Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

Sure buddy, sure. Let us all think about all the great full steam Shelton pushes and how his own lack of effort derailed them.

B-but they gave him a mamma!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WWE has gotten completely behind people who didn't fully love wrestling or didn't put maximum effort in. I wonder what the difference is between them and Shelton Benjamin who they never pushed past the IC title and yet people claim they really wanted to push him but he was so darned lazy.

Hmmm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why, next you'll be saying he has something in common with the other notable lazy worker, Kofi Kingston, who as we all recall, utterly failed to get over during his brief feud with world champ Randy Orton.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Why push yourself to be main event when it seems like they theyve decided before you ever showed up

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Meanwhile Shelton's classmate Brock, who by all accounts doesn't like wrestling or the people in it, who embarrassed the company by leaving and successfully fighting their exploitative talent model in court, was re-hired on a "do whatever you want, really" contract in which he works 10 dates a year, has utterly destroyed everyone no matter how protected they are, and been busted for PEDs while competing for the company's only serious market rival.

But you know, it's about dedication and merit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Meanwhile Shelton's classmate Brock, who by all accounts doesn't like wrestling or the people in it, who embarrassed the company by leaving and successfully fighting their exploitative talent model in court, was re-hired on a "do whatever you want, really" contract in which he works 10 dates a year, has utterly destroyed everyone no matter how protected they are, and been busted for PEDs while competing for the company's only serious market rival.

But you know, it's about dedication and merit.

So what is Shelton's excuse for how completely irrelevant he was outside WWE while Brock was one of the biggest stars in MMA history?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rare Magic card l00k posted:

So what is Shelton's excuse for how completely irrelevant he was outside WWE while Brock was one of the biggest stars in MMA history?
he's worse at real fighting but better at fake fighting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WGTT were immediately brought into ROH and treated as a huge deal and he hung around at the same level in NJPW as he was in WWE.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Calling the UFC a rival to the WWE is a bit of a stretch. Maybe in the early Zuffa years but really they captured the entire WWE casual fan base in the mid 2000s haven't looked back since.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Everybody overlooked his obviously overwhelming charisma and mic work that rivaled the Rock in his prime, apparently. The fact he never did anything to improve when the company pushed him has nothing to do with it, of course.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

WGTT were immediately brought into ROH and treated as a huge deal and he hung around at the same level in NJPW as he was in WWE.

I thought pushing him as hard as WWE did was bad though...?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I thought pushing him as hard as WWE did was bad though...?

One company treated him like WWE, one treated him like he was a big deal. Either way he wasn't completely irrelevant and since people were actually jazzed for the first meeting of KoW and WGTT there was something there. I don't think Shelton is a main event level guy but the idea WWE ever actually pushed him as one is laughable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In conclusion, Shelton Benjamin is a wrestler of contrasts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let's consider Randy Orton, who started at almost the same time as Benjamin, actually crossed the "automatically fired for drug violations" line without getting fired, wasn't even that good until 2006, and started as a fuckup with a bad attitude who went into wrestling because he washed out of the marines.

TBF Shelton's finisher needed a better name than Beeboo Crawshanks and that probably held him back

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Calling the UFC a rival to the WWE is a bit of a stretch. Maybe in the early Zuffa years but really they captured the entire WWE casual fan base in the mid 2000s haven't looked back since.

They're still a rival even if they're eating the WWE's lunch. This is highlighted by WWE repeatedly and loudly asserting that they are not afraid of, impressed by, or interested in UFC when stars give interviews, and then making a crossover star the center of the company with a contract where he shows up less than Hogan in WCW.

Let me be real clear here that I am not debating so much whether Brock and Randy are better than Shelton. Just that whenever a star or backstage guy starts going on about earning the brass ring, it's hooey from people who know who butters their bread. It's not a meritocracy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

One company treated him like WWE, one treated him like he was a big deal. Either way he wasn't completely irrelevant and since people were actually jazzed for the first meeting of KoW and WGTT there was something there. I don't think Shelton is a main event level guy but the idea WWE ever actually pushed him as one is laughable.

