Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

sticksy posted:

Would you be willing to share a link to this with BSS..? If not totally understand.

I've enjoyed the runs you described (Miller and JrJr's Man without Fear mini was on of my favorites in my early adolescence), would love to read a deep dive on something like what you've described.

I 2nd this request. If you don't want to share the whole article, would you mind giving us a quick summary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

X-O posted:

There's a Denny O'Neil collection somewhere between the Miller Daredevil runs. Can't remember what the trade is called though. You don't want to forget the Man Without Fear miniseries either. Skip the Smith stuff. Read all the Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, and Soule you can.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You can but try to read Nocenti's run, some of it is collected in those Marvel Epic Collections books

I should have clarified: The ones I listed are the only ones available in physical formats to me, which is what I'm looking for right now, so it's either Read That or Don't Read That.

I didn't, however, account for the Man Without Fear miniseries, which I suppose must go between Miller and Bendis.

I think that's all settled then, thanks, folks.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can someone help me with Stormwatch? I took the threads advice on “what books lead up to The Authority” and bought two big collected volumes but in the second book the penultimate issue has a big asteroid heading for earth, a Stormwatch shuttle is heading for the satellite but they can’t raise anyone.... and then in the final issue it’s a memorial, the satellite is gone and everyone’s dead.

What do I need to read to see this seemingly very important part of the story?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

sticksy posted:

Would you be willing to share a link to this with BSS..? If not totally understand.

I've enjoyed the runs you described (Miller and JrJr's Man without Fear mini was on of my favorites in my early adolescence), would love to read a deep dive on something like what you've described.

B33rChiller posted:

I 2nd this request. If you don't want to share the whole article, would you mind giving us a quick summary?

Believe me, I would love to, but it won't come out until 2019, hopefully in February or March. The editing process is lengthy and involved and usually takes months. I had to write this article to apply for tenure, and getting a publication offer was a huge deal that might just save my job. As soon as it's available, I can't wait to share it on BSS.

Sanford posted:

Can someone help me with Stormwatch? I took the threads advice on “what books lead up to The Authority” and bought two big collected volumes but in the second book the penultimate issue has a big asteroid heading for earth, a Stormwatch shuttle is heading for the satellite but they can’t raise anyone.... and then in the final issue it’s a memorial, the satellite is gone and everyone’s dead.

What do I need to read to see this seemingly very important part of the story?

Wildcats/Aliens. It was a one-shot issue written by Warren Ellis that was co-published by DC/Wildstorm and Dark Horse. The Xenomorphs from the Aliens franchise attacked and killed off most of the original Stormwatch team, including Winter, Fahrenheit, Fuji, and Hellstrike. DC doesn't have the rights to reprint it in new collections, but it was included in one of the original five Stormwatch TPBs, "Final Orbit," that predate the two big volumes you have.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Believe me, I would love to, but it won't come out until 2019, hopefully in February or March. The editing process is lengthy and involved and usually takes months. I had to write this article to apply for tenure, and getting a publication offer was a huge deal that might just save my job. As soon as it's available, I can't wait to share it on BSS.

No worries, totally understand. Regardless, it is extremely cool you've written something like this, especially for something like achieving tenure - excited to hear it hopefully confirmed and to read that article

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

What kinda spider-man stories do you want to read? High melodrama adventures about him starting out as a hero? Fun lighthearted tales where the good guys always win? One and done team up adventures? Dark deconstructions of his character? Stories about maturation and legacy? Relentlessly depressing cavalcades of unfathomable human suffering? Dumb garbage with no redeeming artistic value? Personal and emotionally charged tales? Stories about overcoming impossible odds?

The character's huge publication history is intimidating, but if you know what flavor of Spider-man you're hankering for, I can suggest a good place to start.

You know what, I have no idea. I like maybe Dark deconstructions, maturation and legacy, depressing cavalcades of human suffering?

So far really enjoying Hellblazer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phi230 posted:

You know what, I have no idea. I like maybe Dark deconstructions, maturation and legacy, depressing cavalcades of human suffering?

Kraven's Last Hunt and the entirety of Spider-Man's Tangled Web. First arc is even written Ennis, who's the best Hellblazer writer by far.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you read Kraven's Last Hunt Spider-Man is wearing the black costume but at that time it was just a costume, not the symbiote that eventually becomes Venom.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

Kraven's Last Hunt and the entirety of Spider-Man's Tangled Web. First arc is even written Ennis, who's the best Hellblazer writer by far.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you read Kraven's Last Hunt Spider-Man is wearing the black costume but at that time it was just a costume, not the symbiote that eventually becomes Venom.

