Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

This is actually a masterpiece of storytelling and all you sjws are just jealous haters

I am actually a bit jealous that I can't find anyone stupid enough to give me $119k for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Creepy Uncle Ethan is leaving comicsgate (whatever that means) There's no way I'm going to watch his whiny 25 minute video about it, but I assume he will relaunch a darker more gritty version of it along with his teammates, Dickie and Knife Hands.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes ethan, just relabel your brand and we will all magically forget that youre a nazi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mallratcal posted:

Creepy Uncle Ethan is leaving comicsgate (whatever that means) There's no way I'm going to watch his whiny 25 minute video about it, but I assume he will relaunch a darker more gritty version of it along with his teammates, Dickie and Knife Hands.

I'm just guessing, while you can damage a lot of people's careers by yelling loudly on the internet, it permanently screws you too. Like some women (and probably some male allies too) have gotten hosed by this, but there is no way on earth either of the big two or Image are going to touch EVS with a ten foot pole. However bullshit their responses have been to the whole thing, they aren't going to pay him to make comics ever.

Also he really sucks at making comics so they probably weren't going to pay him money to make them anyways.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone is pretty much just posting all of meyers book on twitter to tear it down

https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061115342150385664

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

someone is pretty much just posting all of meyers book on twitter to tear it down

https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061115342150385664

"Comic books should be apolitical" *uses the word "fag" constantly*

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/...355273854599170

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How is this half a loving page? To think we used to complain about Bendis decompressing plots.
https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061116771669864449

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I'm just guessing, while you can damage a lot of people's careers by yelling loudly on the internet, it permanently screws you too. Like some women (and probably some male allies too) have gotten hosed by this, but there is no way on earth either of the big two or Image are going to touch EVS with a ten foot pole. However bullshit their responses have been to the whole thing, they aren't going to pay him to make comics ever.

Also he really sucks at making comics so they probably weren't going to pay him money to make them anyways.

Oh yeah, he is never going to get another gig with any of the larger (and probably smaller) companies again, and rightly so.

Dickie's writing is so loving bad! It's just embarrassing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061118400053891072

Holy poo poo, I did not think people still used this term without being ironic, and even then I thought they were racist.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061118400053891072

Holy poo poo, I did not think people still used this term without being ironic, and even then I thought they were racist.

What's up with that guy's arms?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

An actual thing someone thought should be released to the public as a piece of art. It's like a sketch based off a light bright. Greg Land and Robert Liefeld should take this guy aside and say "Son, Maybe you shouldn't draw for a living."
https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061123094125928448

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
You know, I'm not the pickiest comic reader.

I get enjoyment out of most comics I read, regardless of age.

I'm excitedly putting together a New Universe collection.

and a Star Comics collection.

Yes. I get excited over Heathcliff and Thundercats comics. Like I go SWEET when I find one.

Not a Star Comics, but I found a Dinosaurs comic (yes the TGIF muppet show) at the comic store and was sad that I didn't have money to buy it and had to have it held for me.

My point is I am really into this stuff. I'm all into comics. They are a fun wonderful medium.

My other point is that Iron Sights is the worst goddamn comic I've ever seen. I don't even know where to start. From the boring try hard dialogue. From all of the political stuff thats in non-political comics (theres a big old 'joke' about how unions are bad.) From the ugliest art I've ever seen.

But what gets me the most... is this guy trashed every single comic book he could find (okay to be nice he made half assed positive reviews just so he could point to said positive reviews) and then he puts out this. All kinds of god damned harassment that people are still getting. ALL of that poo poo for this. FOR THIS GOD drat MESS.

I don't care if this is a weird rambley mess I just had to yell about this stupid rear end in a top hat and his garbage trash comic.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wasting $20 on literal garbage to own the libs.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
as P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born ever minute" and comicsgate is complete proof of that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Principal Hellmann posted:

My other point is that Iron Sights is the worst goddamn comic I've ever seen. I don't even know where to start. From the boring try hard dialogue. From all of the political stuff thats in non-political comics (theres a big old 'joke' about how unions are bad.) From the ugliest art I've ever seen.

*I* could write and draw something better than this, and I'm a complete idiot.

FAKE EDIT: I'm tickled that someone else even remembers the New Universe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The preview pages had sepia toning right? So the book was going to be color at one point and they decided "gently caress it" and released glorified pencil art

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Who gives a gently caress about no-talent hacks like that. Time spend dissecting their work is time that could be spent on literally anything else.

The Brandon graham stuff is disappointing but moreso because this isn’t new.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:thunk:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That's actually pretty believable dialogue from an ICE agent

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jordan7hm posted:

Who gives a gently caress about no-talent hacks like that. Time spend dissecting their work is time that could be spent on literally anything else.
As someone who has spent way too much time exploring bad things/bad comics, I can appreciate the impulse to really unpack how something turned out so badly, be it Countdown to Final Crisis or Iron Sights.

I also think that at least part of the motivation of the "close read" of Iron Sights was to post half of the lovely comic onto Twitter under the figleaf of 'for review purposes' not just 'don't pay this rear end in a top hat, look at this poo poo'.

There's also slightly more-than-average reason to really dissect how lovely Richard Meyers's comics are because he's built his entire reputation and following on the principle of "these SJW millennials don't know how to make good comics, the art and writing in comics these days is SO BAD it's driving fans away, if I was in charge of comics they would be the best and everyone would love them, I know what makes good comics, my voice and the voices of my important friends are being silenced!" so when he's given the opportunity to Show Everyone How It's Done, really hammering home the utter bullshit of it is more relevant than like tracking down an issue of like.... a tertiary Extreme Studios book from 1995 and making fun of how awful it is, because Extreme Studios wasn't hurting anyone or declaring other publishers dumb whores or whatever.