To be fair they did push him as a main event guy. For about 2 weeks.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if what shelton benjamin did outside the wwe from 2010-2014 is irrelevant then what would even qualify as relevant

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

if what shelton benjamin did outside the wwe from 2010-2014 is irrelevant then what would even qualify as relevant

main eventing Wrestlemania, brother

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

Go win a UFC title or don't bother calling

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At Wrestle Kingdom 8, Shelton teamed with MiSu against YTR and THE GREAT MUTA. Which sounds like an utterly bonkers match of 4 completely different peopl.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he has g1 wins over marufuji and ibushi and wrestled masato tanaka in the dome

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shelton being a member of Suzuki-gun still seems very odd

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Suzuki and Shelton are both shooters

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Suzuki and Sabre actually seem like the odd ones out in their own stable now.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I don't really understand replying to "Brock hates wrestling and never works and gets pushed anyway, hard work doesn't mean poo poo" with "well uhhh Brock did good in MMA"

like, that's not a refute, that's not even relevant

it just comes off as weirdly defensive of Brock

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
also if working your rear end off for a rival company counts toward your meritocracy points then DDP's WWE run would have looked a lot different

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I don't really understand replying to "Brock hates wrestling and never works and gets pushed anyway, hard work doesn't mean poo poo" with "well uhhh Brock did good in MMA"

like, that's not a refute, that's not even relevant

it just comes off as weirdly defensive of Brock

....The point is 'he gets pushed hard despite being lazy BECAUSE he did good in MMA so Vince sees him as a star". It's not refutation. It's support.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

....The point is 'he gets pushed hard despite being lazy BECAUSE he did good in MMA so Vince sees him as a star". It's not refutation. It's support.

I don't think he's lazy, he just hits every checkbox for guy who will supposedly never get pushed in WWE because he's the anti-model of what all these other young guys are theoretically supposed to do.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

He 100% keeps getting pushed cause he left and made money elsewhere and it drives Vince crazy. He also probably is there only draw remaining now as they've downplayed Cena

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Everybody overlooked his obviously overwhelming charisma and mic work that rivaled the Rock in his prime, apparently.

Implying that Jack Swagger and Kozlov were as charismatic as the Rock.

quote:

The fact he never did anything to improve when the company pushed him has nothing to do with it, of course.

Can you share specific examples of this happening? Like him botching in a big singles match or messing up his lines in a main event segment?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also if working your rear end off for a rival company counts toward your meritocracy points then DDP's WWE run would have looked a lot different

It does if it makes you a bigger draw and star. DDP was an over midcarder and flopped as a main eventer. Brock was one of the biggest stars in the history of UFC. Could DDP have been used better? Sure. But he wasn't the kind of star Brock was where he created a lot of first time fans of UFC, former WWE fans.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wouldn't Goldberg be a better comparison to a superstar from a rival promotion? And of course he got a huge push in WWE.

I love Page but he was never the biggest WCW star. He was one of the few homegrown stars they had at the time but he wasn't the biggest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Meanwhile Shelton's classmate Brock, who by all accounts doesn't like wrestling or the people in it,
To be fair, I don't think Brock likes MMA or anyone in MMA, nor "being a human in society" or any people at all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, I don't think Brock likes MMA or anyone in MMA, nor "being a human in society" or any people at all.

He might like his kids, maybe.

His wife and he may be married due to their dislike for everybody else.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kind of imagine Brock and Sable just sitting and silently watching tv and or working out without acknowledging each other and that’s how both of them like it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I imagine he likes Heyman, he's godfather to Brock's kids. Then again maybe he doesn't like his kids

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brock loves the dude handing out paychecks

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

oldpainless posted:

Brock loves the dude handing out paychecks

In the same way you love the atm.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna post this here too since he’s technically a wrestler??

[

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’m not sure exactly where to post this. I bought this almost a decade ago but I no longer have a lot of room to hang it at my new place. I’m a little reluctant to part with it because Kazushi Sakuraba is my favorite fighter ever but I don’t want this just hanging around in my basement or getting damaged

It’s Sakuraba and Royce’s signed gloves in a 3x2 foot glass frame with pictures and collector certifications. When Fatherdog was still here he gave me permission to advertise them. Shame he’s not still here and I’m still hesitant but if anyone was interested I’d be cool taking some offers cause I don’t want them to just stay in storage

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
how do you not have enough room to hang that in a place you own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’m gonna post this here too since he’s technically a wrestler??

[

there's a secret santa thread in this forum that nobody has signed up for, you should sign up and then give that to whoever is your secret santa. that would really draw people in to participate