Are these included in larger volumes or will I have to hunt down a ton of issues?

So far Hellblazer is like my favorite. I love Long Halloween from Batman but I love the Hunger storyline so far in Hellblazer. I really like Ennis, do you recommend Planetary? I dig Transmetropolitian from what little I've read.

I also see that Loeb and Sale did a Spider man run - Spider-man Blue - is that any good?

Whoops I got Garth Ennis confused with Warren Ellis. Still, is planetary any good?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Planetary is good, but that's Ellis not Ennis

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

site posted:

Yeah I just got caught that haha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There should be trades of everything I mentioned. Kraven's Last Hunt definitely has a hardback or soft trade still in print. Tangled Web probably has the same, but in multiple volumes.

Fake edit: there's a $60 omnibus of Tangled Web on Amazon, the reason I brought the series up was you saying you liked Hellblazer and the first arc was written by Garth Ennis..

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kravens last Hunt was recently released as one of the epic collections.

So it’s there but there are some chaff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

site posted:

Planetary is a masterpiece.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

sticksy posted:

No worries, totally understand. Regardless, it is extremely cool you've written something like this, especially for something like achieving tenure - excited to hear it hopefully confirmed and to read that article

Be careful what you wish for, it might be "Daredevil: An ethographic study of White Superiority and Appropriate Female Roles"

(Just kidding Lou I went with the worst thing I could think of)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phi230 posted:

JM Dematteis' Spider-man (get out before the clones show up) and the back half of the initial run of Ultimate Spider-man. I also recommend Peter David's The Death of Jean Dewolff.

After that, look into JMS' run on Spider-man, which is entirely about the character maturing into his mid 30s.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm gonna suggest something slightly left-field and recommend Si Spurrier's run of X-Force

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Phi230 posted:

Are these included in larger volumes or will I have to hunt down a ton of issues?

So far Hellblazer is like my favorite. I love Long Halloween from Batman but I love the Hunger storyline so far in Hellblazer. I really like Ennis, do you recommend Planetary? I dig Transmetropolitian from what little I've read.

I also see that Loeb and Sale did a Spider man run - Spider-man Blue - is that any good?

Whoops I got Garth Ennis confused with Warren Ellis. Still, is planetary any good?

Suffering and eventual (kind of) maturation? My friend, have you tried X-Statix?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Spider-Man: Blue is excellent, it's also only 6 issues.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Marz Silver Surfer is generally considered good, correct?

Also, how's the John Byrne Surfer? I know people hate Byrne with good reason but it seems to be from before he lost his fastball and mind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Be careful what you wish for, it might be "Daredevil: An ethographic study of White Superiority and Appropriate Female Roles"

(Just kidding Lou I went with the worst thing I could think of)

I promise it isn't that! It's actually about the portrayal of lawyers and the legal system in Daredevil comics by Miller, Bendis, Hine, Waid, and Soule, and how popular culture (film, TV, and in this case, comics) shapes public opinions about the practice of law. It took me months to research and write, and I'm hoping people find it interesting once it finally comes out.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I promise it isn't that! It's actually about the portrayal of lawyers and the legal system in Daredevil comics by Miller, Bendis, Hine, Waid, and Soule, and how popular culture (film, TV, and in this case, comics) shapes public opinions about the practice of law. It took me months to research and write, and I'm hoping people find it interesting once it finally comes out.

As a lawyer who loves Daredevil, this sounds pretty good. I'll look forward to read it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are the Elektra solo series any good? I read the most recent one and it was OK, but I was wondering if prior series were actually good (I’ve already read Assassin and Miller’s Daredevil)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What Image books should I be reading (already read Sex Crims and Curse Words, love 'em both)? Are there any hidden gems collected from the 90's? I know Image was unreadable crap at first but they definitely changed over the years?

Is God Country good? What about Common Grounds?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 18, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Image 2018 isn't remotely Image 1992. I'd say the inflection point was right around 2000 when Powers launched. I have subscriptions for:

Sex Criminals
Deadly Class
Saga
Black Magick (though I'm not sure what the status of this is)
Outpost Zero
The Wicked + The Divine (this is starting its final arc shortly)
East of West
The Black Monday Murders (this only has one or two issues left)
Southern Bastards (this seems to be ongoing but it's very sporadic in releases)

God Country was okay. I can't say I loved it, but I did read it through. I Hate Fairyland was really fun, so check that out.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

What Image books should I be reading (already read Sex Crims and Curse Words, love 'em both)? Are there any hidden gems collected from the 90's? I know Image was unreadable crap at first but they definitely changed over the years?

