Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Not sure the decisions rating makes sense for the name

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't want to get promoted my first season but I also get really annoyed when I lose games so I'm sitting second on goal difference, playing kids as my back four, and mashing the Demand More button when they have the nerve to concede a goal away at Forest.

Had a deservedly dodgy January and almost binned the save. I'm a mess.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One of the nice quality of Life features is when you click a player to be substituted, it highlights the players who play that position, and the assistant puts an icon next to the person he recommends come on for him

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SirFozzie posted:

One of the nice quality of Life features is when you click a player to be substituted, it highlights the players who play that position, and the assistant puts an icon next to the person he recommends come on for him

This is good, especially when you don't have someone that is proficient in that position.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Given all the positive reviews on here and steam, i've cracked and bought it. Figured I'd share that it's 20% off on fanatical for another 10 days.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/football-manager-2019

Also came with FM 19 touch for free.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm still on 18 as I don't want to abandon my save, but I'm wondering if there's a way to tell how to change up your tactics and squad rotation dependent on the upcoming team. I'm using a sunday league's no nonsense first 442 mostly, and doing extremely well with hoofing the ball up, along with a 4-5-1 and a 4-2-3-1. I usually stick with the defensive 442 but sometimes it'll fall on its arse and other times it'll work wonders. Once the season develops a little I start to rely on where on the table my opponents are, their recent form, and whether I'm away from home or not. A big aspect of it for me is when to rotate players. I've definitely reloaded saves after I get an idea of what I'm up against, and the swings are huge. Going from losing 4-1 to winning 2-1. That doesn't seem to be just the RNG but sometimes even the small changes I've made in the tactics, like changing just three players in the starting line up.

While I've definitely save-scummed to success (getting promoted way beyond my ability, my team's ability, and my club's reputation so now I can't sign players.) I'd be far more inclined to stick with results if I didn't go from a series of three wins two draws, convincing wins and well fought draws, to losing 4-1 to a mid-table team. Reloading is a pain in the arse, but when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing based on reading the stats I'm not too bothered about that. Basically I'm wondering when do I go more conservative, when do I rest/rotate players, why does a defensive tactic win out at home against a team 10 places below me but an attacking tactic will be the third placed team away from home?

At least this season reloading won't make any difference. I've gone from VNL-North to League two in five years. No-one will sign for me. And I'm about to get roundly trounced. My karmic reward for playing god.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure how much mentoring the AI will do, but the general character of a squad will definitely have an impact on players you send out on a long-term loan (unless they're massive egomaniacs who view their teammates with nothing but contempt, which they should if you're sending them down a level or two to get games).

Collecting all the wonderkids and hoarding them in your youth system is way less viable a strategy than it used to be. Development is generally slower and less consistent, and if you don't manage things properly you can ruin a lot of investments.

Better by far to stick with only a handful of kids, get them in the first team, give them games and quality mentoring and build the rest of your team out of ready-made veterans.

It is still viable at the very top level. I'm 6 seasons in, and over the last 5 seasons I've spent £160million on regens*. So around £32 million a year, or around a third of my transfer budgets. As a result though, I now have 4 first team players and 6 substitutes from that haul. Call it £16 million per player? They are all under 21, with the first team players being valued at £25 mil, 2x £42 mil and £54 mil while the subs are mostly around the £15 mil mark with a few in the £40ms and £50ms and one who's still sub £10 million because he's a young Keeper with very little play time. I've also sold one for around £20 million already (so £140 million net spend, or £14 million per match day squad player) and have a bunch out on loan or in the first team squad but not the matchday 18 who will either step up into the team, end up valuable reserve players or sell for £20 million plus. Based on their development already, my youth hoarding should be profitable in about 2 or 3 years when I start letting the first batch of "failed" prospects go. And it's already allowed me to have an overall net transfer profit at the club while building a far better team than Arsenal start with, despite a few vanity purchases, some of which went wrong and lost me money.

And it isn't hurting my development of my own players either, there's three players in my first XI from my academy and another out on loan who might make the step up next year.