This may be an unproductive rationale, but it's also why I'm fine with people making appearance based insults against Donald Trump, because he presents himself as this arbiter of other people's worth based on appearances, and as a big tough alpha male sex symbol gently caress machine, and is not. Mitch McConnell or Sarah Sanders or Ben Shapiro have never tried to set them up to be paragons of beauty and virility, so it seems cruel to mock them for it. Dedicating that amount of effort/vitriol to someone's Spider-Gwen fancomic would be cruel. Iron Sights deserves it.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Edge & Christian put it way better than I could have.

I assumed Iron Sights was going to be bad, but not THIS bad.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mallratcal posted:

Edge & Christian put it way better than I could have.

I assumed Iron Sights was going to be bad, but not THIS bad.

For reals. I assumed (rather stupidly in retrospect) that the comics chuds would have a decent to average artist do their work, like EVS. So we'd get a horribly written but otherwise average comic. Instead we got a comic that looks like it was done by a really racist twelve year old. It's like an onion of awful, because I would have missed about half the stuff the guy on Twitter is catching. Every time you think you have it all, there's another layer of stupid and racist to unpack.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EVS is a really great artist, and is by far the most talented that's openly supported CG. I'm glad he's decided to gently caress off and do his lovely indie comic, though, since it means I don't have to worry that he'll work on a comic I might be interested in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The comic book Reddit Discord is chatting about how comicgate is pretty much dead. They can't release jawbreakers because that could hurt their legal case. It also seems likely that they spent all their money on other things. Meyers has deleted his Twitter because it is a legal liability now. And apparently EVS quit.

So, all of them are no longer able to really advocate for their cause because of their own action and they are unemployable in the industry. So they're just going to sit and rot now. They might try to get back into the industry, but that will fail. They may try to make more kickstarter's but that's going to be problematic since they can never release their first one now. And iron sights is going to Forever taint them as being lovely at their job.

Apparently, the main leaders of comicsgate are hosed completely because of their own actions.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Covok posted:

Apparently, the main leaders of comicsgate are hosed completely because of their own actions.

Ain't it great?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder if anyone genuinely likes iron sights. I mean not just to own the libs or whatever, but actually sits down and enjoys reading it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mallratcal posted:

Ain't it great?

Yeah. It's actually really great. Through no fault of anyone else, they completely hosed their entire movement. And hate movements like this need a leader because they're based on the presentation of strength. Movements of peace are a little easier to be done without a clear leader because they're such a prosperous future that you can point to. So the movements going to flounder and sputter and become disorganized. They're still going to be pieces of poo poo harassing people on the internet, but they're not going to be able to organize and they're going to slowly fall apart and they're just not going to be effective.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1061730367047110656

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, maybe we (I say we, but I didn't actually do anything besides retweet stuff from smarter and more influential people) saved cartoons and anime.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1061785086264262656

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
loving lmao animegate

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Good on Erik also lol animegate and toongate. Going to be real funny seeing full grown men crying about She-Ra.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

site posted:

loving lmao animegate

Yeah good luck finding much support in a fan base that has a large percentage of women and minorities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mallratcal posted:

Good on Erik also lol animegate and toongate. Going to be real funny seeing full grown men crying about She-Ra.

I love people pretending they gave a poo poo about She-Ra before the new cartoon was announced. It was only on for like a year, my mom tells me I liked the show but I have no memories of it and knowing my young brain I probably thought it was just episodes of He-Man (It was off the air long after I realized Star Wars was three separate movies and not a tv show). I'm in my 30's

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

I love people pretending they gave a poo poo about She-Ra before the new cartoon was announced. It was only on for like a year, my mom tells me I liked the show but I have no memories of it and knowing my young brain I probably thought it was just episodes of He-Man (It was off the air long after I realized Star Wars was three separate movies and not a tv show). I'm in my 30's

Good chance your mom thought it wad an episode of He-Man too!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Good chance your mom thought it was an episode of He-Man too!

Nah, she was good about that kind of thing, never got the colors wrong with the ninja turtles headbands either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah good luck finding much support in a fan base that has a large percentage of women and minorities.

Hello yes Japanese creator who doesn't understand English, watch my 40 minute YouTube rant about how the anime industry that my crunchyroll account doesn't make a dent in (tho let's be honest they're pirating) has too many Asians and not enough white men

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Hello yes Japanese creator who doesn't understand English, watch my 40 minute YouTube rant about how the anime industry that my crunchyroll account doesn't make a dent in (tho let's be honest they're pirating) has too many Asians and not enough white men

Don't most white people read the main characters in Anime as white, since Japanese animators don't use American stereotypes when animating people from their own country (because why would they)? That's what I do until they do something weird with their shoes or an actual white person shows up and I'm like "I'd call that racist, except we nuked two of their cities so they can do what they want."

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 12, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"If they have big eyes they can't be asian" - Smart anime watcher guy that definitely understood NGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I loved He-Man and She-Ra when I was a child. I had almost the entire run of figures for both lines, but I can honestly say I haven't spent a minute thinking about either since the He-Man reboot got cancelled in 2004 (it was great btw).

I also thought the She-Ra trailer looked good so I'll give it a shot.