Is God Country good? What about Common Grounds?

That's a pretty tall order so I guess I'd start with most of Remender, Brubaker, Hickman, Gillen, and Vaughn. That should keep you busy for a while. If you're going back in time I'd add Bendis.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've read Powers and love it, I think it's as vital to Bendis' positive legacy as a writer as USM. I should be a bit more specific

Invincible was too analog-ish for me (which is weird as I love Astro City), and I refuse to read anything else kirkman wrote after trying Walking Dead and hating it
I like but don't love Deadly Class (should have mentioned that sorry)
East of West is good, I forgot it was Image (thought it was Vertigo)

What Gillen books should I read?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Extremity
Head Lopper
Lazarus
ODY-C

Just started Cemetery Beach, but it's Ellis promising to do an action book, so I'm optimistic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All of 'em.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

For Gillen, start with Uber. It’s great if you don’t mind occasional over the top gore (and it’s nowhere near as bad as say, Garth Ennis standard).

Some less common Image recommendations, I only buy TPBs so I’ll be somewhat out of date with recent releases:

Fuse - detectives on a space station. Plays with cliches in a fun way. Collected into four volumes, third one is particularly good dealing with a huge annual celebration on the station and the stories, big and small, that weave through it. Incomplete but probably done.

Manifest Destiny - I remember this being slated by someone on the forums awhile back but I’ve really enjoyed it. Lewis and Clark set off across America not only to explore the interior but to identify and destroy the many monstrous beasts that lurk there. Some arcs better than others but altogether pretty strong and hangs together really well as a complete story. Ongoing, sixth volume was recently released. Couple of issues annoyingly in French.

Curse Words - a sweary wizard known as WIZORD comes to earth to escape his evil master who repeatedly sends rival wizards to attack him. Wizord is aided by a sidekick named Margaret who is sometimes a koala and sometimes a platypus. Wizord is generally a good guy but is shown to be pretty shady at times while his ex-boss and minions are unabashedly evil, but in a recent issue it was heavily implied that actually it is Wizord who is the evil one, aha. Fun and very weird. Ongoing and currently collected into three volumes.

Edit: do we do anti-recommendations here? I just read the new Dark Horse “The Land That Time Forgot” tbp - been really looking forward to it because I loved the film as a kid. It’s baaaaaaaad.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 18, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you like hickman check out Manhattan projects

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I dug Nailbiter and have really been enjoying Birthright by Joshua Williamson. I like the way he structures and doles out his stories.

The new Prophet series that Brandon Graham did was pretty rad, lots of really out-there Moebius/Jodorowsky style sci-fi art and concepts.

Remender was mentioned but I'd specifically bring up Low. The setting is an interesting shift from a typical space location and the art is beautiful. I don't think I ever finished it though, was the 19th issue actually a conclusion to the series?

Lazarus by Greg Rucka was interesting, though I dropped it as well during a hiatus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has anybody read this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Curveball-Yea...rveball+omnibus

https://www.amazon.ca/Curveball-Yea...s=Comic+omnibus

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Three. its's about three slaves who tries to escape from the spartans.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've heard Lobo brought up a few times in the last couple of days. It made me wanna read some Lobo. Any recs for a one shot or mini series?

I read the one with Santa. I believe I own a Sam Kieth miniseries (which wasn't good). That's about alls I got.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wicked and the Divine I think it's wrapping up soon, so there's plenty of trades available (Gillen and McKelvie apparently had a specific enough plan for how they wanted the series to go and eventually end they wrote out a bible so someone else could finish it in case the died in a plane crash or something).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Uthor posted:

I've heard Lobo brought up a few times in the last couple of days. It made me wanna read some Lobo. Any recs for a one shot or mini series?

I read the one with Santa. I believe I own a Sam Kieth miniseries (which wasn't good). That's about alls I got.

A Contract on Gawd is the best Lobo series, in my opinion.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

Anything involving Keith Giffen, Alan Grant, and/or Simon Bisley is probably what you want. They did a whole bunch of Lobo miniseries and one-shots back in the 90s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lobo has a fun part in 52, and he was in Steve Orlando's JLA, which was okay, but nothing really revolved around him.

edit: The climax of the great Superman: American Alien was a fight against Lobo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 12, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Uthor posted:

The OG Omega Men Lobo appearances are interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

What's a good place to start with Godzilla comics?