Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

therobit posted:

In SE portland, a lot of houses were built without prior to it being a given that people would own a car. In more recently built neighborhoods, a ton of people don't use them for cars because it doesn't snow much here.

The city also relaxed a code requirement that new buildings (expensive non affordable ones generally) don’t need to build garages, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Most of Boston having a garage is pretty uncommon because it wasn't a thing. You basically have to get something built recently, or on a plot with the space to add one.

If you are lucky you get an off-street spot in a driveway or something; otherwise it's street parking.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

a cyberpunk goose posted:

The city also relaxed a code requirement that new buildings (expensive non affordable ones generally) don’t need to build garages, iirc

Yes, basically anything under 35 units. So we are in the middle of a housing crisis and all the apartment buildings going in are under 35 units.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

This is the problem when you go a decade with massive growth year-after-year. We need more regular market corrections to bring each generation up to speed on the realities.

Or not, I'll just wait for the next huge crash that gets pent up and buy more.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

therobit posted:

Yes, basically anything under 35 units. So we are in the middle of a housing crisis and all the apartment buildings going in are under 35 units.

Hot take, there are some places where apartments will simply never be affordable no matter what city planners say without very significant increases in real wages or a very significant decrease in housing prices. There is no question that many planning requirements, particularly those involving parking, green space, and setbacks very significantly decrease the affordability of housing, but in a lot of places apartments are like 300 or 500% away from most operational definitions of affordable and not like 30 or 50%.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I just think they should require those things at any size of development and stop allowing waivers to the ratio of affordable units requirement so that we stop incentivizing smaller buildings.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bash everything down and build 50 story concrete soulless apartment blocks on the remains

unironically

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

This is the problem when you go a decade with massive growth year-after-year. We need more regular market corrections to bring each generation up to speed on the realities.

Or not, I'll just wait for the next huge crash that gets pent up and buy more.

same but with housing and also even moreso

Jan 11, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bash everything down and build 50 story concrete soulless apartment blocks on the remains

unironically

Then you will have vacant $1000/sqft units in 50 story soulless apartment blocks, unless you also want to seize the land for free and require real estate developers and construction workers to work for free. Look at NYC, there is no such thing as an affordable skyscraper when the land that it is sitting on costs a billion dollars unless it is a subsidized housing project or the city requires the developer to build a back entrance and put 15% of the units below market as part of a planning deal

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

therobit posted:

Also they aren't building anything period on account of Inclusionary Housing. Oops!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've never heard of garages as a regional trend, heh. Are you saying that like... Houses werent built with garages here, or that people use them as storage instead of car parking because of the mild weather?
Just about all single-family houses in Minneapolis and St. Paul have garages, but a surprising percentage of old Boomers are secret hoarders and use those garages as junk storage once their extra rooms and porches reach capacity. They then rabidly fight any bike lane construction because it would take up "their" street parking spots.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Then you will have vacant $1000/sqft units in 50 story soulless apartment blocks, unless you also want to seize the land for free and require real estate developers and construction workers to work for free. Look at NYC, there is no such thing as an affordable skyscraper when the land that it is sitting on costs a billion dollars unless it is a subsidized housing project or the city requires the developer to build a back entrance and put 15% of the units below market as part of a planning deal
"Hey guys, new buildings are so astronomically expensive, let's just keep on with the status quo which is totally perfect!" If building more homes where people want to live isn't the answer, than what the gently caress is?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/19/upshot/forty-percent-of-manhattans-buildings-could-not-be-built-today.html

Jan 11, 2004

I totally agree that many building codes and planning requirements make it much more difficult to build affordable housing by requiring expensive luxuries like ground level and aerial setbacks, parking, and green space that cut square footage. Worse yet many aspects of it are weaponized NIMBYism.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Give it a couple of years, the market will correct itself.

I'm the bubble disguised as a recovery.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Buying property outside of a recession is BWM.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I totally agree that many building codes and planning requirements make it much more difficult to build affordable housing by requiring expensive luxuries like ground level and aerial setbacks, parking, and green space that cut square footage. Worse yet many aspects of it are weaponized NIMBYism.

Legislation requiring affordable housing causes a shortage of normal and affordable housing.

Tax incentives good*, legal requirements bad.

*less bad

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

housing is a human right

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The answer is yes, the city should seize the land and turn it into subsidized housing, but this is really a discussion for another thread.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

housing is a human right

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Let people build, a developer always thinks they are the smartest person in the room and you’ll get cheaper housing prices if you just let them overbuild in good times.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

housing is a human right

I don't know what this expression means exactly, but we should all give generously to nonprofits that build low income housing in our cities. They do it faster, better and cheaper than for-profit developers that are being legislated into doing it.