*I'm not including a £66 million 18 year old regen I just paid up for because he's not a development player, he's straight into the first team to replace De Ligt who went to Real Madrid for £124 million

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

I'm still on 18 as I don't want to abandon my save, but I'm wondering if there's a way to tell how to change up your tactics and squad rotation dependent on the upcoming team. I'm using a sunday league's no nonsense first 442 mostly, and doing extremely well with hoofing the ball up, along with a 4-5-1 and a 4-2-3-1. I usually stick with the defensive 442 but sometimes it'll fall on its arse and other times it'll work wonders. Once the season develops a little I start to rely on where on the table my opponents are, their recent form, and whether I'm away from home or not. A big aspect of it for me is when to rotate players. I've definitely reloaded saves after I get an idea of what I'm up against, and the swings are huge. Going from losing 4-1 to winning 2-1. That doesn't seem to be just the RNG but sometimes even the small changes I've made in the tactics, like changing just three players in the starting line up.

While I've definitely save-scummed to success (getting promoted way beyond my ability, my team's ability, and my club's reputation so now I can't sign players.) I'd be far more inclined to stick with results if I didn't go from a series of three wins two draws, convincing wins and well fought draws, to losing 4-1 to a mid-table team. Reloading is a pain in the arse, but when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing based on reading the stats I'm not too bothered about that. Basically I'm wondering when do I go more conservative, when do I rest/rotate players, why does a defensive tactic win out at home against a team 10 places below me but an attacking tactic will be the third placed team away from home?

At least this season reloading won't make any difference. I've gone from VNL-North to League two in five years. No-one will sign for me. And I'm about to get roundly trounced. My karmic reward for playing god.

Watch the first 10-15 minutes of each match on full and see what the opposition are doing.

Defensive tactics work better against poor teams because poor teams will sit back with 10 men behind the ball, so playing quick attacking stuff to your 2 or 3 up top is going to be nullified easily. FM's defensive tactics are patient, waiting for openings and for midfielders and fullbacks to join in and find/create space.

Attacking tactics work best against teams that are going to press high and try to win the ball off you, as they leave space in behind for your attacking players to exploit. When you're getting promotion after promotion you can ride a wave of underestimation for a long, long time.

Basically do the opposite of what you would assume based on real life football and you'll overachieve consistently without reloading.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
For example, my best centre half has been playing like poo poo for 6 months, and I can only keep clean sheets if I play a 19 year old with worse attributes in every way in his position.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I just finished my first season, have a 'must respond' item in my inbox to speak with the squad about my plans for next season, and when I click on it I get told I can't hold a team meeting in the offseason and so can't progress any further. That plus a whole lot of weird issues during matches where I can only make 2 subs, or assists being credited to the wrong player, or shots on target not getting counted, seems like this is the buggiest version in a while

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I've had a bug like that in an older version. You should be able to holiday to the next day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bogan Krkic posted:

seems like this is the buggiest version in a while

Say FM players every single November

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Has anyone seen vital stats for players (height, weight, etc)? They're not on the player information screen any more. (Though it could just be the skin)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Does age/experience/experience at the right level play an important part in how well a player will play? Say you have two players, both with the exact same stats, except one is a player aged 27 with 200 matches at the league's level under their belt, and the other is aged 18/19/20 with only a couple of dozen matches played. Will the engine take into account that one player is older (and wiser), more experienced, more settled, etc. and increase their ability to perform well in a game? I have some ok players, but they're mostly young and it's for their potential I have them (which does seem to be good.) They're hovering around the same stats as my older players but they're performing less well. I know the hidden stats play a part, but I'm wondering if the age thing also plays a part, whereby simply giving them experience will make them more solid in games?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Does age/experience/experience at the right level play an important part in how well a player will play? Say you have two players, both with the exact same stats, except one is a player aged 27 with 200 matches at the league's level under their belt, and the other is aged 18/19/20 with only a couple of dozen matches played. Will the engine take into account that one player is older (and wiser), more experienced, more settled, etc. and increase their ability to perform well in a game? I have some ok players, but they're mostly young and it's for their potential I have them (which does seem to be good.) They're hovering around the same stats as my older players but they're performing less well. I know the hidden stats play a part, but I'm wondering if the age thing also plays a part, whereby simply giving them experience will make them more solid in games?

"Older and wiser" is part of the player's mental attributes. What you see is what you get.

Young players making their debuts can suffer a little anxiety (especially if they've got low Pressure) but as in real life half a dozen matches is more than enough of an adaption period.

