamental problems in the US before an actually competent fascist arrives on the political scene, but the dems have shown themselves to be capable of what's at best a holding action, and hence everybody who's just circling the wagons around the dem establishment is making fascism pretty much inevitable.

Also getting mad at individual voters just doesn't loving work, so anybody who still pushes that line while claiming to want the GOP out of power shouldn't be listened to under any circumstances.

Yeah, the Republican base sure is exclusively billionaires who get helped by tax cuts.

The only way this statement could be even sort of true is if you admit you do not care about fighting racism and naziism, and only care about you and your interests. Cause you're arguing that Republican voters care about destroying the lives of anyone they think is different, and you dont care about stopping them doing that.

And the idea that leftism can magically always beat fascism got shot in the head and left in a ditch by Bolsonaro.

Not a Step posted:

The Democratic Party actively works to undermine its own primary process to freeze out leftist candidates. Its a bit of a problem.

And then the Dems who do get elected turn out to either be collaboraters like Schumer or Quislings like Manchin, so maybe a few purity tests, like 'do you oppose fascism?', would probably be pretty good

"Having people who are not you voting in it" is not actively freezing them out. A test isn't biased against you because you refuse to do anything to succeed in it and feel you deserve to win just for showing up.

Maybe, just maybe, all the leftists who scream we need leftist candidates to win, should focus on making those leftist candidates better at winning, and not demand the dems give them the nomination just for showing up so they can be stomped into the dirt by Republicans.

Or we can go the Cynthia Nixon route, and purge voters from the Democrats until you're sure that only people who will vote for pure candidates remain.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Teddybear posted:

I think Ohio is falling victim to demographics; throughout the state but prominently in the southern half, young Ohioans are moving away to the coasts or to Chicago rather than stick around their towns and cities. We’ll have to wait and see how 2020 shakes out, but I’m similarly not optimistic about it.

agreed, young people don't want to stay in the rustbelt states unless it's PA and they are moving to Philadelphia

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Fallom posted:

Dang, usually people have to be prodded a little to take off their mask and start talking about yachting and buying vacation homes

Lol I mean the house is only $115,000 up on Houghton Lake. I look at it more of an investment. By the time I fix it up and in 15 years when the loan is paid off it can be what makes me able to retire comfortably. My boat is also a year 2000 small bowrider. All though I know it’s more than a lot have but I’m not exactly talking millions of dollars.

But for everyone else thank you for the answers about the voting situation. I worry that locally it will be fairly Republican dominated, I’ll have to check districts and all that later. But unless I make that my permanent address I’m basically a felon is what I’m gathering? I’ll just keep voting in Visclosky and be disappointed we’ll never see another blue senator from Indiana with the way this state has gone since it went blue in 2008.

Edit: also Michigan just legalized weed which should give a bump in property value maybe 5-6% alone. More if they open dispensary’s in the county.

Harton fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 11, 2018

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

This thread is unreadable btw. Who's loving terrible idea was it to combine a fast moving current events thread with Demchat so I get to comb through 15 pages of rehashing the Democratic primary of 2016 to find a single Macron tweet that happened overnight. This argument is never finished, repeats the same concepts endlessly and needs to go elsewhere.

Oh, no! How can democracy survive if you missed that Macron tweet overnight!

Surely that tweet is way more important than being forced to tackle our country's not-so-gradual decline into fascism and how to prevent it, rather than abetting it, in the future.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
key statistic/demography imo:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

And the idea that leftism can magically always beat fascism got shot in the head and left in a ditch by Bolsonaro.

Uh so what you think should have happened in Brazil may I ask? I never saw that particular line of thought.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Typo posted:

agreed, young people don't want to stay in the rustbelt states unless it's PA and they are moving to Philadelphia

Pittsburgh is also having a nice revitalization. They've got a lot of green energy related jobs now plus excellent universities and are pretty effectively transitioning away from heavy industry after a decade or two of being not so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m not surprised at all that Hispanics are trending red in Florida, old Cuban Americans are still mad about JFK and younger ones will sell their souls to be white even though they’ll get played just the same as the brown people