Like silvergoose said, this isn't the thread topic but I'll make it tangential by saying it's BWM to try and force other people's money into subsidizing housing. Use your own, and use lots of it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't know what this expression means exactly, but we should all give generously to nonprofits that build low income housing in our cities. They do it faster, better and cheaper than for-profit developers that are being legislated into doing it.

Like silvergoose said, this isn't the thread topic but I'll make it tangential by saying it's BWM to try and force other people's money into subsidizing housing. Use your own, and use lots of it.
FYI: Libertarian douchebags like this are not remotely representative of the growing number of people, predominantly on the left, who are fighting for neighborhoods to welcome new neighbors. Governments enabling private construction of new homes to meet demand and investing directly in new affordable housing options are both required to carry our cities through the shitstorm the 21st century has in store for us.

Government investment in stable housing for its residents is a force that can help ensure they have a chance to make a future for themselves, ultimately bettering society and the economy, and is thus very, very good with money.

But yeah, the thread for this discussion is probably here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864792

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cugel the Clever posted:

FYI: Libertarian douchebags like this are not remotely representative of the growing number of people, predominantly on the left, who are fighting for neighborhoods to welcome new neighbors. Governments enabling private construction of new homes to meet demand and investing directly in new affordable housing options are both required to carry our cities through the shitstorm the 21st century has in store for us.

Government investment in stable housing for its residents is a force that can help ensure they have a chance to make a future for themselves, ultimately bettering society and the economy, and is thus very, very good with money.

But yeah, the thread for this discussion is probably here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864792

Are you saying I'm the libertarian douchebag? I don't follow.

I'm overwhelmingly for government investment in low income housing and it is also my career, lol. Government investment =/= government legislation of how private parties spend their money.

EDIT ew dude don't link DnD in here

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Give it a couple of years, the market will correct itself.

I'm the bubble disguised as a recovery.

i would really like for this to extend to the 80's bc i think there was another housing bubble back then that broke. an economic book i read mentioned the savings and loans crisis and i think that had to do with houses?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

ah yes, just rely on charity to fix it good idea

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Senor Dog posted:

ah yes, just rely on charity to fix it good idea

You seem to have heard "Rely on someone else to fix it"

What was said was "be a part of fixing it".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

i would really like for this to extend to the 80's bc i think there was another housing bubble back then that broke. an economic book i read mentioned the savings and loans crisis and i think that had to do with houses?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_United_States_housing_bubble

Yeah, there was a bad real estate bust in the mid-80’s. Texas, for instance got killed in both empty office buildings and the oil busts. It took them a decade to recover. But I think that was mostly commercial properties and not residential homes.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Krispy Wafer posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_United_States_housing_bubble

Yeah, there was a bad real estate bust in the mid-80’s. Texas, for instance got killed in both empty office buildings and the oil busts. It took them a decade to recover. But I think that was mostly commercial properties and not residential homes.

Homes got wiped out as well. That combined with all the cities expanding outward made it so there wasn’t much a housing bubble there during the 00s.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot take but leaving a car you can't afford to replace if it gets completely wrecked or stolen out on the street is BWM

gently caress you

Then choose a car inexpensive enough that it won't ruin you financially and you can easily replace it if it is totaled by a hit and run, stolen, or whatever. Or alternately have low deductible comprehensive insurance, which is expensive for cars parked outside and BWM in its own way.

double gently caress you

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait until we’re black diamond.

:perfect:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't know what this expression means exactly

"housing is a human right" means that all human beings have the fundamental right to a home

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

"housing is a human right" means that all human beings have the fundamental right to a home

I think the same thing about sex with relatively attractive new partners on a weekly or at least monthly basis

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sorry, what does it mean to say it? Is it a reference to actions you take outside of the forums?

My line of work is extracting actual effort and resources from people to create affordable housing so I always get a kick out of the nice platitudes people come up with.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Droo posted:

I think the same thing about sex with relatively attractive new partners on a weekly or at least monthly basis

:yikes:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

the nice platitudes people come up with.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

You'll have to lay it out for me. I don't understand and won't put effort into decoding your dig at me.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Platitudes are cheap. How many housing units for the homeless did you build this year?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SlapActionJackson posted:

Platitudes are cheap. How many housing units for the homeless did you build this year?

Many people lack the skills to build housing. You can make a huge difference with your pocketbook and your voter's ballot!

our work got measure c passed in san francisco so @jack's money is gonna go towards building them :)

good poo poo guy :cheers:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

our work got measure c passed in san francisco so @jack's money is gonna go towards stuff for unhomed people :)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's time to add GGCC to your ignore lists, people

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This thread was doing so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When you rely on charity, the people who look like rich people do well, but minorities don't.

When you legislate it, everyone gets a chance.