I think Consistency improves with age so check assistant reports for any warnings on players young and old. "Fairly inconsistent" is something like 7/25 matches played at their visible mental & technical attributes, while "Fairly consistent" kicks in around 14/25.

If attributes mattered it would be a pretty significant factor in performance.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tfw 3 players get booked in the first half, you tell them all individually to calm down at half time, then a fourth player picks up 2 yellows in the first 5 minutes of the second half :ughh:

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Masonity posted:

It is still viable at the very top level. I'm 6 seasons in, and over the last 5 seasons I've spent £160million on regens*. So around £32 million a year, or around a third of my transfer budgets. As a result though, I now have 4 first team players and 6 substitutes from that haul. Call it £16 million per player? They are all under 21, with the first team players being valued at £25 mil, 2x £42 mil and £54 mil while the subs are mostly around the £15 mil mark with a few in the £40ms and £50ms and one who's still sub £10 million because he's a young Keeper with very little play time. I've also sold one for around £20 million already (so £140 million net spend, or £14 million per match day squad player) and have a bunch out on loan or in the first team squad but not the matchday 18 who will either step up into the team, end up valuable reserve players or sell for £20 million plus. Based on their development already, my youth hoarding should be profitable in about 2 or 3 years when I start letting the first batch of "failed" prospects go. And it's already allowed me to have an overall net transfer profit at the club while building a far better team than Arsenal start with, despite a few vanity purchases, some of which went wrong and lost me money.

And it isn't hurting my development of my own players either, there's three players in my first XI from my academy and another out on loan who might make the step up next year.

*I'm not including a £66 million 18 year old regen I just paid up for because he's not a development player, he's straight into the first team to replace De Ligt who went to Real Madrid for £124 million

Yeah, it works the same way as it's always worked going up the leagues too. You're cash-strapped and you have a low reputation, so the good prime-age players won't come near you. Big club castoff regens, regens from other small clubs (if you're in a country where small clubs can produce decent players), loans and old men. Of course, development almost doesn't matter because of bad facilities + boards just taking the big offers.

Happy about my very smart, very fast, technically horrendous new signing miraculously scoring a Goal in his debut

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Gotta say seeing my team "overwhelmed from feedback" when were 1-0 up and I'm yelling encouragement while on the preseason tour is a new thing for sure.

Shouts and teamtalks as a whole seem more varied from fm18. What shouts have you guys been using?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Give the fans something to cheer for > There's more to come from you and I believe you have what it takes > Demand More > Demand More > Things are going well keep it up > Demand More > Demand More > Demand More > (Aggressive) I'm not happy

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

sassassin posted:

Give the fans something to cheer for > There's more to come from you and I believe you have what it takes > Demand More > Demand More > Things are going well keep it up > Demand More > Demand More > Demand More > (Aggressive) I'm not happy

The Mourinho?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've just convinced Anthony Martial to take a significant pay cut to come play for West Ham in the Europa League and he's got a goal and an assist on debut, making it 3 goals in 4 appearances over 2 years for him lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

please don't post what my gf says to me in bed

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

I just... wow.

:golfclap:

Well played.

I caved and bought '19. Four months in, and this may be the best release version since '12. The skin is hideous, but the dark skin is fine. Otherwise, I have no complaints so far.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

:thurman:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Team talks will always be aggressively demand a win + assertively believe in them

Position stuff is bullshit, there's no reason why the highest CA/CP winger in the world would only be able to play MR and not AMR.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Still feels good to see green dots all over the field in the tactics editor tho

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUBNTLTyqU

This looks horrendously offside to me, but wasn't flagged.

Other than that, I'm quite enjoying this year's offering. The tactical style presets are quite nice, I'd not really been a fan of the last couple of years tactics and had pretty much resorted to downloading one (which seemed like a confusing mix of contradictory player and team instructions that somehow proved effective).

Player searching and scouting at LLM still seems like a bit of a chore, but otherwise the game seems like a solid improvement this year.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 13, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUBNTLTyqU

This looks horrendously offside to me, but wasn't flagged.

Debatable. He was offside for the shot, which you don't have to flag if he's not considered active, and once it's deflected he's free to get involved.

You see them given both ways irl.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Debatable. He was offside for the shot, which you don't have to flag if he's not considered active, and once it's deflected he's free to get involved.

You see them given both ways irl.

I guess, if the other team had scored it against me, I'd probably be raging.

It was more that he never made any attempt to not be offside and was moving toward the ball that made me think it would be given (& whether a deflection would constitute a separate phase of play - since it's not a deliberate attempt to play the ball by the defender). I thought rebounds and deflections merited offside decisions.

Also Man Utd seem to be horrendously powerful this version. 4-5-1 with Vertical tiki-taka unbeaten in 28 and only conceded 9 goals all season.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 13, 2018

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've had quite a few goals ruled out for offside which were virtually identical to that one for Southampton that Charlie Austin had a melt down about, and it's driving me nuts. Someone will be standing offside on the other side of the goal, no where near anyone, and the goal gets ruled out because of it.

On the other hand, I also just had the sweetest revenge I've ever had in an FM game. I got stomped 5-1 away to Chelsea in the league in the second to last game of the season, which saw them leapfrog me into 7th and seal the last Europa League qualification place. Except then we played them 2 weeks later in the Europa League final, scored an equaliser and then winner in injury time, which saw us qualify for the CL for the first time, and them lose any european football :getin:

Also, has anyone noticed that clubs seem far more willing in this version to sell players for their estimated value, rather than well over? I've had offers of around $20 mil accepted for Ben Yedder, Schick, Barkley, Ziyech and Alvares Balanta, because I've made an offer at their estimated value just to see what counter offer the club would come back with, and instead my offer has been accepted without question. And now I've gotta work out which players I actually prefer, rather than signing the ones I haven't been priced out of like normal

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm still on 18, but I had a really good Argentine wonderkid whose listed value was $18.5M, I had his asking price set at $80M because gently caress you, fellow megabastards, he's MINE.

Then, yesterday, out of nowhere, River Plate came in with a non-negotiable offer of... $103M plus 30% next sale profit. :stare:

I actually very nearly rejected it, because as soon as I read the words "$TEAM has made a non-negotiable offer for $WONDERKID" my hand is already moving my mouse pointer to the Reject button without my even actively thinking about it. Teams making lowball offers for my best players is just daily spam, you know? My brain registered the numbers and stopped my index finger just in time.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm still on 18, but I had a really good Argentine wonderkid whose listed value was $18.5M, I had his asking price set at $80M because gently caress you, fellow megabastards, he's MINE.

Then, yesterday, out of nowhere, River Plate came in with a non-negotiable offer of... $103M plus 30% next sale profit. :stare:

I actually very nearly rejected it, because as soon as I read the words "$TEAM has made a non-negotiable offer for $WONDERKID" my hand is already moving my mouse pointer to the Reject button without my even actively thinking about it. Teams making lowball offers for my best players is just daily spam, you know? My brain registered the numbers and stopped my index finger just in time.

I would have my doubts that there is going to be much of any profit for a future transfer if his selling price is 103M

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

gtkor posted:

I would have my doubts that there is going to be much of any profit for a future transfer if his selling price is 103M

There's always a chance one of the Spanish giants will come in with a £160m offer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

Also Man Utd seem to be horrendously powerful this version. 4-5-1 with Vertical tiki-taka unbeaten in 28 and only conceded 9 goals all season.

United's players have very generous hidden attributes from what I've seen. Researcher knows how to game the system.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Where the gently caress did River get that kind of transfer budget is what I'm wondering.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah that was my first question too but fax in the paperwork first, ask questions later!

I checked with the editor and River's transfer and wage budgets are both $0 (transfer is $0 and wage bill = wage budget) now but they have $330M in cash reserves. The offer was $69M up front, $20M deferred and $14M for 10 international appearances (which it will only take him two years or so to rack up so it's basically "as long as he doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury very soon" money). :shrug:

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
What's their outgoing transfer history look like? Sounds like they may have a few big sales to plump up the transfer kitty.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

So I think the Pele challenge may be beyond me. I'm too fond of discovering wonder strikers and ended up with 3 up front...

That said, at 18 he's developed well.

The other two are 20 and 22, so basically old men!

- 13 mil 2 seasons ago

- 10.5 mil 2 seasons ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Masonity posted:

- 13 mil 2 seasons ago

what if Crouch, but good